• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 18400

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The wait times aren't really that much worse than back in the early days and the franchise didn't get killed off back then.

No but Sky 2 did not sell nearly as well as Sky 1 did, in part because it took like 6 years to translate the second game and many people had long put off playing more of the series.

We can make as many excuses as we want, the fact remains huge wait for translations (that SHOULD start before development is complete like EVERY OTHER game out of Japan does now days) is not good for the series health.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I hope so as well. It's probably going to have to be someone else who steps up though because Kitsune only seems to be interested if Tio's in the game which is extremely doubtful.

It does rely on there being someone who ultimately wants to do it; we need the Fie fan-eqiuvalent of Kitsune, or something.

I agree on the last part, I am too happy for the franchise as a whole, this needed to happen. Unfortunately it does come at a cost. We'll be 3 years (at best) behind the JP releases instead of 2 going forward, that's really not good. We've been hoping for a long time that it'll get cut down by 1 year not extended by 1 lol.

I can understand that; I'm hoping with this backlog finally cleared out they'd be able to just do annual releases go forward and catch up--Which, I know, is kind of what people were hoping for after CS4, so who knows if it's worth getting hopes up again. On the selfish side,the potentially encouraging thing I'm taking from this is largely just the idea that NISA will be doing console at the same time as PC, so at least it cuts down on the double-delay effect the games on PC had.

Onlywantsapples

alt account
Banned
May 13, 2021
Think the context a lot of people miss with regards to Falcom and western localization and the like, is that Falcom only sees something like 15-20% of it's total revenue from western sales.

They won't abandon that market, but needless to say, in terms of priorities it's bottom of the barrel, and it shows in terms of every action Falcom makes with regards to the west. The other thing I will say is, NISA isn't Falcom USA, and as such it's very possible that Falcom came to them with an idea to start work on localization as games are in development and NISA declined.

NISA works on and localizes more than just Falcom stuff. I feel like these demands of Falcom letting localizers work on their games as they're in development assume that the localization partner in question (NISA) would actually want to do that, which to put it bluntly we simply don't know. The issue is way more complicated than "FALCOM SHOULD DO X", and I'm not defending them because frankly, my interest in this series couldn't get any lower if it tried after CS4, but that is the reality that's at hand.

For the newest Trails titles, you will always wait a minimum of 2 years, and you can bank on it for the Forseeable future.

Wyze

Nov 15, 2018
i need to finish trails in the sky 2, game just didnt want to end. it dragged on and on and on. after doing the whole thing with the towers and fighting those guys, I was tasked with delivering or checking (I think) each of the bracers branches in each city. I don't know if the game actually made me do that I just nope out of it pretty quick. just wanted it to end at that point.

might go back to it someday.

machtia

Oct 29, 2017
The other thing I will say is, NISA isn't Falcom USA, and as such it's very possible that Falcom came to them with an idea to start work on localization as games are in development and NISA declined.

NISA works on and localizes more than just Falcom stuff. I feel like these demands of Falcom letting localizers work on their games as they're in development assume that the localization partner in question (NISA) would actually want to do that, which to put it bluntly we simply don't know. The issue is way more complicated than "FALCOM SHOULD DO X", and I'm not defending them because frankly, my interest in this series couldn't get any lower if it tried after CS4, but that is the reality that's at hand.
These are good points, though I'm pretty sure NISA is the one courting Falcom for these games, not the other way around.

Feb 5, 2018
Great breakdown, but I really wish these were all on 1 platform, lol.

I only played ToCS 1&2 on Vita and there were a ton of references to prior events before and during the events of those games. Would playing Zero & Azure help understand those more (and the teachers for that matter)
Technically with this they will all be officially on PC, but I assume you mean console.

It does suck that whatever complications with XSEED has prevented the Sky trilogy from releasing on modern consoles, along with Cold Steel 1 and 2 releasing on switch for those trying to pursue it that way.

You can technically buy the Evo versions for Vita in Japanese and patch them in English if you have a hacked system, but that's not everyone's cup of tea I suppose, and it'll only get you up to Cold Steel 2.

Oct 27, 2017
The two main questions I have are:

1. If Geofront did sell their localization, and they're not dubbing it, why is it going to take almost two years to get both games out?
2. Do they plan on selling these at $60? I'm buying them, but I feel like folks are gonna be more reluctant to spend that much on PSP remasters.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Happy for the fans that wanted Azure, Zero, and Nayuta to get official releases.

Sadly, this means the new entry I'm interested in, Kuro, is at least 3-4 years away from an English release.

Erpy

May 31, 2018
No but Sky 2 did not sell nearly as well as Sky 1 did, in part because it took like 6 years to translate the second game and many people had long put off playing more of the series.

We can make as many excuses as we want, the fact remains huge wait for translations (that SHOULD start before development is complete like EVERY OTHER game out of Japan does now days) is not good for the series health.

First of all, it was more like 3 to 4, not 6. Second of all, don't you think the main reason Sky SC didn't sell as well as Sky FC was simply because some people who picked up Sky FC (which frequently goes on sales for 50% off) simply didn't like it enough to buy the sequel, especially since the second game isn't a stand-alone game?

Onlywantsapples

alt account
Banned
May 13, 2021
These are good points, though I'm pretty sure NISA is the one courting Falcom for these games, not the other way around.
I mean, it's probably both of them tbh.

Chunsoft going off on their own to localize their games was a pretty big blow for NISA, and they probably really wanted to work with Falcom, but also honestly, from Falcom's perspective, who else do they have?

The ship for Falcom's games to get localized by an Atlus or the like has long sailed.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Think the context a lot of people miss with regards to Falcom and western localization and the like, is that Falcom only sees something like 15-20% of it's total revenue from western sales.

They won't abandon that market, but needless to say, in terms of priorities it's bottom of the barrel, and it shows in terms of every action Falcom makes with regards to the west. The other thing I will say is, NISA isn't Falcom USA, and as such it's very possible that Falcom came to them with an idea to start work on localization as games are in development and NISA declined.

For the newest Trails titles, you will always wait a minimum of 2 years, and you can bank on it for the Forseeable future.

FWIW, NISA has been working on FuRyu games like Caligula 2 and Monark before they are finished.

Onlywantsapples

alt account
Banned
May 13, 2021
FWIW, NISA has been working on FuRyu games like Caligula 2 and Monark before they are finished.
gotcha.

Had no idea. Well, idk then, the only reason I could see why NISA would decline would maybe be because of how high Falcom's output is? presumably you'd have to have several teams if you were going to try and work on Falcom's games as they were in development, unless FuRyu's output is equally as high? not really familiar with that dev.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
gotcha.

Had no idea. Well, idk then, the only reason I could see why NISA would decline would maybe be because of how high Falcom's output is? presumably you'd have to have several teams if you were going to try and work on Falcom's games as they were in development, unless FuRyu's output is equally as high? not really familiar with that dev.

Falcom only puts out one *new* game a year, but FuRyu isn't quite at the same level of output. Caligula 2 and Monark are in development/localisation at the same time though.

Feb 5, 2018
The two main questions I have are:

1. If Geofront did sell their localization, and they're not dubbing it, why is it going to take almost two years to get both games out?
2. Do they plan on selling these at $60? I'm buying them, but I feel like folks are gonna be more reluctant to spend that much on PSP remasters.
1. Probably because they didn't sell their translation (read, legally cant) and have to work on them the next 1.5-2 years.

2. Probably will be cheaper on PC (Crossbell/Nayuta). Pretty sure they've peaked at $30-40 for the sky games. I assume if they do console releases, same deal unless a bundle.. They are still technically PSP games and probably aren't the Evo releases. Nayuta might be I guess.

NCR Ranger

Oct 25, 2017
Will probably get some of them day 1 at least on Steam. Here's hoping that means the dates shown and not a year later do to EGS exclusivity.

Oct 25, 2017
2. Probably will be cheaper on PC (Crossbell/Nayuta). Pretty sure they've peaked at $30-40 for the sky games. I assume if they do console releases, same deal unless a bundle.. They are still technically PSP games and probably aren't the Evo releases. Nayuta might be I guess.

Wouldn't Crossbell also be the Kai versions that hit PS4 in Japan last year, like Nayuta's Kai this year? I thought those ports were viewed as part of them getting to a point to bring the games to the west.

So still not up to modern standards, but I'd be surprised if we didn't get the Kai stuff (that I thought mostly incorporated the Evo voice, etc?)

Basslover

Jan 28, 2018
Can I actually play Zero and Azure and skip out the rest? I only played Trails in the Sky 1 and SC.

Because if getting the rest is essential, I might just get Nayuta.
While most folks will say you have to play the 3rd, you don't really if you don't want to. It I'll enhance certain scenes and one specific character but Zero especially is pretty self contained for a Trails game.

So in short yes you can, if you have time play the 3rd as well, I'd you don't that's okay too.

Desma

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
Can I actually play Zero and Azure and skip out the rest? I only played Trails in the Sky 1 and SC.

Because if getting the rest is essential, I might just get Nayuta.
If you played 1 and SC, you could play the 3rd before Zero just to play all the ones before it.

Nayuta is not connected to the main series.

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017

Every single Falcom title that NISA localized got a Switch port. People in this very thread has mentioned that the upcoming games will be getting PC/Switch ports, which is why the games will take longer to come out. If you want an official confirmation, wait until Falcom's event today.

Oct 26, 2017
I think it would be better to not even think about the PSP release of FC considering it sold like dogshit (literally "there are dozens of us" .gif) and was the reason why the series was dead in the water in the West until it's rerelease on Steam. We may as well not even consider the series a thing here until that point, which if we go by July 2014 being the start of the series here, it only took 14 months for it's sequel to release. FC did as well as it did due to several Steam sales and being part of a Falcom bundle, neither of which mean much in terms of people actually playing the game to completion and thinking about getting the sequel.

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
I rarely gave much thought about Trails (nor Ys recently, which maybe I should return to that series at some point), but Nayuta look pretty cool, and was more action based like Ys, so maybe I will keep it in mind later on. XD

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Nayuta? Damn, this is actually surprising. Nice that Falcom wants to go all out on western support.

Deleted member 18400

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think it would be better to not even think about the PSP release of FC considering it sold like dogshit (literally "there are dozens of us" .gif) and was the reason why the series was dead in the water in the West until it's rerelease on Steam. We may as well not even consider the series a thing here until that point, which if we go by July 2014 being the start of the series here, it only took 14 months for it's sequel to release. FC did as well as it did due to several Steam sales and being part of a Falcom bundle, neither of which mean much in terms of people actually playing the game to completion and thinking about getting the sequel.

I was using exaggeration when I said six years. Text doesn't translate that well I guess.

I'm aware it wasn't actually that long..

MexM

One Winged Slayer
Nov 10, 2017
Awesomeeeee, never thought I'd see the day for localized Crossbell games. I'm glad I already played through the spreadsheet of Hajimari so the wait won't be painful lol looking forward to the english voices

lucancel

Oct 30, 2017
Italy
Honestly, that sounds like the crazy argument that XSEED should have skipped The 3rd that I see peddled now and then.
I'm not looking forward to the next few years of discourse if we're gonna be constantly reminded that they should have skipped Crossbell because who cares if more people got to enjoy these gamesl
The thing Is kuro Will be the next entry point and Will have Better grapichs and qol features. Postponing It for crossbell Is not a Wise move for casual audience and plot already moved over zero & azure as seen in cs4. So bringing crossbell games Is for hardcore fans but only a fraction of Them since some of them played the geofront translation. Most fans Will have &want to play hajimari & kuro. So for a small part of the fanbase you slow down the new games for the Whole fanbase. Even worse you do It now that
1 the gap between japanese & western releases was the lowest
2 people are buying next generations console and within a year most problema of production & distribution Will be solved so Sales Will slow down probably.
imho It Is not a Wise move. Almost 2 year After kuro jp release they Will start to work on Wester release and Falcom Will show kuro 2.
all this for Two crossbell tales whose outcome Is known. ...imho not worth the heavy cost of the time

Erpy

May 31, 2018

Also, when FC released on Steam, neither Squenix nor Bamco were releasing their games on the platform yet. FC was one of the first real JRPG's on there, which made a lot of people try it out.

dojo32161

Sep 4, 2019
Seen a few people say Nayuta isn't very connected to the rest of the series which is... a bit premature to say, especially after some specific scenes in CS4.

Orion

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't Falcom supposed to have some event like... today where people thought Hajimari might be announced or am I remembering wrong...

Anyway I'm excited! (as long as these are coming to consoles otherwise I'll cry because I don't know nothing about no Epic Games Store business). I don't play on pc or mess with importing so I've been hoping for an official Crossbell localization for a while. But yeah, really thought we'd have Hajimari Reverie by the end of next year at worst... I mean I'm sure I'll get Nayuta but I'd be willing to sacrifice it if it got things moving faster, just saying.

Seen a few people say Nayuta isn't very connected to the rest of the series which is... a bit premature to say, especially after some specific scenes in CS4.

Oh really? I always thought it was just a random spinoff.

Fdkn

Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Finally caved in and played Zero and Ao last year so these ports are too late but I will probably get them on sale.

Hajimari in 2023... I'm happy we are getting it and I still need to finish cs3 and 4 so it could even work in my favour that it takes that much, but looking for the series success I think they should try to get it done faster.

CSX

Oct 27, 2017
https://twitter.com/CSX142857
Just realized how outdated Kuro is gonna look like when it comes out in English when it's currently being praised for its big jump in visuals for the series lol

But hey if all those games come out in 2023, it's gonna be fun seeing some Top 10 Games of 2023 lists out with three Trails games in them :)

Still a little depressing that I won't be able to hear this glorious track

or the chicken song

with English voices in the background for another 2 years

Oct 27, 2017
Alright maybe now is the right time to take the plunge and fill in this jrpg series hole I have. Lemme make room for roughly a thousand hours of gaming in my agenda real quick.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Huh, wow. If they come to Steam or consoles (which appears to be the case) I might finally play the Crossbell games after all. I'm probably done for good with Cold Steel because of the flanderized otaku/harem/creepy shit, but the older games were far more tolerable there.

Nayuta seems interesting too. I've literally never heard of it. It seems to play similarly to Ys?

Vamphuntr

Oct 25, 2017
Huh, wow. If they come to Steam or consoles (which appears to be the case) I might finally play the Crossbell games after all. I'm probably done for good with Cold Steel because of the flanderized otaku/harem/creepy shit, but the older games were far more tolerable there.

Nayuta seems interesting too. I've literally never heard of it. It seems to play similarly to Ys?

Harem/Otaku stuff is especially bad in Azure. It also introduced Shirley who keeps grabbing the breasts of the ladies. The beach holiday in Azure is pretty much equivalent to the worst harem stuff in Cold Steel.