• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
It doesn't just have to be sold on Steam, you need to use Steam's launcher and store to be able to download it at all. And while there are certain features like SteamVR that don't require the Steam launcher/store, most features do require it.

"You need to download the software to use the software features"
Sounds logical. But you still don't need to use the store. So it's not locked to a store.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
Very cool to see Fumito Ueda and Sam Lake get setup well for their next games.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
It doesn't just have to be sold on Steam, you need to use Steam's launcher and store to be able to download it at all. And while there are certain features like SteamVR that don't require the Steam launcher/store, most features do require it.

So, basically, you'd like the Steam client to be like Playnite and for Valve to host cloud saves, forums, mods, guides, controller configs, servers, etc. for every PC game? And not require you to use Steam to download and play games bought on... Steam?

Deleted member 17184

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is a wonderful move, and I'm glad they're doing it. Excited to see what these developers and future partners will do!

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
You're blatantly wrong but okay

"blatantly".
Can I use these features without buying the game on the Steam store ?
If yes, it's not locked to the storefront.

Can I use them without using the launcher ?
Well no, obviously, since the launcher is the software providing the features.
It's like, duh, obvious.

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland
Steam requires you to use steam if you want to use steam

And it's bad that it does

tumblr_neriv5ezVF1tdhimpo1_1280.gif

Brrandon

Dec 13, 2019
I thought there were insiders that said Sony was buying Remedy?
Nah, they said sony looked into it but now we know nothing came out of it. People took that and ran with it and got all conspiracy theory with how since remedy is close to playstation devs on twitter it must mean theyre getting aquired

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, nice! What a deal for the studios too. Boy I bet Insomniac wish they had this deal.

And this is what people wanted them to do. Fund games if they wanted exclusives on PC. They're even funding them for consoles too, above and beyond?

Napalm_Frank

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Finland
Where does it say that? I didn't see any mention of that.
https://www.resetera.com/threads/re...ny’s-next-two-unannounced-video-games.177304/

The first project is a "AAA multi-platform game" already in pre-production, the company said on Thursday, while the second is a "smaller-scale" project set in the same franchise. Both projects are being developed on Remedy's proprietary Northlight game engine and tools.

The games will be released for next-gen consoles and PC in "the next few years," Remedy said. The Finnish studio will retain ownership of the unannounced games' IP, while revenue will be split with the publisher.

Oct 27, 2017
Those studios have made some of my favorite games of the last decade, so I'm excited that they have deals to produce their next games. Even better that they won't be locked into platform exclusivity.

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
I thought there were insiders that said Sony was buying Remedy?
so called insiders have been proven wrong over and over again especially in recent weeks. It's good to see these devs reach more gamers by aligning with Epic. I'm just so glad I get to play games from all 3 devs on my XSX esp games from Gendesign..

Stef

Oct 28, 2017
Rome, Italy, Planet Earth
I think you have missed all that Tim Sweeney has said regarding Steam and the "steam tax".

Ehm... you are making my point.

"I do not like EGS because Tim said that..."

Remember: you are using Steam as a platform. You give them money, they give you things, that's it.

Remember when Gabe Newell tried to do this? You know why he was entitled to do that? Because he had NO competition.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
So, basically, you'd like the Steam client to be like Playnite and for Valve to host cloud saves, forums, mods, guides, controller configs, servers, etc. for every PC game? And not require you to use Steam to download and play games bought on... Steam?
I don't even care about that stuff, I just want to use my controller without having to be tied to steam, or buy games for non steam stores. I can do that now but the windows drivers that communities are working on is still being fleshed out. I can at least use GOG Galaxy 2.0 very well for pretty much all of my games thanks to GloSC (global steam controller app). That thing is a life saver, putting in major work.

Mods: I do them well without Steam. I don't even think I mod my games with Steam. Steam modding seem limited going by Saints Row, and Skyrim. It's much better to mod those two outside of Steam.

Forums: I always think this is a bit of a joke. People seem to love Steam Forums. I never use them. Google searches for issues, or tips is far better. You get forums (excluding Steam's for comparison sake), Reddits, tweets, game dev websites forums and information, video demonstrations via youtube, twitch, etc. It's natural, and easy.

Controller: Right now Steam has Steam Controller locked down, not totally, there's a good alternative that allow you to fully use it without steam booted, but it's a work in progress. For other controllers, I half wish my steam controllers were dead so I cold dive into reWASD. Also there are a ton of good controller profilers out there. I've always used them, and now they are far better than they ever were.
mjFcI3r.jpg

Q97OOkP.jpg

Games activated on steam still have to deal with Steam's customer service, they are a lot faster replying now at least, but my previous experience with them got no ticket responses, for a big company like Valve. I got tired of waiting whenever I needed their help and they just never responded, I'm talking weeks even months iirc I ended up closing the tickets because I moved on (the issues were with steam and mistaken money put in the wallet two times because of a laggy experience on their site so I thought nothing went through. Eventually I made use of the money in the wallet, and vowed to avoid spending money on their app. Amazon and EA spoiled me on customer service.). The new system or whatever they have in place at least get you a response from something or someone telling you that your ticket is being reviewed and it's not ignored somewhere.

Last edited:

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
If they're paying development costs, then I'm okay with these games being exclusive to Epic's store.
This is arguably what we wanted from them.

tiebreaker

Oct 25, 2017
Oh wow, GenDesign. Can't wait to see what they come up with next.

Would it be something similar in tone to their previous games, or something new and different?

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Ehm... you are making my point.

"I do not like EGS because Tim said that..."

Remember: you are using Steam as a platform. You give them money, they give you things, that's it.

Remember when Gabe Newell tried to do this? You know why he was entitled to do that? Because he had NO competition.
You asked what is Epic doing compared to MS and Sony to develop an air of hostility towards Steam. I give it to you and then you deflect.

About the difference between Epic and Valve, it is quite easy. Epic said from the beginning that their target was developers and that me, as a customer, was secondary giving me a subpar product (and continue to do right now).

Regarding the thing you linked, paid mods have been a tough question on PC for a long time, that Valve failed to make it better doesnt mean that they tried to exploit their "monopoly". (Also, by then, Origin existed, as did other major players which probably had more impact than EGS. The whole "no competition" stuff Epic has tried to parrot regarding PC gaming is kinda funny when the other competitors actually improved PC Gaming for customers... unlike EGS).

Solace

Dog's Best Friend
Oct 29, 2017
HOOOOOLLLYYYY FUUUUUUUCKKKKKKKK, they got Ueda. Damn. Let's hope they can give him the same freedom and blank cheque he had at Sony.

Rogue Blue

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
This is to fantastic to hear honestly. These are three of some of my favorite developers ever, so knowing they're gonna get the backing they deserve is awesome.

Really nice to also hear that these guys will retain ownership of their IP, as it should be. Can't wait to see what comes from this!

c0Zm1c

Oct 25, 2017
They do this no more and no less than Microsoft or Sony ever did.
That couldn't be further from the truth. How is Microsoft and Sony being hostile towards Steam when those companies are allowing their games onto the service? Phil Spencer even tweets about the stuff they're doing on Steam.

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
It's Epic, so uh - BUT this is a good deal and really cool for the developers, so in the end I'd say this is a good thing afterall.
Especially with it being multiplat.

Stef

Oct 28, 2017
Rome, Italy, Planet Earth
You asked what is Epic doing compared to MS and Sony to develop an air of hostility towards Steam. I give it to you and then you deflect.

About the difference between Epic and Valve, it is quite easy. Epic said from the beginning that their target was developers and that me, as a customer, was secondary giving me a subpar product (and continue to do right now).

No, that's not true.

They said things about the developers and YOU tailored other "anti-customer" things about them.

To the point that even now that they are actually funding games I have to read that "No, I'll never play those".

Moebius

Oct 28, 2017
The Epic store lacks many features that I like, but if I can play Last Guardian on PC at 60 fps/4k then I'll gladly accept it.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
Repost from the other thread:

As much as I hate Epic, I'm glad it wasn't Sony because I feel like 2/3 of those studios would have been locked down to 1 platform.

Seems like these are great deals for studios too, and honestly this seems like the best thing Epic could do with all their Fortnite money.

Really a shame about EGS though. XSX/PS5 will be my go to for most of these instead of PC.
This is exactly how I feel, I wouldve preferred someone else but at least EPIC means more people get to play it, even MS wouldve been better then Sony because even though it isnt ideal many more get to play.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
I don't even care about that stuff, I just want to use my controller without having to be tied to steam, or buy games for non steam stores. I can do that now but the windows drivers that communities are working on is still being fleshed out. I can at least use GOG Galaxy 2.0 very well for pretty much all of my games thanks to GloSC (global steam controller app). That thing is a life saver, putting in major work.

Mods: I do them well without Steam. I don't even think I mod my games with Steam. Steam modding seem limited going by Saints Row, and Skyrim. It's much better to mod those two outside of Steam.

Forums: I always think this is a bit of a joke. People seem to love Steam Forums. I never use them. Google searches for issues, or tips is far better. You get forums (excluding Steam's for comparison sake), Reddits, tweets, game dev websites forums and information, video demonstrations via youtube, twitch, etc. It's natural, and easy.

Controller: Right now Steam has Steam Controller locked down, not totally, there's a good alternative that allow you to fully use it without steam booted, but it's a work in progress. For other controllers, I half wish my steam controllers were dead so I cold dive into reWASD. Also there are a ton of good controller profilers out there. I've always used them, and now they are far better than they ever were.
mjFcI3r.jpg

Q97OOkP.jpg

Games activated on steam still have to deal with Steam's customer service, they are a lot faster replying now at least, but my previous experience with them got no ticket responses, for a big company like Valve. I got tired of waiting whenever I needed their help and they just never responded, I'm talking weeks even months iirc I ended up closing the tickets because I moved on (the issues were with steam and mistaken money put in the wallet two times because of a laggy experience on their site so I thought nothing went through. Eventually I made use of the money in the wallet, and vowed to avoid spending money on their app. Amazon and EA spoiled me on customer service.). The new system or whatever they have in place at least get you a response from something or someone telling you that your ticket is being reviewed and it's not ignored somewhere.

I'd love for games to come to GOG or some other service as well for the sake of choice, but I have most of my needs met by Steam, so I can't say it's an issue for me. In the end, it's up to the developers and publishers where to distribute their games, not Valve.

I've thankfully not had issues with CS. Had some obscure issue with Steam Link a while ago and they got back to me within a day with a solution. I'm sure it's not all rainbows and sunshine though. As for the Steam controller, I don't use one myself (missed out on the fire sale unfortunately!) so idk about that, but I do like Steam's controller utility. Would of course be great for the Steam controller to be software-agnostic. That only makes sense for PC.

In any case, I was just wanted to know if the member I quoted wanted to separate the client from the store. While great in theory, I just can't realistically see it happening without losing some or all of the free services it provides.

Last edited:

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
thats cool. hopefully it works out for those studios, Control was one of the best games of last year and I had no problem purchasing it on Epic

Status
Not open for further replies.