• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
I appreciate the transparency with the update schedule. Soon enough it's going to be comparable with steam with features.

5489de0a8d5fb2ecb7d7706100b5176b.gif

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Tell me why it's a crucial feature to have a shopping cart for an online game store. I'll wait.

All you Steam fanboys with your "shopping carts" and "controller support" and "in-home streaming" and "cloud saves" and "functional interface" and "regional pricing" and "non-spyware" - all of it is just feature bloat, who really uses any of those, like honestly.
ngl your first line had me mad

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
So, they're looking to have maybe a fifth of the basic features Steam has had for ages, in about a year or longer.

Fantastic competition.

Deleted member 11626

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's exactly the same thing.

The situation is not unlike when Microsoft moneyhatted Tomb Raider and people were furious.

There are multiple threads and posts, here and elsewhere, about why the actions of Epic are shitty. That you aren't reading them and trivializing it as the same thing as console warring is a problem with your interpretation of it. Not the discussion surrounding it all.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
This isn't console/platform warring.

To be honest, some of the responses here are frankly just as disappointing.

Transparency is supposed to be a good thing. And this shows there's a roadmap to keep improving their store.

The responses here...

There are multiple threads and posts, here and elsewhere, about why the actions of Epic are shitty

Those actions have nothing to do with a feature roadmap. And in all the topics you cite, people keep saying they wished Epic had competed on features vs 'moneyhatting'.

All the snark about a shopping cart being available in 6 months. Meanwhile Xbox Live only got Shopping Cart and Wish list in Q4 2018, well over a decade after the store launch. And nobody died.

Deleted member 32374

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
In a year it appears as if the EGS will be closer to steam feature wise. Not close but closer.

Also, where on earth did they get the idea for an "Epic Games Overlay"? ORGINAL IDEA, DO NOT STEAL.

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Feature roadmaps are a good thing. I like how some of you all are so fucking upset and childish over EGS that even this triggers snide and sarcastic comments.

SaintBowWow

Oct 25, 2017
It's so funny that a shopping cart functionality isn't a priority for them.
Given the comparatively low volume of content that is in the store and will be for the coming months it's not really a surprise that a shopping cart isn't a high priority. Most people aren't buying multiple games at once from the store, so it's more convenient right now to just buy directly from a game's page than it is to add it to a cart and then check out. In the few cases where people are going on shipping sprees, they can just check out twice for now.

Deleted member 11626

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
To be honest, some of the responses here are frankly just as disappointing.

Transparency is supposed to be a good thing. And this shows there's a roadmap to keep improving their store.

The responses here...

Those actions have nothing to do with a feature roadmap. And in all the topics you cite, people keep saying they wished Epic had competed on features vs 'moneyhatting'.

All the snark about a shopping cart being available in 6 months. Meanwhile Xbox Live only got Shopping Cart and Wish list in Q4 2018, well over a decade after the store launch. And nobody died.

That response in particular was about why EGS vs Steam is not the same thing as Sony vs Microsoft, not the features roadmap. If the worst thing Epic was doing in all of this was have a barebones store, I wouldn't give a shit and I'd support them with my money.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
What? How are price adjusting bundles 4-6 months out wtf? That's literally math. How the fuck is this so difficult to do? But the redesign of the store is only 1-3? They have this shit so backwards it's insane.

JasoNsider

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Feature roadmaps are a good thing. I like how some of you all are so fucking upset and childish over EGS that even this triggers snide and sarcastic comments.

Yup, this is by far the most nuclear, toxic subject in a while. I don't get it. It's possible people will let this go in 6 months when features are actually pretty close, but right now the "gamers rise up" over a store front launcher is embarrassing.

Jamrock User

Jan 24, 2018
Dynamic pricing on bundles is pretty cool.
Sometimes I don't wanna buy one cause one or two games I already own are in it.

Deleted member 4037

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I assume you know that from experience?
My point is, unless you are a programmer and work on these kind of large scale projects for a living, then you have no right to say whether or not it is 'basic'.
the fact that it is standardized to storefronts at this point would suggest so

its really just database management in any case, its not complicated stuff

Deleted member 1777

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yup, this is by far the most nuclear, toxic subject in a while. I don't get it. It's possible people will let this go in 6 months when features are actually pretty close, but right now the "gamers rise up" over a store front launcher is embarrassing.

To be fair this is a launcher that scrapes peoples private data and actively goes against another programs API/permissions settings to read this data. That alone should be enough to give them shit over, regardless of the moneyhatting for exclusives. It blows my mind that Epic are essentially getting a free pass over it and not being raked over the coals for that alone. Tim Sweeneys bullshitting is just another bit of icing on the shit cake.

Deleted member 32374

Banned
Nov 10, 2017

-Features still won't be close
-Phoenix Point situation is perfect definition of "toxic"
-A million other points recanted over dozens of threads with hundreds of thousands of views
-Still doesn't get it

Ok

my ignore list has increased by the hundreds over it. I have little to no tolerance for gamer rage

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. Any thoughts on the store or just driving by and passing judgement?

Oct 25, 2017
my ignore list has increased by the hundreds over it. I have little to no tolerance for gamer rage

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Hopefully gifting not having a date attached to it doesn't mean it's more than a year away.

I tried to gift someone Metro Exodus and was pretty surprised to see there was no way.

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
Every time you buy or claim something it prompts you to give the publisher your email so I bet that might be why there's no cart, because if you were to buy multiple games at once it would look off putting to have multiple checkboxes for giving your email to publishers.

OmegaX

Oct 28, 2017
The shopping cart stuff is a funny joke, but then I remember how long it took for MS to add one. I'm guessing there's something that's a real pain in the ass there.

The eShop doesn't have one. I got called by my bank once because I bought 4 games in a row, triggering their alarm for the amount of transactions in a short time.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
.Well considering you never address anyone's points and just ignorantly post on something you don't see to understand I see why you would ignore people.

Heh, yeah, same!

On topic: I applaud Epic's bid to give Steam its first serious competition in this space in years, and having this open road map is cool! Gives me confidence that it's going places.
So in a year if it doesn't go places and it's still crap, will you still be giving them the benefit of the doubt? They don't deserve it.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
Hey that looks pretty good. Still fuck these guys tho.

Call me when your shit can automagically turn a windows game into a Linux game.

Deleted member 3897

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

There are completely valid reasons for why PC gamers are upset.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
Quite pitiful, as already stated, the recently added search feature was completely half-assed, so I expect any future added features to be equally half-baked. Plus, all these features should have freaking launched with a store in 2019.... This isn't 2005 FFS. I can understand game controller API and built-in mod support taking allot of time to implement, but most of the features are relatively straightforward and no brainers to already have been implemented.

JasoNsider

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Did you ignore my quote of you or are you just choosing to interact with those who appear to agree with you?
Ok, I'll address your points:
- They'll be good enough. I don't care about 90% of Steam features.
- Don't care. I would do the same as Phoenix in their position.
- Again, I don't care and don't agree with those ten billion Gamers Rising Up

And, most importantly, I don't like how toxic the discussions of this have become. There's zero room for being positive.

I'm an indie developer and really don't like that Steam is my only viable option. I am rooting for Epic to at least make Valve compete on publisher share. If Steam were to increase publisher share because of the new competition then Epic will have my immense respect.

Deleted member 32374

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Ok, I'll address your points:
- They'll be good enough. I don't care about 90% of Steam features.
- Don't care. I would do the same as Phoenix in their position.
- Again, I don't care and don't agree with those ten billion Gamers Rising Up

And, most importantly, I don't like how toxic the discussions of this have become. There's zero room for being positive.

I'm an indie developer and really don't like that Steam is my only viable option. I am rooting for Epic to at least make Valve compete on publisher share. If Steam were to increase publisher share because of the new competition then Epic will have my immense respect.

-Ok. I use them, some even like game sharing and gifting with my friends and family. EGS doesn't have to be feature complete compared to steam, I'd settle for GOG Galaxy at this point.

-Well, your honest about the Pnoenix point situation. I understand that being a developer is precarious. Contempt for your investors is a thing though and the crowdfunding bridge has been burned for them for forever. It might work out, it might not in the long run but not a great situation for backers.

-So, long and short, you don't care and you hold your potential customers in a form of mild contempt.

What is the positive for someone interested in purchasing a game? So far, only positives mentioned are hypothetical and off in the future. The positive for a developer is easy, more money, up front and in the future. I could see EGS turning it around in five years no problem and hey, VTM:BL II is on EGS and Steam, so maybe competition will be reality in the future. So far, I've been turned off from EGS and I have not even downloaded the client for free games.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
.Well considering you never address anyone's points and just ignorantly post on something you don't see to understand I see why you would ignore people.

But your only contribution to this topic thus far has been to say "I don't believe in this roadmap".
How is he supposed to address this?

Unless you have insider information or significant development experience, that's a baseless thing to say.

There are completely valid reasons for why PC gamers are upset.

There are tons of threads already where venting that anger would be considered on theme. This is a topic about a transparent update roadmap.
Much of this is bad-faith snark, anyway, since in most of the EGS topics, many of those complaining here cite storefront features as a better way to compete with Steam.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I'm confident in Epic to support and improve their store. They've been doing great lately.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
But your only contribution to this topic thus far has been to say "I don't believe in this roadmap".
How is he supposed to address this?

Unless you have insider information or significant development experience, that's a baseless thing to say.

There are tons of threads already where venting that anger would be considered on theme. This is a topic about a transparent update roadmap.
Much of this is bad-faith snark, anyway, since in most of the EGS topics, many of those complaining here cite storefront features as a better way to compete with Steam.
It's not my point I was referring to but seeing his reply to jkm23 tells me all it needs to Why am i suppose to have any faith in epic improving their storefront? There's no reason to believe they will hit the dates and not half ass it.

Deleted member 39587

Banned
Feb 6, 2018
I assume you know that from experience?
My point is, unless you are a programmer and work on these kind of large scale projects for a living, then you have no right to say whether or not it is 'basic'.
I have programmed a shopping cart for a webstore before, yes. With security in mind. It absolutely shouldn't take 6+ months for experienced devs..

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
It's not my point I was referring to but seeing his reply to jkm23 tells me all it needs to Why am i suppose to have any faith in epic improving their storefront? There's no reason to believe they will hit the dates and not half ass it.

Between their work on Unreal engine and how well they've executed Fortnite, its hard not to have confidence in Epic's ability to manage projects.

I have programmed a shopping cart for a webstore before, yes. With security in mind. It absolutely shouldn't take 6+ months for experienced devs..

Those devs are most certainly working on other features in that time. Nobody's working full time on a shopping cart.

The 6 month delay reflects the priority of a shopping cart. As has been said earlier, Xbox Live just got a cart November 2018. The e-shop doesn't even have one.
A better search experience is much higher priority than a shopping cart, I'd wager.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Between their work on Unreal engine and how well they've executed Fortnite, its hard not to have confidence in Epic's ability to manage projects.
I just don't see why anyone should have faith in their store and the roadmap. I expect it to be half assed at the best especially with their responses regarding the epic game store.