• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
No on is disputing that he wants to be competitive. Saying that they want to put Steam out of business is extreme exaggeration.
Everything they're doing has been done to coerce Steam customers specifically over to EGS while doing as much damage to Steam as a platform as possible. It's kind of stunning that you don't see that. It's not benign competition. These are targeted efforts to damage Steam, so that Epic may sling around their Fortnite money to fill the resultant hole with their presence. Epic just wants people paying them a cut instead of Valve (of course, but that's a far cry from the pretend altruism Epic wants you to perceive) and EVERYTHING they've done up to this point has been in service of that, and in service of damaging Valve's position specifically.

Deleted member 40102

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 19, 2018
User Banned (3 Days): Trolling; Accumulated Infractions
I'm disappointed in Valve more than anything at this point...
Yeah pretty much.... Valve the one that is slacking and people don't realize. Epic doing their business to expand and other devs getting shit ton of money from epic. Its win win for both while Valve is chilling.

Deleted member 11626

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They can't beat Steam, so they gotta start going after the bigger titles. Epic is the culmination of everything that's ever been wrong with the gaming industry. Psyonix is celebrating right now, until Epic starts demanding they update the game faster and pump out more MTX incentives. They ought to see what's been written about the FortNite team

What rhymes with repetition that we will hear a lot about in repetition in defense of whatever slimey thing comes from this?

sTeAm Is A mOnOpOlY aNd SoMeThInG nEeDs To Be DoNe AbOuT tHeM

meowtor

Oct 25, 2017
this is upsetting. I'm glad this could mean more resources for rocket league (absolutely love the game) but halting sales on other platforms rubs me the wrong way :/

Deleted member 51691

Banned
Jan 6, 2019
WHAT?! Epic is free to make as many studio acquisitions as it wants to, but pulling its games off Steam is a shitty move. Microsoft didn't remove Minecraft from non-Microsoft platforms when it acquired Mojang.

jariw

Oct 27, 2017
FYI You do not lose the game if you already own it. Valve (outside of a handful of instances) always make sure of that.
Of course, Psyonix could stop the game functioning some how, but as per usual PC player will find way around that

Rocket League is useless unless you've updated to the current version of the game. Do we know if Steam owners are going to get the updates as usual?

abracadaver

Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Some indie developer should just create a rocket league clone now and release it on Steam. The player base will move to that instead of switching to EGS

Spaltazar

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
At this point, yes, but Epic shows no sign of slowing down. They'll need to react somehow.
their best way to compete would be to get a nother hallmark multiplayer game that just explodes in popularity and puts focus back on them. but its something that you can't really reproduce easily, there is a lot of luck and right timing involved also. artifact being an absolute non event proably shook the peepz at valve

xMM4nsonx

Nov 1, 2017
I hate Epic Games. I mean, why you need to bully the PC gaming market like this? There's no reason to make Rocket League an exclusive of one store. It's only an aggressive behaviour.

Deleted member 29682

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
So what does this mean for the Linux version? EGS doesn't support Linux yet, will it just not be available anymore?

pink

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
steam has halo ... which hasn't been announced for epic thus far

that'd be huge for valve

BrutalInsane

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Steam should just cut off the storepage of these companies that are using it for free promo, ie Outer Worlds. You want to go timed exclusive, well, best of luck to you.

Do something.

Judge

Vault-Tec Seal of Approval
Oct 25, 2017
Imagine if MS removed games from studios they purchased such as Minecraft and Hellblade from PlayStation (on the contrary they actually ADDED platforms)? This is essentially what is happening lol.

Rocket League 2 being only on EGS? Sure. Removing it from STEAM? Bugger off with that

Click

Nov 22, 2017
How do I filter corporate shills from this forum? The willful cognitive dissonance is nauseating. Can't find the setting...

collige

Oct 31, 2017
If they stop updating the Steam version people will riot, so I doubt that'll happen. It's pretty fucking ironic that the game Valve literally packaged with the Steam controller with will be taken off Steam entirely.

In the Valley of Gods is also still coming to consoles even after Valve acquired the studio.
ItVoG was never announced for anything but PC. I made the same assumption too, but I checked the news releases.

Last edited:

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Eh, the whole good guy mentality in the video game industry will just get you the Ned Stark treatment in the end, at the very least they should pull a partnership with someone like Capcom, Microsoft did it & secured Capcom games for Games for Windows Live, which sucked but that's besides the point.
Epic saw how big DMCV, MHW & RE2 were on Steam, they will make a move sooner or later.
Valve doesn't even need to do that with Capcom, Square-Enix, and Microsoft. They already have a partnership in a way. Microsoft will have Halo on Steam without much pushing for it from Valve, and Capcom/Square-Enix just put their games on Steam because that seems to work. Square has an online store where they sell the MMORPGs FFXII and FFXIV and they still don't sell their own games or have their own launcher for the games that aren't MMORPGs.

Wintermute

Oct 27, 2017
China, which is one the biggest PC markets around.

As for payment methods, most of them are expensive in third world countries and Epic does not eat the costs like Steam does which make games either unobtainable for some or just expensive.

For example, EGS is available in my country, but I don't have a CC I rely on Steam gift cards for purchasing games. Hence I can't buy anything on EGS, same for my friends.

ok makes sense.

found this quote from an interview from march re egs in china. no idea how true it is. and yeah i think it's 100% bullshit for people to suddenly be unable to buy stuff because they cant pay a certain way.

here's the quote and article https://venturebeat.com/2019/03/25/...china-metro-exodus-backlash-and-mature-games/

One person asked the panel why the Epic Games Store isn't available in China yet. While the gaming industry there is worth $30 billion, the Chinese government is incredibly strict about what kind of games — especially games from foreign developers — can be legally sold in the country. Allison alluded to those challenges in his answer, adding that Epic's office in China makes it a more precarious situation for them.

"That's a complicated question. … The way our competitor operates offshore is not legal in China, and they don't have an office in China. We have employees there, so we are very sensitive to what is legal and what is is not — more for the benefit and safety of our staff. We just don't want to take any risks that can put them in any legal fire," said Allison.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
which countries isn't it available in? are there any in particular which seem super dumb not to be available in?

considering how much of steams purchases come from non-standard payment sources it seems absolutely fair that egs should be able to accept those payment sources too.

China.

Outside of games under the adult only tag (which is mostly hentai shovelware). Chinese users have access to completely uncensored games through Steam, No government or rating approval needed for a Steam release. They are the biggest (or 2nd biggest?) user base on Steam and a ton of developers have found massive success from chinese localizations. Being able to play uncensored games is a huge deal and Steam has made gaming so much better for this userbase.

EGS is actively blocked in China. If the game isn't available on Chinese storefronts like WeGame, You're shit out of luck unless you pirate. If it is, You get a censored version of the game that had to be approved by the government. Overall awful situation for them.

Morbius

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So what does this mean if you already own it on steam? Play this game daily with like 300 hours in.

Deleted member 18944

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You really think epic or Tim wants steam to exist? Corporations are not in the business to want competition they want to be the only one.

Look at Disney...

Again, literally nothing they are doing is so impacting to Steam that it goes out of business. This isn't like Disney. At all.

How is that extreme exaggeration ? It's basically the model EGS is embracing. 3rd party stores as of right now needs to have deals with Epic to sell EGS games. Wtf is that shit.

And that puts Steam out business how? What the fuck are you smoking?

Tim is aggressively making moves that hurt Steam specifically. If someone is punching you in the face over and over how do you know if they want to kill you or just beat you up a bit?

Yeah, that's how you compete. You make your offerings look better than the other guys. Somehow I cannot believe how many people think that they are even doing that in a successful manner. EGS doesn't even have a fucking search bar.

Everything they're doing has been done to coerce Steam customers specifically over to EGS while doing as much damage to Steam as a platform as possible. It's kind of stunning that you don't see that. It's not benign competition. These are targeted efforts to damage Steam, so that Epic may sling around their Fortnite money to fill the resultant hole with their presence. Epic just wants people paying them a cut instead of Valve (of course, but that's a far cry from the pretend altruism Epic wants you to perceive) and EVERYTHING they've done up to this point has been in service of that, and in service of damaging Valve's position specifically.

Yeah. That's how competition works. No on is disputing that.

I literally said that it is a gross exaggeration to say EGS wants Steam to go out of business. It's not even in the realm of possibility. I don't get how saying that is causing such a shit storm.

True Prophecy

Oct 28, 2017
Rocket League is useless unless you've updated to the current version of the game. Do we know if Steam owners are going to get the updates as usual?

They will per the press release. But I could see a future in which a "EGS edition" of the game comes out so they can phase out supporting the steam client.

Though that will depend how how far epics pettiness with valve will go.

Jroc

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
As always, if this forces Valve to reevaluate their current strategy and go back to a neglected fan-favourite franchise, then I support the competition.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
If they stop updating the Steam version people will riot, so I doubt that'll happen. It's pretty fucking ironic that the game Valve literally packaged with the Steam controller with will be taken off Steam entirely.

ItVoG was never announced for anything but PC. I made the same assumption too, but I checked the new releases.
Huh seems like it hasn't be announced/confirmed for anything than PC indeed. I just remember them tweeting to concerned people, but seems like it was about something else then. Thanks for the correction.

Edit: From their FAQ on their page
What platforms will the game release on?
In the Valley of Gods is in development for PC platforms (Windows, Mac, and Linux), but we haven't ruled out more platforms, including consoles. Follow us on Twitter and our development blog for news as it emerges.

nikasun :D

Oct 30, 2017
They will per the press release. But I could see a future in which a "EGS edition" of the game comes out so they can phase out supporting the steam client.

Though that will depend how how far epics pettiness with valve will go.
I hope that will never happen or that EGS will support Steam controllers and custom bindings, otherwise I am fucked.

voOsh

Apr 5, 2018
I literally said that it is a gross exaggeration to say EGS wants Steam to go out of business. It's not even in the realm of possibility. I don't get how saying that is causing such a shit storm.

You're confusing EGS *wanting* Steam to go out of business and EGS *thinking* they can force Steam out of business. Of course they WANT Steam to go out but obviously they know it's not likely. This is the case in most any product sales business, no? How does Steam still being around benefit EGS?

Dandy

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure all of the employees at Psyonix are looking forward to their new 80-100 hour work weeks!

Deleted member 5596

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The thing is Epic is clearly aiming for dominance, they are taking more and more aggressive steps and Valve didn't react, either becauae their horizontal structure is awful for these situations of a market quickly changing or their are unable to do so. In either case, they are basically leaving Epic a free road to steamroll.

Based on... what? He has never said his end goal is to literally end Steam lmao.
Uber never said their objective were to kill Taxis,but it is.