• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I've notice this also. I just wanna be able to hide games from my library is that so much to ask?

Also "I'll never deal with Epic and their bullshit by not buying from their store!": Proceeds to boot up game - "Made with Unreal Engine" - sHrUgS

Madjoki

Oct 25, 2017
If it can't be cheated and can be made simpler or more readily accessible for developers

These are incompatible, either API is simple (like with Steam, single function call in SDK, Epic is unnecessarily more complex) and thus simple to replicate and easy to cheat or complex and harder to cheat.
Neither does help, if documentation if public (like Steam&Epic is) or someone is interested enough to create tool, and you're on open platform where users can run any code.

Epic actually does include achievement manager with their SDK, which can be used to cheat without need for third party tool.

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Having built a Gaming PC for the first time in almost two decades recently had me really nostalgic for the pre-DRM, pre-launcher days. Just install game and run it from the start menu, no extra bullshit required.
a bit off topic but you still kinda can do this.
GOG allows to download a DRM free installer and thus you don't need to use any sort of client. I think yo udon't even need to install their own client to download the installers.

That said very few popular companies put their games on GOG.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Because learning the viewpoints of other people can be interesting.
Ok fair nuff
I never understood achievements or their appeal until very recently
I'm no achievement hunter but I would rather play a game with achievements than the exact same game without. And honestly I can't pinpoint why, other than that I like that shit and that it's nice to have a little badge that goes with the time I put into a game I guess. Plus it's like a new objective to work toward, which adds to some games for me - and the stats that come with achievements can be interesting to look at.

Anyway, back to the point. I don't really care if other players cheat in single player games. As you implied, why should I?
Steam Achievements do nothing for me though, because they might as well be a checklist that you tick yourself, what with how easy they are to manipulate. Achievements usually have fun stats tied to them that I can view and I can use them to gain a little insight into the progress that friends and I are making in the games that they're playing. Nothing super important (else I wouldn't play games on Switch and PC) but when an achievement system is as easy to cheat as Steam's is, I just tune them out because very little of the fun data I can normally glean from achievements is even real there. Steam Achievements are basically extra objectives based on the honor system and I could do that myself

Falchion

Oct 25, 2017
Boise
They fixed the CPU usage bug relatively quickly, and I think they've been adding achievement to games from time to time (though the way they do it sucks and you need a community made spreadsheet to know which game has achievements, and if they are visible, etc).

I was wondering when achievement support was coming. Guess I need to look on the spreadsheet.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
I find epic downloads weirdly slow, it'll drop down to 0bps then write some data then download a bit and stop again. Makes me end up double dipping on steam just to get a version I can more quickly download for certain games that had the timed exclusivity

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
I would add one more thing that Epic is getting away with and that is exploiting their regional pricing. Publishers were complaining to Valve so much that they had to lock down cross regional trading/gift purchases. Meanwhile people are buying games from cheaper regions on Epic Store without any consequences using VPN since store started working.

Also we are 2 years later and developers still don't have open doors to the store and everything still has to go via Epic.

Madjoki

Oct 25, 2017
I would add one more thing that Epic is getting away with and that is exploiting their regional pricing. Publishers were complaining to Valve so much that they had to lock down cross regional trading/gift purchases. Meanwhile people are buying games from cheaper regions on Epic Store without any consequences using VPN since store started working.

Publishers signed contract where they allow Epic to sell games at any price Epic decides is right, so I guess publishers can't really complain about it. Epic doesn't care about selling at lower price if it means they get more users which is more beneficial from them.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
Publishers signed contract where they allow Epic to sell games at any price Epic decides is right, so I guess publishers can't really complain about it. Epic doesn't care about selling at lower price if it means they get more users which is more beneficial from them.

It is sh*tty because those same publishers are lockimg down their regions wherever they can and raising prices in cheaper regions while using excuse that people are exploiting regional pricing. Double standards i guess.

Madjoki

Oct 25, 2017
It is sh*tty because those same publishers are lockimg down their regions wherever they can and raising prices in cheaper regions while using excuse that people are exploiting regional pricing. Double standards i guess.

Imagine shit storm press would create if Valve pressured devs into proper regional pricing.
But Epic has remained relatively safe from criticism by press.
Also coincidentally Epic advertises on many of sites unlike Valve, totally no relation, but don't bite (at least not too deep) the hand that feed you?

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
Imagine shit storm press would create if Valve pressured devs into proper regional pricing.
But Epic has remained relatively safe from criticism by press.
Also coincidentally Epic advertises on many of sites unlike Valve, totally no relation, but don't bite (at least not too deep) the hand that feed you?

Well do you remember this?

FORCED DISCOUNTS, OR "REGIONAL PRICING"
Anyone who sells their game on Steam can expect that it will be available for purchase in markets all around the world; the platform's reach is global. Steam boasts to developers that it will handle local currencies for them in a seamless manner, allowing them to get back to the business of game development.

However, there's a catch. What many developers don't know is that Steam is discounting their games for them in these other markets — selling their game at a rate in euros, rubles, won and so on that works out to be anywhere from 30 percent to 60 percent off the original U.S. dollar price. That's an enormous discount, and it's one that many developers may not even be aware is happening.

www.polygon.com

Steam developers speak: Maximum profits for Valve, minimum responsibilities

Valve likes to take a cut of sales, but it doesn’t like to be responsible for the store

Madjoki

Oct 25, 2017
Well do you remember this?

www.polygon.com

Steam developers speak: Maximum profits for Valve, minimum responsibilities

Valve likes to take a cut of sales, but it doesn’t like to be responsible for the store

Yes. I also remember Epic commenting on that article, saying their store would provide more transparent regional pricing. (but seems like it ended up being very opposite). Developers input wrong price to Steam regional pricing, Sergey Galyonkin sees someone complaing on twitter or that russian forum about EGS costing more and goes to and makes EGS match price of Steam while developer is contacting Steam about fixing price.

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
If Sales were impressiv or at least good you could be sure that Sweeney would shout it from the roof that the multistore future is here etc pp.

Well it's not official numbers, but next week will be 1 year from Playtracker's Sales estimates on EGS in 2019, so you could compare that to estimates they have for Steam in 2020 on 1 year exclusives.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
Regarding sales. Epic Store grew up for sure. They had better results than year before. But that doesn't paint whole picture. They will never publish if their losses are bigger or smaller for example and that is important. One thing is sure, Epic Store is still not sustainable and profitable business.

VerySerious

Oct 25, 2017
It looks like they'll be adding new features soon; the Epic Games Launcher got updated to 12.0.0 with the following patch notes:

Epic said:
  • This update includes a new internal Epic Online Services component as a prerequisite for upcoming Launcher features
  • Bug Fixes

Trello

Organize anything, together. Trello is a collaboration tool that organizes your projects into boards. In one glance, know what's being worked on, who's working on what, and where something is in a process.

Deleted member 3190

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It looks like they'll be adding new features soon; the Epic Games Launcher got updated to 12.0.0 with the following patch notes:

Trello

Organize anything, together. Trello is a collaboration tool that organizes your projects into boards. In one glance, know what's being worked on, who's working on what, and where something is in a process.
Fingers crossed for an account avatar. Rocket League user banners have been so boring since the switch to EGS.