• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Ox Code

Jul 21, 2018
Epic heard you all when you said they weren't investing enough in the Epic Games Store.
So they bought a mall.

JeremyParish

Retronaut
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Raleigh, NC
I like it as it seems like a good way to turn desolate and bankrupt malls into something useful.
Yeah, they've been trying to repurpose this corpse of a mall for years. IKEA was supposed to be moving in to convert the entire thing into a new retail center, but they bailed. Whatever Epic does will be a much better use of the space than the hellhole it's been for the past few years.

zedox

Oct 28, 2017
Sad to see the mall go, I used to eat there at lunch at least once a week as I work in the area. Good for Epic though...sucks for traffic in that area. Luckily I moved out of Cary even though I still work in the area but WFH is still here so...we shall see. I'm sure things will get back to normal by the time they actually move there. Ugh, that means constructions probably...grrr.

Damn, no more Dave and Busters either.

Yeah, they've been trying to repurpose this corpse of a mall for years. IKEA was supposed to be moving in to convert the entire thing into a new retail center, but they bailed. Whatever Epic does will be a much better use of the space than the hellhole it's been for the past few years.

Yea, I remember when they were trying to make it an IKEA.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I legit wonder if they'll keep the food court and repurpose it as a cafeteria with multiple food options.

Mr_Antimatter

Oct 28, 2017
Offices having a rec area is nothing new. The workshare I work out of had like a full game room and bowling ally.

gyms/workout places are also super common. For many it's a free gym benefit that saves a ton of money and lets you get in some exercise after work before heading home.

Teeth

Nov 4, 2017
So are you happy to argue that people won't spend more time at the office due to amenities?

As I said, employees can easily benefit from these things but at the end of the day, one of the driving factors for these expansions is to give employees a reason to stick around after-hours. Morale can play a part, but it's not going to be the sole driving force. I don't work in game dev, but the number of times I've heard, "I know the meeting is at 6, but you were just going to be downstairs at the gym anyway, so you should come on back up when you're done," is not in the single digits.

I can say that I miss the gym at my previous employer's office. It was open 24/7, didn't cost me a dime out of pocket, and was usually pretty empty. Having it free and at the office was like getting an extra $500+/yr and about 30 minutes per day of my life back cuz i didn't have to travel to a gym/back home after work - it was just right there.

But I guess it wasn't a problem for me as an amenity because I just said no to anyone trying to encroach on my time.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit. I live in the area and this is...actually insane. Cary Towne Center has been slowly dying for years and there was talk of it being renovated and bought out for a while now, but I think most people expected it to just be another shopping center/mall. Epic buying it is pretty wild. It's only a mile or two from their current location btw.

zoltek

Oct 25, 2017
As someone else has mentioned, reports have come out of Epic that there is a lot of "optional" crunch. It's offset with high salary (in some cases), but there are still ridiculous working hours. A company--especially a large one--is never your friend and their motives are always "dark". They want people to spend more time close to the office.

You can certainly say there are benefits for the employees, but this isn't something a corporation is going to do out of the kindness of their hearts. They will make more money by doing this than by not.

It doesn't make it any less dystopian just because other tech companies do it. I'm not singling out Epic. In all cases, it should be considered uncomfortable when a large corporation is seeking to provide amenities on-campus to encourage employees to spend more time there. Regardless of overtime, etc, you aren't going to have a lessened workload just because there's a gym in the building. It just means you'll be working 40+ hours while remaining in the office for another 20--which makes it easier to rationalize longer hours and after hours meetings. You'll be around anyway.

Exactly this.
Can I ask what you do for a living?

HeWhoWalks

Jan 17, 2018
I live in Raleigh (about a 10 minute drive away). While Cary Towne has been barebones for a good while now, I was hoping they would give it the North Hills Mall treatment. Oh well.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I live in Raleigh (about a 10 minute drive away). While Cary Towne has been barebones for a good while now, I was hoping they would give it the North Hills Mall treatment. Oh well.

Yeah, there had been plans for exactly that at one point but they must have fallen through. It's a shame because I was also hoping they'd make it like North Hills. Crossroads right down the road isn't doing too hot either. A lot of the businesses there closed over the last year or two.

jkh13

Oct 27, 2017
As I said, employees can easily benefit from these things but at the end of the day, one of the driving factors for these expansions is to give employees a reason to stick around after-hours. Morale can play a part, but it's not going to be the sole driving force. I don't work in game dev, but the number of times I've heard, "I know the meeting is at 6, but you were just going to be downstairs at the gym anyway, so you should come on back up when you're done," is not in the single digits.

I think this viewpoint is quite cynical, I have worked in similar environments where everything was provided and I would say that it is really the culture rather than the "things" that dictate how people work. In my opinion these perks and amenities are included as a convenience and as a way to help disconnect with work rather than a ploy by evil leadership to keep people late at work, we were always encouraged to leave work at sensible times and disconnect from work chat/email.

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
There's something vaguely dystopian about a corporation buying up so much flat land to create a sprawling business campus. Especially when they say it's to include "recreational spaces". Given what we know about the videogame industry in general, the actual plan here is to try and give employees more of a reason to stay on the office grounds as opposed to going home.

10 bucks that they include the equivalent of company apartments in some way.
It's just like any other tech company campus.

Which means, yeah, the ultimate business justification is to keep employees on company grounds for as long as possible.

For example, Google's food is amazing, and the company spends about $20 a day per employee providing it. A big cost, but the return on that investment is absolutely massive.

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Its gonna be a campus so I am sure they will have company apartments for onboarding. Its usually very hard and stressful to find a space to live when you move to another country so its nice to give new employees a space to live while they figure out a place for their own. I can see this dramatically cutting back the time you need to get up and running which is important for a company.

Where I work we have company apartments all over the city, these are all small apartments we can live in for free for up to 3 months while you look for your own space and it made the onboarding process a breeze. I could just focus on the game and the work and the team while I could take the time to look for a place to live. plus I could use the 3 months rent I did not have to pay to build up a small financial buffer to make the rent down payment.

I am not a huge epic games supporter in the last few years as they went from doing some really cool project to 100 percent fortnite and going power hungry, but having spaces for employees to relieve the stress they still get when working normal hours is just good. You can see it as BS to keep employees working over hours and I am 100 percent sure epic still has crunch, but its also just nice as an employee to have the ability to do some non work activities while still be able to get back to work easily by having a lot of things in the same building.

employees can still go somewhere else for lunch if they want to. its just easier to cut on commute and things like that.

There are so many pros and cons to having a company campus, to not having one, to working at home. You cant just call it a company gotcha to keep ppl there since everybody is different.

For example working from home is almost the same thing. Sure you work at home but then you also combine home with work, so you spend more time working. Its easier to keep working a few hours extra since you cut out on commute, you are in your comfy space, just work until you go to bed and I see nobody complaining about companies trying to go full working from home. Companies profit a lot from working from home. they don't need to spend millions of dollars a year on working space, electricity, water, food, they can just offload that all on the employees.

Last edited:

Blizz

Oct 25, 2017
Out of curiosity, what's the largest known video game company building/campus?

swoon

Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit. I live in the area and this is...actually insane. Cary Towne Center has been slowly dying for years and there was talk of it being renovated and bought out for a while now, but I think most people expected it to just be another shopping center/mall. Epic buying it is pretty wild. It's only a mile or two from their current location btw.

it was supposed to be an ikea or an chinatown, which would have been more interesting, but it's neat that it won't be vacant/dying any longer.

HeWhoWalks

Jan 17, 2018
Yeah, there had been plans for exactly that at one point but they must have fallen through. It's a shame because I was also hoping they'd make it like North Hills. Crossroads right down the road isn't doing too hot either. A lot of the businesses there closed over the last year or two.
Yep. Cary overall needs revitalization. This now begs the question — what's going to happen with Dave & Busters (unless I missed it in the OP)?

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yep. Cary overall needs revitalization. This now begs the question — what's going to happen with Dave & Busters (unless I missed it in the OP)?
either relocated or will exit the city completely. Epic should totally make an arcade in its place. especially if they fill it with small games made by their devs

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
either relocated or will exit the city completely. Epic should totally make an arcade in its place. especially if they fill it with small games made by their devs
would also be cool if they would have projects from local schools be playable there or local gamejam projects.

spootime

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah as others have said, this place has been dying for the past decade. I used to have LANs here at Gamefrog (local LAN cafe) in middle school, good times. For Cary residents this is definitely a good thing in my mind, especially after IKEA passed on it.

MaxAugust

Jan 28, 2018
Seems like it would be a good purpose for an old mall. It'd be cool to see some photos after the renovation is complete.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
would also be cool if they would have projects from local schools be playable there or local gamejam projects.
kinda surprised they haven't funded game dev/programming classes in the area yet (unless they have and we just haven't heard about them). would be a great advertisement for their complex to hold competitions with schools competing against each other

zoltek

Oct 25, 2017
Product Management for a multi-national company of about 1200 employees. Why? Is this a gotcha?
No. Not at all. (Although it sounds like want it to be...? :) )

I was just curious, that's all. You have somewhat of a morbidly pessimistic attitude about the corporate world and I was just wondering if there was something in your professional background that could shed some light.

No antagonism intended. Thanks for responding.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Ewww an Epic campus basically.

Guess its Epic Campus time.

one already exists

It's actually a neat place to tour, though they came first and have no affiliation to Epic games.

and I know from people who worked there that despite epic.com clearly being a healthcare related thing, it didn't stop people from using the contact page and calling them to complain about issues in Fornite lol.

It should be noted that that epic campus has around 15,246,000 square feet to work with (350 acres). The story I've heard is they wanted to move to a bigger area outside the main area of madison and worked out a deal with some farmers. They didn't look at things closely enough and thought they were paying for 35 acres and were just paying a premium because they liked the location, and eventually learned it was 350 acres instead.

Nolbertos

Dec 9, 2017
Thats good that gaming companies buying malls now. Still congrats to Epic on creating a real life Fortnite world to play fortnite all across the mall.

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
I hear there are some chug jugs and few med kits over by the Dave and Busters. hopefully you don't get raided by crew over at Kiosk K5051 before you get there tho!

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Its gonna be a campus so I am sure they will have company apartments for onboarding. Its usually very hard and stressful to find a space to live when you move to another country so its nice to give new employees a space to live while they figure out a place for their own. I can see this dramatically cutting back the time you need to get up and running which is important for a company.

Where I work we have company apartments all over the city, these are all small apartments we can live in for free for up to 3 months while you look for your own space and it made the onboarding process a breeze. I could just focus on the game and the work and the team while I could take the time to look for a place to live. plus I could use the 3 months rent I did not have to pay to build up a small financial buffer to make the rent down payment.

I am not a huge epic games supporter in the last few years as they went from doing some really cool project to 100 percent fortnite and going power hungry, but having spaces for employees to relieve the stress they still get when working normal hours is just good. You can see it as BS to keep employees working over hours and I am 100 percent sure epic still has crunch, but its also just nice as an employee to have the ability to do some non work activities while still be able to get back to work easily by having a lot of things in the same building.

employees can still go somewhere else for lunch if they want to. its just easier to cut on commute and things like that.

There are so many pros and cons to having a company campus, to not having one, to working at home. You cant just call it a company gotcha to keep ppl there since everybody is different.

For example working from home is almost the same thing. Sure you work at home but then you also combine home with work, so you spend more time working. Its easier to keep working a few hours extra since you cut out on commute, you are in your comfy space, just work until you go to bed and I see nobody complaining about companies trying to go full working from home. Companies profit a lot from working from home. they don't need to spend millions of dollars a year on working space, electricity, water, food, they can just offload that all on the employees.
I've always loved the campuses I've worked at, and everything you mentioned w/r/t employee housing and food facilities checks out and will 100% be a part of their plan when building out their new campus.

Even non-campus companies like Valve has temporary employee housing in downtown Bellevue, which was pretty sweet. The new office was also in the same building as Epic (Lincoln Square East). Never did get to pop into Epic's floors, but their lobby looked pretty sweet 😀

breakfuss

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
That's cool actually, but man...isn't that right in the middle of Cary? What is that going to do to traffic lol?