• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 26, 2017
First announced in December 2018, Epic Online Services is a suite of cross-platform game services—originally developed for use in Fortnite—that will be made available to the entire game developer community. In March, we released our first two free services, game analytics and a ticketing system.

Since then, we've been working closely with Epic Games store partners to integrate and prove out matchmaking, friends, and other service features. Successful game launches using these services include Satisfactory, Dauntless, and Borderlands 3.

We're continuing to refine the services to provide support for all platforms and stores in preparation for opening up the SDK for broad public release. Building the foundation has taken more time than anticipated and as a result we are taking down the roadmap ahead of GDC 2020, where we will share definitive plans and will provide an updated vision for the future of Epic Online Services.

We appreciate your patience as we continue to work towards our goal of providing the gaming industry with openly accessible online services.

ChemicalWorld

Dec 6, 2017
15 years later I'm sure their launcher will have a cart. At the end ofc. Because good things come to those that wait *sniggers*

jediyoshi

Oct 25, 2017
Why pay to do stuff when you can pass that cost along to devs to implement it themselves

Jun 14, 2019
been nearlly a year and im still waiting for the part where it benefits the consumer (as per tim sweeney said it would )

R.T Straker

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
They can spend millions of dollars on games but can't even implement basic features or keep their promises regarding certain updates.

Epic indeed.

Saty

Oct 27, 2017
Building the foundation has taken more time than anticipated and as a result we are taking down the roadmap ahead of GDC 2020, where we will share definitive plans and will provide an updated vision for the future of Epic Online Services.
So, only in March 2020 will they provide a timeline for when this services are planned to become available? We're looking at, what, 9-12 months delay from the original schedule?

Deleted member 3294

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Y'all, they're talking about the Epic Online Services roadmap, not the Games Store roadmap. Them taking that down is still potentially worrying, but it's a different thing.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Why is everyone worrying if it says they'll share the final vision at GDC

Golvellius

Banned
Dec 3, 2017
They suddenly realized that the future will be dominated by subscription services and that pouring too much money into a store that will be obsolete in a few years is probably not a good idea.

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
Nobody should have any faith in any timescales Epic gives, unless it's Fortnite or a date for them announcing their next moneyhat.

Why is everyone worrying if it says they'll share the final vision at GDC

Because that amounts to a ~9 month delay, minimum.

They could say at GDC (in March 2020) that it won't be done for another year.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
So that's Epic and Anthem that have removed roadmaps recently

It's almost as if they're bullshit mixed with wishful thinking when they're used to try and sell you stuff

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Not surprised. I expected a big delay once we learned that Borderlands 3 would not have crossplay at launch (the perfect game to market their services).

They got too greedy with their deadlines and expected everything to fall in place, but it all failed.

Eumi

Nov 3, 2017
Reminder that "more features are coming" is always a crappy defence for a shit product or service.

Argue on the merit of what's there, not what's promised.

Mik2121

Oct 25, 2017
Japan
All the people here talking about the store when this is about the Epic Online Services, unrelated to their store.
I thought posting without reading the OP was frowned upon. Guess not.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
So basically almost everything they announced regarding Epic ecosystem in past year was pure PR move.

This is why Valve and any other company with some sense stays silent until they have something concrete.

Oct 27, 2017
So basically almost everything they announced regarding Epic ecosystem in past year was pure PR move.

This is why Valve and any other company with some sense stays silent until they have something concrete.

Unsure what the "ecosystem" means, but if it is client functionality, then...

edit: ignore further, I read up about the services, you are right when it comes to announcing too early.

Regional pricing?
Refunds?
Cloud Saves Beta?
Preloading?
Third party store purchases?
Languages?
Playtime tracker?
Just shipped library refresh with search and list views?

Looking back at the state EGS launched, and the way it works now is a miles improvement and it is just like 8 months or something.

The meme-cart is missing, but you would have to actually buy something in the first place for it to matter.

Last edited:

tuxfool

Oct 25, 2017
Looking back at the state EGS launched, and the way it works now is a miles improvement and it is just like 8 months or something.
They don't get credit for improving on things that should be there on day 1 in the year of our lord 2019. Their technology base for the store has been around for much longer, there is no excuse for them to launch the way they did.

A polished turd is still a turd.

rein

Apr 16, 2018
Everyone who works in tech knows that deadlines are almost never met and are a pain in the ass. Posting their roadmap online to be seen by people who don't understand that was a very arrogant move by Epic.

DaiJyoubs

Oct 25, 2017
Meh, I have cloud saves now and have had no problems with them so I'm kinda fine with this. That roadmap was never adhered to anyway so if this actually makes it so they have a definitive plan then that's fine. This'll probably get overblown by all the YouTubers so can't wait for that in my feed.
Moreover, I understand the shopping cart is a meme but Xbox live didn't have them till last year. Something about shopping carts are hard to program apparently.
All the people here talking about the store when this is about the Epic Online Services, unrelated to their store.
Oops, I'm so used to seeing Epic Games Store that my brain didn't even realize the difference. My bad, thank you!

Last edited:

sheaaaa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

When their lagging behind on these services means the games they pay to keep off Steam are objectively worse experiences, then yes of course it's about their store.

Antitype

Oct 27, 2017
Unsure what the "ecosystem" means, but if it is client functionality, then...

Regional pricing?
Refunds?
Cloud Saves Beta?
Preloading?
Third party store purchases?
Languages?
Playtime tracker?
Just shipped library refresh with search and list views?

The meme-cart is missing, but you would have to actually buy something in the first place for it to matter.

What third party store? Humble Store? They control availability and pricing, Humble is only there so they can say "see we're not a monopoly".
This is what it looks like regarding third party on EGS, it's a joke: https://isthereanydeal.com/game/control/info/

Oct 27, 2017
They don't get credit for improving on things that should be there on day 1 in the year of our lord 2019.

A polished turd is still a turd.

It is alright to hate and bash the store, for whatever reason, as long as you don't deceive people.

If you say even after all the progress EGS is shit, whatever, you don't have to give them credit or praise for implementing features.
However, if you don't acknowledge that the features were even implemented, you are either uninformed or deceiving others.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
Removing roadmaps is good for the industry, gamers just don't see that

EGS launched in 2014.

As an insider, I'm not sure why you're joining in on the trolling when it's been pointed out that this isn't about the EGS features roadmap.

One would also expect that you'd know better than most how software development roadmaps can slip. But here we are.

Catshade

Oct 26, 2017
Y'all, they're talking about the Epic Online Services roadmap, not the Games Store roadmap. Them taking that down is still potentially worrying, but it's a different thing.

Some of it, like cross play and cross platform cloud saves, are inseparable extensions of their store/launcher service offering. That's like saying steam remote play or the new cross platform cloud save is 'different' from the steam store.

RetroDLC

Oct 27, 2017
Let's research some eCommerce solutions for Epic, the king of middleware, to implement a shopping basket/cart with.