• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Era gonna explode when google/amazon start paying for exclusives for their platforms too

The games that get picked up for exclusives to streaming services are going to hurt bad.

We're at the point now that I will literally forget I have a game because I don't have a great collating process set up, same with movies/TV shows

Like I got Metro on EGS and like 10 other things
I got MK11 on Steam and like 500 others
Division 2 on uPlay
Destiny 2 on Battle.net
Then there's Slurp
Slurp Latin
Slurp HD

If streaming peeps like Apple and Google's start pulling games I have no chance of managing my backlog ever again

Deleted member 9317

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
New York
Galyonkin was easy to find although he has since deleted this tweet. Not sure if his opinion changed or he just doesn't want people to know he's a scumbag:

iTSpMzc.png

Also does this mean we're not getting wishlists on EGS?
I mean it varies from 10 because Steam had an achievement for having 10 games in your wishlist.

Wishlist doesn't change any buying habits, nor does it stops me from buying a game on sale.

Nome

Designer / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
This is one of the most ridiculous twitter hot takes I've ever seen.

Plus does this guy know how big the average Era backlog is? Probably hundreds of unfinished games.
I don't know anything about wish lists, but sales definitely have that effect.
The result is that users will spend more overall due to sales (benefits the platform, e.g. Steam) but individual developers will make less money.

Deleted member 42

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
I definitely wait to buy things until they're on sale but I'm also a coward who is poor and miserly so

also that's kinda not a me problem tbh

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
I do hope that's one of the first things they'll tackle. Just finished playing for today and my team dropped off a match due to a server error. I can't imagine what it takes to support these player numbers for an independent developer.
Apparently AWS makes it very easy. You can even ramp up and down with fake players during testing to stress-test. They end up paying for the amount being used.

Giever

Oct 25, 2017
The result is that users will spend more overall due to sales (benefits the platform, e.g. Steam) but individual developers will make less money.
Yeah, users spending more overall due to sales benefits the platform, but I don't see how it isn't still better for the industry in general. Individual developers might make less money, but more developers are potentially being sustained since there's more total influx of cash. I don't think a healthier industry is one where a smaller pool of developers (really, publishers) is making more of the money.

Stone Ocean

Oct 25, 2017
I can only speak for myself but games I wait sales for are not games I would have bought at all otherwise. If anything I'm being "trained" to branch out my tastes more and give chances to games I wouldn't even look at.

voOsh

Apr 5, 2018
Games I wait sales for are not games I would have bought at all otherwise.

Exactly. There are far too many games vying for not only money but also time. It's commonplace amongst my friend group to ask someone playing a new game for their impressions and to get a reply like "It's pretty good but the content is fairly shallow, grab it around $10-$15."

Publishers know this as well. Once a game has been out at full price for awhile the sales start to slow down drastically and it benefits them to lower the price to move more units. Also with so many games having MTX and other ways to spend additional money within the game, just getting the game into more hands is valuable. I think sales are great and benefit everyone involved.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Galyonkin was easy to find although he has since deleted this tweet. Not sure if his opinion changed or he just doesn't want people to know he's a scumbag:

iTSpMzc.png

Hooo boy

Sergey, just letting you know, you're very good at training me to NEVER use your store :)

Nome

Designer / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
Yeah, users spending more overall due to sales benefits the platform, but I don't see how it isn't still better for the industry in general. Individual developers might make less money, but more developers are potentially being sustained since there's more total influx of cash. I don't think a healthier industry is one where a smaller pool of developers (really, publishers) is making more of the money.
Sorry yeah, I wasn't trying to make any statement regarding what's better for the industry.
I was just stating general eCommerce best practices.

Also, obviously what's best for the industry isn't always what's better for consumers. I think Valve and Steam have done a fantastic job of skirting the line between both, to be honest. But making PC the "cheap" platform has definitely turned off some developers I've spoken to in the past.

fspm

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Like you all heard about sales today and black friday never existed. And as far as I know it's totally up to publisher to put items on sale or not.
But making PC the "cheap" platform has definitely turned off some developers I've spoken to in the past.
As long as they haven't been turned off by cert and paying for every patch everything's good.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
You're going to spend the same amount of money either way. If you're going to pop off $120 you might buy three $40 games, 12 $10 games, or any mix. the buying pattern is different, and it surely varies among individuals, but I bet overall it balances out and people spend the same if not more money.

This narrative going around about what's wrong with PC gaming or how people can't sell their games because of steam is fucking stupid.

Maybe your game isn't that good. Have you ever thought of that? have you ever thought of maybe your game is just pretty good, but there's hella games out there that are very good? So simple, correct? It explains, it predicts.

Deleted member 42

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
You're going to spend the same amount of money either way. If you're going to pop off $120 you might buy three $40 games, 12 $10 games, or any mix. the buying pattern is different, and it surely varies among individuals, but I bet overall it balances out and people spend the same if not more money.

This narrative going around about what's wrong with PC gaming or how people can't sell their games because of steam is fucking stupid.

Maybe your game isn't that good. Have you ever thought of that? have you ever thought of maybe your game is just pretty good, but there's hella games out there that are very good? So simple, correct? It explains, it predicts.

I'm gonna be honest, I'm not down with throwing hands at indie devs in general like that, considering a good portion of them basically live and die with how their game does, and visibility is such a big thing for them now

I don't really wanna armchair quarterback something like that

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
I'm gonna be honest, I'm not down with throwing hands at indie devs in general like that, considering a good portion of them basically live and die with how their game does, and visibility is such a big thing for them now

I don't really wanna armchair quarterback something like that

I feel you. I don't feel good saying it. I don't know if I'm right on this. If I'm wrong I would feel like a dick. If I'm right, Id feel like it's ugly truth.

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
I can only speak for myself but games I wait sales for are not games I would have bought at all otherwise. If anything I'm being "trained" to branch out my tastes more and give chances to games I wouldn't even look at.

This is the same for me

In the past when I bought games for $50 - I would buy probably a dozen at the most a year but now it's way more than that and I have ended up playing genres and series I wouldn't have otherwise

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
This thing about games being devalued reminded me of this huge Revelation I had so long ago. Actually, I didn't really have it, I was punched in the face with it.

So I was young and dumb. And a lot of us on here were basically disgusted by GameStop. They're ubiquitous all over the place so they fix prices. The used buy and sell prices were messed up. The sales people were always shoving programs and stuff down your throat. They devalue games. And their shelves are full of crap. A rotten parasitic pawn shop.

But then, stumpokapow, God bless him, wrote this post explaining how the games were not being devalued, and GameStop was not a parasite on the industry. The truth was that the industry had come to lean on GameStop to correct the price of games for their real world value. Good games and new games are traded in less often, are in more demand, and their prices stay higher. The ability to trade in games for credit towards new ones keeps the money moving because players aren't as scared of buying a bum game. Stump was really thorough and concise as usual.. I wish I saved a link to the post somewhere. It was so good.

Anyhow, to this day I think it was totally right and this whole thing reminds me that.

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
This thing about games being devalued reminded me of this huge Revelation I had so long ago. Actually, I didn't really have it, I was punched in the face with it.

So I was young and dumb. And a lot of us on here were basically disgusted by GameStop. They're ubiquitous all over the place so they fix prices. The used buy and sell prices were messed up. The sales people were always shoving programs and stuff down your throat. They devalue games. And their shelves are full of crap. A rotten parasitic pawn shop.

But then, stumpokapow, God bless him, wrote this post explaining how the games were not being devalued, and GameStop was not a parasite on the industry. The truth was that the industry had come to lean on GameStop to correct the price of games for their real world value. Good games and new games are traded in less often, are in more demand, and their prices stay higher. The ability to trade in games for credit towards new ones keeps the money moving because players aren't as scared of buying a bum game. Stump was really thorough and concise as usual.. I wish I saved a link to the post somewhere. It was so good.

Anyhow, to this day I think it was totally right and this whole thing reminds me that.
This doesn't map as an analogy 1:1 to digital goods that have $0 tradein value.

¡ B 0 0 P !

Banned
Apr 4, 2019
Greater Toronto Area

There are over 30,000 games on Steam now. Even if you take the most cynical approach and assume 90% of them are crap that still leaves more than 3,000 good games. How can any developer expect an average person could buy hundreds of those games at full price?

EGS and Switch are better than Steam only because they lack the large number of games. But as time goes on they too will have the same problem as Steam: too many good games being created for all to be successful in a market that is saturated.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
This doesn't map as an analogy 1:1 to digital goods that have $0 tradein value.

Definitely doesn't map exactly.
The similar part to me is how a lot of people are thinking this corner of the market is damaging, but it actually might be important.

Consider though that you can actually trade keys with people before they're activated. Easily, too. You just tell them the key. And instead of trading in games to make their money go farther at gamestop, players can wait till games get very, very inexpensive. Both of these dynamics spread the money around and correct the value of the games.

Yeah. Not one to one analogy, but I ponder on that when I ponder on this. I can't separate them that much. publishers wanted to eliminate GameStop, and now it's coming to pass, and it's not that good for us. Now, publishers want to eliminate key resellers, and that's going to be bad for us too. Might take 10 years.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
There are over 30,000 games on Steam now. Even if you take the most cynical approach and assume 90% of them are crap that still leaves more than 3,000 good games. How can any developer expect an average person could buy hundreds of those games at full price?

EGS and Switch are better than Steam only because they lack the large number of games. But as time goes on they too will have the same problem as Steam: too many good games being created for all to be successful in a market that is saturated.

I thought lately that it would be so fun to have a steam key reselling store that I could curate and make nice interesting pages for the games that are selected.

Curation is awesome. There's opportunities for a smaller reseller to find a niche doing things like that. Having a store where a subset of the audience could go to and expect to find their favorite genres featured heavily and displaying the cream of the crop. That would be cool. At least I think it would be.

But steam itself is too ubiquitous and important to be locking anyone out (almost anyone.). Hobbyists and the general public need access to the platform. I think it's the only responsible choice. Curation on the steam software platform would be wrong.

Gankzymcfly

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
You can also still buy Rocket League on Steam.

We'll see if this is still the case following it's release on EGS. I wouldn't be surprised if Rocket League on steam (for those who already own it) launches the EGS launcher a year from now. I actually commend steam for not pulling firewatch from other PC storefronts (assuming there weren't some deals that prevented them from doing so).

YuSuzzune

Nov 21, 2018

iTSpMzc.png

Does Sergei think we are all arabian princes who can buy all games on D1? We have not a Patreon giving us 13k each month to do nothing over our full time job.

KainXVIII

Oct 26, 2017
Psyonix quietly removed regional pricing for RL in Steam (at least in RU region) after acquiring.
cUmpetition, amirite?

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
One thing I noticed was since this announcement Rocket league has rarely been a top ten seller on Steam. It's top 50 currently. Before this acquisition it was rarely if ever out of the top ten. Still a top played game of course and maybe it just sold so much for years it was just a natural decline but it happened pretty much when the acquisition was made.

I still think they are gonna free to play on Epic.