• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 35598

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 7, 2017
Spain
This Epic drama shit strikes me as so pedantic in that typical "gamer" way.

"Oh, no. Fuck you, guys. I'm gonna shit on you and bad mouth you from now on because you made a business move I don't like! Fuck your job security! Now I have to click on a different window now, and my comfy features are gone... and ..and now I have to give money to another faceless publisher? Fuck you! MuH vIdYaGaMe CoNsUmEr RiGhTs!!!1"

Anyway, good luck to Psyonix on their future and the future of RL.

Good luck to Psyonix indeed. Unfortunately I expect some incoming review bombing for Rocket League which is terrible response from some gamers.

I think they can either voice their opinion on social media and fouim - which they do - or vote with their wallet. But to rewiew bomb a game is just not right.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
This Epic drama shit strikes me as so pedantic in that typical "gamer" way.

"Oh, no. Fuck you, guys. I'm gonna shit on you and bad mouth you from now on because you made a business move I don't like! Fuck your job security! Now I have to click on a different window now, and my comfy features are gone... and ..and now I have to give money to another faceless publisher? Fuck you! MuH vIdYaGaMe CoNsUmEr RiGhTs!!!1"

Anyway, good luck to Psyonix on their future and the future of RL.

Yeah, sorry if I like to share my games. Maybe you have no one to share your games with. Fuck off with that noise.

Sandersson

Banned
Feb 5, 2018
Literally, what the fuck.

Edit:

Actually, let me engage. Where's the bad faith? What am I purposefully missing? Go ahead educate me.

Let me see. Hmm. Nope. I'm feeling no such embarrassment.
Your comment has nothing to do with the general sentiment in this thread, nor does it actually discuss any criticism towards this move. On top of speaking past everything that is actually being discussed, you make some weird assertions like "fuck job security" to imply people in this thread have actually said this and are actively pursuing such a thing.

So in conclusion, you attack a straw man, fail to recognize the general criticism towards the event by cherry picking a couple of hot takes and even managing to invent some of your own in the process (consumer rights meme, job security.)

This is the defition of bad faith argument on display and you are going to make people lash out even stronger than they already were because of your comment.

Jonnax

Oct 26, 2017
User banned (1 day): misrepresenting other users' arguments; accumulated infractions
I can't see all the complaints as anything more than people wanting to ensure that Valve get their 30% as if they're shareholders.

For me it's literally opening an app and then clicking launch game. I don't care who I pay all that much.

NO!R

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Your comment has nothing to do with the general sentiment in this thread, nor does it actually discuss any criticism towards this move. On top of speaking past everything that is actually being discussed, you make some weird assertions like "fuck job security" to imply people in this thread have actually said this and are actively pursuing such a thing.

So in conclusion, you attack a straw man, fail to recognize the general criticism towards the event by cherry picking a couple of hot takes and even managing to invent some of your own in the process (consumer rights meme, job security.)

This is the defition of bad faith argument on display and you are going to make people lash out even stronger than they already were because of your comment.

How is it weird to assume people are attacking the job security of developers when they're asking literally for heads to roll at Epic? Not to mention the generally ill-will directed at developers who strike deals and make contracts with Epic.

That's what I gather from a quick glance that the thread.

And I'm not cherry-picking hot takes, I'm literally not understanding how people pick and choose what to get mad about.

Like you're literally paying for the same licenses, you're not owning anything, same as on the other client. You know? It's so backwards that you don't rail nearly as hard against these more pervasive and ethically infringing practices, but then make a big stink about this.

You're still paying money to another big developer who got big enough to own a storefront, and they're not your friendly neighborhood developer anymore. They're a faceless Corp just like Valve is now with steam. Like, Steam is not your fucking friend, you know? They don't care how you back them up and defend them online and defend their business. You're literally just a number to them. A purchase.

So you don't lose access to these new games, you just have to download through them through a different client. You still don't techincally own the game. It's not like Microsoft buying Rockstar Games and everybody on Playstation loses access to Grand Theft Auto forever. You still have a PC, you can download the games. You can choose not to because you don't like the fact that the client is still missing features like in-game overlay and what have you, but the game is still available to you and it's the same rules as purchasing it on Steam.

Feb 10, 2018
Congrats, then! It's just not that easy for most people.

I don't really understand why ? Has it got to do with the friend list and being able to broadcast the game you play ? Not trying to be malicious or whatever, I really don't get why people are so angry with the epic game launcher. I personally only use steam to launch a game and that's it, so I guess that's why I don't get it

Cecil

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
I can't see all the complaints as anything more than people wanting to ensure that Valve get their 30% as if they're shareholders.

For me it's literally opening an app and then clicking launch game. I don't care who I pay all that much.

There have multiple threads with people explaining why it isn't just about "another launcher". If you want to inform yourself, go read up on those threads and posts.

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Valve is either gonna have to play ball or end up losing the game. How many exclusives can Epic buy before it starts putting a dent into Steam?

NO!R

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I understand the knee-jerk reaction to not being given a choice to purchase on the platform you prefer. Steam is your main platform, the one you like for reasons. And now you feel you are being honeypotted with your most anticipated title to purchase on this store because these guys want to grow their business, and that's a problem to you on principle. But to me that's just how business and capitalism work. And that's not nearly as big an issue (to me) as you not actually owning the software you pay for in the end.

TyraZaurus

Nov 6, 2017
Disney has a market cap at least 80B larger than Netflix. What are you talking about?

http://www.theflitecast.com/posts/2018/7/27/why-disney-fox-isnt-the-monopoly-you-think-it-is

That's a simplified answer, but let's break it down further. Over the past five years, streaming content over the Internet has grown from being a niche fad to a viable industry and Netflix has led that charge. Regardless of what you might read about in terms of money lost or gained, Netflix currently has a reported market cap of $170 billion and has more than 130 million subscribers, which was actually reported as just missing their projected goal of 132 million. By comparison, Disney's market cap is $159 billion, which is not only behind Netflix but also behind AT&T-Time Warner, now valued at $197 billion.

I was basing it off this. Is it inaccurate?

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Rocket League is going to blow up I feel. Especially with the way Epic has Fortnite Esport infrastructure is. All they have to do is apply it to Rocket League. Tournaments, crazy prize pools, ... or just Fortnite skins in Rocket League, and Rocket League skins in Fortnite somehow.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
I understand the knee-jerk reaction to not being given a choice to purchase on the platform you prefer. Steam is your main platform, the one you like for reasons. And now you feel you are being honeypotted with your most anticipated title to purchase on this store because these guys want to grow their business, and that's a problem to you on principle. But to me that's just how business and capitalism work. And that's not nearly as big an issue (to me) as you not actually owning the software you pay for in the end.

Why do we always get these extremely ignorant hot takes dozens of pages into every single epic thread like this hasn't been pointed out hundreds of times before and how people's legitimate gripes with epic are completely ignored?

The only knee jerk reaction here is yours.

qrac

Nov 13, 2017
Nice for Psyonix, it's a really fun game.

Seems like they've been friends for a long time now.

Psyonix had previously developed Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket-Powered Battle-Cars in 2008 for the PlayStation 3. That title itself bore out from previous modifications that Psyonix' founder, Dave Hagewood, had done for Unreal Tournament 2003 by expanding out vehicle-based gameplay that Epic Games had already set in place in the engine into a new game mode called Onslaught. For this, Hagewood was hired as a contractor by Epic for Unreal Tournament 2004 specifically for incorporating the Onslaught mode as an official part of the game. Hagewood used his experience at Epic to found Psyonix.

aspiegamer

Oct 27, 2017
ZzzzzzZzzzZzz...
I don't really understand why ? Has it got to do with the friend list and being able to broadcast the game you play ? Not trying to be malicious or whatever, I really don't get why people are so angry with the epic game launcher. I personally only use steam to launch a game and that's it, so I guess that's why I don't get it
A short list-- Forums, mods, MTXes, cross-play, payment options (lacking), territorial availability (or a higher price in some places), among other things.

voOsh

Apr 5, 2018

I play online games probably like 70% of the time I spend gaming. I have my friends list on Steam tagged for various games. I use the Join Game feature almost daily. I look at friends screenshots and comment on them. I use the Steam Marketplace and Steam Workshop for a variety of games. I can keep going. Using Steam is hugely convenient for me. EGS has none of that. What they're doing isn't illegal but I can vote with my dollar and campaign for others to do the same.

Sandersson

Banned
Feb 5, 2018
How is it weird to assume people are attacking the job security of developers when they're asking literally for heads to roll at Epic? Not to mention the generally ill-will directed at developers who strike deals and make contracts with Epic.
Like even this first part proves my point 100%. Im sure you can find a moron who wants to see "heads roll", but in the context of this thread, where are these people advocating for violence? You are like reaching to a youtube comment section to find someone who agrees with this sentiment, applying it to everyone and stating it as a common stance. The same thing that people like NoBS do.

And you even kinda admit that you made up the job security part. Since we have no real data, nor expertise to really project how this event will actually affect future employment, attributing criticism to malice (ie. critics actively wanting people to have less job security) is highly irrational. I would suggest you read about the princible of charity.

On top of that anyone who is trying to do a good faith effort to understand these criticisms realizes that the problem is not really getting bought out, its getting locked away from people's preferred platform. You can argue against or for it, but your original comment was such a low-tier bait that is deserves to get called out.

RoninStrife

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Here's the thing..
Epic Games so far acknowledge two tiers.
Pc and console.
They have no reason to see PSN or XBL as direct competitors to EGS.
But, how will that change with the Microsoft Store being bridged between XBL and Windows 10 pc?
With EGS now buying studios, and excluding Steam for example, could they one day not allow certain games, like a Rocket League 2 from releasing on the next Xbox because of it's Windows store integration? (if that's what MS chooses to do next gen)

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
Valve is either gonna have to play ball or end up losing the game. How many exclusives can Epic buy before it starts putting a dent into Steam?
Its easy to see all this big power plays and think "oh noes Valve" but the sheer size of the PC market alone will be enough to sustain them unless Epic adopts a similar approach to curation as Valve and becomes a store for anyone to sell their games on.

Valve can go back to servicing the market that existed before all this big publishers saw the viability of PC gaming thanks to Steam if it ever comes to it.

Also idk if this situation is the same as money hatting exclusives. This seems like a more long term thing than Sweeny going : Fuck Valve. They have plans for them beyond just disrupting a competitor so the scenario is not the same as money hatting BL3 or Division 2.

Why do we always get these extremely ignorant hot takes dozens of pages into every single epic thread like this hasn't been pointed out hundreds of times before and how people's legitimate gripes with epic are completely ignored?

The only knee jerk reaction here is yours.
He's the capitalist ubermensch; he has gone beyond the need to see all the minute details and care about them or god forbid actually sit down and think about them and just falls back on his mantra of "Itz juss biznezz".

Still trying to work out rights on digital purchases though, that he has not figured out yet.

Pillock

User Requested Ban
Banned
Dec 29, 2017
User Banned (1 Day): Thread Derailment
Meanwhile over at Valve - Here's a £1000 VR headset for the handful of you that can afford it.

They just seem a little out of touch at the moment.

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
Meanwhile over at Valve - Here's a £1000 VR headset for the handful of you that can afford it.

1000 is for headset + controllers + base stations. Also that does not have to do anything with this topic?

Hey. They are also maybe making a game to actually support the 1000 dollar headset. Maybe.
Yes there are no other VR game out there. Not a single one!

Rodjer

Self-requested ban.
Jan 28, 2018
What's the second best selling global thing out of interest?

3FWRuiT.png

Feb 10, 2018
A short list-- Forums, mods, MTXes, cross-play, payment options (lacking), territorial availability (or a higher price in some places), among other things.

I play online games probably like 70% of the time I spend gaming. I have my friends list on Steam tagged for various games. I use the Join Game feature almost daily. I look at friends screenshots and comment on them. I use the Steam Marketplace and Steam Workshop for a variety of games. I can keep going. Using Steam is hugely convenient for me. EGS has none of that. What they're doing isn't illegal but I can vote with my dollar and campaign for others to do the same.

Thanks for the replies !

I get it now, it's true that for users like me, using steam or epic games launcher is just a matter of clicking on a different icon, so it's not a big deal, but I understand how frustrating it is to lose all the features you are used to. Hopefully the EGS will get these soon

Podge293

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Good on psyonix securing its future and getting those hard earned payouts.

Wonder what their next game will be

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
Psyonix is an Epic Games first-party studio now so their future games being EGS-only is to be expected. (Eventually) pulling already released titles from other stores would be a shitty thing to do, but that also is to be expected since Epic Games is a studio that has frequently engaged in shitty practices and keeps doing so. Assuming that the plan is to provide funding for new Psyonix games, spending money to invest in studios and fund their future projects from the ground up is a better use of money than moneyhatting existing games to keep them away from other stores.

In theory then, I would have no issue buying a future Psyonix game from the EGS, under two conditions: first, that Epic stops moneyhatting games and commits to a more consumer-friendly stance, and second, that Epic seriously invests in bringing its service at the very least up to par with other competitors in the PC space.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017

The announcement of that made me consider contacting their customer service to see if they would sell me a button membrane for the Steam Controller (I love this thing and it seem to be getting rare to find. $80ish on Amazon). They wouldn't sell parts for it, but I now see that Steam CS respond quick now. My steam controller's gyro also drift a lot requiring calibration a lot and if I'm not playing a game from big picture mode I would need to enter BPM to calibrate it and I will have to stay in BPM until I restart the game. My analog started to randomly drift down as well. Things I have to deal with, I'll likely just get another and get a long warranty on it. For $1k people better get a warranty on that thing.

I wish another company made a controller with a right track pad and gyro, I really don't like using mouse keyboard for action games if I don't have to, mouse is fine, but the darn keyboard part just gets tedious, an analog nav controller like device would probably be better.

Cecil

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017

Should they hold back on their VR set, just to make public efforts to buy exclusives instead, just to appease people following headlines?

RockyBalboa_

Apr 28, 2018
Good on psyonix securing its future and getting those hard earned payouts.

Wonder what their next game will be

Rocket League 2020! All new action, drama and excitement.

I think it's cool that Rocket League has had quite the following over the last few years. Gosh I'm addicted and spend more time playing this as my yearly sports game than I have played Fifa across the past few years. Chalking up to 44 days worth of game time on the Xbox and between 20-40 hours on the Switch, pc and PS4 versions.

Council Pop

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've been looking at the pic for 5 minutes now, where's the racism?

"Chinese money"? Come on. Imagine if it said "Israeli money" or something. Dehumanised, cruel, money grabbing Chinese businessmen is an age-old racist trope, one that isn't made okay just because you oppose the actions of the Chinese government, just as dogwhistle antisemitism is not okay, despite the Israeli state's horrific treatment of Palestinians/settlements/apartheid laws etc.

Literally 1 dumbass comment out of 20. Not exactly a fair generalisation.

Yeah fair enough, it's just something I see more and more these days, especially on Era.

Aaronmac

Nov 12, 2017
I have multiple friends that work at Psyonix and the more secure their jobs (which they absolutely love!) are, the happier it makes me. Psyonix has always been close with Epic, so this doesn't surprise me. As long as the game's functionality and features do not suffer from this decision, I'm completely fine with it. I'll be interested in seeing where this leads!

Willin

Oct 28, 2017
User Banned (3 Days): Continued drive-by trolling despite previous warning
I would just like to point out that out of the current top 10 games on Steam, 7 of them are exclusive to Steam and cannot be played anywhere else on PC.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
I have multiple friends that work at Psyonix and the more secure their jobs (which they absolutely love!) are, the happier it makes me. Psyonix has always been close with Epic, so this doesn't surprise me. As long as the game's functionality and features do not suffer from this decision, I'm completely fine with it. I'll be interested in seeing where this leads!

ask your friends what kind of hours they are working now, per week just for the record - curious to see what Epic will have them do with their GaaS title

I would just like to point out that out of the current top 10 games on Steam, 7 of them are exclusive to Steam and cannot be played anywhere else on PC.

but they are free to publish where they like, whats your point? and how is this relevant ot the thread?

Kaim Argonar

Dec 8, 2017
I really hope they're true to what they say and keep the Steam version of the game updated. I don't want a free Epic Games Store key to move me to that platform for Rocket League. I'll buy Rocket League 2 on the EGS when it comes out a few years from now and have absolutely no problem with that, but I won't do it if they try to FORCE me out of the current Rocket League Steam ecosystem.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
If it stays on Steam, that's not what Epic's press release said. Odd that they'd just put that out in the wild like that. Saying something completely false.

Definitely getting delisted. "No announced plans" might as well mean "not yet".

TheTrain

Oct 27, 2017
They take the money right away with the order or they wait the expedition before charging the cc?
Seeing how quickly they are selling I'm thinking ordering one of this beast so I'm ready for this fall, as I was planning initially

Deleted member 22405

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Really ? Do you have a link ? That's pretty interesting, I've haven't seen anyone complaining about that situation being anti-consumer...
https://steamcharts.com/top
Nobody is forcing those games to be exclusive to Steam unless they're straight up published by Valve. Unlike the case where Titanfall 2 is EXCLUSIVE to Origin and its not getting off the launcher anytime soon. Or how there is nothing stopping PlayerUnknown from putting PUBG on the Epic store. Especially considering his relationship with the engine.

Rodjer

Self-requested ban.
Jan 28, 2018

So? Valve is not forcing developers to use Steam, they are free to release their games everywhere.

Really ? Do you have a link ? That's pretty interesting, I've haven't seen anyone complaining about that situation being anti-consumer...

fucking lol
Anti-consumer? Is Valve actively pressuring developers to publish games on steam? No they don't, publishers are developers are choosing to release on Steam.