• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Exactly. And when did they do that? In 2010 when they had basically no competition? Nah. These things literally come because of competition.

I don't want any single platform to "win" (definitely not Epic) but wishing for some of them to fail in a huge trainwreck still sounds stupid to me.
Except valve did and or announced most (all?) those changes before EGS was launched?

To my knowledge steam never reacted to EGS at all...

Valve despite being the "fearful monopoly" invest more on open source stuff and community features than any other company.

Tetris that is (was?) exclusive to EGS used steam Vr for their Vr mode.

If EGS is doing such good competing how come their very exclusives are using the "monopoly tools" free of charge?

Schierke Mori

Oct 28, 2017
Really nothing enticing me to purchase from the store for whatever reason despite some historic lows with the $10 coupon.

I've just been conditioned to redeem the free games, but at this point Gamepass isn't too far off from what Epic is doing, and would rather spend my time on there. Everyone seems to be offering free games or extremely affordable subscription services with quality titles. What Epic is doing now isn't anything special or attention-grabbing.

jakershaker

Oct 28, 2017
I can't even be bothered to click on the free games anymore. Most of them just appear at Humble or cheap later with the added bonus of not using another launcher, a shitty one at that.

But I actually thought that Epic would make a bigger splash than this, it all just went meh. All we got was some drama and bullshit, didn't do anything worthwhile or even tried parity or something new over Steam.

I guess as long as Steam behaves it's not too bad to have a monopoly like situation.

RSTEIN

Nov 13, 2017
I just got back into PC gaming this year and my first experience with the Epic store is grabbing Fallen Order for $15 and then Battlefront 2 for free... so go Epic!

CobaltBlu

Nov 29, 2017
Epic needs to invest in their client if they want growth. Also, free games may be good for me, but I don't think it's good for developers long run.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
I know the history of this (trust me, I know) and I still can't understand why people want this platform to fail so much.
More money goes into developer's pockets and less in Gabe Newell's but YAY STEAM
If you actually paid attention, you wouldn't be asking these questions.
EGS has done irreparable harm to the PC market, which is unlikely to recover - at least not for several years - even if they were to exit from it tomorrow.
If your answer is "well, I don't care about higher prices" or "I don't care about losing all the features of other platforms" then you probably weren't that invested in PC gaming to begin with, or have enough disposable income that none of it affects you.

DeadlyVenom

Apr 3, 2018
Spend millions to give out free games
Spend millions to secure exclusives
Spend millions to subsidize coupons

Get 6% growth in third party spending

Yikes.

Seems they have trained their audience well, to redeem the free games, maybe use the coupons, and then ignore it the rest of the year.

Oct 27, 2017
If you actually paid attention, you wouldn't be asking these questions.
EGS has done irreparable harm to the PC market, which is unlikely to recover - at least not for several years - even if they were to exit from it tomorrow.
If your answer is "well, I don't care about higher prices" or "I don't care about losing all the features of other platforms" then you probably weren't that invested in PC gaming to begin with, or have enough disposable income that none of it affects you.
When I started using Steam in, like, 2003, today's features weren't ALL there, you know.

I do care about higher prices, for sure, but I don't think competition is likely to bring higher prices. Considering the number of AA and AAA games I got on EGS this year only, I'd say my average gaming fees have gone down, not up, since EGS arrived.

I think they've done some shitty decisions, for sure, and bringing exclusivity to PC gaming isn't good per se, but I'm willing to give them a couple of years still to adjust to market without wishing them to die at the hands of Steam.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
Spend millions to give out free games
Spend millions to secure exclusives
Spend millions to subsidize coupons

Get 6% growth in third party spending

Yikes.

Seems they have trained their audience well, to redeem the free games, maybe use the coupons, and then ignore it the rest of the year.
The store literally started out in 2019 by saying sales are bad, because they diminish perceived value (while giving away freebies)... before holding a massive sale a few months later.

I think I spent one AAA-worth on a bunch of Ubi games (like half dozen) during the summer sale. At some point I'll install the launcher just to add them to my Uplay library, I guess.

Epic just isn't getting the games I'm interested in right now, so I didn't even want to buy anything during the Winter sale.

Though I guess I do now own GTA V cuz of them.

If Microsoft didn't buy Bethesda, maybe I'd have ended up owning Skyrim someday, too.

Overall, though, those are pretty terrible numbers. But apparently some parts of the world get much better regional deals compared to Steam, so good on Epic for letting those gamers play more games, I guess.

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
This is just from today. How is this an issue?

When I started using Steam in, like, 2003, today's features weren't ALL there, you know.

I do care about higher prices, for sure, but I don't think competition is likely to bring higher prices. Considering the number of AA and AAA games I got on EGS this year only, I'd say my average gaming fees have gone down, not up, since EGS arrived.

I think they've done some shitty decisions, for sure, and bringing exclusivity to PC gaming isn't good per se, but I'm willing to give them a couple of years still to adjust to market without wishing them to die at the hands of Steam.
so you are fine paying more while accepting the above because there might be "competition" in a couple of years ?
You do know that EGS hasn't even bothered to add a shopping cart in 2 years...
EGS doesn't even allow for cd keys sites to exist...

How about this:
We don't deal with EGS until it offers competition with steam; Because right now all it offers is a worse service for more money.

Madjoki

Oct 25, 2017

Well for one, it's not 2003 anymore and Steam didn't even have third party games (new AAA games) until much later, like with Modern Warfare 2 in 2009 being one of first (if not the first) to require Steam. (when it had more "features").

I mean you surely wouldn't buy phone/tv from 2003 today, would you?

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
It is mostly the US market - where they are taking a loss - which has maybe seen lower prices.
A lot of this has been due to Epic eating $10 on every purchase via discount coupons as a temporary measure to encourage people to buy non-exclusive games on their store instead of Steam, in the hopes of building up a large enough library to switch.
One way EGS has been good though, is that some regions have now gained lower regional pricing, when they were previously not covered by Steam.

Exclusivity deals and the lack of key trading/reselling naturally drives prices higher for the PC market.
This did not happen even when a game was only sold on Steam (but not "exclusive" to it) because Valve encouraged developers to hand out keys to resellers - so competition on pricing was thriving even though the final key redemption ended up on Steam no matter where you bought it.

EGS has encouraged many companies to leave Steam or remove key redemption from their own platforms.
And their DRM prevents other applications from launching their games, so I can't even inject things like Steam Input into them, like I can with games on other platforms.

PC gaming has become considerably more expensive in large parts of the world due to their actions.
Games are often priced ~$20 USD higher for me now.

Epic has not brought the kind of competition that benefits consumers. They have been eating losses and engaging in monopolistic practices - more than anything Valve have done - to try and gain control of the market.
Sure, we got some free games from it, but that in itself could be argued to be a bad thing - especially for indie developers - by changing consumers' buying habits and perception of value.
My own spending on PC games is way down ever since Epic joined the market.

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Who does the stats on that?

Superdata listed the "premium" PC market (thats AAA+AA+A game purchases) in 2019 with $5.2B vs $6.6B in 2018. The numbers for 2020 are pre-corona predictions.
More on venturebeat:
superdata.jpg

For "some reason" the revenue from buying PC games took a hard dive in 2019 while the revenue continued to grow on consoles.

Dunno if there's a survey or stat about the piracy part.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
so you are fine paying more while accepting the above because there might be "competition" in a couple of years ?
You do know that EGS hasn't even bothered to add a shopping cart in 2 years...
EGS doesn't even allow for cd keys sites to exist...

How about this:
We don't deal with EGS until it offers competition with steam; Because right now all it offers is a worse service for more money.
More money? Well, I bought a couple of really great games (Disco Elysium, Control, Siege, Death Stranding) for 20-30 dollars less each than they were anywhere else, all because Epic gave me coupons, so I dunno how I spent more money for a worse service...

All those games work fine, too.

And... no shopping cart?!?!?!? What a nightmare

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
User Thread Banned - Trolling
That you believe that Valve simply rested on their laurels for years before EGS came along, despite assuredly having been corrected about that before, says things to me
Tell me what it says to you.

This thread has just become another toxic EGS thread where there's absolutely no other valid opinion apart from "EGS MUST DIE".

zashga

Losing is fun
Oct 28, 2017
EGS has never really appealed to me, and it still seems to be operating with weird loss leader strategies instead of making a competitive, full-featured platform, so it's not surprising to see its revenue is flat.

At the same time, I can't really begrudge players or indie studios availing themselves of free games and sales guarantees.

XR.

Nov 22, 2018
Exactly. And when did they do that? In 2010 when they had basically no competition? Nah. These things literally come because of competition.

I don't want any single platform to "win" (definitely not Epic) but wishing for some of them to fail in a huge trainwreck still sounds stupid to me.
If nothing else, I'd wish for EGS to completely vanish just so I'd never have to deal with this store wars nonsense again. Otherwise it's just a store you can easily ignore.

But the thing is, no one ever uttered the words "monopoly! competition!" before all of this - back then you already could purchase games across Steam, Green Man Gaming, cd-key retailers, Origin, GOG or whatever. No one gave damn, but as soon as Epic entered the fray, it's suddenly so incredibly vital they get a piece of the pie and we all have to embrace it because of completely made up reasons, such as competition or monopoly.

Steam hasn't even responded to their "competition" in any tangible manner. The 25% cut was planned and revealed prior to all of this. The Steam client has always been getting updates and new features, so nothing has really changed on that front. What is there that you actually could attribute to "competition"?

Last edited:

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal

You're not making any sense, buddy.
Your comment above underlined that you would be fine paying 60-70€ for less features because of your nebulous concept of competition.

More money? Well, I bought a couple of really great games (Disco Elysium, Control, Siege, Death Stranding) for 20-30 dollars less each than they were anywhere else, all because Epic gave me coupons, so I dunno how I spent more money for a worse service...
/sigh

I'll start with:

how about including the time to set up all steam features that might not work because of EGS or you know having to use steam with EGS;
What do you even use to substitute steam controller features when steam controller doesn't work?
AM I supposed to pay someone to set up those features for my desktop? or waste dozens if not 100s of hours to find acceptable alternatives to steam 's features?

And end with:

why is the competition with EGS keys worse for us as a costumer despite you saying EGS is competing? If you don't understand me you can just check borderlands 3 steam key prices VS borderlands 3 EGS price on sites like gamebillet.
EGS keys usually will be equal price than their steam counterparts, despite not offering the same experience. if EGS is competing with steam how come it doesn't offer cheaper prices?

The fact is the coupon you use is a small exception that is only used for now. THat coupon only exists for now and only during major sales. In steam platform there are so many stores fighting for costumers money that most games are always on good sales more often than not.

I am putting you on ignore list because you are "defending" a platform that:
  • is million USD valued company
  • prefers to harm costumers for every bit of profit
  • doesn't push the industry forward
  • can't follow their own roadmap
  • is trying to become a monopoly by actively harming the other platforms
  • can't be bothered to create a shopping cart
  • Can't be arsed to talk with devs before discounting their games.
instead of defending costumers right/experience.

you,imo, seem to be pretending to care about steam monopoly because on this very site you never seemed to mention any other older and better competitors to steam such as GoG, uplay and origin. Apparently according to you only EGS is competition to steam and all other stores/platforms don't exist.

you do you but IMO you are the one being toxic by actively harming a comunity because you want some free games instead of good experiences for other people.

DeadlyVenom

Apr 3, 2018
I remember when people weren't thrilled with uPlay and Origin and such. Problem is, those stores didn't think to frame their existence as a rebellion against THE MAN and they were taking the FIGHT to the BIG MONOPOLY and looking to break down the STEAM TAX. You gotta have a loud mouth CEO on Twitter to get your store to become some broken symbol of the free market or something.

jetsetrez

Oct 27, 2017
I don't really understand how their deals work. Like they say they're paying developers for the free games people claim, but are they paying the same amount the dev would make on an actual sale, or are they just paying a lump sum, or what? Because even if they were paying say half of what the dev makes on a retail sale, that would still be in the double digits billions of dollars. There's no way they've spent that much, is there? I'd love to know what their actual deals are with devs for this stuff.

vhoanox

Oct 25, 2017
Vietnam
Although it's not technically free but PC Gamepass is more attractive to me. For $1 I could play Dragon Quest XIS and a lot of new games right now.
Both still have very bad client compare to Steam.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Only a third of spending is on third parties and the client's functionality is still stuck a decade ago. But YOY spend on third parties is up by 5% so good on them I suppose.
y9NyKEK.gif

Last edited:

Good4Squat

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Some of their sales are pretty insane when you apply the coupon, so I have bought quite a few games from there this year. My only real problem with the service is that it is a bit slow to boot up, I don't care about achievements or a shopping cart. It does suck that people aren't getting a choice to choose another platform for some of these games, but for the developers it must be a sweet deal getting all that money so I can't really blame them.

Eternia

Oct 25, 2017

This thread has just become another toxic EGS thread where there's absolutely no other valid opinion apart from "EGS MUST DIE".
The store is now entering its third year. The consumer experience has barely improved and will not scale as it grows with the lack of discovery/social tools. Things are already getting buried and it will only get worse. Features introduced are half-baked and at times, bizarrely implemented. The developer experience is still muddy. Epic has failed to attract a significant audience that's willing to actually buy things. The backend is a question mark considering past remarks on how difficult adding games was (continues to be?), inability to exclude games from promotions, and floodgates that have yet to be opened after claiming they would be by the end of the first year. Their CEO has even outed themselves to be a complete ass. It feels like they had no plan at all other than toss money around haphazardly.

What is even EGS' most notable contribution at this point? Specific regional pricing? Sure. Being a charity? Probably. Certainly not innovation or cleverly built features. So the thing they're most known for will disappear as soon as they're successful enough (or fail) because businesses don't like being a charity for long. Wow, what a loss that would be.

Last edited:

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
I'm glad their strategy with exclusives didn't worked, at least now they are funding games.

Zips

Oct 25, 2017
That stagnant YoY growth is pretty bad, especially when such a massive portion of sales seems to still come from Fortnite (and partially Rocket League for at least part of the year).

Bonfires Down

Nov 2, 2017
I don't really understand how their deals work. Like they say they're paying developers for the free games people claim, but are they paying the same amount the dev would make on an actual sale, or are they just paying a lump sum, or what? Because even if they were paying say half of what the dev makes on a retail sale, that would still be in the double digits billions of dollars. There's no way they've spent that much, is there? I'd love to know what their actual deals are with devs for this stuff.
I'm pretty sure it's a lump sum for most if not all of the games. I don't think we have any actual data, but even $1 million would be a hefty sum for a low profile game like Dandara that has 380 Steam reviews. Some games like GTA and Total War will obviously cost a lot, but in total I don't believe Epic pays nearly as much as some seem to think.

Kerwop

Dec 15, 2017

When you enter the thread and immediately attempt to mischaracterize people's opinion with a sarcastic "Yay Steam!" then are you really one to talk? What sort of great discussion were you hoping to find with that?

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I know the history of this (trust me, I know) and I still can't understand why people want this platform to fail so much.

More money goes into developer's pockets and less in Gabe Newell's but YAY STEAM

Your subsequent posts actually indicates you know nothing, lol.

People just want them to drop their exclusivity practice and compete by improving their platform.

Honestly not hard to understand.

Last edited:

Deleted member 22002

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
What hits me is just how right was Valve to not even acknowledge the Epic Store.

I remember when pundits were basically claiming Steam's death, and I too believed it was doomed after EGS started nailing serious AAA exclusives.

Steam focusing on the wacky VR market or refining Proton for linux users seemed complete and utter denial. Turns out no amounts of handouts are enough to encourage people to invest in what they perceive as a lower quality service. Newell was right once again that service triumphs it all, and considering Steam was able to outcompete bittorrent's offer of every-game-for-free-today just by being a decent and rewarding experience... I guess it was written on the wall.

I still think EGS can turn the tide by a doing a complete overhaul, but after a year without a shopping cart... we'll see. At least I hope this is a lesson for when (if) they are allowed to open they app store competitor.

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017

I don't see a large amount of people "want this platform to fail", nor do I see any sizeable amount of people against developers receiving more revenue - though it seems this is the regular argument from the group talking about "Gabe's pockets"

It seems to simply be lots of people prefer Steam's offering as customers, and their service is the one that is actually demonstrably building out the services and utility such that games have greater value over time if bought there and if you are interested in the feature sets, compatibility, reliability, ecosystem etc etc. Others don't like the strong arm tactic that comes with exclusivity Epic is working through, or that they are not iterating / supporting customers as Steam is doing year on year etc.

Myself, (and I presume most others) would have no problem buying on EGS if and when it actually competes with Steam in all the ways I mentioned above; demonstrating some reliability for a time, developing trust in the perpetuity of the service, enhancements that bring value to what you buy, improve the experience, support etc particularly if you are keen on more than just playing (or struggling to play) the game and throwing it away. Equally if the way Epic operated was in line with what seemingly lots of PC gamers prefer, they would likely be more amiable towards EGS. Plenty of other PC ecosystems have and do exist and are well supported thanks to the regular iteration and progress they make.

Services should fail if customers don't deem it worthwhile to buy into. Clearly that isn't the case with EGS as there are customers going to EGS, but equally it shows lots of others are keen to prioritise Steam or stick with it and other services only thanks to the great effort they put in and the service they provide.

In the end, I'm not a developer/publisher. While I want them to have every success and as much profit to support their great games, I'm a customer and I want to be able to keep my games and utilise them with a service provider and ecosystem that gives me the most value out of that purchase. While I use lots of other vendors, right now the most value is monumentally from Steam right now for me.
And EGS somehow shows even LESS viability than in previous years. It's not giving me much trust in them, so I have no reason to buy there for now

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
Not looking forward to the gravy train of free games ending, but they'll absolutely be winding that back.

Not necessarily, considering maybe double the amount were given out this year (of higher value overall too). Exclusive games have seemingly greatly reduced, and imo that is a good thing, as restricting availability of third party games and competition from other services isn't very compelling to me on PC.
If EGS is instead focused on improving its service to be competitive with Steam, it might go somewhere when it adds content

Oct 25, 2017
Tampa
Okay, so the inherent flaw of the EGS is that it doesn't really have a personality outside of revshare and free games where you look at GOG and they have things that make them stand out from any other store.

oofouchugh

Oct 29, 2017
Night City
The software is still garbage but I'm definitely grabbing all the free games and only ever purchase games in the store when I can get something for $5 or less with the dumb ass coupon thing. Unless they're just throwing games away theres no reason to use the EGS until its improved.

Deleted member 17184

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
But the thing is, no one ever uttered the words "monopoly! competition!" before all of this - back then you already could purchase games across Steam, Green Man Gaming, cd-key retailers, Origin, GOG or whatever. No one gave damn, but as soon as Epic entered the fray, it's suddenly so incredibly vital they get a piece of the pie and we all have to embrace it because of completely made up reasons, such as competition or monopoly.
I don't know about "monopoly" or "competition," but I've seen countless people unhappy with Steam before EGS launched. And it's no wonder they celebrated its announcement. I know because I was and still am part of that group. Of course, I wish the store was better than it currently is.

And I can tell you why I want it to succeed. I think the industry is broken. There are multiple reasons, and even if all the stores fixed what I believe are issues, there are still other things that need fixing not related to them. It still means stores are part of the problem. The counter-argument I often saw was something like "if they don't like Steam, go to itch.io," which always felt disingenuous because we all know Steam is the most popular PC platform; it is (or at least was) the best hope for a profit. And then the next point I saw was "but why should we care if companies that are worth millions/billions make a profit?" Not for them, but for games. Because we know that if they're not profitable, they won't be developed anymore.

So I thought "hey, this 88-12 share could help." I thought the deals could help because if games didn't sell, at least they wouldn't be losses. I mean, Alan Wake is happening again because Remedy is working with Epic. I'm sure that many people supporting Epic are doing it because of similar thoughts, not because of a Steam rivalry.

But then the problem becomes another one: if Epic needs to pay for these games to not be losses, it still doesn't solve the core issue that they're not selling enough. To me, the problem is simple but extremely hard to solve: people are conditioned to not pay full price anymore unless they really want that game. How do we solve that? Games are expensive and not everyone playing them is rich. It's not like we can expect them to suddenly start buying everything at launch. Valve, Epic, Microsoft, Sony... these are all super-rich companies. They can afford to make less than 30% per game sold. That's a great first step, but not the only one.

XR.

Nov 22, 2018
I don't know about "monopoly" or "competition," but I've seen countless people unhappy with Steam before EGS launched. And it's no wonder they celebrated its announcement. I know because I was and still am part of that group. Of course, I wish the store was better than it currently is.

And I can tell you why I want it to succeed. I think the industry is broken. There are multiple reasons, and even if all the stores fixed what I believe are issues, there are still other things that need fixing not related to them. It still means stores are part of the problem. The counter-argument I often saw was something like "if they don't like Steam, go to itch.io," which always felt disingenuous because we all know Steam is the most popular PC platform; it is (or at least was) the best hope for a profit. And then the next point I saw was "but why should we care if companies that are worth millions/billions make a profit?" Not for them, but for games. Because we know that if they're not profitable, they won't be developed anymore.

So I thought "hey, this 88-12 share could help." I thought the deals could help because if games didn't sell, at least they wouldn't be losses. I mean, Alan Wake is happening again because Remedy is working with Epic. I'm sure that many people supporting Epic are doing it because of similar thoughts, not because of a Steam rivalry.

But then the problem becomes another one: if Epic needs to pay for these games to not be losses, it still doesn't solve the core issue that they're not selling enough. To me, the problem is simple but extremely hard to solve: people are conditioned to not pay full price anymore unless they really want that game. How do we solve that? Games are expensive and not everyone playing them is rich. It's not like we can expect them to suddenly start buying everything at launch. Valve, Epic, Microsoft, Sony... these are all super-rich companies. They can afford to make less than 30% per game sold. That's a great first step, but not the only one.
In what ways is the industry broken?

Dr. Ludwig

Oct 31, 2017
It's clear they want a mass of users to adopt into using EGS with the free games and coupons, which I think is a net positive considering the world economies are taking a shit and the rising job losses.

But I don't see that translating into actual users/customers if people are being trained to wait for free stuff and coupons.

Fortnite's gonna continue making a shitload of money with continuous development and ad campaigns, but the long term plan here... I honestly dont see it. What's their vision of EGS at this point?

Meh, at least they're funding talented studios to keep making more games. *shrug*

OP
OP
dex3108

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
I would add one more thing. Compared to 2019 they had way more games on the store and that also makes this no growth really surprising. Also when you look reports from publishers their backcatalog sales are significant. So these numbers are really bad when you look at whole picture.

Also reading reddit thread and comparing it to this one is fun XD

Last edited: