• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

K' Dash

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
I hope they can make that Alan Wake expansion a lot meatier now that they have the moneyz.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
With all the shit that is gonna unfold in the next period this seems savvy on both ends

Honestly, this is a sensible take. We're in extrordinary times and people across every creative industry are, quite rightly, shitting themselves about the uncertainty of everything. You've got to presume this deal has been in the works for a good while (these things take time) and I bet all three of these studios are breathing a sigh of relief. They've just earned stability.

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
I mean the other Outer Wilds.
Oh wait it was the one more like No Mans Sky?

Ah, either way neither of those or any of the epic exclusive games have really been interesting to me. They had RDR2 but I got that from Rockstar. If they were to get an exclusive Dragon Quest or FF though, it would be another story.

As of now, I just redeem their free games on the web store, because i figure they pay the publishers for them or something, but I've never installed their launcher or played any of the games.

ActWan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's a huge game changer for the industry. Getting to keep their IPs is so good.
this is just a huge win situation for everyone, I'm so glad Epic are going in this direction rather than their previous tasteless one - and this will also encourage actual positive competition. This is a wonderful day and I can't wait to see who else is announced.

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017
Remedy with a blank cheque making a game for PC and next gen hardware is something I can get very excited for.

Deusmico

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If I had to guess, it's either 'no-steam'-type agreements (which allows for Origin or Uplay or the like, unlikely as it is)....

So unless you make your money back, (minus whatever costs are/aren't covered), you're not 'turning a profit'.

how can you make a profit if it makes less than the development cost? they fund the game, even if it sell 1unit the developer is paid for years of development

when you sell above the development cost you get profit

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
Happy to see this. Independent developers haven't had it easy. And I'm glad to see the games they are going to make are multiplats.

Navidson REC

Oct 31, 2017
Really glad that they all stay multiplat. Hope this also marks the end for weird platform exclusivity. That really soured Control for me.

KernelC

alt account
Banned
Aug 28, 2019
awesome! genDesign was supposedly working on "The Girl and the Giant" or something like that, right? One step closer to hearing more from it

Dazraell

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Poland
It's better than snatching random 3rd party games for their storefront, but not really happy about it at all. I don't want to support Epic and if I buy a Remedy game on PS5, they will still get money.

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
This is pretty awesome. Guarantees we'll all get to play the next games from these studios, regardless of platform. Good stuff!

Alienhated

Oct 25, 2017
I thought TLG did decently enough on Ps4?

Was it really a disaster sales-wise as much as people are are painting it now?

Stef

Oct 28, 2017
Rome, Italy, Planet Earth
It's better than snatching random 3rd party games for their storefront, but not really happy about it at all. I don't want to support Epic and if I buy a Remedy game on PS5, they will still get money.

Fact is: Sony, Microsoft and to some extent even Nintendo paid for exclusives (even today they announced that Panzer Dragoon is a timed exclusive for Switch...)

According to certain people, we should not buy games from them anymore, right?

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
These games will take some years, so it's within the realm of possibility that Epic will have addressed people's issues by then.
That's what I'm hoping for.

For me the core hangups have been price and general trust.
And they've been flailing around causing a bunch of agitating messes, so they have some work to do rebuilding my goodwill, which at this point is hostile.
The worst is probably all the abrasive negativity and strife Epic's EGS fuckery has brought.
And now instead of being happy about Remedy getting funding to do more cool stuff (which I was), I have to fret and be bummed about all this bullshit.
That's basically all EGS has done for me, made me bummed out about games I was looking forward to.

Alienhated

Oct 25, 2017
Well, add the not-so-stellar sales to the 13+ years of development... do you think Sony was happy with it?

I really think it was more of a prestige project for them.
Of course it never was a game meant to make Uncharted numbers, and i know development was long and messy, but i recall hearing at the time that it sold enough copies to be a decent success overall.
Do we have actual data about this?

ClayModel

Oct 29, 2017
Well, plus one for Epic in my books. And with Epic backing GenDesign, hopefully they can help Ueda and his team step up in terms of tech.

Dazraell

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Poland
Fact is: Sony, Microsoft and to some extent even Nintendo paid for exclusives (even today they announced that Panzer Dragoon is a timed exclusive for Switch...)

It's a different case, though. I just don't want to support Epic because of shit they pulled on PC. We don't know if a deal they inked will be timed exclusive on PC or it's pernament considering they are the publisher.

That said, it's a smart move. They have almost unlimited stream of money from Fortnite, are monopolist in tech with Unreal Engine and already have an infrastructure with storefront and by owning multiple studios. Becoming a publisher is a logical step.

diablogg

Oct 31, 2017
This will be the first thing that likely makes me install EGS. I'm assuming it will be exclusive to their game store permanently since they are funding it. (Maybe not since Remedy controls the IP?)

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018

I'm not buying anything at EGS because I don't want to use more launchers.

It's that simple to some lol, I don't care about PS4/X1/Switch exclusives.

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
St

Steam is a store, not a platform.
PC is a platform.
Weird how a store then is much better and does more for the consumer than all other platforms combined rofl.

Also
Not sure of the definitions you want to use, but Steam does so much more than even the console platforms, consistently iterating on and creating greater utility, and extending the value of games people own there. Not bad for just a "store"

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Unless things have changed GENdesign is a really tiny concept house that isn't intended to actually develope games by themselves. I doubt Epic is doing it themselves so I wonder who Ueda partners with to do the actual game building for his designs.

Oct 28, 2017
When you consider the terms on offer, it shouldn't be surprising at all that any of these developers chose to work with Epic.
Yeah I meant to say that its surprising that Sony let the brains behind ICO sign with someone else. But maybe there is some history there that explains why this was not a consideration (outside of the money involved).

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Seems like decent terms, Steam aside but devs getting that backing etc. and still coming out on consoles, hard to complain about that.

Status
Not open for further replies.