• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Screen Looker

Nov 17, 2018
I mean, yes, it's a "convenience question" — the forums provide a centralized place to check for answers to an issue I'm having that are available from the overlay and which I know will exist.

Not having to hunt down a dev's website and check if they happen to have a forum is a convenience, but, like, aren't convieniences exactly the pro-consumer things we should be praising stores for having? When the same product is sold in multiple stores, stores compete on prices and convenience. Conveniences are a good thing. Surely we want additional conveniences thrown in with our purchases.

My point isn't forums are bad, but that the things you all are saying are beneficial about forums can be replaced fairly easily.

I said to another poster that my suggestion to Epic would be to make a way to easily provide a FAQ or Solutions page for common problems people may have in a game.

It's the same idea but without the noise.

Micael

Oct 28, 2017
Seeing less consumer rights being passed down as a benefit to the consumer is the sort of thing that makes me think resetera got hacked and is redirecting to reddit The_Donald.

I am yet to see how less transparency on what consumers think of a product, less possibility to refund a product that does not satisfy the consumer (assuming it even works), and generally less communication between developers and its user base is a boon for consumer, all so devs that generally are already very successful get to make even more money.

Lucid

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
I'd say I'm surprised at how many people are supporting this shit and making up excuses for Epic, but then I remember this forum has a serious hate boner for Valve and it all makes sense

senj

Nov 6, 2017
My point isn't forums are bad, but that the things you all are saying are beneficial about forums can be replaced fairly easily.

I said to another poster that my suggestion to Epic would be to make a way to easily provide a FAQ or Solutions page for common problems people may have in a game.

Also without some of the usefulness? Like it's great if the dev uses it to provide information. IF. But if the dev pulls Nier: Automata or an issue crops up five years from now, I'm not going to find the solution on the dev-only special Solutions page — I'm going to need a community to point me at a current solution.

And yeah obviously the convenience of having one I know I can find for every game could be replaced by a bunch of ad hoc solutions set up on a case by case basis but I don't see how that isn't strictly worse than the current situation.

jasius

Oct 28, 2017
Won't be getting my credit card info, had so many account tampering warnings from Epic when Fartnite was in early beta, having this account also associated with that game, is too tempting for thieves. Just to make it clear, during the early days of Fartnight, when it was nearly nothing, compared to now. It's only going to get worse.

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
And they also....aren't monopolies, by basically any commonly accepted definition of the word "monopoly". Indeed it isn't clear how Walmart and Amazon could possibly both be monopolies considering they're in direct competition with one another.

You should maybe read more on those companies. I know this is gaming-side, so it skews a lot more conservative than OT, but there are huge calls to break up companies like Amazon and Walmart as trusts (or nationalize them as public utilities, like electric companies).

Seriously, read up on that. I'm not saying Steam is on that level, but token competition doesn't stop something from drawing govt action as a monopoly.

Also, I strongly disagree that the two are direct competitors. "Can order things from a website" isn't similar enough or you're saying a whole lot of companies are direct competitors.

Well, considering that this year alone, we've seen Twitch, Kongregate and Discord all launch PC game distribution platforms, I can't imagine there isn't a lack of competition.

(Although, admittedly Twitch did also close said PC game distribution platform, however, they also forgot to make a store so I'm not sure what they were expecting?)

For sure, these exist. Are they doing well? That's all you need as evidence. You need to be able to say "it is reasonably possible to compete with Steam and gain sizable market share." I legit don't know if that's true or not. Epic certainly isn't the example to look to because their effort is so shit.

??? Steam sales have stayed the same for about as long as I can remember, the only difference is that the rest of the industry has caught up with them.

Are they? I feel like they were so much better years ago. I haven't felt like I was robbing somebody in awhile, and that's what old Steam sales felt like lol. The discounts just don't hit as low to me as they used to.

Screen Looker

Nov 17, 2018
Also without some of the usefulness? Like it's great if the dev uses it to provide information. IF. But if the dev pulls Nier: Automata or an issue crops up five years from now, I'm not going to find the solution on the dev-only special Solutions page — I'm going to need a community to point me at a current solution.

And yeah obviously the convenience of having one I know I can find for every game could be replaced by a bunch of ad hoc solutions set up on a case by case basis but I don't see how that isn't strictly worse than the current situation.

Great discussion.

Two people have mentioned it and I think it is a good point I had not considered: "What do you do if a developer/publisher abandons a game after release?"

To me, the answer to this is twofold. I, 100% agree, that it is better in that particular situation to have a forum attached to a Store page where you buy the game to go and find something you are looking to resolve.

On the other hand, you are thinking about it as it relates to how you are used to it today. A game starting on Epic, which all would be, would have the opportunity to showcase their community alternatives. Building communities are far more important than it ever was before. Everyone wants to build one and they all live online. In fact, this is a part of why so many are dissatisfied with their inability to control the curation around their communities on Steam.

In many ways, you already see this reality due to developers dissatisfaction with the state of Steam forums. I suspect you would have a Discord community around a game (as many games do today even prior to release). My suggestion is you would have the Solutions page I was thinking about right on the Epic store. I suspect you would also have YouTube, Reddit, ResetEra, and other avenues of learning about the game and particular issues with the game that people may see. Developers are active across the internet in a way they never have been before. It's not a one-stop shop effort for community these days.

My question to you: For developers that release games across stores, is it better to have to sit in multiple forums as people report issues or is it better to let those systems create tickets for you to address issues while you foster the community for the game in a publicly accessible space regardless of where they purchased the game?

Screen Looker

Nov 17, 2018
Seeing less consumer rights being passed down as a benefit to the consumer is the sort of thing that makes me think resetera got hacked and is redirecting to reddit The_Donald.

I am yet to see how less transparency on what consumers think of a product, less possibility to refund a product that does not satisfy the consumer (assuming it even works), and generally less communication between developers and its user base is a boon for consumer, all so devs that generally are already very successful get to make even more money.

• They should clarify/fix the refund policy to be more lenient.
  • How many issues do you have finding how people feel about movies, tv shows, or basically anything else in life?
    • Here is a suggestion that acquiesces to the idea of what people think: Place Metacritic/OpenCritic critic and user (for small games sites don't pick up) review %s next to games on the storefront page as a click-through to those sites.
  • How many developers that care about their community have issues speaking to them publicly?
    • If you have an issue with developer communication, a forum on a storefront page does not solve the problem in the first place. It's just people talking about the problem they have with communicating with the developers. lol

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, sorry. See, I actually look at those forums. So I know what they are like. No gas lighting me. The examples I give are things I have seen.

And, yeah, YouTube is a deep abyss of awful. Most store fronts do not require developers to link to YouTube, though. Steam requires the community boards.

You clearly think gaslighting is "This thing disproves my argument". Here, I'll provide a definition for you:

Gaslighting is a form of psychological manipulation that seeks to sow seeds of doubt in a targeted individual or in members of a targeted group, making them question their own memory, perception, and sanity

I look at those forums too. I've posted answers in them. I've asked questions in them. You telling me "Nah, what you've experienced is wrong. They're not variable, they're toxic" is gaslighting. Yes, there is certainly toxicity in them. As there is on Reddit, where Epic are saying devs should go to interact with players. But neither place is fully toxic, and you saying they are is literally just you ignoring facts.

TraumaHunter

Apr 17, 2018

This exists for Hades in the Epic Store. If you go to the store page there is an FAQ tab at the top that then links to a new page. It's up to Dev's to fill it out with whatever they want/update however they want though.

Ashen for example doesn't take advantage of these options.

Falcon511

Oct 27, 2017
Epic has a long long ways to go before they are equal to Steam. The only thing I will use their launcher for in the mean time is Fortnite. Most games I will buy through Steam. I do think the store should be around but Epic needs to make improvements. Especially refunds as I have used them on many occasions through Steam.

It may be a few years off, however I think my days of PC gaming are coming to an end as I get older.

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
Last edited:

c0Zm1c

Oct 25, 2017
The toxic message boards I refer to are the Steam Community boards, which Epic wisely did not clone for their store.
There's nothing wise about not having message boards, I don't know how you could come to that conclusion. The Steam forums can be very toxic but doing communication through email stifles any community discussion and the sharing of information between users which is not a positive for anyone. It's especially important for early access games.

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
There is a thread on reddit that blew up because an epic games store customer had trouble getting a refund. Customer eventually received it but it wasn't exactly a "no hassle" experience:

https://www.reddit.com/r/pcgaming/comments/a59nlw/epic_games_store_doesnt_want_to_give_me_my_money/
"However, I can assure you that everything we buy is unique in its own way and we only have to give it some time to enjoy and I am sure that by the end of the day you will love it!"

ROFL

great customer service epic

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Had Epic Game Store pinging my CPU for like 90 percent earlier today. It happened right around when I updated my Nvidia drivers so might have been related. Had to reboot to stop it. Just a heads up in case it happens to anyone else (or if anyone is about to update and wants to test if that was indeed the cause).

Benita

Banned
Aug 27, 2018
Can someone explain why the other OP shitting all over the Epic store needed to be injected into this thread?

Will this more balanced assessment be edited into the other thread's OP?

svacina

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can someone explain why the other OP shitting all over the Epic store needed to be injected into this thread?

Because this is not "yaay, Epic" thread, this is "the management is tired of you making 17 different threads fighting about this, keep it in one or fuck off" thread.

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
Because this is not "yaay, Epic" thread, this is "the management is tired of you making 17 different threads fighting about this, keep it in one or fuck off" thread.

Yeah, that. Plus, the modded-in OP is entirely accurate. If it comes across as "shitting all over the Epic store", well, thems the facts - it's hard-hitting but truthful.

Deleted member 10601

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I will not buy anything in the EGS because of violations against GDPR. For example, there is a checkbox you have to check if you do not want any emails from the devs of the bought game. This is opt-out and not allowed. The correct way is to have the checkbox act as opt-in. There are also other stuff in the privacy policy that is not correct.
I contacted Epic Gamaes about this and i hope they will answer. If not i will take it to the appropriate data protection authorities.

Ge0force

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Belgium
I'll take a look at Epic's store as soon as they stop moneyhatting popular 3rd party devs and publishers for store exclusivity. I don't want this to become the norm for "competition" in PC gaming, so I won't support it with my money.

Because it's the truth and everyone should know this?

JarrodL

Oct 27, 2017
  • If you have an issue with developer communication, a forum on a storefront page does not solve the problem in the first place. It's just people talking about the problem they have with communicating with the developers. lol
That's just not true. There have been multiple cases throughout the years I've been playing on PC when I was able to quickly find a fix/temporary solution on steam discussion forum for an in-game issue for which there was no official solution yet (a developer was either not aware of it, or it was reported and acknowledged but no solution was provided in time, or at all).

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
  • They should clarify/fix the refund policy to be more lenient.
Let's remember that developers are fully aware of the refund system, and that Epic may get pushback from them for making it more lenient.

How many issues do you have

Like, the ultimate counterpoint here would be, say, the Dark Souls and Nier:Automata Steam Discussion pages which (certainly used to) contain links and instructions for user created mods that fixed a plethora of bugs and incorrectly working features that the pub/dev knew full well were issues and ignored.

Ionic

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Let's remember that developers are fully aware of the refund system, and that Epic may get pushback from them for making it more lenient.

If the initial devs raise a fuss Epic can just pay them more to stick around. Seriously though, do we actually have any statistics from devs on Steam on whether they've found refunds to have been abused? It would be interesting to see some cold numbers on a short but high quality game and whether they see more refunds per user than longer games that sit outside the no questions asked refund playtime window.

Edit:
Like, the ultimate counterpoint here would be, say, the Dark Souls and Nier:Automata Steam Discussion pages which (certainly used to) contain links and instructions for user created mods that fixed a plethora of bugs and incorrectly working features that the pub/dev knew full well were issues and ignored.

This is a good point. More often than not when I have an issue with a game, the problem is solved by the community on the game's forum page rather than by a dev. I remember an instance or two of getting "We're working on a fix" comments from devs with the following post being some rando with the ini tweak needed to solve my problem 4 minutes later.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
If the initial devs raise a fuss Epic can just pay them more to stick around. Seriously though, do we actually have any statistics from devs on Steam on whether they've found refunds to have been abused? It would be interesting to see some cold numbers on a short but high quality game and whether they see more refunds per user than longer games that sit outside the no questions asked refund playtime window.

Edit:

This is a good point. More often than not when I have an issue with a game, the problem is solved by the community on the game's forum page rather than by a dev. I remember an instance or two of getting "We're working on a fix" comments from devs with the following post being some rando with the ini tweak needed to solve my problem 4 minutes later.

there are many devs who've shared their refund stories - in general its not an abused system
https://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/245283/Developers_respond_to_Steams_new_refund_policy.php

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017

Why would it ?
It was injected because the other thread was closed to have all the conversation about the Epic Store in one place.

Nemesis121

Nov 3, 2017
Their installer is pissinf me off, i used to have it install on another drive for Fortnite, regular HDD, i have since moved to all SSD, toss the HDD in the trash, I can't reinstall because it sees the old install(forgot to uninstall was so happy to be all SSD) and tells me invalid path, i went into regedit and removed all instances of Epics installer, and it won't fucking uninstall...That HDD had steam and origin install, windows had no problems deleting the install path for Origin/Steam, Epic needs to fix their shit..

mnemonicj

Oct 27, 2017
Honduras
I don't game on PC, but currently the player base for games is one of the most important aspects I'm interested in online multi-player games.
Considering that another storefront would split the player base, like console games do, is awful.

Benita

Banned
Aug 27, 2018
Yeah, that. Plus, the modded-in OP is entirely accurate. If it comes across as "shitting all over the Epic store", well, thems the facts - it's hard-hitting but truthful.

The OP of this thread is also completely "accurate". Are mods going to start editorialising across all threads now, tempering the OPs intentions?

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
So I read there's no cloud saving with Epic's Store?

I'm guessing they plan on doing a paid membership for that. Subscribe to Epic Gold for access to reviews, cloud saves, discussion board, and one extra refund every three years.

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017

To add to the link that spineduke posted:

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2017/05/prey-developer-go-ahead-use-steam-refunds-to-demo-our-game/
and
https://kotaku.com/steam-developers-secret-to-a-two-percent-refund-rate-h-1826277903

However you slice it, Epic's refunds system is a gigantic leap backwards for PC gamers. :/

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA

You see some people only want to keep track of one thread. They think it's easier that way.

Ah but it's so easy you just click on this new thread you say! Having lots of threads you have to keep track of, some a lot worse than others and with less posts, can just be a big pain in the butt!

shoptroll

May 29, 2018
There's nothing wise about not having message boards, I don't know how you could come to that conclusion. The Steam forums can be very toxic but doing communication through email stifles any community discussion and the sharing of information between users which is not a positive for anyone. It's especially important for early access games.

Devs can still run their own message board. This is likely preferable if you're trying to do Early Access across multiple services since you can consolidate bug reports and not have to disemminate information across multiple platforms.

But that sort of stuff has existed on the internet long before SPUF and the current discussion system existed. Sure it makes it more convenient / easier for people to find but resources like PCGamingWiki, fan sites (remember those?), and reddits serve the same exact purpose.

A lot of the "community" features Steam provides around their store are conveniences for their customers that replace/consolidate services provided by others. I'm not going to argue they're not useful but they're a way to encourage "engagement" and other Web 2.0 metrics which are basically additional ways to lock people into the walled garden and encourage people to not venture outside.

Deleted member 1849

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There is a thread on reddit that blew up because an epic games store customer had trouble getting a refund. Customer eventually received it but it wasn't exactly a "no hassle" experience:

https://www.reddit.com/r/pcgaming/comments/a59nlw/epic_games_store_doesnt_want_to_give_me_my_money/

Experiences like these make me hesitate to heavily invest in this store even though I've only refunded one Steam game in the past. I want to make sure if I need to do a refund the process is easy.
Remember, he only got the refund AFTER that Reddit post blew up. It might not be as easy when you don't have the potential to cause a shitstorm on social media.

jotun?

Oct 28, 2017
You not liking the environment is not a factor. Some of us are old enough to remember when Steam launched and the entire Pc gaming world lost their shit at having to install this 'always running' app to play Counter-strike. Somehow people managed fine, their threats to never use Steam were revealed for the lies that they were and everyone moved on.

What you find comfortable is not a factor for publishers/developers.
Yeah, people didn't like it because they had to keep it running for just one or two games.

Now people like it because it's a single app that can manage all their games in one place, keep them all up to date, and provides a bunch of other features. Nobody wants to go back to needing another app open for just a couple of games.

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
Devs can still run their own message board. This is likely preferable if you're trying to do Early Access across multiple services since you can consolidate bug reports and not have to disemminate information across multiple platforms.

But that sort of stuff has existed on the internet long before SPUF and the current discussion system existed. Sure it makes it more convenient / easier for people to find but resources like PCGamingWiki, fan sites (remember those?), and reddits serve the same exact purpose.

A lot of the "community" features Steam provides around their store are conveniences for their customers that replace/consolidate services provided by others. I'm not going to argue they're not useful but they're a way to encourage "engagement" and other Web 2.0 metrics which are basically additional ways to lock people into the walled garden and encourage people to not venture outside.

For one thing, it's already been noted (in another thread, I think?) how PCGamingWiki actually references Steam Discussions.

For a second thing, yes, it exactly makes it more convenient/easier for the user. No more hunting around multiple websites (with Lord knows how many dodgy ads and tracking cookies) to find a fix. Awesome!

For a third
but they're a way to encourage "engagement" and other Web 2.0 metrics which are basically additional ways to lock people into the walled garden and encourage people to not venture outside.

is kind of ridiculous. Many shops and companies see the value of adding more for the user or consumer. It does, in one way, "lock people into" using that company. But that's literally just business - it's why hotels, for instance, differentiate themselves not just on the look and feel of their rooms, but also on their rewards/loyalty programs, their customer services and room service.

And to argue it's even vaguely a negative is just weird. Broaden out that argument and look at Steam Workshop. Nexus exists, and is perfectly servicable, but Steam Workshop being integrated so deeply with Steam itself only helps customers, by making modding easier to do, and easier to undo. Discussions are just the same - they are a net positive, even with the toxicity that some of them have.

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Have you actually looked at PCgamingwiki? It's not a source of information, it's a compilation of information from other sources many of them being... The Steam forums.

water_wendi

Oct 25, 2017
Just a completely random thought reading this thread.. im kind of surprised that Valve hasnt made an Amazon affiliate link available on the Steam client.

Kareha

Banned
Jun 15, 2018
United Kingdom
Given the stance on tariffs between the US and China, I wonder how Tencents holding in Epic could affect their business if things start to get a bit hairier between the 2 countries?

Screen Looker

Nov 17, 2018

I addressed this in another post, but I'll expound more here in case it's pushed far back.

I'm not saying that the Steam forums serve no utility and I think it's a great point that it is 100% better to have that right next to the game for those kinds of abandonment issues that have been experienced on PC.

My counterpoint was in the absence of community forums on the store, a company should be putting together their own public community outreach platform, solutions guide, and all of the things you all are referring to from user-generated content.

In fact, many have been creating avenues outside of Steam to communicate with their fans in areas they can more actively monitor as opposed to the forums they have no control over. My personal example was Epic's Paragon had a ton of user content outside of their Epic forums and their own YouTube platform and Reddit page they set up as a part of community management to make sure to find people where they are.

This is not to say it's preferable they control everything but if you want to speak to them, I don't think saying "it sucks that guy is recruiting Nazis in your forums but it's only .1% of forums" is fair to say it's something they have to deal with. That's a bad vendor experience for them and something they cannot do anything about, so you have to deal with that in a venue they control and from there, you can still form your own user threads or discord or other online areas to handle the kinds of things you're talking about.

Ultimately, the long term position of PC will be that since you can buy games from Epic, Steam, Gog, etc. having a Steam forum for Steam fans doesn't resolve the idea around community. Each store having their own forum isn't the best way to approach community if I were a community manager. That's an exponential number of forums to monitor in addition to the wider internet.

Personally, if I were Epic I would make it a requirement in the registration process for games to have a community forum center. Even if it's a Reddit or Discord style setup, I don't think it's a too high hurdle to climb to tell developers, we provide everything you need to work on issues and show customers how to resolve them, but they have to have a way to communicate with you about patches and you need to outline your approach to development outreach during this catered phase to set a standard.

On the other side of it, you're referring to User-Generated content. I think it's great people do all of that. Again, as this process of store proliferation happens, The idea is that Steam would NOT be the place to go to buy everything. Neither would Epic so you need to have a community nucleus for customers.

If you're an Epic user that bought Hades, going to Steam forums would not be your norm because those don't exist today.

You would go to wherever that community congregates online. By the time Hades hits Steam, that place will have the history people are looking for. So now you get those community things outside of Steam so going to the forums about the game wouldn't be that same second nature it is today.

Does this make sense or do I just sound like I'm talking out of my ass? Lol

Patapuf

Oct 26, 2017
I addressed this in another post, but I'll expound more here in case it's pushed far back.

I'm not saying that the Steam forums serve no utility and I think it's a great point that it is 100% better to have that right next to the game for those kinds of abandonment issues that have been experienced on PC.

My counterpoint was in the absence of community forums on the store, a company should be putting together their own public community outreach platform, solutions guide, and all of the things you all are referring to from user-generated content.

In fact, many have been creating avenues outside of Steam to communicate with their fans in areas they can more actively monitor as opposed to the forums they have no control over. My personal example was Epic's Paragon had a ton of user content outside of their Epic forums and their own YouTube platform and Reddit page they set up as a part of community management to make sure to find people where they are.

This is not to say it's preferable they control everything but if you want to speak to them, I don't think saying "it sucks that guy is recruiting Nazis in your forums but it's only .1% of forums" is fair to say it's something they have to deal with. That's a bad vendor experience for them and something they cannot do anything about, so you have to deal with that in a venue they control and from there, you can still form your own user threads or discord or other online areas to handle the kinds of things you're talking about.

Ultimately, the long term position of PC will be that since you can buy games from Epic, Steam, Gog, etc. having a Steam forum for Steam fans doesn't resolve the idea around community. Each store having their own forum isn't the best way to approach community if I were a community manager. That's an exponential number of forums to monitor in addition to the wider internet.

Personally, if I were Epic I would make it a requirement in the registration process for games to have a community forum center. Even if it's a Reddit or Discord style setup, I don't think it's a too high hurdle to climb to tell developers, we provide everything you need to work on issues and show customers how to resolve them, but they have to have a way to communicate with you about patches and you need to outline your approach to development outreach during this catered phase to set a standard.

On the other side of it, you're referring to User-Generated content. I think it's great people do all of that. Again, as this process of store proliferation happens, The idea is that Steam would NOT be the place to go to buy everything. Neither would Epic so you need to have a community nucleus for customers.

If you're an Epic user that bought Hades, going to Steam forums would not be your norm because those don't exist today.

You would go to wherever that community congregates online. By the time Hades hits Steam, that place will have the history people are looking for. So now you get those community things outside of Steam so going to the forums about the game wouldn't be that same second nature it is today.

History has shown that relying on companies to do long term support (in this case: setting up good forums) is a bad idea. Many companies do not bother and some even actively supress any negative feedback even when it's important.

Also: many smaller companies do not actually have rescources to manage such a community. This is of course also an issue on steam where devs are expected to moderate their own forums. But a dev that doesn't have the rescources to manage their steam forum won't have the resources to manage a community they 100% have to maintain themselves. Not only the posts but also setting it up.

And lastly, the devs organising community efforts themselves doesn't actually protect them from unwanted attention. Assholes will use the channels they have. Be that on steam, reddit (lol @reddit being a safe haven), discord or wherever else. They will still have to ban bad actors manually if they engage the community at all.

Basically: not having your community on steam doesn't give you any advantages beyond not being on steam. It's not something that helps devs and it doesn't help customers. It helps.... forum hosters?

Last edited:

Digoman

Oct 27, 2017

I understand the point you are making, but I disagree because in the end, even with the current fragmentation, we have way more developers than stores. As a consumer, if I have some question/problem about a game, it's easier to just check the forum on the store that I bought it from. I do this all the time both on Steam and GOG. The alternative is to google the developer to see if it has a forum or community somewhere. Sometimes they do. But it can also be on the publishers site. Nowdays it's often on reddit or discord, but are we sure the one we got is the official one? And if all of this is to avoid the 1% of bad posts, reddit and discord are the last place you want to go. Also, it can mean one more login to create and manage.

Is it doable? Of course. After all, there was a time that it was the only option. But it's less convenient. And Steam's popularity comes exactly from offering convenience over things we could already do (as long the PC platform remains open). First it was just a way to easily install and keep your games updated and to find people to play online games. Then to have good regional prices, find discussions, communities, guides, and so on.

I personally prefer and find it easier the way things are like now, then to go back to have to depend on finding specific sites for each game. Specially for smaller developers that usually don't have the infrastructure to have a good support system.

None of this means that Steam (and is forums) don't have issues, or the road to get here wasn't bumpy, but I can't really see this even more fragmented solution being better.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Also: many smaller companies do not actually have rescources to manage such a community. This is of course also an issue on steam where devs are expected to moderate their own forums. But a dev that doesn't have the rescources to manage their steam forum won't have the resources to manage a community they 100% have to maintain themselves. Not only the posts but also setting it up.
Slight correction, it's still a recent thing but https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2018/09/20/valve-will-start-moderating-steam-game-forums/

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
I see no point in abusing the refund system. If your plan is to play the game without paying, for normal games the available time period is not enough to get more than a small slice of gameplay, for short games going through the whole process of buying, paying, refunding and waiting for the money to get deposited seems way more complicated than just pirating it. I think the 'potential for abuse' is just a convenient boogeyman and not a realistic danger.

Engaget: The Epic Games Store is the best thing that could happen to Steam

SweetNicole

The Old Guard
Oct 24, 2017
https://www.engadget.com/2018/12/13/epic-games-store-steam-competition/

This article has quotes from Team Meat cofounder, Tommy Refenes.

Somewhere during the past decade, Steam became complacent. As an essential monopoly, that meant the PC gaming market stagnated according to Steam's whims. It's why developers ended up expecting a 70/30 revenue split from every digital distributor, including the App Store and Google Play, for years. It's why independent developers have banked entire careers on a Steam launch, even as the platform's continued growth has made this strategy increasingly unpredictable and unsustainable. It's why Steam has faced a growing wall of criticism over its moderation policies and community features, especially in the past year.

Before it could properly innovate, Steam needed competition. And now, with the launch of the Epic Games store, it has exactly that.
It's already working -- in an announcement suspiciously timed to go live three days before Epic revealed its store, Steam rolled out a new revenue-sharing program, though it only benefits the top tier of game creators. If a game makes more than $10 million, developers get to take home 75 percent of future revenue. Bring in over $50 million, and developers get 80 percent of subsequent earnings.
But, with billions behind it, the Epic Games store represents the first real competition for Steam in more than a decade, and that means PC gaming is about to change in a major way.

"Competition is good, but the PC market has no competition. There is only Steam," Refenes said. "But what happens when the Epic Games store gets its footing and grows into a PC marketplace powerhouse? What would that force Steam to do? It would force them to improve. Then that would, in turn, force Epic to improve, and then you have two large companies fighting to retain customers and developers. That's going to motivate innovation. That is a healthy marketplace, and that is good for everyone."