• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Niosai

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
not really hyperbole
You're right. If I buy this game, I will be the only player on this entire green earth who will be playing it online. Absolutely zero other people will be playing it. Zilch. Nada. That's what you're saying?

All I asked for was a recommendation and you/the other person felt it necessary to shoehorn in hyperbole after I asked in my original post specifically not to.

Yeah, they are very similar, but V Special has a few extra subsystems that make it a bit harder to enjoy casually IMO.
I'll look into that, thanks. I'll probably watch some gameplay videos and see if there's any comparisons because I'm about as casual as it gets with fighting games.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
Control - Expansion 1 - The Foundation - Launching March 26!

Nice! Looking forward to this!

MechaX

Oct 27, 2017
SamSho is pretty much DOA at this point.

it's a super late port of a game that isn't getting that much attention these days even on the competitive scene, coming out on a different storefront than like every other SNK release for the past decade, and launching with no crossplay and shit netcode.

you hate to see it happen

BroodShadow

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
May as well not even include netplay as you will never ever find a match for Samurai Shodown.
Like a late PC port was already going to suffer greatly but this is just outright murder.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
. If I buy this game, I will be the only player on this entire green earth who will be playing it online
They didn't say that though. The point being made was that you will have a hard time finding someone to play with online. Which was true of the PS4 version like a month after release, would be true of any steam version not long after the week of release, and will almost certainly be true of the egs version the day of release due to being a late port on a platform with relatively few users outside of people playing fortnite. The game has no crossplay and no rollback netcode. If it did, things would be different.

packy17

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
May as well not even include netplay as you will never ever find a match for Samurai Shodown.
Like a late PC port was already going to suffer greatly but this is just outright murder.

Suits probably had little faith in the PC port selling very well regardless so they decided to take the guaranteed bag.

Acidote

Oct 26, 2017
You're right. If I buy this game, I will be the only player on this entire green earth who will be playing it online. Absolutely zero other people will be playing it. Zilch. Nada. That's what you're saying?

All I asked for was a recommendation and you/the other person felt it necessary to shoehorn in hyperbole after I asked in my original post specifically not to.

I won't go into hyperbole or anything like that. But if this games doesn't have crossplay I'm quite sure there will be problems finding games, longer queues and they'll have to widen skill brackets, lopsiding those matches in the process in just a couuple of weeks. And that's if they even bother to do that. This game was in danger of that even releasing on Steam only with no crossplay, as even the PS4 version was having some issues there. At the EGS it's pretty much a certainty.

MechaX

Oct 27, 2017

a few months after the PS4 launch, it was taking people close to 10 minutes to find *one* match (Sajam and Alex Valle both reported on this too)

this late port is going to be even worse

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017

I'll look into that, thanks. I'll probably watch some gameplay videos and see if there's any comparisons because I'm about as casual as it gets with fighting games.

You're asking for a recommendation. I'm telling you if you plan to play online, maybe it's not a good idea. Plain and simple.

Niosai

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I won't go into hyperbole or anything like that. But if this games doesn't have crossplay I'm quite sure there will be problems finding games, longer queues and they'll have to widen skill brackets, lopsiding those matches in the process in just a couuple of weeks. And that's if they even bother to do that. This game was in danger of that even releasing on Steam only with no crossplay, as even the PS4 version was having some issues there. At the EGS it's pretty much a certainty.
a few months after the PS4 launch, it was taking people close to 10 minutes to find *one* match (Sajam and Alex Valle both reported on this too)

this late port is going to be even worse
If this is the case, that sounds bad for the game as a whole. Was it just not successful? Or too niche?

Hassansan

Oct 27, 2017
The devs prob sat that one SNK CEO down and told him that the game ain't reaching no "one million copies" on pc.

BroodShadow

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Suits probably had little faith in the PC port selling very well regardless so they decided to take the guaranteed bag.
I understand that but SNK needs good PR to really get people to buy into the next KOF yet here we are with more negativity,I feel like they should have just been happy to have a small discord game as this game was never go to sell well without cross play or rollback and I assume the epic$ is pretty small.

s_mirage

Oct 25, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Wow, SNK, you can go do one. Claiming that they turned down an exclusivity deal only to then be exclusive and way late despite a PC based version releasing on Stadia some time ago. Talking out of both sides of their mouth (saying they wouldn't take deals publicly while seemingly making deals with multiple parties) doesn't make me positively inclined to support them much in the future either.

I doubt the game sold well, might as well take Epics cash.

Thing is, while it wouldn't do much for the appeal of the game in general, SNK's policy with regards to PC releases after KoF XIII has been self-sabotaging. Late ports released at full price, by which time the console versions can be picked up cheaper, and lack of crossplay stifle the growth of a PC community and make their titles unattractive. Moves like this will further antagonise the PC base and hurt them even more. Yes, they might make some cash in the short term, but it will likely prove to be a mistake in the long term as they won't be able to rely on generous moneyhats forever.

Gelf

Oct 27, 2017
I was interested in SS but not EGS interested. I always have to use Steam input to set up my Saturn pad anyway.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
Samurai Shodown finally comes to
PC now that it's hit the $10 bargain bin on PS4, and even appeared on Stadia.

It's like SNK doesn't care about SS at all.

Annabel

Mar 22, 2019
I was under the impression SamSho was doing well for them.

At least well enough to do a second season pass.

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Punchline to all this is that Epic probably offered SNK substantially less money second time round. It's a massive mess, and it's entirely SNK's fault.

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
I am still waiting journalists who praised Epic Store to do interview with some of the indie developers who accepted Epic deal and talk how are their sales on Epic Store. At this point i will accept even unofficial Twitter feed.
It seems like indies are better off taking the deal even if they sell zero copies. Since their games always have a risk of actually selling near zero copies it's worth it just for your own sanity to take a lump sum. Besides, if they don't get a lot of coverage that would drive sales on EGS they can just release a year later on Steam and nobody will even know they were exclusive.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
It seems like indies are better off taking the deal even if they sell zero copies. Since their games always have a risk of actually selling near zero copies it's worth it just for your own sanity to take a lump sum. Besides, if they don't get a lot of coverage that would drive sales on EGS they can just release a year later on Steam and nobody will even know they were exclusive.

I said that because many journalists and indie devs were repeating Epic PR talk how Epic Store will offer them better visibility and less competition.

Oct 31, 2017
So...
PC users asked for PC SS for months, and when it's finally here they aren't happy just because it isn't available on their favourite launcher, heh?
Aside for the annoying condescending tone I'm not even sure who are these "PC gamers" you are talking to.
I didn't "ask for months" about shit, for instance. And if anything even a Steam release should have done some legwork to sell me on the game, by proving its quality.

An EGS-exclusive release on the other hand certifies that the purchase will not even be an option I will bother to consider.
And just in case you are wondering I don't feel a single bit apologetic about it.

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
I said that because many journalists and indie devs were repeating Epic PR talk how Epic Store will offer them better visibility and less competition.
True, the claim that it's more visibility should be put to the test but of course they're so secretive... Obligatory pointing at the hypocrisy of getting Sergey Galyonkin and not releasing numbers yourself...

Smash-It Stan

Oct 25, 2017
Those two couldn't have been cheap. Like at all.
dont forget division 2 and metro. I'm sure those 4 took a big chunk.

SamSho is pretty much DOA at this point.

it's a super late port of a game that isn't getting that much attention these days even on the competitive scene, coming out on a different storefront than like every other SNK release for the past decade, and launching with no crossplay and shit netcode.

you hate to see it happen
and they'll be all like "see the game didn't sell so how can we put in good netcode!? Fighting games are dead!"

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
I just told my friend that samurai Shodown is finally coming to PC since he's been waiting for it since the game was announced. He pretty much only plays fighting games.

I then had to explain to him what the Epic Games Store is.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
Glad to see that SamSho is coming to PC.
Sad to see that SamSho is DOA on PC.

SNK, there is zero established playerbase for fightman games on EGS. All of them been waiting for a Steam release. Incredibly disappointed.

Deleted member 18857

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Something puzzles me: isn't SNK's biggest potential market in China?
Is the EGS available in China?

So...
PC users asked for PC SS for months, and when it's finally here they aren't happy just because it isn't available on their favourite launcher, heh?
Yeah, because when I was asking for this game on PC, I assumed it would have decent controller support and that I'd be able to play with the friends I play fighting games with.
.... why do I even bother.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
Something puzzles me: isn't SNK's biggest potential market in China?
Is the EGS available in China?

Yeah, because when I was asking for this game on PC, I assumed it would have decent controller support and that I'd be able to play with the friends I play fighting games with.
.... why do I even bother.

Yes, they did fix that blunder. It supposedly works in China now.

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Typically it sucks when Epic removes games from Steam as they've been targeting games based on Steam wishlists, so mine was eroded and games I was looking forward to were effectively delayed.

But this time I more or less hadn't heard of any of these before, so that's good, I suppose.

Oct 31, 2017
Yeah, but at least they had the decency to announce it as an EGS exclusive. Ignoring the bag of money (which is the only reason anyone signed on the dotted line, let's be honest), it's a deal that's aging like milk.
Personally I never thought Maneater looked even remotely promising, but jI'm not sure that's what you meant, so I have to ask just out of curiosity:
what makes you say so? Something happened?

Yeah, but apparently Chinese gamers hates EGS. If you're porting games to PC for the Chinese audience, it's Steam or you're in trouble.
Really? I never heard a word about this. Do you have any reference?