• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 1849

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Later this year Linux users won't be able to buy Rocket League anymore? Something something competition...
Yup, in 6 months the only way to buy RL on Linux is to run the Epic store through Lutris.

And then download the Windows version of RL and hope it runs, because Epic won't be selling the Linux version.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
The pulling from Steam thing just seems petty at this point. It's not like they're gonna stop supporting the millions of people who already play the game there are they?

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
Also, this seems like a big middle finger to the people who already bought the game.

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Nope, bzzzz, wrong. Steam made this game, the PS Plus thing nearly killed it.

Rocket League without Steam is a smoking crater of failure.
Rocket League launching on PS4/PC w/o PS Plus means it never gets that attention to begin with. Almost without a doubt, it goes over exactly like their last attempt at a car soccer game - decent reviews, but not enough players to stay sustainable.

Selling copies on Steam helped for sure, but so did selling copies on PlayStation after the PS Plus giveaway. And on Xbox and Switch as those platforms were added.

Valve did nothing for Rocket League other than be the storefront people accessed to buy it. I don't see why Psyonix is required to pledge loyalty to one storefront in particular.

Demacabre

Nov 20, 2017
Is it just as bad for MS/Nintendo/Sony/EA/etc to acquire first party studios? If not, why is this different?

Is it anti consumer that Naughty Dog was acquired by Sony?

Minecraft can still be played and is supported on other consoles after MS acquisition. The Outer Worlds will still be released on other consoles. The latter has not been released yet but MS didn't bar it from their competition even after the acquisition. Why? Cause we are learning right now MS isn't a scumbag like Epic is. Phil isn't just talk it is seeming. Tim is an outright hypocrite in the past or was projecting. MS hasn't limited choice for established and released properties after acquisitions.

jml

Mar 9, 2018
So I'm guessing I won't be able to buy DLC anymore if I have it on Steam, cool. This is good for gamers somehow.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
Psyonix CEO just eight months ago:

Welp, so much for that noble idea.
Money always reveal who you really are.

Besides the shitty practice of forcing consumers use their terrible storefront, I'm also worried for the developers. Epic is not only anti-consumer, but also anti-developer. Hope they can survive the endless crunch.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
17Fgk1u.png

Oct 27, 2017
Is it just as bad for MS/Nintendo/Sony/EA/etc to acquire first party studios? If not, why is this different?

Is it anti consumer that Naughty Dog was acquired by Sony?

PC gaming is an entirely different concept. PC is meant to be an open platform (If you don't believe me just ask TIm Sweeney, and we're seeing those choices get taken away from us.

It's especially hypocritical when you're a dev who has preached loudly about wanting to reach as large an audience as possible and fighting for crossplay, and now you ally yourself with a giant publisher who is fighting for the exact opposite.

HaNotsri

Usage of alt-account.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I hope they quit, take a long vacation and then starts a new studio when the quarantine ends. :-)

boontobias

Avenger
Apr 14, 2018
If I was the creator of Rocket League I'd take the cheque and tell the players to fuck off then go buy an island

Any sane person would

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can't actually remember a single instance where existing, released games were pulled from a platform following an acquisition.

It's still the same platform. PC. It's just going to be sold only on their storefront, which is free for all to download. Existing steam users will continue to be able to play their pre-existing copies on steam

There's no victim here.

Deleted member 9305

Oct 26, 2017
Would this warrant a class action lawsuit by users who purchased the game on Steam? Even if their license transfers to EGS, it's a lesser experience due to the clients lackluster feature set.

Tart Toter 9K

Oct 25, 2017
People saying Steam, PS+, etc. "made" Rocket League - no, just no. Did a lot of factors help out and play a part? Of course, but at the end of the day RL is successful because it's the greatest competitive game ever created. The game itself is reason #1 for the success Psyonix have seen.
Then why did the prequel, which was almost identical to Rocket League fail?

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
"Epic is just doing business. They shouldn't have to play nice. This is the aggressive stance Valve should do. " and other comment praising their big business bold move.

Meanwhile their own devs are coerced into working 100+ work weeks in perpetuity cause of Games as a Service.

Yep, let's applaud their bold business moves like this is fucking Fox Business News.

Seriously, anyone who says no one leans Right on this forum has never seen a poster defend Epic and their shit practices.
Crunch isn't a problem of GAAS. It's a problem of Fortnite.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People saying this is about money are not paying attention:

They had a big cheque in front of them before and they didn't take it because it was against their plan for the game. This is about what it's best for its community.
So when the community is a shell of what it was in a year because of this move I will be interested to see their "plan" than

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
Man, where was MS and their warchest?

At least with MS the game would remained on all platforms it released on.

Detail

Dec 30, 2018
Also, I think it's time we start calling publishers and developers out as well now.

This isn't just an Epic problem, this is greed from all parties.

Rocket League wouldn't even be what it is right now without Steam imo, they have no respect for the consumer clearly.

From this point forward I am not just boycotting Epic, I am boycotting any developer or publishers that chooses to use them exclusivly for their games.

Unkindled

Nov 27, 2018
If I learnt one thing from epic they don't do deal's once and be done with it, they are just going to keep doing this and timed exclusives now.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
I still don't think this strategy by EGS is a good one. They are getting some important games but I think long term this will hurt them. I'm not sure how exactly but I think it will. I think Fortnite money is allowing them to pay so much for these exclusives but nothing lasts forever even Fortnite. Maybe they know that so they are paying hand over fist to make the store relevant fast but without the juicy early access market it will be tough to unseat Steam.

As for Rocket League I have had it on Steam for as long as I can remember and I never play it so whatever.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
I normally am against all the moneyhatting that Epic has been doing to get games on their store, but I don't actually don't mind this one since they have actually outright purchased the studio instead of just bribing them to be exclusive. It's like why I have no issue with EA or Ubi games being exclusive to their own launcher.
Yeah like when Microsoft bought Minecraft and- oh wait.