• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr. Ludwig

Oct 31, 2017
Oh god, the Bethesda launcher. Like out of all them, it has the least reason to actually exist.

Like it's obvious Beth wants its 100% but it's such a shitshow of a launcher I actively avoid it.

Bizzquik

Chicken Chaser
Nov 5, 2017
It's really good, I love it. Do you found a way to link it on Oculus Home? So my daugther could play it without my help.
I have requested a refund of the game for this reason.
I know its Epic and they are just doing their own d@mn thing, but it amazes me that they are requiring players to launch the game from within the Epic Launcher if they want to play in VR mode.

Going to "Settings" from the Launcher's main page and entering different combinations of known VR commands under the Tetris Effect "Parameters" doesn't help. ....They did it with "Trover Saves The Universe" and they are doing it again.

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney

lucebuce

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pakistan
Man this is so wonderful to finally play. I had the PS4 version and played it on my tv. But finally getting to play it on the Vive is incredible. It's sooo cool and completely washes over you. Great to finally have this on PC.
Has the line between sarcasm and reality truly become so blurred that a mod thought that you were just being an ass instead of being legitimate?

Krvavi Abadas

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Videoland
In what way does that post somehow discredit my point? It's just noting that, again. Battle.net and Origin have gotten nowhere near the level of backlash the Epic Games Store is currently receiving now.

I've even made a little edit now to make it more clear that it's referring to that in particular.

Oh ok, let's shift the goalposts to scale of criticism then.

Well, maybe this is a reason why. The Epic Games Store is fuggen dogshit even compared to those other loathed stores. It's worse than even Origin and Battle.net. Even those have Cloud Saves and Achievements for instance! It's just totally a new level of shitty.

Alright, now ask yourself this.
"Will Epic ever fix the problems?"
and the answer should be yes. They will.
Once again, Steam fixed everything people were complaining about during the early days of the service. There should be no reason why anyone should be acting like it's something that can never be repaired.

This is the exact negative feedback loop i was talking about, people immediately forgetting that shit can be fixed. Before moving onto the next non-controversy after it is.

That's because Epic themselves are overly aggressive (in the eyes of customers) in their business moves. Neither CDP, EA, Ubisoft, Bethesda, Acti-Bliz, or Microsoft has pulled a Metro Exodus or Shenmue 3 or Hades/Satisfactory situation before.

The good news is that they're perfectly aware of this, and are actively working to fix the situation. Even paying for Shenmue 3 refunds out of their own pocket.

It's just that people are acting like they aren't listening, and that they aren't ever going to change a damn thing despite it being clear they are.

and of course, there's the massive issue of people acting incredibly hostile to Epic over said store. When even calmly explaining said issues to them would have worked just as well.

Last edited:

Deleted member 1722

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
Has the line between sarcasm and reality truly become so blurred that a mod that you were just being an ass instead of being legitimate?
I'm not really upset, but I think it's really important for me to clear up that I was being very sincere. I played the game this morning and then saw the first active thread about the game and gave my impressions.

I'm not sure what Jawmuncher saw in that post that was considered trolling. But I think it's important for me to know.

ThatOneGuy831

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Epic never said that Valve "doesn't" deserve their cut, actually. They've always made it clear that Steam, being used by practically everyone in the PC market. Really should consider lowering it at some point.

That article was made a year before the EGS was even created, mind you, and before Fortnite blew up in popularity.

Another important thing people need to consider is that everyone hated Steam back when it launched. For the same reasons people hate the Epic Games Store now.
Byjx.gif

Making games "exclusive" to the client, the client lacking in features, and claims that it was "tracking" people.

But they managed to fix those issues over time, and i don't see how Epic can't do the same thing.

Not to mention, the EGS client isn't even remotely the first post-Steam client out there. But you don't see people flipping their shit over Battle.Net or Origin, do you? Blizzard and EA have been making (permanent!) exclusives on there for years, yet the second Epic decided to put their foot in that market, people are acting like they're somehow the antichrist that will destroy video games forever.
And here we are at this same tired fucking argument. Steam released back in 200 FUCKING 3,that was almost 16 years ago!! If Epic launched at the same time as Steam did then sure I'd be willing to give them the benefit of the doubt, but they didn't"t. We're in 2019 and the Epic store is barebones shit. And you must not have paid attention when Origin first launch because it got a ton of backlash when it launched because it was terrible. And the reason no one throws a fit about EA and Blizzard making games exclusive to their platform is because they are the ones that MADE them! It's why no ones bitching about Fortnite being exclusive to EGS because Epic are the ones that made it, same goes for Half-Life or Portal being exclusive to Steam.

Edit: And I can't believe I forgot the shit show that is the fucking Bethesda Games Launcher.

Last edited:

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
In what way does that post somehow discredit my point?

Your point was people don't complain about these older stores. They did.

It's just noting that, again. Battle.net and Origin have gotten nowhere near the level of backlash the Epic Games Store is currently receiving now.

Oh ok, let's shift the goalposts to scale of criticism then.

Well, maybe this is a reason why. The Epic Games Store is fuggen dogshit even compared to those other loathed stores. It's worse than even Origin and Battle.net. Even those have Cloud Saves and Achievements for instance! It's just totally a new level of shitty.

Forsaken82

Oct 27, 2017
I mean the thread clearly isn't about just the game being there.

And those numerous hype threads about EGS exlusive titles clearly aren't about the EGS exclusivity or the store in general but just the game, yet half the posts are "Fuck EGS"

None of those posts get warnings or bans. So what's different here?

Catshade

Oct 26, 2017
The point is that Epic is getting far, far, more unnecessary vitriol slung over their store than anyone else. To the point that every single thread about it now requires a lengthy set of rules basically telling everyone to calm the fuck down over it.

That's because Epic themselves are overly aggressive (in the eyes of customers) in their business moves. Neither CDP, EA, Ubisoft, Bethesda, Acti-Bliz, or Microsoft has pulled a Metro Exodus or Shenmue 3 or Hades/Satisfactory situation before.

floridaguy954

Oct 29, 2017
And here we are at this same tired fucking argument. Steam released back in 200 FUCKING 3,that was almost 16 years ago!! If Epic launched at the same time as Steam did then sure I'd be willing to give them the benefit of the doubt, but they didn't"t. We're in 2019 and the Epic store is barebones shit. And you must not have paid attention when Origin first launch because it got a ton of backlash when it launched because it was terrible. And the reason no one throws a fit about EA and Blizzard making game exclusive to their platform is because they are the ones that MADE them! It's why no ones bitching about Fortnite being exclusive to EGS because Epic are the ones that made it, same goes for Half-Life or Portal being exclusive to Steam.

Edit: And I can't believe the shit show that is the fucking Bethesda Games Launcher.
No need to respond to someone who has the audacity to defend a multi-billion dollar company using shitty business tactics.

The defense of the Epic Store is so sad I almost think there is an element of trolling contributed to it.

Walker_Boh

Oct 25, 2017
Boise, Idaho
I'm pretty sure the whole Rise of the Tomb Raider fiasco that MS did is on the same level as what Epic is doing. The difference is MS learned their lesson from that shitshow while Epic keeps touching the hot stove.

brain_stew

Oct 30, 2017
I have requested a refund of the game for this reason.
I know its Epic and they are just doing their own d@mn thing, but it amazes me that they are requiring players to launch the game from within the Epic Launcher if they want to play in VR mode.

Going to "Settings" from the Launcher's main page and entering different combinations of known VR commands under the Tetris Effect "Parameters" doesn't help. ....They did it with "Trover Saves The Universe" and they are doing it again.

Hold up, they're actively blocking you from launching it from within the Oculus client (like I can do with every Oculus and none Oculus title)? That can't be right, they're selling a VR title that can't be launched in VR?

If that's correct it's disgusting, and actively damaging to the PC VR experience.

My partner loves VR and loves Tetris but if she's going to have to navigate with keyboard and mouse to a client she's never used just to play the game then she's not going to bother. Increased friction is one of the biggest barriers to the PC VR experience and this is introducing a whole load of friction to the experience. It's deliberate sabotage of the experience.

Last edited:

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
In what way does that post somehow discredit my point? It's just noting that, again. Battle.net and Origin have gotten nowhere near the level of backlash the Epic Games Store is currently receiving now.

I've even made a little edit now to make it more clear that it's referring to that in particular.

Alright, now ask yourself this.
"Will Epic ever fix the problems?"
and the answer should be yes. They will.
Once again, Steam fixed everything people were complaining about during the early days of the service. There should be no reason why anyone should be acting like it's something that can never be repaired.

This is the exact negative feedback loop i was talking about, people immediately forgetting that shit can be fixed. Before moving onto the next non-controversy after it is.

The good news is that they're perfectly aware of this, and are actively working to fix the situation. Even paying for Shenmue 3 refunds out of their own pocket.

It's just that people are acting like they aren't listening, and that they aren't ever going to change a damn thing despite it being clear they are.

and of course, there's the massive issue of people acting incredibly hostile to Epic over said store. When even calmly explaining said issues to them would have worked just as well.

"Oh hey guys, plead give a pass to the new store. It's new so it's OK to not have the features that make their competitors a better option, Tim said that moneyhatting exclusives will be how they will compete. Oh, and pls ignore the fact they can't stick to their own road map: features will be coming Soon™, kthxbye"

Krvavi Abadas

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Videoland
User Banned (3 Days): Trolling over multiple posts; prior warning for similar behavior.
No need to respond to someone who has the audacity to defend a multi-billion dollar company using shitty business tactics.

Buddy, i've got some bad news about Steam.
t4uky21.png

They're just as much of a multi-billion dollar company as Epic is, which brings up another good point. The fact that people are acting like Steam is the underdog in this situation. The poor small company that keeps getting all of it's games taken by Epic, when they're just as big, if not larger. Than the alleged "bad guy".

and yes, they've done some "shitty business tactics" themselves, remember when random user's private info got leaked during a sale? Or when they violated Australian laws on refunds? Or even the fact they have the lowest score possible on the Better Business Bureau due to how bad their consumer support is?

There's no real heroes in this situation,
no matter how much the people making aggressive posts think that one company is somehow "better" than the other.
If you want to help change things for the better, calmly explain to Epic, or Valve, or anyone else. What their current issues are. and give them time to work on that. Vitriol isn't going to improve the situation in any form.

OP has explained them how EGS is an inferior product.

You bring back the same defense that has be beaten to death, move goalposts and now ask for the feedback?

It's been given in several EGS threads already. Your want to beat a dead horse with your arguments.

You're completely failing to understand the point i'm making.
Epic already has the feedback, they know what people are saying. It's just that you shouldn't posting angry, overaggressive garbage acting like Epic & Tim Sweeny has personally murdered every single person you love just because they happen to run a store client you don't like.

Again, there are added rules in EGS threads now because of how vitriolic people have gotten over it, and it certainly looks like they haven't changed the discourse surrounding it all that much.

Last edited:

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
Buddy, i've got some bad news about Steam.
t4uky21.png

They're just as much of a multi-billion dollar company as Epic is, which brings up another good point. The fact that people are acting like Steam is the underdog in this situation. The poor small company that keeps getting all of it's games taken by Epic, when they're just as big, if not larger. Than the alleged "bad guy".

and yes, they've done some "shitty business tactics" themselves, remember when random user's private info got leaked during a sale? Or when they violated Australian laws on refunds? Or even the fact they have the lowest score possible on the Better Business Bureau due to how bad their consumer support is?

There's no real heroes in this situation,
no matter how much the people making aggressive posts think that one company is somehow "better" than the other.
If you want to help change things for the better, calmly explain to Epic, or Valve, or anyone else. What their current issues are. and give them time to work on that. Vitriol isn't going to improve the situation in any form.
OP has explained already how EGS is an inferior product in plenty of threads.

You bring back the same defense that has been beaten to death, move goalposts and now ask for the feedback?

It's been given in several EGS threads already. You want to beat a dead horse with your arguments.

Last edited:

nded

Nov 14, 2017
Calling an accidental leak a business decision is pretty weird. Thinking a BBB rating means anything is even weirder.

Merv

Oct 27, 2017
All bullshit aside. Tim attacking Steam constantly and then buying exclusivity for a game using Steam technology is peak irony. No whataboutism argument will change that.

Krejlooc point stands.

CthulhuSars

Oct 25, 2017
All bullshit aside. Tim attacking Steam constantly and then buying exclusivity for a game using Steam technology is peak irony. No whataboutism argument will change that.

Krejlooc point stands.

100%

The funny part is EGS could be brilliant but they came in swinging with no goals other than to shake shit up and it has left a terrible impression with a lot of people. PC gaming has always been the wild west but exclusive bullshit was left at the console level.

Merv

Oct 27, 2017
100%

The funny part is EGS could be brilliant but they came in swinging with no goals other than to shake shit up and it has left a terrible impression with a lot of people. PC gaming has always been the wild west but exclusive bullshit was left at the console level.

I love the Metro series and almost forgot Exodus came out. Then I remembered it's on EGS, so I'm waiting. Maybe I will have an RT card by then.

Suedemaker

Linked the Fire
Jun 4, 2019
I don't get it. The linked tweet includes OculusVR in the FAQ as well. What's the big deal?

They are giving instructions on how to use the VR mode with the respective headsets. Oculus -> OculusVR, Vive -> SteamVR

Or is this just a "shit on Epic" thread?

From the first page:
Might be reading it wrong, but it says you need it for the Vive. But if you have oculus you use Oculus VR.
Oculus VR uses SteamVR for multiheadset titles.
As in, games that aren't exclusive to Oculus use the SteamVR api

--------
I'm not really upset, but I think it's really important for me to clear up that I was being very sincere. I played the game this morning and then saw the first active thread about the game and gave my impressions.

I'm not sure what Jawmuncher saw in that post that was considered trolling. But I think it's important for me to know.

Not speaking for the mods here or anything but if I had to guess, the post received a warning because there is another thread about the game being available on PC/exclusive to EGS, this thread is particularly about the fact that it uses SteamVR; making the post seem mildly off-topic and baity considering the sensitivity of EGS threads.

All of that being said....this just shows exactly why I don't support the EGS. If they were just funding exclusives (like Google with Stadia) it'd be more tolerable. Instead, they are paying to simply keep things off of Steam, not even exclusive to EGS as Metro Exodus showed a month ago when it came to PC via Gamepass. If they had funded the PC development of Tetris Effect from the jump, they could have used OpenVR, but at the very least this makes it appear as though they just snapped it up last minute knowing people were wanting it on PC. It would be wild if that weren't the case...but I doubt it.

Deleted member 3058

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
User Warned: ignoring mod post, misrepresenting other members posts and moderation

Miller

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's just that you shouldn't posting angry, overaggressive garbage acting like Epic & Tim Sweeny has personally murdered every single person you love just because they happen to run a store client you don't like.

I get that you're not being literal, but jeez. You'd think people were freaking out or something. What has anyone in this thread said to warrant that level of hyperbole? Maybe I missed something because I've been reading this thread all day consistently as people post, but the only person I've seen catch a ban (or even a warning for anything other than positivity erroneously perceived as sarcastic trolling) in all 11 pages has been the OP -- someone whose patience was praised, unprompted, by several others. Even after their ban, there has been a parade route of posters of all stripes marching through this thread to decry the circumstances of the ban because the OP was punished exclusively for their response to a baseless personal attack from someone on the side of this discussion that you are interestingly not ascribing "angry, overaggressive garbage" to.

From where I'm sitting, you have this issue and the metadiscussion surrounding it exactly wrong.

Nov 28, 2017
Sweden
Unless I'm seriously mistaken this thread is filled with misinformation from the very OP. They did use OpenVR. That's how you implement SteamVR in a game. OpenVR is the API, SteamVR is the runtime. There is no separate SteamVR API. At least not that I could find.

I have developed an OpenVR game. It requires SteamVR to run. At least last time I checked.

So it's either use SteamVR, reverse engineer it or don't support Vive (unless there's a Vive specific API).

Nov 8, 2017
Kind of off topic, but you can get Exodus on Games Pass for PC. I don't know if they are still doing the $1 for a month thing still or not.

Since I already had the sub that's how I played it, but the xbox app isn't a great experience and it being behind 300 layers of security prevented me from getting RTSS working with it which was really frustrating.

ThatOneGuy831

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
User Warned: ignoring mod post, misrepresenting other members posts and moderation
Patience of a saint and still got banned for eventually losing their patience having to debate against this bullshit:

How nice of Kate to wait until after Krejlooc got banned to edit that insulting baiting comment out of their post, too.
And they haven't returned to the thread since he got banned. Seems like they got what they wanted baiting him into ban.

Sailent

Mar 2, 2018
Man this is so wonderful to finally play. I had the PS4 version and played it on my tv. But finally getting to play it on the Vive is incredible. It's sooo cool and completely washes over you. Great to finally have this on PC.

Wait, were you being sarcastic?

I'm a little confused as well right now.

Also, Tetris Effect developers are the one that chose to use SteamVR, not Epic ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Valve can afford to develop steam VR because they are a multi-billion-dollar private company. They could continue to develop it even without taking 30% of every indie's revenue. This literally has nothing to do with the 30% cut. What are you proposing? The game's cut has to be 30% because they use SteamVR? Why?

The game obviously uses steam VR because it was developed for steam VR. Why would this change just because Epic offered them money for a timed PC exclusive? Why should they pull out a working solution just because they're on EGS? Do you really think Epic should require the developer to change APIs just for that reason? Considering how angry people get about having to use EGS you'd think they'd be happy to have a game using Steam APIs considering they all have Steam installed and want games to be Steam-exclusive already at the cost of developers' revenue.

Like, I get it, you hate Epic [edit: inflammatory phrasing here removed], I agree that the exclusives feel really gross. But this is absurd and betrays a complete misunderstanding of how development (and economics!) work. Steam VR is not that complicated to maintain, I'd estimate 6 engineers tops and probably not full time. The *actual VR tech* was much more of an involved undertaking, but the R&D on that occurred industry wide (Valve relied on partners like HTC for a lot, and much of this research happened at Bethesda, Oculus, Microsoft, etc) and headsets don't rely on SteamVR for all of their functionality. It's a frontend with some UI and some useful features and an SDK. No one is being harmed by a game that was built for SteamVR continuing to use SteamVR.

EDIT:

It technically is if you're on EGS, Epic has officially waived the license fees since they already take a cut of your revenue. Not so on Steam or Itch, though. I'd like it if it was free universally.

And this is the only good answer in the thread.

Last edited:

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
If Steam let other companies use SteamVR for free, for sure they think whatever they invested in developing it is worth less than making the few people that don't have Steam install it even when they get games from other stores.

I don't see any problem at all. The 30% talk has nothing to do with it.

Snormy

I'll think about it
Oct 25, 2017
Morizora's Forest
Official Staff Communication
The guidelines in the staff post have been continuously ignored, and the thread has been derailed as a result. As such we're closing this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.