• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Screen Looker

Nov 17, 2018
Cool, where is their roadmap for store improvements for the benefit of the customer that does not include money hatting exclusives?

Will repeat the Tesla analogy people are using, they did not show up with an incomplete car and told people to be patient about missing features. If anything Tesla showed up with a fully functional and compliant car AND it was innovative AND had a bunch of cool bells and whistles to make people want to buy it over the competition. That's how you show up to really compete against established companies.

Tesla also can't get cars to customers on a decent timeline and it's part of why they are being lapped by other manufacturers in the same industry now offering the same features they pioneered years ago but couldnt keep up with production on.

This year was the first year in Tesla's existence where the average wait time was less than 12 months for a car.

Oct 29, 2017
I do not really buy many PC games and the few I buy are usually on battle.net

But I've installed this for the Free Subnautica game :D

Nov 8, 2017
Valve should just announce 85/15 and every discussion about competition is over. :D

I would be happy but that would have far more impact on valve than it would on discord or epic. Those stores sell extremely little (or did not exist until recently) so they are focussed on building their business up. Positive news articles about them cutting their take could viably increase their revenue since its so tiny to start with and they're desperate to convince people to use their store for any reason. Steam by comparison would halve their entire revenue overnight by implementing something like that. While I'm sure their core infrastructure could survive with that, their innovation and side projects may not.

Parfait

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This thing is so fuckin rushed out. It's sucking up most of my cpu just browsing the unsortable, incomprehensible store. No options for the games in the library.

Everything about this feels so rushed like it's trying to cash in on the fortnite crowd while it's still there. And no cloud saves? Yikes.

Screen Looker

Nov 17, 2018
People getting cheap keys from gmg and the likes is over then too.

I don't understand the correlation. Steam charges nothing for Keys.

Their only stipulation for keys is that Steam users cannot get a worse deal for any significant period of time. If Valve is giving, they have no reason to stop. Unless you all are saying it's ok for Valve to act out of financial stability but others cannot?
The game might have DS4 support, but the client does not offer any of the controller features that Steam Input includes.

Somehow I doubt you will see developers abandoning Steam for this 90/10 split, unless it also comes with a suitcase full of money.
It doesn't matter what they are claiming about the 88/12 split being good for the industry or all the other "good reasons" they have put forward for abandoning Steam - they're being paid to do it, and having high visibility on a store with a very limited selection of games is a good motivator as well.
It's easy to see why developers would take that deal, but they could at least be honest about it.

How is it a "claim" that 88/12 is better for the industry? It is better for the development/vendor side of the industry to give less to storefronts as a third party. There's not a dispute that it benefits vendors in that way.

How is claiming 88/12 is better mean that people have to leave Steam? If they pay for exclusivity, then they're financially incentivizing them to leave Steam. Until then 90/10 and 88/12 are just vendor marketing equations for people to choose storefronts in addition to Steam or to choose storefronts aside from Steam, but it is merely competition in the vendor market to offer a better deal.

Seems like Discord wants to take a fight vs Steam/Epic/GG/GMG

Just a minor edit here since it's important to note this is not just a vendor attraction tool between Epic and Discord but all of third party PC Gaming outside publisher clients.

I mean, this guy is pretty transparent and his sudden interest in the epic store and pc threads is no surprise.

Epic/Tencent cant even compete with a single person running itch.io.

"But muh competition good for you !"

My interest in the Epic Store was to see how people reacted to the announcement given that they and Discord have both seemingly jumped into this space on the last few months with different approaches. Paragon was dead, long live Paragon, and I don't play Fortnite. Why the fuck would I talk about Epic or their launcher if I'm not playing their games before this point.

You're right I don't play a ton of games on PC, but I don't NOT play games on PC. I think Google's Project Stream is also radically interesting, but that's not the conversation here today. I think the future of Playstation Now, Xbox Game Pass, Origin Pass, etc. is amazing to consider for all of videogamedom because what if a streaming service actually does get it right? That's interesting.

Back on topic: Given the daily tenor around my friend group, developers, and even other consumer complaints about Steam I was very surprised at the reaction to new stores entering, especially Epic entering with exclusive since literally Discord has just announced a launch with exclusives, edit:, weeks ago.

So why am I contributing now where normally I don't? It's something I can actually contribute to in this PC conversation because generally, you all are more knowledgeable on that front, so who am I to say a single word. But when it comes to economics, market competition, and the general market things people who refer to themselves as "consumers" discuss, then I know I am qualified as that is something Iiiiii do know. I've acquiesced multiple times when I don't know something or I misread something and you are literally saying that I'm here with an agenda about "my competition list."

I don't give a penny to Epic on a daily basis. I played Paragon for free and never spent a dime. I don't play Fortnite. I actively do not pay attention to Unreal Engine, though this store makes people using it more interesting. I mean, if I was WB Games you think I give a shit about giving 7% to Epic if I already used to give 5% on every sale from using the engine? How is that not interesting to you that a major publisher can just choose flat out to do that?

I have read PC threads for a long time and not contributed. (Again, I had to create another user so this isn't my first one). I built a PC to play games/shoot video/better handle things in my day to day (plus it felt good to build things) and I use those threads to help me understand what I'm doing alongside other sources. I didn't expect to walk into every thread and people would literally be complaining a store exclusive as tantamount to overthrowing their favorite market giant.

I also didn't expect people to think that Itch.io has ever competed for vendors with Steam. I also didn't expect anyone to think Gog or GMG with much lower user bases actually competes with Steam. The moment any of them have done things Steam doesn't, Steam has added it within a period of time post-release.

There are literally people joining in here to say "Steam should just announce 88/12 and finish this whole thing." You're all rooting for the big guy. I'm just trying to get my mind around how none of you can recognize a market giant and the way in which you all won't even let another player get a chance. They could launch with every feature under the sun and you all would be the exact same way asking for Steam to do it instead of just launching on another application.

I think you're lying to yourselves if you think features make the difference. You won't even pay more for games on Steam if a lower price exists elsewhere that will get you to the same spot. So you're going to move to Epic because they have all the same features and Steam prices? You're not.

I'm just fascinated you all won't admit that theres literally nothing Epic could have done at launch of their store to not be hit with "oh another launcher." "Why are we doing this?" Even if developers chose no exclusivity deal and Epic didn't recognize that their literally losing millions of dollars not signing up with Steam to release first: "Why don't you just put your game in Steam?" "This is inconvenient to the consumer." And if they had launched with a feature Steam didn't have? They actively would've copied it within a period of time post-launch and that would've been squashed anyway.

You all do not respect developer choices to take deals. You don't respect storefront decisions to offer deals. But you'll respect a publisher buying a mid-size studio that literally cannot survive on the sales independent developers make currently in the PC market and removing those games entirely to their own store. Big time names are crowdfunding to release games on PC just to even know what interest there is in a game because it's that much of a risk.

It's just fascinating. THATS why I'm in these threads. That's why I've been trying to have healthy conversation while also standing firm in my viewpoints. I could literally give no fucks about Epic or Steam or any other digital storefront or even a piece of plastic as long as it plays games and I can play the things I want on it. But yes, Iiiiii have an agenda of "pro-competition" because I said don't throw the baby out with the bath water over the launch of a new service that's now 8 days old.

Joe Spangle

Nov 1, 2017
I'm just fascinated you all won't admit that theres literally nothing Epic could have done at launch of their store to not be hit with "oh another launcher." "Why are we doing this?"

Epic store / launcher could have launched with the bear minimum of features on their store and i would be happy to buy and use it but from what ive read there is no real reason for me to do so. All the other launchers have managed to carve out a part of the market and find a place along side the market leader. Im not going to give a company with the financial clout of Epic a pass on not providing a few modern PC gaming features just for the sake of it, they have the benefit of seeing how all these other clients do things and should have put at least a few features in to attract me but its very bare bones from what i can see. The reason Steam is so dominant is that they invested early when Epic decided to pull out of the PC market. Epic are playing catch up and they are miles behind.

Echo1

Banned
Oct 25, 2018
Respect has to be mutual. I respect the developer's choice, they respect mine. If my choice is to not support services and developers that go the moneyhat route, is that choice not worthy of respect too?

No, your choice is not worthy of respect because said choice is rooted in entitlement and whinyness as opposed to legitimate issues - a lower cut to the storefront, better developer support, etc.

Knowing this, lots of people who complain about the Epic store point to legitimate issues that do not personally impact them as a way of 'justifying' the complaints. But the thoughtful people here can see that for what it is - people who are used to X complaining when anything threatens X, despite X itself being hated to a even greater extent when it launched. It's all bullshit.

There is an objective reality that exists, where certain things hold more value than others. Indie devs trying to get paid more money so as to make it easier to games is more legitimate than someone wanting all their PC games to be managed in one app.

Last edited:

Echo1

Banned
Oct 25, 2018
Epic store / launcher could have launched with the bear minimum of features on their store and i would be happy to buy and use it but from what ive read there is no real reason for me to do so. All the other launchers have managed to carve out a part of the market and find a place along side the market leader. Im not going to give a company with the financial clout of Epic a pass on not providing a few modern PC gaming features just for the sake of it, they have the benefit of seeing how all these other clients do things and should have put at least a few features in to attract me but its very bare bones from what i can see. The reason Steam is so dominant is that they invested early when Epic decided to pull out of the PC market. Epic are playing catch up and they are miles behind.

The reason Steam is so dominate is Valve forced people to install it to play CS 1.6/Half-Life 2/CS:S. When PC retail finally collapsed, they were well positioned to capitalize.

Of course, somehow Valve's actions are 'more legitimate', though I can't discern any objective reason as to how. There is no real objective difference between tying your own PC game to a given storefront versus third parties tying theirs to a storefront. The exchange of actual money for timed exclusivity versus the permanent bundling of economic opportunity for Valve with a game that is not inheriently related to that opportunity - these do not differ in any real way, with the exception of Valve's actions back in the early 2000s having a greater potential economic upside.

Last edited:

Joe Spangle

Nov 1, 2017
The reason Steam is so dominate is Valve forced people to install it to play CS 1.6/Half-Life 2/CS:S. When PC retail finally collapsed, they were well positioned to capitalize.

Of course, somehow Valve's actions are 'more legitimate', though I can't discern any objective matter how. There is no real objective difference between tying your own PC game to a given storefront versus third parties tying theirs to the storefront. The exchange of actual money for timed exclusivity versus the permanent bundling of economic opportunity for Valve with a game that is not inheriently related to that opportunity do not differ in any real way, with the exception of Valve's actions back in the early 2000s having a greater potential economic upside.

Yeah you are right. I remember bunking off work to buy Half Life 2 and installing Steam to play it. Was a bit weird then but that game was enough to make me jump through the hoops. They did make me buy into the client. Fast forward umpteen years and i now have 400 odd games on Steam. I don't know if that makes it more legitimate but for me its meant a good amount of play time using a client that works well for my set up and a level of confidence that my game library will be there for the foreseeable future. I've no problem with Epic trying to get into the market and if they show they are in it for the long haul they will get some business from me but the PC game world of 2018 is pretty different from that of 2004. Epic haven't launched their new store with a massively popular first party exclusive so for me there isnt the same hook. Coupled with the lack of client features i think it will take either time or some massive first party exclusives to get me to buy from it.

Echo1

Banned
Oct 25, 2018
Yeah you are right. I remember bunking off work to buy Half Life 2 and installing Steam to play it. Was a bit weird then but that game was enough to make me jump through the hoops. They did make me buy into the client. Fast forward umpteen years and i now have 400 odd games on Steam. I don't know if that makes it more legitimate but for me its meant a good amount of play time using a client that works well for my set up and a level of confidence that my game library will be there for the foreseeable future. I've no problem with Epic trying to get into the market and if they show they are in it for the long haul they will get some business from me but the PC game world of 2018 is pretty different from that of 2004. Epic haven't launched their new store with a massively popular first party exclusive so for me there isnt the same hook. Coupled with the lack of client features i think it will take either time or some massive first party exclusives to get me to buy from it.

Well, Half-Life 2 was a once in a generation kind of moment, a game that feels like it's from the not-too-distant future. That it shouldn't be possible yet, but somehow it is & it's here & it's incredible.

Epic has their work cut out for them, but ending the 30% grift model of PC games retail, finally forcing Valve to make video games again rather than skimming off the top is something that benefits developers, players & the PC as a platform.

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017

Of course, somehow Valve's actions are 'more legitimate', though I can't discern any objective matter how. There is no real objective difference between tying your own PC game to a given storefront versus third parties tying theirs to the storefront. The exchange of actual money for timed exclusivity versus the permanent bundling of economic opportunity for Valve with a game that is not inheriently related to that opportunity do not differ in any real way, with the exception of Valve's actions back in the early 2000s having a greater potential economic upside.

Trust is the issue.

I needed 7 Years before I trusted Steam with my game purchases.
Why is it strange to give Epic some years before we can trust them?

One of the arguments of the bare-bones Epic store was, that Steam also needed 15 years before it was at the point it is now. But many forget, that the Feature-list that Valve implemented over the years also included the work to build up trust, an emotional and financial response from its potential customers.

"No-steam-no-buy" was 10 to 5 years prior "if-Steam-then-no-buy" in MANY, MANY, PC gaming circles. There were very heated Fan responses to publishers or devs going to Steam. Egosoft with the X Series or Paradox are some of the examples who had to fight an uphill battle because they switched to an online model.

Echo1

Banned
Oct 25, 2018
Trust is the issue.

I needed 7 Years before I trusted Steam with my game purchases.
Why is it strange to give Epic some years before we can trust them?

One of the arguments of the bare-bones Epic store was, that Steam also needed 15 years before it was at the point it is now. But many forget, that the Feature-list that Valve implemented over the years also included the work to build up trust, an emotional and financial response from its potential customers.

"No-steam-no-buy" was 10 to 5 years prior "if-Steam-then-no-buy" in MANY, MANY, PC gaming circles. There were very heated Fan responses to publishers or devs going to Steam. Egosoft with the X Series or Paradox are some of the examples who had to fight an uphill battle because they switched to an online model.

Epic is not a fly by night outfit. They are one of the most successful and most important companies in gaming period - with Unreal Engine and whatnot. Epic is not going to take your money and not give you a game. They aren't into penny antee stuff.

Feature lists are only useful for list wars. Steam has big, big problems that could be solved by culling some of those features, which is what Epic is doing - they have described as much publicity.

Steam also has lots of bloat, lots of garbage from 2004. Stuff like DVD game backups and a built in MP3 player. The entire app feels like a Windows XP time machine. Building something new and modern is a good thing to do.

What happened is that people got used to Steam, accepted it, began to like it. We should recognize that for what it is.

Oct 27, 2017
Am I wrong, or does this bare-bones store not even have a download speed cap in 2018? At the moment it's making it impossible for me to reliably watch videos online while I'm downloading from it. What a joke.

Echo1

Banned
Oct 25, 2018
User Banned (2 Weeks): Continual trolling after recently being banned for similar behaviour, Account in Junior Phase
Am I wrong, or does this bare-bones store not even have a download speed cap in 2018? At the moment it's making it impossible for me to reliably watch videos online while I'm downloading from it. What a joke.

Download speed caps are not the domain of modern software. Your router should be handling QoS for you. Any modern consumer mesh (and quite a few of the nicer routers in general) setup will do this without requiring any setup from you.

Download speed caps, much like the 'backup your game to a DVD' option in Steam, are an old software thing. They address common problems from 2004, but those problems do not impact a material number of users in 2018.

Going forward, that number will drop from non-material to near zero. Advancements in the technology behind cable modems and 5G (both of which will be products consumers can buy next year) effectively create more bandwidth than consumers need.

It doesn't really cost Epic much to add a download speed limiter, but it trains consumers to expect each app to account for their broken network, rather than being told to fix their network.

Last edited:

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
Feature lists are only useful for list wars. Steam has big, big problems that could be solved by culling some of those features, which is what Epic is doing - they have described as much publicity.

Yeah, things like Cloud saves, communities, consumer friendly refunds, and regional pricing are just list wars stuff. They serve no real purpose, and would be better off eliminated. No features is the hot new thing and Epic's blazing the trail.

Echo1

Banned
Oct 25, 2018
Yeah, things like Cloud saves, communities, consumer friendly refunds, and regional pricing are just list wars stuff. They serve no real purpose, and would be better off eliminated. No features is the hot new thing and Epic's blazing the trail.

Look, more nonsense! Notice how I never said that cloud saves are legacy bloat? It's because I don't feel that way. Communities (as in awful message boards that are force-attached to every game) are awful, though.

As an aside, some of the features you listed are complicated. Regional pricing, for instance, is completely broken & widely abused on Steam. It took ages for other platforms - Xbox Live, Origin and the like - to do regional pricing in a way that doesn't incur lots of abuse. But Valve doesn't bother, because they are Valve.

Not everything is as easy as flipping a switch.

Last edited:

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
Epic is not a fly by night outfit. They are one of the most successful and most important companies in gaming period - with Unreal Engine and whatnot. Epic is not going to take your money and not give you a game. They aren't into penny antee stuff.

Steam also has lots of bloat, lots of garbage from 2004. Stuff like DVD game backups and a built in MP3 player. The entire app feels like a Windows XP time machine. Building something new and modern is a good thing to do.

What happened is that people got used to Steam, accepted it, began to like it. We should recognize that for what it is.

Oh, so we agree that Epic is a big company backed by an even bigger company ?
So they have zero excuses for being late on features.

On top of that, I have a counterexemple:
Microsoft and GFWL.

Echo1

Banned
Oct 25, 2018
Awful, as in they shouldn't exist?

As in they should very so much be optional (for the dev) as the very least.

Oh, so we agree that Epic is a big company backed by an even bigger company ?
So they have zero excuses for being late on features.

On top of that, I have a counterexemple:
Microsoft and GFWL.

My eyes are rolling out of my head. Until you show good faith, I am not going to respond to further stuff from you.

'Late on features' 🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄

XR.

Nov 22, 2018
As in they should very so much be optional (for the dev) as the very least.
I see what you're saying, but I think the risk of abuse is more likely than a scenario where a developer has legitimate reasons to shut down discussion. If anything, this should be done on a case by case basis, where Steam moderators will have to evaluate whether they have a valid reason to shut down the whole forum for their game.

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
So is it confirmed that the games we get in the 2 week offer is free to keep way past the 2 weeks or is it free just for two weeks?

(Already redeemed the game lol)

Talus

Banned
Dec 9, 2017
I can't wait to see how this all goes down in the future. I'm optimistic that in 2019 they're going to go hard on building up and improving their store enough to the point where most people wont be so vehemently opposed to the idea of it. It's not exactly like the competition is moving at a fast pace currently, so when the majority of the systems come online in 2019, with the allure of quality exclusive indie games and big AAA publishers.. the store should really come into its own.

Kei-

Mar 1, 2018
Even if you don't enjoy Fortnite, the evolution its seen over the past year has been nothing short of amazing and unprecedented. If this is any indicator of the type of support and updates the store will see, then we are in for a treat. And this is an even bigger priority for them.

XR.

Nov 22, 2018
I can't wait to see how this all goes down in the future. I'm optimistic that in 2019 they're going to go hard on building up and improving their store enough to the point where most people wont be so vehemently opposed to the idea of it. It's not exactly like the competition is moving at a fast pace currently, so when the majority of the systems come online in 2019, with the allure of quality exclusive indie games and big AAA publishers.. the store should really come into its own.
I'm excited to see what all this leads to as well, but I'm not confident Epic has the right idea for this store. I don't have an issue with them moneyhatting or having a barebones client, but I do have an issue with them taking a stand against refunds, community forums, user reviews and seemingly every customer benefit in existence.

If they just launched the store (as it is right now) and had an ambition to improve it (i.e. add community forums, reviews, refunds and other features) I'd have no issues with this at all, and I'd probably buy Ashen and Hades in a heartbeat. As it is right now though, I'd rather play my current backlog on Steam/GOG/Origin/Battle.net than dealing with this.

Having said that, if Dark Souls 4 was exclusive to the Epic Games Store, I'd probably be there day one.

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So I just went and got the free copy of Submautoca and was surprised to see that signing up for the developers mailing list was a subtle OPT OUT. In the purchase process a subtle checkbox reads "Click here to not receive emails". If I hadn't stopped to read it I would have absolutely assumed it was the other way around. Sneaky. No, Epic. Being signed up for a developers mailing list isn't a feature. Tricking people into signing up for it automatically wont make anyone happy.

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
So I just went and got the free copy of Submautoca and was surprised to see that signing up for the developers mailing list was a subtle OPT OUT. In the purchase process a subtle checkbox reads "Click here to not receive emails". If I hadn't stopped to read it I would have absolutely assumed it was the other way around. Sneaky. No, Epic. Being signed up for a developers mailing list isn't a feature. Tricking people into signing up for it automatically wont make anyone happy.

I have a feeling I chose the wrong option.

I unchecked it ugh

Talus

Banned
Dec 9, 2017
I'm excited to see what all this leads to as well, but I'm not confident Epic has the right idea for this store. I don't have an issue with them moneyhatting or having a barebones client, but I do have an issue with them taking a stand against refunds, community forums, user reviews and seemingly every customer benefit in existence.

If they just launched the store (as it is right now) and had an ambition to improve it (i.e. add community forums, reviews, refunds and other features) I'd have no issues with this at all, and I'd probably buy Ashen and Hades in a heartbeat. As it is right now though, I'd rather play my current backlog on Steam/GOG/Origin/Battle.net than dealing with this.

Having said that, if Dark Souls 4 was exclusive to the Epic Games Store, I'd probably be there day one.
Yea, I have a feeling they are going to have to revise their refund policy relatively soon. Epic will eventually realize that they aren't doing themselves any favors there, and a good refund policy goes a long way to ease peoples concerns about supporting any given platform. I think they're really just trying to impress and alleviate concerns from devs/pubs, since they are just starting out. That will definitely change. Also in the future something like the ability to resell your digital copy and get a small percentage back would be nice.

About the forums, yes it's very convenient to have community forums as a feature of the store, however, I'm of the opinion that it's relatively easy to use of any of the already existing forums on the internet to ask questions and get help. So that's not an issue for me personally. It's more of a convenience.. not a prerequisite.

It's too early to speculate on everything yet though. I'm sure some big changes will be coming in 2019 from most of the major players.

sheaaaa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Look, more nonsense! Notice how I never said that cloud saves are legacy bloat? It's because I don't feel that way. Communities (as in awful message boards that are force-attached to every game) are awful, though.

As an aside, some of the features you listed are complicated. Regional pricing, for instance, is completely broken & widely abused on Steam. It took ages for other platforms - Xbox Live, Origin and the like - to do regional pricing in a way that doesn't incur lots of abuse. But Valve doesn't bother, because they are Valve.

Not everything is as easy as flipping a switch.

I know you're rightfully banned but I'd really like receipts on regional pricing being completely broken and widely abused on Steam, cause that sounds like bullshit.

Regional pricing benefits literally everyone and Valve has had measures to prevent its abuse for years.

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
I know you're rightfully banned but I'd really like receipts on regional pricing being completely broken and widely abused on Steam, cause that sounds like bullshit.

Regional pricing benefits literally everyone and Valve has had measures to prevent its abuse for years.

I would guess he was thinking of that recent Polygon article which had devs saying regional pricing "was like discounts they didn't know were automatically applied". We're going to be wading through the shit fallout of that pile of drivel for years.

This is a good article - hits all the points without getting bogged down in irrelevant details, and it never occured to me to query the "number of players on PC (which is the relevant platform for the Epic Store)" point.

Last edited:

Madjoki

Oct 25, 2017
I would guess he was thinking of that recent Polygon article which had devs saying regional pricing "was like discounts they didn't know were automatically applied". We're going to be wading through the shit fallout of that pile of drivel for years.

Most likely just trolling, he compares to Xbox, where your account can belong to number of regions, and you can buy from each of those. Just popin gift card from regions to activate. (Compared to Steam where currencies automatically convert to your local). Gift cards can be bought with paypal from Microsoft Store.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
I'm just fascinated you all won't admit that theres literally nothing Epic could have done at launch of their store to not be hit with "oh another launcher." "Why are we doing this?"
If the service was DRM-free (like Itch, Humble, GOG etc.) and was not required to play the games I would have far less of an issue with them launching a store.
It's required for multiplayer games, and I'm not clear on whether it's optional for single player games or not required at all.
I still wouldn't be happy about them buying up exclusives, but it would be far less of a problem.

On top of that, I just tried to install Subnautica and after the client not appearing to do anything for several minutes, I was given an error code that doesn't point to anything:
dp-06-p8eve.png

It is also not a permissions error, because the user does have write permissions to that directory, unless the client is not handling UAC elevation properly during installation.

Deleted member 10601

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Have you tried to run the client with admin rights? You can also try to install the game outside the program folder.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Have you tried to run the client with admin rights? You can also try to install the game outside the program folder.
No, and I am not prepared to do that. No software gets admin rights on my system unless it is required. It gives a prompt for UAC elevation when installing, which should be sufficient, but that doesn't help.
I've tracked down the issue and it's a really dumb one. The Epic client installs to "C:\Program Files (x86)\Epic Games\" (and I confirmed that this is still true by uninstalling and reinstalling it) but the default location it uses for games is "C:\Program Files\Epic Games\" which does not exist.
Even after creating a folder there, it still won't install games to that location, but after editing the installation path to (x86) it works.
Not sure why more people haven't run into this problem, unless they're all running software as Admin.

EDIT:
The client appears to be 64-bit so I'm not sure why the default installation location is "Program Files (x86)". Is anyone else seeing this?
I tried selecting the non-x86 directory during installation but it's always redirected, and the location picker during installation looks like it was from Windows 3.1:
epic-file-picker-31-z4dwj.png

Last edited:

Joe Spangle

Nov 1, 2017
About the forums, yes it's very convenient to have community forums as a feature of the store, however, I'm of the opinion that it's relatively easy to use of any of the already existing forums on the internet to ask questions and get help. So that's not an issue for me personally. It's more of a convenience.. not a prerequisite.

I find them useful as i play on the sofa with my PC plugged into the tele. I use it more like a console so having to switch to a different forum using a browser isn't as convenient as swapping over to the discussion page. The forums aren't one of those features i would deem essential but i do think they are an overall bonus to me as a user.