• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
May 17, 2018
Epic posted an update on new features coming to the store. As it's probably the hottest debate going on right now, I thought it was worthy of a post. Not the most exciting update, and, still doesn't seem to address some of the more wanted features, but, better than nothing I guess.

Cloud saves for (some) games.

Why not cloud save ALL the games?

We're working with the developers of other released games to test cloud saves, and will be enabling more games over time. Upcoming games that support Cloud Saves will have them enabled at launch!

Humble Bundle Integration

Today we are launching keyless integration with Humble Bundle and Humble Store. You can link your Epic Games account to your Humble account, enabling you to purchase games directly from the Humble store without requiring a redemption key. You can enable this feature by logging into your Humble account, going to the "Settings" option and linking your Epic Games account.

Refreshed Product Pages

All of our product pages have received a face-lift, meaning you'll see visual and informational improvements to your favorite titles. The new pages offer beefier game descriptions, better release date visibility for upcoming titles, and allow for additional imagery and videos. This is being done to give developers more control over the presentation of their games, and also for customers to make better purchase decisions.

What's next?

• We rolled out For Honor with an improved installation experience, reducing the total time to install and the amount of disk space required. We'll be looking to update our existing Ubisoft titles to use this new tech next.
  • Some of you have already noticed that we've been rolling out new Epic-hosted videos on store pages. This provides the ability for better curation when you're browsing the store, as well as giving more control to developers (i.e. the type of content they show for their games).
  • We're in the final stages of rolling out special patch optimization for developers. The optimization reduces patch download sizes significantly, saving you time when updating games on the Epic Games store and allowing you to hop back into the games you enjoy.
  • For our next steps, we'll be finishing our QA passes and polishing our documentation for our developers as we get it into their hands. For those interested, we'll be writing a technical blog on how this works, so keep an eye out.
  • A new look and design are coming to your game libraries. The first update in this process will include a "list view" which will display more of your game library on screen at once. You will be able to sort, filter and access games in your library quicker and easier. We want to make navigating to the games you want to play seamlessly.
  • Our new playtime tracking feature is also right around the corner! This feature is a critical piece for self-service refunds. This gives you the ability to precisely track playtime on the games you own and that's important because it helps you determine when you're eligible to submit for a refund on new game purchases.

https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/news/august-feature-update

Jamrock User

Jan 24, 2018
Hiding games, moving installs to other drives and and more visibility of what games have cloud saves is all I want.

I'd also love a light theme but whatever.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
The Humble keyless integration is a great idea. I hope they make it open so that retailers other than just humble can use it.

GhostBanana

Mar 18, 2019
Hamburg
I noticed yesterday that you no longer need to start a download all over again if you quit the launcher. Good!

If they add playtime counters are they going to have to add one for Fortnite? I bet they don't want to do that.

Mikebison

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This thread won't get anywhere near the amount of comments as any thread about a niche gaming going exclusive.

BrutalInsane

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
User Banned (5 days): Drive-by post; history of similar infractions
Lil' Timmy gets a pat on the head for trying.

Fuck Epic.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
They had it for steam years ago. I didn't mind it, made it quicker.

Everyone else hated it because you couldn't get the key to give away or trade or sell.

So they stopped it really quickly.
I believe that Valve stopped doing it when there was a security flaw in the method that they were using (I think it was OAuth but I'm not certain), and they never developed an alternative solution.

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
Bit late on the cloud saves. I already lost my World War Z save that I put a lot of time into when I recently upgraded my PC and reinstalled windows. :/

closer

Oct 25, 2017
oh cool I didn't realize epic also had a "demo" style refund policy like steam, that's my fav thing about the steam store

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
This thread won't get anywhere near the amount of comments as any thread about a niche gaming going exclusive.

Of course it wont ?
Why would it ? Do you even make sense ?

Removing a game from elsewhere will cause MORE reactions than a subpar service getting features from 2009 partially implemented. What do you expect people to do ? Congratulate Epic for entering 2009 ?

Paul

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Playtime tracking and actually usable library view are still not in?

Sheesh. At least they are on the way though.

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017
Keyless humble integration is interesting. Side note: is Humble as good of a company as they appear or is there some backdoor shady stuff going on? A company that sells games and gives partial proceeds to charity is just awesome.

Oct 25, 2017
Of course it wont ?
Why would it ? Do you even make sense ?

Removing a game from elsewhere will cause MORE reactions than a subpar service getting features from 2009 partially implemented. What do you expect people to do ? Congratulate Epic for entering 2009 ?

Wait, you don't think a PC storefront having cloud saves for some titles is impressive?

--

Nintendo has more competent features than Epic, and that's saying something.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Glad Cloud Saving is starting to roll out to more games (surprised Satisfactory wasnt one of the titles though)

Not a fan of Humble Keyless Integration. Makes giving away my dupes to friends such a hassle and I was happy when they dropped it years ago.

ramoisdead

Oct 25, 2017
Keyless humble integration is interesting. Side note: is Humble as good of a company as they appear or is there some backdoor shady stuff going on? A company that sells games and gives partial proceeds to charity is just awesome.

Humble is a legit seller. IGN owns them.

And keyless intergration is there for Steam keys as well but I believe what LewieP mentioned earlier made Humble backtrack on it being mandatory to optional.

Who knows if EGS keyless integration will be a mandatory thing when it comes to buying games from the Humble store.

Danzflor

Oct 27, 2017
But I thought Epic Games Store was literally Satan and there was no way of improving it!? What is this madness?

Good on Epic.

Mobyduck

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
Seems good. I don't use the Humble Store much, so that's whatever for me. Having a "list view" will be nice, though.

closer

Oct 25, 2017
Can you elaborate on that?

you can return a game on steam with less than 2 hours played no questions asked, I checked out Epic's policy and you can do the same in a 14 day window, with under 2 hours of gameplay. It's very helpful for people like me who aren't sure how a game will run on their pc, or if they are on the fence and want to see if the game's earlier gameplay clicks with them. They haven't implemented the time played tracker yet, so I don't know how it really works currently, I wonder if they are a bit more lenient on the refund time because of that? don't know since I haven't used EGS like that yet, I just cop the free games currently

but yeah this refund policy is to me one of the shining things about pc gaming currently

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017

They are legit. But fun fact is that Epic exclusive games give less to charity than games released on Steam but that is still better than Battle.net games sold on Humble Store that give 0% to charity.

valinthyne

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Did Humble already offer EGS keys or is this a step towards allowing people whose currency/region is not supported on EGS a chance to pick up games there?

SeanShards

Oct 25, 2017
If they add playtime counters are they going to have to add one for Fortnite? I bet they don't want to do that.

This was exactly my thought, lol. There's going to be a lot of arguments in the home if/when that gets implemented.

So, how long until an Epic game in Humble Monthly? Yeah we've had keys for awhile but this feels like the next step.

Mobyduck

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
Did Humble already offer EGS keys or is this a step towards allowing people whose currency/region is not supported on EGS a chance to pick up games there?
Very curious to know which currencies the Humble Store takes that EGS doesn't. The fact I have to have dollars in my Paypal account to buy from them sucks big time, since they don't take Brazilian Reals.