• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Just so we're clear, you think a bunch of people review bombing this game because the developers were just purchased is a good thing?
I think a bunch of people review bombing this game because the developers agreed to this with one of the conditions being that the game would be removed from Steam is a good thing, yes. Albeit the game probably deserves to be review bombed for numerous other reasons, including its monetization.

Psyonix has made one massively popular game, and a large reason for its success was the Steam community.

Deleted member 873

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
Epic is like that beautiful, materialistic girl that promises you so much but in actual fact takes so much away from you when you start committing. Your friends admire her and start justifying why she is a keeper. And when you realize it's too late because of the commitment, you probably find it hard to back out (and buy more titles in the Epic sense).

Steam is like that decent woman, whom you thought was just average and ditched for the next better one. Then you start missing her and all the minuscule details that make her the complete waifu package.
What kind of incel fantasy.

Women aren't objects, pos

Cup O' Tea?

Nov 2, 2017
So people who bought Rocket League on Steam are basically just screwed by this? We just straight up lose a game we purchased? Man this digital future sucks ass.

I like Psyonix but I'm not buying RL on EGS. If I get desperate I'll just go back to the console ghetto and play it on PS4.

Bricktop

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So people who bought Rocket League on Steam are basically just screwed by this? We just straight up lose a game we purchased? Man this digital future sucks ass.

I like Psyonix but I'm not buying RL on EGS. If I get desperate I'll just go back to the console ghetto and play it on PS4.

Why would you be screwed or lose the game? When games are removed from future sales they don't take away copies purchased. Literally nothing will change for you.

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017

You will still be able to use it on steam and I'm pretty sure existing owners get a copy on Epic games. Wouldn't make sense otherwise,

Kurt Russell

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

No. At first some outlets reported that the game would be taken off Steam once it launches on the EGS, but that wouldn't mean you'd lose access to it (unless they also killed server access for Steam users, which would be a dick move that I doubt they'd be willing to do, since no one would defend it). Now they are saying that the game will still be up for sale on Steam after the EGS version goes up.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017

Apparently there are no announced plans on what will happen to the Steam version, yet. MS still sells Minecraft everywhere.
But considering how aggressive Epic has been with the exclusivity deals it's easy to assume that RL will be exclusive to EGS.

InspectorJones

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Good luck Psyonix, Hope Tim Sweeney doesn't have you crunching forever on Rocket League 2.

I just don't understand, Rocket League is fucking huge on Steam, so Epic must have really wanted them bad and forked over an even bigger stack of cash. As someone with 200 hours in Rocket League since day 1, I won't be following Pysonix either wherever their future games may end up (Or even Rocket League if they do try to gimp the Steam version eventually).

Zarathustra

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, if this goes the way Epic wants it, in a few months they'll make it an EGS exclusive and will find a way for people to transfer their data and progress over from Steam to EGS.

Kinda sucks, but that's life.

Captain of Outer Space

Come Sale Away With Me
Oct 28, 2017
Real talk though I've always wanted a game mode with 11 v 11 with a much larger pitch. Thought that would be super fun. Unfortunately, Psyonix has been far too busy with the scummy loot crates and rocket pass to bother with adding new fields or gameplay modes the past year or so
Except that players have complained about the bigger and oddly-shaped arenas for years when they were added. Now all of the arenas are the same basic style because of them.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, if this goes the way Epic wants it, in a few months they'll make it an EGS exclusive and will find a way for people to transfer their data and progress over from Steam to EGS.

Kinda sucks, but that's life.
Yeah it is what it is, it won't be the last time this happens either, so we just have to get used to it I guess. Sony has bought developers in the past, MS has bought developers recently, it happens. This just seems worse since the EGS exclusivity deals brought up bad blood and many of us hasn't adjusted to the idea that Epic is a new major player in PC gaming yet. I haven't even visited EGS once yet.

Complicated

Oct 29, 2017
Except that players have complained about the bigger and oddly-shaped arenas for years when they were added. Now all of the arenas are the same basic style because of them.

They've never done a much larger standard shaped pitch, and they've had the horrible 4v4 mode stuck on regular sized standard maps since the game came out. The game sorely needs an option for when you've got three friends who want to play. A 4v4 mode on a standard map like 150% of regulation size with more boost pickups on the map would be amazing.

Anyways it's always wild to see how off the wall people get over anything Epic these days. I hope Psyonix gets everything they need, and Rocket League grows as it deserves to.

nomis

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
people spouting nonsense like "now RL devs will have to crunch" because they read some articles about Anthem and Fortnite cosmetic creation, and supporting review bombing make me want to play it on the EGS instead of Steam even though I don't have to

Captain of Outer Space

Come Sale Away With Me
Oct 28, 2017
They've never done a much larger standard shaped pitch, and they've had the horrible 4v4 mode stuck on regular sized standard maps since the game came out. The game sorely needs an option for when you've got three friends who want to play. A 4v4 mode on a standard map like 150% of regulation size with more boost pickups on the map would be amazing.

Anyways it's always wild to see how off the wall people get over anything Epic these days. I hope Psyonix gets everything they need, and Rocket League grows as it deserves to.
Badlands was a much larger map than everything else in the game when it was called Wasteland and got shrunk/standardized about two years later. It wasn't big enough to make 11v11 work, but it was a bigger arena. Tokyo had weird shelves on the sides of the arena and some of the Rocket Labs maps had weird shapes for people to try out before abandoning that stuff.

Oct 25, 2017
Taiwan
people spouting nonsense like "now RL devs will have to crunch" because they read some articles about Anthem and Fortnite cosmetic creation, and supporting review bombing make me want to play it on the EGS instead of Steam even though I don't have to

This is common, as in blatantly uneducated statements, on both sides TBH. So yea, dunno what yea gonna do about that.

Complicated

Oct 29, 2017
Badlands was a much larger map than everything else in the game when it was called Wasteland and got shrunk/standardized about two years later. It wasn't big enough to make 11v11 work, but it was a bigger arena. Tokyo had weird shelves on the sides of the arena and some of the Rocket Labs maps had weird shapes for people to try out before abandoning that stuff.
Badlands was not that much larger and it was also cylindrical on the bottom instead of a flat playing surface. The standard map configuration is what makes the game flow well, and why the non-standard maps thankfully got kicked out of regular play. They just need a bigger one to allow spacing between more players and have more boost for all the players to go after.

hydrophilic attack

Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Epic is like that beautiful, materialistic girl that promises you so much but in actual fact takes so much away from you when you start committing. Your friends admire her and start justifying why she is a keeper. And when you realize it's too late because of the commitment, you probably find it hard to back out (and buy more titles in the Epic sense).

Steam is like that decent woman, whom you thought was just average and ditched for the next better one. Then you start missing her and all the minuscule details that make her the complete waifu package.
if this is a satire post, extremely well done

if it's sincere, yikes

Captain of Outer Space

Come Sale Away With Me
Oct 28, 2017
Badlands was not that much larger and it was also cylindrical on the bottom instead of a flat playing surface. The standard map configuration is what makes the game flow well, and why the non-standard maps thankfully got kicked out of regular play. They just need a bigger one to allow spacing between more players and have more boost for all the players to go after.
But a huge map would be a non-standard map. You're arguing against your own wishes.

Rigbones

Oct 25, 2017

I'm fine with all the maps in the normal ranked playlists being a standardized size and shape. Wish they'd add a few more themes in there still, but I'm mostly happy. What I'm talking about is stuff outside of the standard ranked 3x3 stuff. I just think the 4x4 map should be scaled larger. And a huge pitch (again, same shape just scaled up) for 11 v 11 is a personal pipe dream of mine. They also used to add in gameplay modes to spice things up every once in a while. Hoops, Snowday, Rumble, and Dropshot. Now its been over two years since dropshot and nothing really new in that time. I understand they don't want to split the userbase with too many extra modes, but the game was more interesting IMO when they did release new modes.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Ehm, the title says it's staying now but the tweet in the threadmark got deleted. So they backtracked from the backtrack?

So, what now?

Demacabre

Nov 20, 2017
Ehm, the title says it's staying now but the tweet in the threadmark got deleted. So they backtracked from the backtrack?

So, what now?

Idk

Much like Tim Sweeney, anything Epic PR says is opportunistic in the moment and subject to change daily. There will be people telling you how this is good for you though to fill in the blanks. And those reasons are opportunistic in the moment and subject to change daily. But that's PR. And the Real World. And you deal with it cause of multibillion dollar companies. Don't think. Just consume.

Jibbed

Oct 27, 2017
People saying 'RIP Rocket League' need to get their heads out of their asses.

This is HUGE for Rocket League.

There are going to be tens of millions of very young gamers who have an Epic account solely to play Fortnite, don't have Steam installed or even know what Rocket League is.

The exposure alone could really prolong the life of the game IMO.

PS9

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
"Bring Rocket League to new audiences" aka "get ready to score some goals in Fortnite"

NO!R

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
User Banned (1 Month): Trolling and Misrepresenting Other Users' Arguments Over Multiple Posts; Hostility and a Long History of Similar Behavior
This Epic drama shit strikes me as so pedantic in that typical "gamer" way.

"Oh, no. Fuck you, guys. I'm gonna shit on you and bad mouth you from now on because you made a business move I don't like! Fuck your job security! Now I have to click on a different window now, and my comfy features are gone... and ..and now I have to give money to another faceless publisher? Fuck you! MuH vIdYaGaMe CoNsUmEr RiGhTs!!!1"

Anyway, good luck to Psyonix on their future and the future of RL.

voOsh

Apr 5, 2018
There are going to be tens of millions of very young gamers who have an Epic account solely to play Fortnite, don't have Steam installed or even know what Rocket League is.

The exposure alone could really prolong the life of the game IMO.

Instead of being depressed about the situation I've decided to take this view as well. If Psyonix struck a deal where they keep autonomy within their company this may lead to good things.

"Oh, no. Fuck you, guys. I'm gonna shit on you and bad mouth you from now on because you made a business move I don't like! Fuck your job security! Now I have to click on a different window now, and my comfy features are gone... and ..and now I have to give money to another faceless publisher? Fuck you! MuH vIdYaGaMe CoNsUmEr RiGhTs!!!1"

You're embarrassing yourself. Stop it.

Subutai

Metal Face DOOM
Oct 25, 2017

Fucking yikes all over this post.

Sandersson

Banned
Feb 5, 2018

I dont know why you need to post in such bad faith. You are like a random alt-right youtuber who finds the dumbest hot take he/she can attribute to the "left" and rail against that as a general sentiment. You are literally poisoning the well.

Dr. Ludwig

Oct 31, 2017

Don't worry, your post is far more embarrassing.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've said as much in the OT thread, I am not particularly interested in the Epic Store aspect of it, but I am slightly worried about how Epic will handle the game from now on. Hopefully they allow them to do whatever the fuck they want because it's clearly working (game is constantly in the top 10 on Xbox and PlayStation alike). The thing is, while Fortnite and Rocket League share a lot of monetization schemes (lootboxes, passes, solo cosmetic DLCs, time limited events for unique unlocks, etc.), the latter is a much more player-friendly entity. The pass progress is a lot quicker here, the individual DLCs are relatively cheap (3-4 bucks at worst, Fortnite has skins at 20 bucks too), the game now has challenges but they don't involve unnatural and game-breaking ways of playing (Fortnite has shit like finding letters on the map, Rocket League at worst has you use a specific skin or score x number of goals or something, stuff you can do naturally therefore), Rocket League has a fair trading system as opposed to Fortnite which has none, both have daily bonuses but Rocket League's stacks for a week even if you don't log in while Fortnite only stacks to up to 3 days and only if you actually log in, and so on.

Both games are into player engagement, but Fortnite requires an insane amount of grinding (and/or money) to unlock the cool things, whereas Rocket League has been A LOT more player-friendly and feasible. It's week 2 in the Rocket League pass and I'm already basically done with it - the same is quite literally impossible to achieve in Fortnite because of the way it's done. I really, really hope Epic doesn't murder the game's monetization and progression system, because it's my favourite game right now but I don't want it to become an obsession to keep up with, which is what Fortnite has been pushing.

NO!R

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I dont know why you need to post in such bad faith. You are like a random alt-right youtuber who finds the dumbest hot take he/she can attribute to the "left" and rail against that as a general sentiment. You are literally poisoning the well.

Literally, what the fuck.

Edit:

Actually, let me engage. Where's the bad faith? What am I purposefully missing? Go ahead educate me.

You're embarrassing yourself. Stop it
Don't worry, your post is far more embarrassing.

Let me see. Hmm. Nope. I'm feeling no such embarrassment.