• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
"The statement reads a bit vague as to what will happen to Rocket League on Steam after it arrives on the Epic Games Store later this year. The wording suggests that while it may not be available on Steam, Rocket League would still be supported. "

So nothing has really been confirmed or changed. The concern remains.
Continue reading:
We reached out to Epic Games and Psyonix who have offered this clarification: "We are continuing to sell Rocket League on Steam, and have not announced plans to stop selling the game there." An Epic spokesperson added, "Rocket League remains available for new purchasers on Steam, and long-term plans will be announced in the future."

While it's not "we are definitely going to keep selling Rocket League on Steam indefinitely", it is an improvement on the original statement, which did heavily imply that Rocket League was going to be removed from Steam as soon as it launches on the Epic Games Store (and, judging by Segey's twitter, was most likely the plan).

So, we shall see. Either way, if you're interested in playing Rocket League on Linux, I'd still say nab the game sharpish.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
I don't see anywhere where Epic says they won't stop selling it. What an unfortunate title edit, really. If anything, this just fits more with what The Verge said.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
Epic Games has acquired Rocket League developer Psyonix [Up: Rocket League will NOT be taken off Steam][Up:Up: Rocket League will not NOT be taken off Steam][Up:Up:Up: Rocket League will be steampunk] [READ STAFF POST, THREADMARK, THE MANGA]

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Continue reading:

While it's not "we are definitely going to keep selling Rocket League on Steam indefinitely", it is an improvement on the original statement, which did heavily imply that Rocket League was going to be removed from Steam as soon as it launches on the Epic Games Store (and, judging by Segey's twitter, was most likely the plan).

So, we shall see. Either way, if you're interested in playing Rocket League on Linux, I'd still say nab the game sharpish.
Indeed we shall. Hopefully they don't set such a new, ugly precedent. It's really uncalled for to stop sale of the game on Steam. Just make RL2 exclusive to EGS. That's perfectly acceptable given the game has not been announced and will undoubtedly benefit from Epic money as it is developed.

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
e38a19d90231.gif
I love how we have a cool gif like that for acquisitions lol bursted out laughing 😂

Congrats to the team I guess, if that's what they really wanted.

Joffy

Oct 30, 2017
Argh wtf, I had to reread that headline multiple times to make sure I wasn't misunderstanding. That sucks big time and I'm not even a big detractor of the store.
They would if they could.
The reason for that being that EpicGames is literally not capable of selling them on their own sorry storefront because of how shit it is.

That is too funny. How on earth does intend to compete with Steam when they can only add a handful of games a week. This store is nearly 6 months old now, how is that even a thing.

Demacabre

Nov 20, 2017
Epic Games has acquired Rocket League developer Psyonix [Up: Rocket League will NOT be taken off Steam][Up:Up: Rocket League will not NOT be taken off Steam][Up:Up:Up: Rocket League will be steampunk] [READ STAFF POST, THREADMARK, THE MANGA]
Fat4all

I am still slightly pissed by this thread but god damn do you make me laugh sometimes. Good show!

Last edited:

etta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've never not purchased a game or any product from a seller out of sheer disgust from their dirty practices. Until now.

Ghostwalker

Oct 30, 2017
It's totally coming off Steam eventually. That's the way Epic operates, why would they change?

I think Epic would love to take it off Steam.

However I am not sure if they can, looking at all the branded deals that are Rocket Legue has it's DLC and I expect they will need to get concent from all them to move the game of Steam.

Josecitox

Oct 25, 2017
Argentina
Lets play this game.

EGS achieves market dominance. As a result, they decide to raise the prices on video games to $100. Nobody buys the games on EGS because they are now too expensive. EGS loses money. A lot of money. The developer loses money. The publisher loses money. Just about everyone involved loses so much money that people start being laid off, and then you have a domino affect that a massive flop starts.

That leads EGS to listing games at $100 and not selling very many. And the developers behind them can't pay their light bill. So how do they remedy this? Well either the exclusivity with Epic covers them entirely, or they pull out and sell their game *checks notes* on another platform where people will buy their game.

Like. These scenarios don't exist in the realm of reality. Y'all are so cynical you cannot even perceive reality.

Exactly.

God forbid some people here ever own a business.

kmg90

Feb 20, 2018
They would if they could.
The reason for that being that EpicGames is literally not capable of selling them on their own sorry storefront because of how shit it is.

Adding games (including their own) delays updates for other games.....

What year is it?

Really puts confidence in using their store.

That's what you get with a low store cut... Shit storefront.

It's why I believe the 30% cut for steam is fair... Valve offers a lot features for developers (and users)

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Argh wtf, I had to reread that headline multiple times to make sure I wasn't misunderstanding. That sucks big time and I'm not even a big detractor of the store.

That is too funny. How on earth does intend to compete with Steam when they can only add a handful of games a week. This store is nearly 6 months old now, how is that even a thing.
well...massive curation appears to be the plan.

My guess is that EGS will only ever target relatively heavy hitters. AA and AAA games. Even the indie games that make the cut will be among the biggest indie game releases. All things considered, I'm surprised they missed Risk of Rain 2, but I assume EGS doesn't really do early access games like that (Unreal Tournament notwithstanding). But yea, they may become the defacto place to play a fair amount of really big-name titles. In fact, that is already true to some degree with Fortnite, Metro (kinda), Division 2 (kinda), and Borderlands 3.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
User banned (3 days): hostility and antagonizing another member + history of infractions
Exactly.

God forbid some people here ever own a business.
God forbid consumers are critical of a business that has repeatedly presented itself as anti-consumer and hostile to the existing culture of PC gaming while offering next to no advantages for said consumers and competes by removing choice.

Oops sorry. Didn't mean to interrupt your shilling. Carry on, soldier. o7

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
So this means no one can complain about Rocket League 2 being exclusive to Steam right? Right?

Edit: I meant EGS, I was in a hurry to get to class when I typed this :)

Last edited:

Deleted member 22585

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
EU
Interesting move. Rocket League is one of my favorite games ever, love it so much. I don't have a problem even if it goes to the epic store as long as I can take my progress with me.
Curious to see what it will mean for the games future.

chadskin

Oct 27, 2017
Perhaps Valve should disable the ability to buy the game on Steam until Epic figures out what it wants to do.

P A Z

Oct 27, 2017
Barnsley, UK
Lmao @ people buying the backtrack.

The clarification is perfectly worded, a quick surface skim and it looks like they've listened, read between the lines and it basically says "we haven't decided yet how and when we're going to do the thing you know we're going to do. Stay tuned!"

Courage

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
because consumers lose out on growth of overall featuresets for games. Devs lose out on featuresets for them that simplify game development. Valve has reinvested their cut greatly back into its stores featuresets in ways that have greatly benefited developers. Steamworks API is miles ahead of any other distribution and hosting platform.

Consumers of course lose the most here, but there has been testimonies (on this forum even) from devs that steam's cut has been justified with how much they provide.
I'd be curious to read these tesimonies then, because from what I've seen, many indie devs would still prefer a higher cut than anything else.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Perhaps Valve should disable the ability to buy the game on Steam until Epic figures out what it wants to do.
No reason to be petty. That would only hurt consumers, which Valve is clearly not interested in doing.

Lmao @ people buying the backtrack.

The clarification is perfectly worded, a quick surface skim and it looks like they've listened, read between the lines and it basically says "we haven't decided yet how and when we're going to do the thing you know we're going to do. Stay tuned!"
FWIW, the mod did correct the thread title. Now...well, some reading and conjecture is required. Either way, we'll find out soon enough. People who want it on Steam and don't have it should probably make a buying decisions sooner rather than later.

voOsh

Apr 5, 2018
I'd be curious to read these tesimonies then, because from what I've seen, many indie devs would still prefer a higher cut than anything else.

Most indie devs have no way to get onto EGS right now. Everything is hand-selected by Epic. So far it seems like you need an established property or have a portfolio of well-performing games to get onto EGS.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Most indie devs have no way to get onto EGS right now. Everything is hand-selected by Epic. So far it seems like you need an established property or have a portfolio of well-performing games to get onto EGS.
If it weren't for the situation with Metro and Borderlands 3, I think that model would go over really well.

A curated store where only some of the very best games will appear, free of confusion and clutter. Such a model will obviously miss many diamonds in the rough, but at least most games would be pretty solid.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
At this point, SteamSpy is conflict of interest to Sergey
Yeah, I have said several times that it is quite big of an ethical problem to be earning money from what can be basically considered spying on a rival. The guy should have spun out SteamSpy and gave it to a friend / colleague to follow on once he signed up as lead PR guy in EGS (or at least when the store was unveilled).

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
This game has been getting better and better since it released, for sure. I'm dreading the day it starts going downhill and the golden times are over. I've ignored all of the money making shenanigans and so long as they can keep that stuff ignorable then fine.

Off topic though, has anyone had issues since the latest round of updates on PS4 Pro? I was sure one update completely messed up the game for me, so much that I fucked with my controller settings and it took me ages to finely tune them back to how it felt before. Game still feels off slightly and I feel like it stutters or even skips frames or something. Just feels a bit less solid as it did as of a couple of weeks ago.

Godfather

Game on motherfuckers
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
From my own perspective it's not a huge deal, but it's more a matter of principle and concern regarding the continuous support of the Steam-version.

One thing I know for sure would get annoying is when/if a friend eventually gains interest in Rocket League (or whatever the case may be) in the future, we'll have to invite and communicate outside of the platform we're playing on since I can't invite them via Steam and I can't chat with them via Steam. It may be a minor inconvenience in the grand scheme of things but it certainly impacts the way I'm playing and purchasing games.
To be fair to RL they did introduce a rocket ID for cross platform partying that works well so far.

z1ggy

Oct 25, 2017
Argentina
Sergey doesnt care about ethics and whatnot, he wont leave behind those free 14k dollars per month from steamspy patreon

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Must have been a nice sum and opportunity to grow the IP, can't imagine the devs aren't already minted from the success?