• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan
If they took it for this game they will get an offer for KOF as well. The top priority should be making KOF cross platform play so it doesn't die on PC.
Again.. its about creating and retaining their 'limited' fanbase. Cross platform should be a priority on the platforms that have the most audience in terms of numbers..aka consoles and PC(steam+other platforms) and not steam and EGS only imo.

People aren't going to be playing on EGS because they like buying and playing games there for the most part(there is an audience like that but imo its a minority) but because its exclusive to that platform for months or upto a year. A game with a limited audience has no use to be on a platform that has a limited audience as the type of audience that the devs are targeting. The only 'positive' is that the devs get money in exchange for putting the game exclusively on a platform that is mostly used to play fortnite.

Last edited:

meschio94

Jan 26, 2018
i thought if that was the big announce they were dropping at the gdc, then the tactic of egs to gain consumer and developer on the platform is alredy dead at this point

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
I never played Samurai Shodown. Is it any good? I'm not huge on fighting games but I'm a sucker for SoulCalibur so I'm a bit interested.

And for the record, I love the EGS so don't base your recommendation on the game launcher since it's perfectly fine and I use it daily. I'm talking about the game here.
It is an excellent, extremely easy to get into game. It is based more around methodical, strike-based combat and has almost no combos.

Unfortunately because the delay on PC, likely the price being kind of high and the netcode not being great the playerbase is for certain going to be extremely weak. If you have people to play with close by though I think it is worth checking out. There really is not much else out there like it.

There is also Samurai Shodown V Special which is kind of obtuse in terms of mechanics in comparison but the netcode is some of the best in the genre now (which says a lot). It is also only 10 USD and goes for half of that on sale.

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
satisfactory is taking months to bring to steam because "cross platform play is their top priority"

which is insane to me, how is it crossplay theyre both on pc. did you not know it was coming to steam at some point? did epic promise to do this part for you?

is gamespy still around, use that (don't actually this is a joke)
Epic claimed to have solved that problem, but I only know one game that use Epic's cross-platform tech that isn't being developed by Epic themselves (Dauntless). Everyone else, including everyone else who signed exclusivity deals with Epic, is having to roll their own solution. It's batty.

Niosai

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
It is an excellent, extremely easy to get into game. It is based more around methodical, strike-based combat and has almost no combos.

Unfortunately because the delay on PC, likely the price being kind of high and the netcode not being great the playerbase is for certain going to be extremely weak. If you have people to play with close by though I think it is worth checking out. There really is not much else out there like it.

There is also Samurai Shodown V Special which is kind of obtuse in terms of mechanics in comparison but the netcode is some of the best in the genre now (which says a lot). It is also only 10 USD and goes for half of that on sale.
Hmmm... V Special seems like the better choice for my wallet here. If I like that one, I'll like the new one?

Acidote

Oct 26, 2017
A PC fighting game exclusive to the EGS? The online community will surely thrive.

I don't think it will be exclusive. I could easily be wrong but if I am it would look like SNK just cashed in and sent it to die.

Morten88

Dec 22, 2019
It really looks like EGS is dying out if they cant get Better exclusive games, its just a matter of time before Tim Sweeney gets bored of it and move unto something else, which would mean that people would lose the games they have bought, we have seen this before...

Spaltazar

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
SamSho will probably be utterly dead. good fukking job snk on killing your game as hard as you could. discord fighter from day 1, but i guess that would have also happened on steam at this point

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
A PC fighting game exclusive to the EGS? The online community will surely thrive.

I don't think it will be exclusive. I could easily be wrong but if I am it would look like SNK just cashed in and sent it to die.

I mean, they already released it on Stadia without cross-play so I don't think SNK give a fuck about maintaining the online playerbase.

Mullet2000

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Love how they wait a year to put SamSho on PC but just to make sure it's completely DoA they do this. Bummer man. I was really interested in the game last June but they really lost me with that one.

Oct 29, 2017
UK
Ahahahahaha. Remember when SNK turned down PC exclusivity? Yet so far it's been a Stadia and an EGS game?
15_gato01.png

Yeah I'm done with wanting Samurai Shodown 2019. V Special is good, and also has rollback netcode. It is also way cheaper. Just buy this instead.

Last edited:

Acidote

Oct 26, 2017
Omen of Sorrow is EGS exclusive.

~Zero players. Even after they gave tons of copies for IGN subs.

Some devs might value money more than actual players.

I don't even know what that game is.
I mean, they already released it on Stadia without cross-play so I don't think SNK give a fuck about maintaining the online playerbase.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

It sets a precedent for future sales. Like, who's gonna buy a game (let's say the next KOF) bound to be dead in a matter of days.

Aramon

Oct 27, 2017
Finland
I would hope they would concentrate fixing the Epic Games launcher.

Compared to Steam launcher it has been shit show for me.

Morten88

Dec 22, 2019
Now that people Are talking about new games for epic store, wasnt rocket league supposed to leave steam and go to epic store last year? We Are nearly 4 months into 2020 and nothing have happened

meschio94

Jan 26, 2018
Now that people Are talking about new games for epic store, wasnt rocket league supposed to leave steam and go to epic store last year? We Are nearly 4 months into 2020 and nothing have happened

RL will obviusly come to egs, they bought the studio behind it

I think they are trying to figure out how to do that without destroying the userbase on pc

Patapuf

Oct 26, 2017
Don´t forget that they pay for the free games every week.

Epic might've also decided that those are generally better to drive traffic to the platform without having a bunch of negative PR.

It also gives people a library to be attached to.

Both things that are important to Epic and might be easier to do via free games rather than exclusives.

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Finally! I hope I can still use my 40% coupon on samurai showdown. I have been waiting for ages for a decent fighting game on EGS.

Quad Lasers

Oct 26, 2017
New SNK releases were already dead on Steam due to being late ports so it's extra funny to see it go the Stadia -> EGS -> eventually Steam route.

Can a game be more than dead. Is it possible to be negative dead.

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
I really doubt SamSho is exclusive. Even disregarding the earlier statement, do you think the Epic Games Store has any kind of Japanese audience? I have to imagine that would be a factor in any negotiations, said earlier statement implied SNK hadn't heard of the store before.
I'm not saying they are scaling back in any significant way. But they still have mad money coming in from multiple sources so I doubt it's a funds issue.
I'd imagine even with Fortnite and UE4 revenue, the store still has a budget of some kind that the team behind it can't go over, and Borderlands and Read Dead combined with low revenue probably put them close to it.

Last edited:

Piccoro

Nov 20, 2017
User Warned: Trolling
So...
PC users asked for PC SS for months, and when it's finally here they aren't happy just because it isn't available on their favourite launcher, heh?

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Guess SNK were smart enough to take the money. Should do the same for KOF if given the offer.

Nah it would be dumb, SNK faithful is on steam actively playing to this day 2002um and XIII. I myself cant even install EGS after formatting my pc like 5 times and they offer no solutiom to fix that, and I'm sure I'm not the only one. Also I doubt that Epic will give RDR2 money to SNK for KOF or SamSho

Hentailover

Oct 25, 2017
Moscow
So...
PC users asked for PC SS for months, and when it's finally here they aren't happy just because it isn't available on their favourite launcher, heh?

It's almost like they wnat actual people to play with, and it being exclusive to egs means online will be dead before first week is even over. There's a reason people always clamor for crossplay with consoles. There are difficulties finding an active fighting game player base even on more popular platforms. But hey, that's one ignorant take you have.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
SamSho is an EGS exclusive? After the whole Stadia fiasco for this game?
RIP PC scene...
Ahahahahaha. Remember when SNK turned down PC exclusivity? Yet so far it's been a Stadia and an EGS game?
15_gato01.png

Yeah I'm done with wanting Samurai Shodown 2019. V Special is good, and also has rollback netcode. It is also way cheaper. Just buy this instead.

Lol, yeah, wonder what happened since...

Deleted member 13560

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So...

STEAM goes beyond just being a "launcher." It's an ecosystem the offers a robust set of tools for publishers, developers, and end-users. I understand why people would be disappointed.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Is there no online play?

Edit: Ah, hyperbole AND ignoring what I asked in my original post. Got it.
not really hyperbole
So...
dude come on. This thing will have no players. It'll be completely dead online from the get go, and nobody had much hope of it having a super healthy player-base on even steam for very long due to the lengthy delay.

If you just want to play offline then fine but I think most people will want to play online.

packy17

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Shame if SS is exclusive. Been waiting for that one for a while and I'm not willing to wait another year to play it, so I'll just pass on it altogether if so.

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan
So...
Because its much more than a launcher...its a whole digital platform.
If my most wanted game comes on PC on a platform thats barebones and is held by epic who cannot guarrantee that my games on it will remain there without any fears about its future and offer no features then why would i waste my money on there... sure its a hard choice to make but its the right one. I don't wanna give them the money for executing the right thing in a horrible way.

Also Some people have their whole gotdamn game libraries on steam only. Its can be a big issue for them. It just is so fucking anticonsumer for it to be exclusive on the PC platform which is touted and celebrated for being open.

packy17

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
STEAM goes beyond just being a "launcher." It's an ecosystem the offers a robust set of tools for publishers, developers, and end-users. I understand why people would be disappointed.

There's really no point in trying to explain this to people anymore. We've been trying to get that point across for well over a year but people still choose to be ignorant.

MrChillaxx

Banned
Jan 13, 2018
SNK really wants to antagonise it's fanbase eh?

I mean i'll have to reinstall the damn client, eventually we all cave i guess

DrFunk

Oct 25, 2017
Lol at Epic announcing this on Half Life: Alyx's release day. They knew what they were doing