• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
They handed out 550 million more free games to increase their revenue by $20 million. Stonks!

Morten88

Dec 22, 2019
Its shocking they published these numbers. Basically no third party revenue growth from 2019 and MAU are down from earlier in 2020 despite a pandemic that's increasing user engagement for other platforms.
Yeah i dont get it why they would ever publish these stats... No publisher would ever think these are good stats and skip steam for EGS.

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
So basically next to no growth in an entire year?

Bold of them to be this open when the numbers are pretty bad.

MrHedin

Dec 7, 2018
I'm curious how it compares to other platforms, because honestly---I've stopped spending money everywhere on my PC now because of Game Pass. I can't remember the last time I purchased a Steam game.

Pure conjecture, but my takeaway is that Game Pass is probably eating into these storefronts. I'd be curious to see how others did to confirm these feelings.

Game Pass has definitely had an effect on my spending for several types of games. My wishlist is pretty much down to strategy/sim/builder games that don't really come to console or play well on console. Anything that doesn't really fit into those buckets and can be played just fine on console I have just been waiting for them to show up on GP.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
They'll probably be fine and keep on trucking but I expected bigger growth, especially with how 2020 played out.

Adrifi

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 5, 2019
the Spanish Basque Country
Oof, that is very poor growth. Going from 680 million to 700 million in the year with Covid and people at home?

Just for comparison's sake and because other users are mentioning Game Pass, with 18 million subscribers Game Pass should be making 2.7 billion dollars per year in revenue if 50% of people have Ultimate, obviously it's less than that now because of the Gold convertion and special offers so maybe only 2 billion but still, those are very poor numbers for a digital storefront.

They must be bleeding money like crazy.

Edit: hold up the second figure is basically revenue taking Fortnite out of the picture. From 251 million to 265 million, even worse, yikes.

Last edited:

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
Interesting. Since the Epic store started giving vouchers I only buy games from them. Steam sadly think I like in EU or USA with their damn regional pricing.
I hope they continue to do what they have been doing all there past years.

Ionic

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I gotta give them credit for even publishing these numbers. It's seems a bit dire, like I imagine their total 3rd party revenue is what other platforms get from just a few combined AAA games. It just isn't much growth, even if there wasn't a pandemic that is making every piece of online entertainment skyrocket.

Edit: Just so I'm clear is the difference between their total revenue and third party revenue basically just Fortnite?

Edit 2: I wonder if the reason they didn't include the money saved from coupon stats this year was because it had a huge increase while total revenue did not.

Sabin

Oct 25, 2017
These numbers are terrible considering litteraly every online service had tremendous growth this year.

The majority seems to use EGS as a free games machine and buys somewhere else instead.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah i dont get it why they would ever publish these stats... No publisher would ever think these are good stats and skip steam for EGS.

Not publishing numbers after doing so last year would probably make people speculate that the results were really bad. Flat growth is not great but it's not a disaster either.

Metroidvania

Oct 25, 2017
They'll probably be fine and keep on trucking but I expected bigger growth, especially with how 2020 played out.

....How do you figure?

The paltry growth % numbers (especially for third-party games), even with the lowered 'cost' of less 6-7 digit payouts for exclusivity windows, are.....not encouraging.....not to mention the amount of 'losses' they're getting from the free games, coupons, etc....

If/when the fortnite money dries up, I could see the EGS going into skeleton crew mode.

Depends on how much money Tim wants to throw away on it, sure, but....I dunno if I see this experiment lasting any longer than a year or two more.

Especially because a lot of their studio acquisitions have recently(ish) put out games, and aren't going to be have another release ready for 2+ years, especially with COVID delays.

Oct 27, 2017
I had one exprience with EGS during Total War Tory and this exprience was so bad and painful that I will never use EGS again, not even if a game i like is free.

Morten88

Dec 22, 2019
Not publishing numbers after doing so last year would probably make people speculate that the results were really bad. Flat growth is not great but it's not a disaster either.
Thats true, everyone would probably think they had done worse last year, but i gotta wonder how this would have looked if they never gave out those 10$ coupons in all their sales.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm curious how it compares to other platforms, because honestly---I've stopped spending money everywhere on my PC now because of Game Pass. I can't remember the last time I purchased a Steam game.

Pure conjecture, but my takeaway is that Game Pass is probably eating into these storefronts. I'd be curious to see how others did to confirm these feelings.
I don't think GP PC is as successful as you think because Microsoft games (particularly Halo MCC and Sea of Thieves) are doing incredibly well on Steam. It's the Steam release of Sea of Thieves that finally put its PC player count above the console player count.

And I'm glad that Microsoft's terrible store isn't taking over and killing modding on PC with its awful folder-lock system. Worse than anything Epic has done.

Oct 26, 2017
Just some basic, unscientific napkin math:

So they gave away 749M free games. I honestly have no idea how much they pay devs for them, but I imagine it varies wildly. Something like Yooka Laylee and the Impossible Lair can't be cheap, but some indie games might be. I'll say they pay $1 on average per copy they give out. Take that with a mountain of salt.

From this, they earned $265M in third party sales. I'll even give them the benefit of the doubt and not merely give them credit for the YoY increase. I'll give them the whole $265M.

Plus last year they paid out $23M in coupons and vouchers. It probably increased, but I'll keep it static.

So, in theory, they spent $749M plus $23M (so $772M) to get a return of... $265M.

And it's actually worse than that, as this doesn't include their payouts for exclusives.

And it's really even worse, as their cut is actually only 12% of that $265M, so... $31.8M.

Tl;dr, my napkin math has Epic spending $772M (not counting exclusivity deals or upkeep) to get a return of $31.8M.

Jeeeeeezus.

Doomguy Fieri

Nov 3, 2017
I don't mind spreading my PC purchases across multiple storefronts, and EGS still barely makes the cut. It's feature poor compared to Steam and GOG. Without exclusivity (Hades early access) or screaming good deals, there's no reason to choose it over the competition.

canderous

Prophet of Truth
Jun 12, 2020
That is very little growth. It appears that people are just using Epic for the free games and not actually shifting much buying there.
I wonder how many others there are like me. I have claimed the majority of the free games, but have yet to even install the launcher, nevermind actually buy something on there. I'm just adding them to my account for a rainy day.

TioChuck

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil

So they gave away 749M free games. I honestly have no idea how much they pay devs for them, but I imagine it varies wildly. Something like Yooka Laylee and the Impossible Lair can't be cheap, but some indie games might be. I'll say they pay $1 on average per copy they give out. Take that with a mountain of salt.

From this, they earned $265M in third party sales. I'll even give them the benefit of the doubt and not merely give them credit for the YoY increase. I'll give them the whole $265M.

Plus last year they paid out $23M in coupons and vouchers. It probably increased, but I'll keep it static.

So, in theory, they spent $749M plus $23M (so $772M) to get a return of... $265M.

And it's actually worse than that, as this doesn't include their payouts for exclusives.

And it's really even worse, as their cut is actually only 12% of that $265M, so... $31.8M.

Tl;dr, my napkin math has Epic spending $772M (not counting exclusivity deals or upkeep) to get a return of $31.8M.

Jeeeeeezus.

You forgot that inside that 12% they still pay the 5%+ of transaction fees.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
Thats true, everyone would probably think they had done worse last year, but i gotta wonder how this would have looked if they never gave out those 10$ coupons in all their sales.

Not good at all, I imagine. Back when EGS launched I argued that Epic has to make a case for why customers should buy a game on EGS instead of Steam. Two years later there is still no reason to buy from EGS unless you can buy a game cheaper. Take coupons away and you are left with nothing.

Miker

Oct 25, 2017

Jeeeeeezus.

EDIT: nvm, misread chart

OP
OP
dex3108

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
And they are starting to repeat Free games, For The King was Free in April last year.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm no business expert, but it sure seems like a business model built around giving away free stuff instead of building a platform people want to use is not at all sustainable.

Metroidvania

Oct 25, 2017
And they are starting to repeat Free games, For The King was Free in April last year.

They've repeated multiple free games before now.

Jeeeeeezus.

Honestly, them going out of their way to not include how much Epic had to shell out for those 10 dollar coupons (when every other element of the chart is the same) is IMO pretty telling.

However, did I miss it, or does your napkin math not count the fortnite bux (approx. 435 million)?

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
Hmm. That's...not really too much to brag about. Terrible YOY growth during a year where everyone famously turned to videogames to escape.

Does anyone keep getting like 50 damn friend requests all the time?
Yes! I thought I was the only one with this problem.

I have never played a single EGS game online, nor have I given out my EGS username to anyone, but still I get friend requests from god-knows-who. I even look them up on Steam/PSN/XBL/etc. and there's never a match.

Oct 26, 2017
However, did I miss it, or does your napkin math not count the fortnite bux (approx. 435 million)?

It doesn't, because the free games and coupons aren't there to increase Fortnite income. Fortnite is its own beast. They're there explicitly to create interest in the store itself and make people use EGS over something like Steam.

Hence my (likely pretty off, one way or the other) math having them invest $772M on a $31.8M return.

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
I'm glad PC users are not using the EGS much.
I hope this pushes the EGS to change from their current low effort to starting innovation so that EGS fight for the costumer attention.
I had one exprience with EGS during Total War Tory and this exprience was so bad and painful that I will never use EGS again, not even if a game i like is free.
+1.
I specifically had problem with downloading the first DLC where i had to re-install the game because the DLC didn't install correctly.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
I don't know much about this kinda stuff but those numbers... Kinda seem absolutely horrible? Nobody wants to spend money on EGS. They just take free games and move on, probably going on Steam to actually spend their money considering how well Steam did this past year. You would think it would be even a little higher considering the pandemic has increased digital spending but nope.

Madjoki

Oct 25, 2017
ot7ytWs.png