• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Dec 14, 2019
Ubisoft has not said anything, but they aren't full exclusives anyway. There is quite a high chance that Ubisoft used this as an excuse to exit Steam and push Uplay more, because they want to sell Uplay+.

So far everything else is timed. The only known exception is Dauntless which was never on Steam but used its own launcher before they went with Epic.

Steam will allow EA's subscription services on Steam, so Ubisoft can push Uplay+ there as well.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Hmm, do we have a comparison for Steam this year or haven't they given figures yet?

680m spending for a "new" store platform seems pretty decent.
Most of that is Fortnite. Which was already a thing before the store. There's not much point in bundling the two (unless Epic want to inflate the numbers).

Shiz Padoo

Oct 13, 2018
I found the Christmas sale quite good. Giving £10 off a game over £14.99 to start with and then getting a further £10 off each £14.99+ purchase meant I bought many of the year's big releases at a significant discount. It was cheaper than buying them from Steam/Origin/UPlay etc. Win.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
The exclusivity deals on EGS doesn't bother me as long as they are timed exclusives. I'm always lagging behind, and have too much to play.

But do we know for a fact that everything on EGS is times? Do we know that Ubisoft will release their games on Steam after one year? Can't seem to find any info on this.
Most likely they will come to Steam. After how Ubisoft said games like the Division 2 didn't meet their expectations, they will surely try to have the game sold on Steam.

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I hope this supposed success pushes Epic to stop removing games from Steam and making them more expensive.
To heal the dumb rift and hostility they created between game companies and their audience.

Things have admittedly improved in the pricing area, as Epic initiated partnerships with, I think three third party stores.
This sometimes gets me games at pre-EGS prices? Some games are available somewhere sometimes, sometimes discounted, sometimes not.
Presumably depends on the game company, and/or perhaps whatever's dictated by their contract with Epic.

And initially Epic said they weren't doing Steam-like sales, but then they did.
But that also adds to the impression that EGS is impulsive, mercurial, haphazard, untrustworthy.
They also seem to prioritize partners and hurting Steam, over the interests of customers.
Epic and Deep Silver screwing over Shenmue 3 backers turned what was to be a celebratory moment into a huge bummer.

So not a platform I'd want to invest in.
Maybe that will change at some point. Until then the only business I'm doing with EGS is maybe registering an account if there's a free game I care for.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
I hope this supposed success pushes Epic to stop removing games from Steam and making them more expensive.
To heal the dumb rift and hostility they created between game companies and their audience.

Things have admittedly improved in the pricing area, as Epic initiated partnerships with, I think three third party stores.
This sometimes gets me games at pre-EGS prices? Some games are available somewhere sometimes, sometimes discounted, sometimes not.
Presumably depends on the game company, and/or perhaps whatever's dictated by their contract with Epic.

But that also adds to the impression that EGS is impulsive, mercurial, haphazard, untrustworthy.
They also seem to prioritize partners and hurting Steam, over the interests of customers.
Epic and Deep Silver screwing over Shenmue 3 backers turned what was to be a celebratory moment into a huge bummer.

So not a platform I'd want to invest in.
Maybe that will change at some point. Until then the only business I'm doing with EGS is maybe registering an account if there's a free game I care for.
Yeah, this is going to be the legacy of of EGS's first year.

They injected so much antagonism between developers/publishers and their customers, just because they thought it was going to help them to get ahead.

Deleted member 16452

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I would argue that for many people (at least if those Playtracker estimates are even somewhat accurate) Steam is more than just a way to acquire and play games. The estimated sales numbers for most EGS exclusives seem to indicate that most people would rather wait for a game to hit Steam and then buy it.

And that is totally fine, I'm just saying EGS does what it has to do, even if it that means falling below some people's expectations. In the end its all about choice and people can choose which launcher they support or not, like whats been happening so far.

To me, I'm just glad I got free games and some of the deals during the Christmas sale.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
And that is totally fine, I'm just saying EGS does what it has to do, even if it that means falling below some people's expectations. In the end its all about choice and people can choose which launcher they support or not, like whats been happening so far.

To me, I'm just glad I got free games and some of the deals during the Christmas sale.
EGS is specifically about removing choice.

Edit:

Frustrating that this image still needs to be posted to counter people making inaccurate statements

xDNQblw.png

Myradeer

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Not really, since they are still establishing the plattform and many signed up because of Fortnite which they play for free or the free games. The performance is ahead of their internal expectations.
If you remove Fortnite from the equation, number of money spent per user actually decreases by one-third. I guess it's true that their abysmal performance still meets their expectations though, because they are willing to continue their strategy for somehow hope of translating "grab third party game for free" users into paying users.

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
Epic never really came off looking like they had a long term plan.
The sales thing in particular is very telling. That was something they were doing to try and win over developers that were unhappy with how deep sales were devaluing games and encouraging people to not buy games full price.

Adding onto this, their focus on countries beyond North America is very narrow. I've heard of some countries that get good prices, and a lot that don't. Their limited cut also ended up being a problem in parts of the world where transactions cost more to process, and prevents them from implementing a lot of payment options that are used more than credit cards in places like China or India if they aren't willing to be lenient.

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
EGS is specifically about removing choice.

Edit:

Frustrating that this image still needs to be posted to counter people making inaccurate statements

xDNQblw.png

indeed

you could class it as dev competition -but this continues to be untrue as there are and consistently have been lots of competitors and alternatives to Steam on PC. Even if you wanted to argue that there is now someone engaging with "exclusives" as a form of "competition", others have been doing this already in the market.

This remains absolutely a failure in actual competition between stores. Simple as that.

I look forward to the day EGS actually tries to openly compete as a service provider and digital distributor

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
OK.

They got a few dollars from me in the big sales, but those are the only times I think I'll ever buy something there tbqh.

Still happily awaiting Borderlands 3's Steam launch. Assuming I still care about playing the game at all at that point.

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I want to say the last year (and probably this year) is a time where epic mainly cares about bolstering it's userbase (and utilizing the personal info and data) rather than prioritizing revenue.

I could understand that if all they did was offer free games, but with the deep discounts and the $10 coupons, surely they expected to make some sales?

Because only generating 250 millions dollars with all those games and exclusives seems worrying to me. You have WWZ which sold at the very least 700 000 copies which would generate about 10% of all revenue here (regional pricing isn't taken into account here). And there's also Borderlands 3 which probably generated a lion''s share of that figure so in the end, there's not much left for other games.

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017
The EGS doesn't make any sense if revenue is their goal. Their giveaways are effectively anti selling indie games and their store discounts are dramatic, rare and oftentimes subsidized by their own money.

Everything about their approach seems designed to draw in the maximum amount of attention and client downloads, with revenue appearing to be an afterthought. 100 million users spending an average of $2.50 on third party games seems to be driving that point home.

closer

Oct 25, 2017
I could understand that if all they did was offer free games, but with the deep discounts and the $10 coupons, surely they expected to make some sales?

Because only generating 250 millions dollars with all those games and exclusives seems worrying to me. You have WWZ which sold at the very least 700 000 copies which would generate about 10% of all revenue here (regional pricing isn't taken into account here). And there's also Borderlands 3 which probably generated a lion''s share of that figure so in the end, there's not much left for other games.

Oh yeh i dont want to discount their want for cold hard cash, just that their strategy last year and this year only really makes sense to me in the context of prioritizing sign ups and using the data they get from sign ups. Their store's quality has kind of been at a standstill, and I have theories about them using this data to further other ventures (vr, streaming, etc.) I dont think they see feature-parity with steam as a priority or something that will save them as a store when steam controls so much of the market, so alternative routes to success makes the most sense to me.

Teddie28

Nov 2, 2017
100 million accounts? Surely they have a big enough install base now that they can stop buying 3rd party exclusives, right?

Csr

Nov 6, 2017

I think you are forgetting steam's strategy and how they overcame piracy and became dominant. They offered a better service than piracy and than retail stores and they also offered cheap prices. Epic is providing only the cheaper prices, on their two sale events at least, i would argue it is more expensive for most people otherwise because of the lack of third party key sellers (it certainly is for me) but they don't provide the better service than the alternatives so people are choosing the alternatives.

"What it has to do" in this day and age when we are used on having more features both on pc and on console is not that clear cut imo.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Epic is providing only the cheaper prices,
Not for Canada lol.... still no CAD currency, it's pathetic.

So far I have yet to have a single reason to spend a single dollar on that store. I grab the free games, but I only even played two; one didn't work with my DS4, and the other one I didn't finish.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Shame exclusives will continue, ironic too, since it seems the free games got many to give their store a chance. I know it did for me.

m_dorian

Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece

That's a "Just another launcher" post. And it has been thoroughly analyzed in the past why this is wrong.

I do not know what else to say at this point.

Deleted member 16452

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Shame exclusives will continue, ironic too, since it seems the free games got many to give their store a chance. I know it did for me.

Agreed, the free games would have been enough and without any backlash.

That's a "Just another launcher" post. And it has been thoroughly analyzed in the past why this is wrong.

I do not know what else to say at this point.

It may have been analyzed, doesn't mean everyone has to agree with it.

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
It may have been analyzed, doesn't mean everyone has to agree with it.
I was curious why or when the posters going "its just another launcher?!" stopped getting banned, even tho those posts were clearly against the staff posts / rules.

Got those rules silently changed?

Won

Oct 27, 2017
Put me in the camp that is a bit surprised that Fortnite doesn't make much more.

I assume it doesn't include things like licensing and other things that make cash outside of the EGS, but still, you kinda expect "mindblowing" numbers from it.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Put me in the camp that is a bit surprised that Fortnite doesn't make much more.

I assume it doesn't include things like licensing and other things that make cash outside of the EGS, but still, you kinda expect "mindblowing" numbers from it.
Those numbers are only on PC (and maybe Android? not sure if they counted them as the store is technically in Android). The total revenue of Fortnite in 2019 is supposed to be ca. 1.8billion dollars

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017

It's way bigger on mobile and console, plus I suspect that the vast majority of players on PC don't even have any payment details on file.

Deleted member 16452

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I imagine the mobile version of Fortnite does make a ton, I was surprised by how popular that and mobile CoD are.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure about that, given Epic's (seemingly unsuccessful) attempts to get onto the Google Play Store without paying the 30% store cut.
Fortnite isnt that big in profit revenue in mobile, and in android not being part of Google Store and coming late to eastern markets let PUBG be the biggest BR game in two huge markets in China and India:

Attention that Fortnite would not appear in the Google Play part, only on the AppStore.
Fortnite mobile is huge in the west (top 5-10 revenue in USA) but lacks in the east.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
I was curious why or when the posters going "its just another launcher?!" stopped getting banned, even tho those posts were clearly against the staff posts / rules.

Got those rules silently changed?
No rule has changed. "It's just another launcher" was never inherently bannable. I don't know why this myth persists, but it's just not the case. If you read the old staff post, it never said this either.

The rules were always against bad faith, trolling, and antagonistic behaviour (dismissive, disruptive or derisive behaviour towards others). There's a difference between saying "lmao it's just a launcher, who cares you silly Steam fanboy" vs "I don't personally mind, for me it's just a launcher", for example. The former is trolling and antagonistic, the latter is just a disagreement. If you think a post is in the former territory, you can report it for the staff to evaluate.

Feel free to PM me if you have further questions about moderation rules (this goes for anyone, my inbox is always open), but for now, let's please stick to the topic. Thanks.

TioChuck

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil