• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 29, 2017
Making your own digital extras in an afternoon yo. I never liked how some crowd simulation software sell you their rigged characters separately.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Just wait until we get we Vactors, which will 100% happen in the next two decades. They don't age, they don't get hurt, they have no scandals that could turn into PR nightmares and directors have quite literally full control of the performance.

I can't see a future where Hollywood wouldn't be all over this. Once the uncanny valley is a thing of the past all bets are off
We're long past the uncanny valley of a team is given the proper time and resources.

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
Any announced upcoming games, with character customization, planning to take advantage of this tech?

KCroxtonJr

Oct 28, 2017
Man some of the replies here have me legitimately confused...this looks REALLY good.

How is this NOT photorealistic, and also why in the world would you compare hand crafted main characters from games like tLou2 which took months to create, to a character creator that can generate multiple characters in hours.

It's like I woke up in a world where AAA games like assassins creed valhalla never existed lol

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
A fully rigged character that is easily morphable and production ready with LODs that can be created in a few minutes/hours by a single person and people here compare that result to characters that took months and a full team of artists and techs to create?
Fanboys are something else.
This.

The tech here is astounding, character art is insanely time consuming and can often be a huge production bottleneck. If we can get this quality of characters, with LODs and rigs, in the time it takes to make a Fallout character.... That's an insane production benefit, and for smaller studios a real enabling power.
This, so much. It really raises the bar and should give many developers a much higher quality 'baseline' to work with. As already mentioned, it will probably still take great effort to get the specific details right.

Yeah. Talking about it other devs today, and we're all pretty astonished. For a project focusing on photo-realism, even something that gets you 60% of the way there with a model in a quarter of the time is a HUGE benefit. Hell, even for projects that aren't aiming for photo-realism it's a boon for bi-pedal humanoids.

I was going to say that this kind of tech normally ends up being useless in actual games, and is more interesting to look at most of the time, but looking a bit more at it I think it would be useful for generating background characters for sure. Assuming its easy to hook in with your own body meshes, and detail can be scaled down easily.

Considering that you get a full export, you should have the ability to change whatever.

"When you're happy with your human, you can download the asset via Quixel Bridge, fully rigged and ready for animation and motion capture in Unreal Engine, and complete with LODs. You'll also get the source data in the form of a Maya file, including meshes, skeleton, facial rig, animation controls, and materials."

Any announced upcoming games, with character customization, planning to take advantage of this tech?

This is less about character customization, and more about drastically cutting down the time spent in the character modeling pipeline.

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
The Unreal Engine tech is incredible.. in a really short amount of time you can get amazing results but I also believe that the quality we saw on TLOU 2 is still better than this.

This image is in-game btw.

50564816212_a82ac573f1_k.jpg

The hair technology is much better on Epic meta human demo. This is more comparable to Spiderman MM or FIFA with strand hair technology.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
Man some of the replies here have me legitimately confused...this looks REALLY good.

How is this NOT photorealistic, and also why in the world would you compare hand crafted main characters from games like tLou2 which took months to create, to a character creator that can generate multiple characters in hours.

It's like I woke up in a world where AAA games like assassins creed valhalla never existed lol

I think it also depends on your standard of photorealism.

For me, photorealism means you can't tell the difference between it and real life. It's past uncanny valley.

jediyoshi

Oct 25, 2017
Tried out the sample, looks great. Surprised we went so long without SSS, hard to go back to seeing realistic looking characters without it.

Deleted member 862

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
LODs

GroomLODSequence.png

• LOD 0–1 use strand-based geometry on high-end platforms (Xbox Series X, PlayStation 5, and PC), but also supports card representations for other platforms.
  • LOD 2–4 use card-based representations.
  • LOD 5–7 use simplified hair meshes.
it scales from film quality to cyberpunk 2077

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Quixel is free regardless, the only thing that is tied to Unreal Engine are the megascans. Any smart material you create yourself you can use outside of UE
Yeah I was talking about Quixel Megascans.
I dont use Quixel Mixer I imagine thats what you are talking about?

probably more of a shader/model complexity issue. I can't imagine the hair strands playing well with RT on consoles

Is there a public production ready build of Unreal Engine 4 with RT enabled for console?
4.25 brought production ready RT to the engine and initial support for the consoles
4.26 brought the hair/fur, volumetric clouds but I didnt see any mention of RT for consoles yet.

OP
OP
ILikeFeet

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is there a public production ready build of Unreal Engine 4 with RT enabled for console?
4.25 brought production ready RT to the engine and initial support for the consoles
4.26 brought the hair/fur, volumetric clouds but I didnt see any mention of RT for consoles yet.
production ready RT and next gen support came at the same time with 4.25. there's already one UE4 game with RT on consoles (the medium, and I think Observer as well)

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
production ready RT and next gen support came at the same time with 4.25. there's already one UE4 game with RT on consoles (the medium)

The Medium likely isnt running on 4.25 it came out like 6 months ago.
RT has been in engine since 4.22 they could have taken the plunge with preproduction RT for their game.

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
I've known about this for a bit and was absolutely gobsmacked when I first saw it in action. Glad to see it officially revealed. Streamlining dev tools is always important and tools like Metahuman takes that to the next level. Expect many more improvements in content creation accessibility over the next few years as the industry continues to expand and become more and more efficient.

Traditional approaches to game development aren't really sustainable in the long run so it's great to see the industry evolving.

OP
OP
ILikeFeet

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've known about this for a bit and was absolutely gobsmacked when I first saw it in action. Glad to see it officially revealed. Streamlining dev tools is always important and tools like Metahuman takes that to the next level. Expect many more improvements in content creation accessibility over the next few years as the industry continues to expand and become more and more efficient.

Traditional approaches to game development aren't really sustainable in the long run so it's great to see the industry evolving.
do you know if Epic talked about expanding the stylistic options in the future?

jkk411

Jul 22, 2018
This is pretty remarkable. Between stuff like this and the iPhone facial animation capture (and maybe even some IK solutions with VR headsets/trackers) it's really remarkable what you might be able to do from home as a one man wrecking crew. Being able to "Garage Band" your way to AAA-ish visuals will be a game changer.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Its a hell that we are already in.
This is just going to make it alot alot worse.
code_miko.png
What? People not wanting to use face cam so they use vtube characters aren't a bad thing. It's probably even better for their anxiety actually. Also I've seen demos this person set up, she did a great job with this character. The facial animations matching her own is very convincing and not weird. You know, characters in games use similar tech and no one is calling that "hell".

KCroxtonJr

Oct 28, 2017
I think it also depends on your standard of photorealism.

For me, photorealism means you can't tell the difference between it and real life. It's past uncanny valley.
So what is an example of a photorealistic character then? I can't think of a single game character that has gotten past the uncanny valley.

NoKisum

Nov 11, 2017
DMV Area, USA
Saw the trailer. Only saw like one option of afrocentric hair. Not impressed, CC is already on par with almost every CC system we've had for the last 20+ years.

Zuko

Aug 11, 2020
Madden devs could definitely use this. Wonder if they have a way to use photo scans as a base and then fine tune from there. Would love to see sports titles use this.

SickNasty

Mar 18, 2020
Im guessing itll expand more.
3Lateral and CubicMotion had this demo like 2 years ago or something.

This is not specifically aimed at you, but worth noting that Cubic and to a larger extent 3L have had involvement in the overwhelming majority of mid to high tier games for pretty much the entire generation. They're practically industry standard at this point, but the quiet tech stuff that happens behind the scenes is not generally something that gets exciting articles written about it.
Basically you've probably played quite a lot of their work already haha

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Good interview: https://www.gamesindustry.biz/artic...gh-fidelity-human-characters-in-under-an-hour

3Lateral founder and Epic VP of digital humans technology Vladimir Mastilovic says MHC can create "super high-end PlayStation 5 equivalent of assets we would do for the latest games" in a fraction of the time.

"I wouldn't even call it a tool," Mastilovic says. "It's a game that even children can play."

Mastilovic adds, "We're not claiming to cross the uncanny valley here. We're more targeting The Last of Us/Uncharted kind of look, where it's obviously a digital character but it's a pleasant-looking digital character."

Libreri says the goal isn't photorealism -- at least not with version 1.0 of MHC.

Last edited:

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
Absolutely looks like current gen humans as he said. We haven't seen such detail on last gen.
What? People not wanting to use face cam so they use vtube characters aren't a bad thing. It's probably even better for their anxiety actually. Also I've seen demos this person set up, she did a great job with this character. The facial animations matching her own is very convincing and not weird. You know, characters in games use similar tech and no one is calling that "hell".
No lies detected. This is awesome for people with anxiety, who still want to share great content with their fanbase. I didn't actually knew streamers are using digital humans sometimes, but it's good this option exist.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ILikeFeet

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
the faces have a pretty wide range of movement

also, you can run the reveal video in real time in the sample project. wonder how it scales based on hardware

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
the faces have a pretty wide range of movement
Yes, it's stunning. Just imagine random NPC on PS5 and Series X|S with close to that amount of movement and fidelity. Game changer, especially for RPG with many different NPC you talk to in longer sequences.

Won't beat Naughty Dog or equally talented studios main protagonist on PS5 or Xbox in quality or animation, but it's really impresse tech, considering the quality of the models and how fast they are created in comparison. Will lift random NPC to new heights.

OP
OP
ILikeFeet

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Won't beat Naughty Dog or equally talented studios main protagonist on PS5 or Xbox in quality or animation
I don't see why not. there's a lot of flexibility in the controls that in the hands of a capable animator and enough time, can match those of Naughty Dog. and these models were made for higher-than-current-gen spec at the highest end anyway