• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

zoltek

Oct 25, 2017
I figure any progress is a good thing. Better baby steps forward than stagnation.

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
That's a strong ass update, lot of good stuff in there

I wonder why they held it all for August, though? Was some of this stuff done beforehand and they just held it for end of summer?

Danzflor

Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (1 Week): Trolling, History of Antagonizing Other Users

IHaveIce

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
User Warned: Drive by trolling, Generalizations
Good updates.

The asskissing for steam on this board is sickening.

EliVilla

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Folks is Pre loading not a thing on egs? I pre ordered Control but I wasn't sure if it was because it's not ready or if it's just not possible. I know borderlands isn't right?

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if this means we'll get a Humble Epic Store Bundle at some point. Humble Store is a bit pointless because Epic Store games are exempt from the discount you get for having Monthly.

SirBaron

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I noticed yesterday that you no longer need to start a download all over again if you quit the launcher. Good!

If they add playtime counters are they going to have to add one for Fortnite? I bet they don't want to do that.

I wish PC Gamepass did that, I ahve to dig into windows store to see if a game has paused downloading or just plain vanished if I reset my PC.

tuxfool

Oct 25, 2017
But I thought Epic Games Store was literally Satan and there was no way of improving it!? What is this madness?

Good on Epic.
What?

People are angry precisely because there are plenty of ways to improve it. It shouldn't have launched in the state it was.
I'm just having fun with the plethora of actual, real comments people make about a harmless game launcher.
I'd like sources for the people that have said this, given a "plethora" they should be easy to find. Otherwise it's just another run of the mill epic thread strawman nonsense.

Last edited:

GhostBanana

Mar 18, 2019
Hamburg
I wish PC Gamepass did that, I ahve to dig into windows store to see if a game has paused downloading or just plain vanished if I reset my PC.
You mean if you hard restart? Do you use the PC Xbox application? If you pause a PC Gamepass download and close the app and shut down your comptuer the download is still there when you started it back up. I did this this morning for Forza.

ramoisdead

Oct 25, 2017
Good updates.

The asskissing for steam on this board is sickening.

I mean, good that Epic updated the store but asskissing for Steam?? Other launchers on PC had these features and more presently. Even Nintendo of all companies has some features Epic didn't get but just now for their console.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
They are legit. But fun fact is that Epic exclusive games give less to charity than games released on Steam but that is still better than Battle.net games sold on Humble Store that give 0% to charity.
I'm curious to know if Epic are taking a percentage (perhaps their usual 12%) from these sales, and what if any restrictions they are putting on retailers stocking Epic games.

We know that Valve don't charge anything, and have a broadly laissez faire approach to how developers or publishers can use Steam keys, but we don't know much about how Epic do things. All we know from Epic is that there seems to be some restrictions on discounts etc, far fewer retailers stock Epic store codes, and it looks to me more like retailers deal directly with Epic rather than on Steam where Valve are more hands off.

Is there much of a point for other stores to do keys? Wouldn't devs get a smaller cut by selling anywhere else?

I'm guessing that the reason that a huge number of other stores exist is because they offer some kind of value to customers and developers/publishers.

Just look at the list of stores that Ubisoft have worked with

A lot of them have a focus on a specific region.

It seems that currently Epic is not supporting any kind of wide range of stores. This stuff they are doing with Humble is good, but it would be beneficial all round if they had a way of supporting a larger number of stores. I'd be interested in any solution that either made their keyless implementation relatively open to other retailers, or one that allowed for free flow of keys similar to what Steam offers. Or both.

Last edited:

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
That's a strong ass update, lot of good stuff in there

I wonder why they held it all for August, though? Was some of this stuff done beforehand and they just held it for end of summer?
They basically listed all the things they did during the summer since the last report (and not all of them are actually 100% functional as they are in beta state).

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
I hope someday they'll add download speed limit, since I started playing Fortnite PvE 2 years ago, the launcher literally suck all my connection speed and I can't do anything else.
No fiber so it takes ages as well.

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Am I the only one who doesn't understand why preloading is important? For me it's like RGB lighting. I don't get it.
Yes, yes you are.

Edit: even if it's useless to reply to such a post in a serious manner - here we go:

Customer side: preloading helps a lot if you have a slow internet bandwith or data caps
Developer side: you can push small incremental updates until the very last second
Platform side: it helps to split your required traffic if not all customers want to download the game on the exact same minute / hour or day which can easily cause your whole network to come crashing down or lower the overall bandwith that is accessable for each user (aka "slow downloads")

Last edited:

tuxfool

Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (1 Day): Hostility, History of Personal Attacks
Am I the only one who doesn't understand why preloading is important? For me it's like RGB lighting. I don't get it.
"Hi, I'm a spoiled buffoon who can't empathise with those less fortunate than me"

It really isn't some brand new feature.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
They had it for steam years ago. I didn't mind it, made it quicker.

Everyone else hated it because you couldn't get the key to give away or trade or sell.

So they stopped it really quickly.
Well no they didn't actually. Humble had to stop using that system because it relied on OAuth, and OAuth had a couple CVEs come out for it so Valve gutted their entire system to an in house system.

So Humble couldn't use the system anymore.

closer

Oct 25, 2017

for ppl with slower dl speeds and data caps, sometimes it helps them plan around.

I've heard ppl talk about strain on servers as well, but afaik most corporation would be using cloud servers that shift depending on demand
someone mentioned to me in a separate thread that the load for dling BL3 on release day wouldn't even compare to the load from just releasing a Fortnite patch

Chixdiggit

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Couple steps forward but a giant step back with the Humble Bundle Keyless "feature". Unless of course they let you choose to get a key which I highly doubt.

unknownspectator

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
That is just an excuse for someone who wants a fight to begin with, man.

I get it, but it didn't even make it half a page before people had knives out, and this is a thread about software updates.

I think it would help if moderators where way more strict with this. EGS has been a hot topic for a while and it's gonna stay like that for the foreseeable future. I mean I see tons of trolling against people with legit concerns, even with some "just another launcher" stuff in this topic alone.

Setsune

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Hoping the "keyless" feature still lets you generate gift links, otherwise that's going to lead to bundles with wasted duplicates.

closer

Oct 25, 2017
I'm curious to know if Epic are taking a percentage (perhaps their usual 12%) from these sales, and what if any restrictions they are putting on retailers stocking Epic games.

We know that Valve don't charge anything, and have a broadly laissez faire approach to how developers or publishers can use Steam keys, but we don't know much about how Epic do things. All we know from Epic is that there seems to be some restrictions on discounts etc, far fewer retailers stock Epic store codes, and it looks to me more like retailers deal directly with Epic rather than on Steam where Valve are more hands off.

I imagine they have a particular contract with Humble that's separate from their typical contract, when I see the threads for their weekly free games I usually see someone mention that they were previously available in bundles or humble monthlies. but that's just conjecture ofc

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I don't doubt that EGS will eventually become ~competitive with its featureset, but I expect it to take time. It's been six months and this is where we're at.
The user/customer experience has hardly been a priority to Epic.

I don't expect my primary issue of increased pricing to ever disappear.
Borderlands 3 was effectively dropped down to normal Steam key range when it was 20% off on GMG that one time.
I assume that was GMG taking a sizable loss and don't reckon that will be particularly common. Ditto for Epic's sale, which may have been a singular occurrence for all I know.