• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
Tampa
https://venturebeat.com/2019/01/10/...lion-fund-to-transition-devs-away-from-unity/

, and now competitor Epic Games is turning up the heat. Unity is cutting off future support for the online-multiplayer development platform SpatialOS from accessing its game-development toolkit. Improbable, the owner and operator of SpatialOS, posted a blog about this corporate spat and claimed this move threatens developers. In response, Unreal company Epic and Improbable revealed a $25 million fund for Unity devs. The companies plan to grant that cash to studios that leave Unity for other tools.

Epic boss Tim Sweeney and Improbable chief Herman Narula penned a joint blog this evening. In that post, they claim Unity is springing this change on developers. And they want to help developers that they claim Unity is hurting.

"To assist developers who are left in limbo by the new engine and service incompatibilities that were introduced today, Epic Games and Improbable are together establishing a $25 million combined fund to help developers transition to more open engines, services, and ecosystems," Sweeney and Narula wrote. "This funding will come from a variety of sources including Unreal Dev Grants, Improbable developer assistance funds, and Epic Games store funding."

Unity and Unreal are direct competitors. A significant number of indie developers use one or the other to make their games. And if a studio uses those engines they have to pay licensing fees or a share of revenue.

Epic is taking this opportunity to highlight one of the differences between itself and Unity. Unreal is slightly more open. And the company is using its Fortnite-fortified bank account to win over some converts.

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't this happen like today?
Epic sure is applying their games as a service knowledge to their business.

Seemed like an unfortunate situation for the unity devs that had no fault in the matter so that's good for them, I guess

Dio

Oct 25, 2017
and this was all Unity doing. such a dumb thing to do. i get doing it forward. not retroactively. fuck off with that.

Oct 28, 2017
Can someone please explain to me WHY on earth Unity would do this? This seems not only like a total dick move but a nonsensical one as well. As someone highly considering using Unity for my next project, this gives me extreme pause.

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
Did you guys read Unitys post at all about the situation? Dudes had a year's heads up they were in violation and ignored it.

Still, pretty good power move by Epic

JehutyRunner

Oct 26, 2017
Needless to say, all of the games business press - myself as a freelancer for a games biz website included - are literally ripping their hair and drowning their sorrows with alcohol right now after today. Just on this ONE. FUCKING. STORY.

Zips

Oct 25, 2017
Hey Epic, I don't develop any games. I don't have any games sold through Steam. I barely know how to code HTML, but can you like... I dunno, spot me like just $1 million? I'm not asking for much, but you seem to be tossing money around like it's going out of style, so I figure I'd ask.

Thanks.

GMM

Oct 27, 2017
As a Unity developer i am very troubled with what Unity Technologies is doing on the business side, what they did with improbable is incredibly messed up and i am afraid they will start becoming more restrictive in terms of licensing again. Unity as a business has in my mind lost their ways in trying to turn everything around the engine into services they can monitize developers on instead of giving the core toolset the resources it so desperately deserves. SRP, Job system, Burst and ECS are huge steps in the right direction, but the engine is very barebones and Unreal does pretty much everything better in a more consistent way.

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I really have to give it to Epic over the last few years to know just when to seize a fucking opportunity.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
Epic is going to create a 1 billion dollar fund to teach kids in impoverished areas to floss

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Time Sweeney probably has singular power in all of Epic right now, dude can veto a deal this fast.

Jamrock User

Jan 24, 2018
25 million is prob how much fortnite made on iOS this week...and they were just like sure..throw it at em.

Poutine

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
You're not going to get a good answer, most people still think Unity is in it's 4.X phase and haven't seen the 2017/2018 suite of changes which were all super good (and REALLY good for consoles)

I think most people still see Unity as the engine that made every 3$ "asset flip" games currently on the Steam store but not everything else it helped produced.

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
Right now Epic is in WW1 Machine Gun mode, shooting everything that moves for hours and hours.