• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
Hey something I can actually feel good about related to Fortnite

Really amazing of Epic to set up a program like this. Good to see a company putting money to good use.

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, they really have that much free cash, lol.

This is really cool though. No EGS exclusivity required either. Imagine getting half a mil as an indie to fund your dream game with no strings.

lorddarkflare

Oct 25, 2017
This is AWESOME. If they wanted games to be exclusive to their store, this should have been how they pivoted to get that done.

This is a great approach.

The other one is super scummy.

ThankDougie

Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Buffalo
User Warned: Antagonizing other members
BUT IS IT PRO-CONSUMER?!

I wonder at what point Epic's continuing endeavors both with their store and with developers directly will influence the way people understand their business - lots of "not social justice warriors" out there who still want to give Epic flack while defending the racist-enabling tactics that Steam regularly employs... it's hilarious to me just how tilted opinions about Epic have changed since they started taking the entirely reasonable route of gathering exclusives under their umbrella. One wonders if games developed using this money will end up exclusive too, but gosh this seems like a pretty decent initiative from a company that's been labelled somehow more evil and anti-consumer than its competitors

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
So say I've been on and off working on a hobby project in UE4 for the past 3-4 years, and I finally have simplified the concept to a point where I can probably make a decent prototype. I'm a one man team at this point, but work is very slow because I have a full time job and family life and all that nonsense.

If I apply for this grant, could I potentially get chosen? If so, could this money be used towards helping me pay bills and stuff while I start transitioning to part time work for my job, rather than be spent specifically on the project?

Very interesting potential for this program...

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
I wasn't aware that Epic had fuckyou money as far as cash on hands but that's a really good thing!

Oct 28, 2017
That's a superb initiative, I don't love the moneyhatting of exclusives but kudos to Epic for this. It could be a real success story later on.

Yunyo

Oct 25, 2017
This is the kind of movement I expected from Epic with Unreal long before all these store shenanigans started. This is where their strength lies.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I've really been itching to start working on a project again for the past few weeks, this is the kick I need to start getting a working prototype together.

Really cool program.

DarkFlame92

Nov 10, 2017
That's a good move. Epic knows that Fortnite is not gonna be a goldmine forever,so they lay the foundations in all directions for the future.