• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
Netflix is worth more than Disney right now.

giphy.gif

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Epic haven't even gotten the features they wanted implemented last month in. Like hell they're ever going to have a system for mod support.
sure reads nice though. when XCOM 3 or Age of Empires 4 are revealed to be EGS exclusive, people can just remind each other that Epic totally said they'll be bringing mod support someday, and that'll soften the blow, right? except to those of us who don't actually expect Epic to follow through on that, because nice words capable of obfuscating their actions seem to hold more value to Epic than feature parity does

Oct 25, 2017
Tampa
The heavy curation might be out of necessity. Sergey mentioned that they can only add so many games to the EGS per week. I don't think EGS actually has the capacity for a high volume of new games like Steam or the console storefronts.

Perhaps so but once again for those who missed it, EGS can only pluck so many titles via deal or buyout. Menawhile, the EGS hasn't gotten MK 11, DMC V, Risk of Rain 2, Sekiro, RE 2 off the top of my head. There is always going to be games on Steam, exclusive games, which is why Valve doesn't need to pay for that at current juncture.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The heavy curation might be out of necessity. Sergey mentioned that they can only add so many games to the EGS per week. I don't think EGS actually has the capacity for a high volume of new games like Steam or the console storefronts.

Ehh, like a lot of what they say, it sounds like kind of bullshit, and also something that should have clear solutions in the works.

SamWilson

Alt account
Banned
Mar 14, 2019
This is honestly the ideal situation, but if a RL2 were to ever happen, it's not getting the PS+ launch treatment.

Yeah, I wouldn't figure it would though. Almost no games ever launch with PS+/GWG. It was an incredibly rare situation that worked tremendously well to boost their numbers and get word of mouth going.

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
For those who care, Disney has like 5x the net worth of Netflix currently, if not more.

Fair. I gotta wonder how they deal with this though. I don't think buying exclusives gets you customer loyalty. And nobody can afford to pay for every single major release. Not even Fortnite money can do that forever. And I don't think producing games does it either. Blizzard and EA and Ubisoft can produce all the cool games they want and even make them exclusive to their platform, my purchases on their platform will still be by mandate, not by choice. Being in the game development business doesn't secure your place in the game store business for anything but your own games, and that's obviously not what Valve wants Steam to be. People keep talking about how this competition will motivate Valve to make better business choices, but I don't know what those business choices are supposed to be besides store improvements.

I think they'll be just fine, they haven't really overextended themselves that much at all. I think we're going to see a really heavy bidding war for studios/content very soon, what with Google entering the fray, Epic coming to kill, and Amazon/Apple poking around and kicking the tires to see if they wanna jump in. Valve's best bet is probably to keep doing what they've been doing, which is just focus on themselves/acquire boutique studios like Campo Santo to push the prestige up.

Cels

Oct 26, 2017
what's the point of delisting the game from steam if they're still going to support the existing steam userbase? assuming steam players will get all the future content and features on par with people on EGS.

Twister

Feb 11, 2019
If I only play RL on PS4, will this affect me in any way? I know there are many privacy concerns with EGS, would those also carry over to the console versions now that Epic owns the studio or are games sandboxed in a way that makes spying on users harder than with a PC launcher? (Sorry for my ignorance)

freakybj

Oct 26, 2017
If I only play RL on PS4, will this affect me in any way? I know there are many privacy concerns with EGS, would those also carry over to the console versions now that Epic owns the studio or are games sandboxed in a way that makes spying on users harder than with a PC launcher? (Sorry for my ignorance)
I think the probability of console players being adversely impacted is slim to none. The extra cash Psyonix is getting should theoretically lead to more and better content.

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017

Not for a long time, and I'm gonna guess the main change is going to be them converting Rocket League accounts into Epic Accounts and I just realized why they bought this studio holy shit that's millions of users right out the cut

jrDev

Banned
Mar 2, 2018
I still stand by it, all of these practices from Epic are really turning me off from this platform and making it unappealing for my tastes.
I fully understand that it's an extremely unpopular sentiment to have because of all of PCs pluses etc but, i'm just not a fan of the PC landscape at the moment.
What I meant was that consoles ecosystem has these things or worse (exclusivity and not s lot of the features people tout for PC storefronts) so saying what you said made no sense...

Zero-ELEC

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
México

This does not clarify if it is going to be delisted at all. In fact the very specific wording (usage of present tense, assurance that anyone who owns it can still play it) implies the very opposite.

In fact, nothing that Epic or Psyonix have said since the original report (that the game will no longer be available for purchase from Steam after it launches in the EGS) has contradicted it.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Epic's next Infinity Stone is Riot Games.
I'm thinking it'll be something PC-specific, so Riot Games is a good pick.
Watch them try and buy Paradox or Firaxis (or exclusivity to any of their major franchises), without even having a mod distribution and management platform in place. That'd be the day the conversation really turns to shit

Last edited:

Complicated

Oct 29, 2017
It's a meaner comparison that it sounds lol

It's more IMO Valve seems a bit lost in the weeds/dropping serious coin on things that might not pay off yet (that massive Linux focus hasn't paid off yet but could, in 5-10 years, heavy VR focus, etc), but forgot how to secure the bag in house, which was Blockbuster's doom. I think they're going to rev up in the next year or so, so it's definitely not 1/1.

I think if they wanted to nab Psyonix they definitely could've, and I'm gonna hazard a guess that Google and Epic out there creepin' on any studio that might wanna sell
I think the more obvious comparison is Microsoft and Sony this gen. Valve has been doing weird things with VR, motion control, linux, etc; and there aren't many people interested in that stuff. They're content to let games flow onto their platform as they will without worrying about it. Epic is just giving people games games games, and are building up their portfolio. Not in the slow years-long way that Sony did with internal studios, but it seems to be working either way from what we can tell so far.

elzeus

Oct 30, 2017
I could see Epic getting a few more GaaS IPs and making a universal battlepass that covers all the games.

Oct 31, 2017
The Blocc
So....what exactly happens to this game and all the DLC I purchased over the years thinking that the company I've been loyal to as a customer for over 350 hours would you know, be less shit?

Bricktop

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I see the review bombing has already started, so pathetic.

So....what exactly happens to this game and all the DLC I purchased over the years thinking that the company I've been loyal to as a customer for over 350 hours would you know, be less shit?

They're shit because they were purchased? And nothing happens to your game and DLC, play it as you always have...lol.

demondance

Oct 27, 2017
Valve is less Netflix and more Blockbuster in this scenario tbh

I don't get how EGS is the Netflix to Valve's Blockbuster when EGS is the lesser service and simply happens to be buying up exclusives.

It's more like Steam is Netflix and EGS is CBS All Access, like yeah, they got the new Star Trek so some people are going to get in on that, it's not exactly a revolution in service

MH MD

Oct 25, 2017
The Update to the thread have a deleted tweet now so i am confused if it is even real

water_wendi

Oct 25, 2017
Epic is like that beautiful, materialistic girl that promises you so much but in actual fact takes so much away from you when you start committing. Your friends admire her and start justifying why she is a keeper. And when you realize it's too late because of the commitment, you probably find it hard to back out (and buy more titles in the Epic sense).

Steam is like that decent woman, whom you thought was just average and ditched for the next better one. Then you start missing her and all the minuscule details that make her the complete waifu package.
FyoHmso.gif

Ultraviolence

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Epic is like that beautiful, materialistic girl that promises you so much but in actual fact takes so much away from you when you start committing. Your friends admire her and start justifying why she is a keeper. And when you realize it's too late because of the commitment, you probably find it hard to back out (and buy more titles in the Epic sense).

Steam is like that decent woman, whom you thought was just average and ditched for the next better one. Then you start missing her and all the minuscule details that make her the complete waifu package.
giphy.gif

Carbon

Deploying the stealth Cruise Missile
Oct 27, 2017
I'm thinking it'll be something PC-specific, so Riot Games is a good pick.
Watch them try and buy Paradox or Firaxis (or exclusivity to any of their major franchises), without even having a mod distribution and management platform in place. That'd be the day the conversation really turns to shit
2K is already in bed with Epic, so exclusivity for the next set of Firaxis titles almost seems like a foregone conclusion.
I guess I could see them going for Paradox, but that's a lot of cash to drop on a pretty niche developer/publisher with a mostly hardcore fanbase.

jrDev

Banned
Mar 2, 2018
Nah, I'm honestly not interested in supporting Epic directly in any fashion at this point. Obviously I won't stop buying Unreal Engine games, though.
But you still will be supporting them at the end of the day, what difference does it make to Epic, your spending dollars still got them paid lol...

shem

Oct 25, 2017

Can you write one of these for the gay posters reading the thread? Thanks.

Nome

Designer / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
2K is already in bed with Epic, so exclusivity for the next set of Firaxis titles almost seems like a foregone conclusion.
I guess I could see them going for Paradox, but that's a lot of cash to drop on a pretty niche developer/publisher with a mostly hardcore fanbase.
Paradox would be a smart buy if Epic wanted to target that particular audience and really corner that market. Fortnite's daily US revenue is several times bigger than Paradox's annual revenue.

Nov 8, 2017
I would say if Epic wants to scoop up a dev, Harebrained Schemes is right there

Scooped up by Paradox last year. Paradox also grabbed a stake in Hardsuit during the Vampire development.

Between THQ Nordic, Paradox, Microsoft, Tencent and now Epic I guess, the number of independent studios (except for indies) is getting very very low.

Deleted member 9100

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I will be super interested when in a few years the price paid for this acquisition finally gets revealed.

As many others will agree, I don't like epic buying them out. But at the same time, I'm glad that developers that made a truly amazing game are getting a great payout.

faraany3k

Banned
Apr 15, 2019
User banned (permanent): troll account
Epic is not responsible.
Psyonix is not responsible.
It is Valve that acted so high and mighty for so long. Seriously no new games for years. Some old mods can take you so far. I mean in this day and age, Valve acted like nothing is going to happen and they will sit happy with CSGo and Dota updates.

n00bs7ay3r

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Aug 21, 2018

I don't even know how to begin to explain how problematic this post is...

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
Paradox would be a smart buy if Epic wanted to target that particular audience and really corner that market. Fortnite's daily US revenue is several times bigger than Paradox's annual revenue.
man if you ever wanted to see an insanely loyal fanbase abandon and dry up an entire revenue stream over night then yeah that's a really great idea

there is no way anyone at paradox would think going epic for anything would be a good idea, no one is THAT detached from their customers