• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
It's part of their current strategy.

Pretty sure Playstation has done it too, but no one complains about that.

pretty sure the fact that the vast majority of games on PS4 are also on Xbox shows that this is flat out nonsense.

So the public are outraged when games are being sold on EGS, and the public are outraged when games are NOT sold on EGS.

Shouldn't the "hard pass on everything not on Steam" segment of the public be celebrating instead, cause now they can buy the game.

I follow a lot of EGS threads and there are a lot of dumb straw man arguments made by people in them, but this probably takes the cake for the dumbest straw man argument I've seen among them all. Congrats.

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
I get exclusives, even though I think what Epic is doing is lame as hell. But I genuinely don't understand not wanting some games unless they are exclusive. Maybe there is something I'm missing, because this seems like it will be nothing but bad PR and missing out on revenue (even if not much).

Seems like a dick move.

Cup O' Tea?

Nov 2, 2017
I have pretty mixed feelings about EGS overall but at least the information in the OP lays waste to any ideas about Epic being pro-developer. This is straight up cynical capitalism, there is no altruistic side of this.

Nov 8, 2017
So the public are outraged when games are being sold on EGS, and the public are outraged when games are NOT sold on EGS.

Shouldn't the "hard pass on everything not on Steam" segment of the public be celebrating instead, cause now they can buy the game.

"The public" aren't a monolithic entity. I'm not "outraged" in the sense that I'm now missing this game (I'd never heard of it until now but it looks cool so I've wish-listed it), but this is a window into how they're letting games onto the store (or not). It's a relevant piece of information as part of the ongoing multi-thread conversation that's been going on for the better part of a year.

Nov 8, 2017
I get exclusives, even though I think what Epic is doing is lame as hell. But I genuinely don't understand not wanting some games unless they are exclusive. Maybe there is something I'm missing, because this seems like it will be nothing but bad PR and missing out on revenue (even if not much).

Seems like a dick move.

When asked why Epic's own legacy titles are available for sale on Steam and GoG buy not EGS, Sergei implied it was all a manual process. I would have to imagine its a combination of not wanting to bother with small, non exclusive games because it's extra effort and more space on their store which currently has no meaningful discoverability mechanisms. From a business perspective part of their pitch is that they don't have a crowded store but even now with the relatively modest offerings they have, it's starting to get a bit that way.

Oct 25, 2017
Hi! regarding the "crappy" comment that's getting you so much blowback- it's early, not crappy. Anyone with experience playing games in a pre-alpha state can tell the quality. Megan Fox is a developer with a fairly decent track record, and while her previous games may not have been top-tier indie they were at least solid. Skatebird had a demo for its Kickstarter that people really liked despite its obviously super-early, buggy nature. Going off the developer's track record it's fairly clear this is going to be a fun, cute, bird-based skateboarding title that will get plenty of polish and content before release and all the necessary support after.
I know. I was being sarcastic, I super like the demo.

In hindsight I should've added a /s, thought my stance on EGS in those threads would suffice.

Yarbskoo

Oct 27, 2017

It's almost like people want games to release on as many platforms as possible so they can benefit from direct competition.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
This is the same situation as everything else, just differently worded here. If this phrasing is what gets people to realize how awful Epic is being about all of this, so be it.

True Prophecy

Oct 28, 2017
Well I'm absolutely wishlisting this and picking it up when it's out. Any Devs that don't want to screw over customers is great imo. It sucks epics deal is more about holding games off steam than supporting Devs as they love to claim.

Also the amount of shilling on this site is wild at times.

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
I'm going to keep pointing out that the Epic Games Store can only handle adding a few games per week. They pretty much have to prioritize exclusive games because their pitiful excuse for a backend can't keep up with even a quarter of what releases on Steam. Though I imagine they won't stop if they ever get that sorted out.

I find it more interesting that Epic actually declined the game because they already promised Steam codes in their crowdfunding. So, Epic is realizing that they're pissing people off and they'd rather avoid that, which is, without exaggeration, astonishing.

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
I'm going to keep pointing out that the Epic Games Store can only handle adding a few games per week. They pretty much have to prioritize exclusive games because their pitiful excuse for a backend can't keep up with even a quarter of what releases on Steam. Though I imagine they won't stop if they ever get that sorted out.

I find it more interesting that Epic actually declined the game because they already promised Steam codes in their crowdfunding. So, Epic is realizing that they're pissing people off and they'd rather avoid that, which is, without exaggeration, astonishing.

The devs said Epic declined not because they promised Steam keys but because the devs refused to DROP Steam.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Took the words out of my mouth. I can hardly believe it, considering that Sweeney & friends have shown they're not above outright lying to people in order to get them to shut up or bicker amongst themselves for a while (like when they said they'd work to avoid poaching Steam games and Kickstarter projects mere weeks before their release and then immediately continued to do so, or like when they released a roadmap that has since been proven to be total bullshit).

It was to the point where I was convinced that they really just didn't give a fuck about optics anymore because they've got the money and the support to keep on trucking.

Mobyduck

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
Awesome game made by an awesome team. I'm glad they've found success through Kickstarter and I can't wait to see its full release. I recommend people follow Megan on twitter for great birb tweets,and the occasional insight on the gaming industry through the eyes of an indie dev.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Did you just bring up Hitler and then tell someone else to turn down the hyperbole?
Sick fucks are the worst of the worst of people. So that would include him, no? What else would you call him? I wasn't bringing it up because I likened him to anything the other poster said, it's just the definition of a sick fuck. Tim Sweeney is not.

Bringing up examples of where someone's hyperbolic language would actually fit isn't hyperbole in itself, no.

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
The devs said Epic declined not because they promised Steam keys but because the devs refused to DROP Steam.
That's not the wording the developer uses. That is probably closer to the truth, but it's unclear if the situation is;
Dev: We want to be on EGS
Epic: You already promised backers Steam keys so no
Or;
Epic: Hey you want to do an exclusivity deal
Dev: No but we'd be willing to be on both EGS and Steam
Epic: k nvm

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
So the dev backtracks to "maybe they just said they wouldn't money-hat us?"

Pretty clever way to get attention for your game. No shit they won't money-hat you w/o exclusivity lol

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Hasn't this been the case the whole time? I remember Microsoft saying something to the effect that they aren't putting their games on EGS because Epic demands exclusivity.

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
That's not the wording the developer uses. That is probably closer to the truth, but it's unclear if the Epic approached the developer and they refused exclusivity, or if the developer approached Epic who then denied them on their existent Steam key promise.

"[...]Epic doesn't want SkateBIRD. They say they're focusing on exclusives[...]" - sounds like someone asked whether they could also release on the EGS and the answer was something like "sure - drop your Steam release first". It's also kinda well known that Epic requests exclusivity for new releases.

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
I'd buy this game. I love grinding rails.

I also want a game where you're a ninja who plays tennis. So you go on these deadly assassination missions and sneak around but you also have to return the ball from your opponents.

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
"[...]Epic doesn't want SkateBIRD. They say they're focusing on exclusives[...]" - sounds like someone asked whether they could also release on the EGS and the answer was something like "sure - drop your Steam release first". It's also kinda well known that Epic requests exclusivity for new releases.
What I'm focusing on is
"SkateBIRD promised Steam keys in its KS, therefore, nah."
Which implies Epic now isn't going to consider games being crowdfunded and specifically promising Steam keys to backers.

I think I'll ask Megan about this, if she's okay with it.

DammitLloyd

Oct 25, 2017
Probably so we don't compare sales numbers between the stores. Even tho we all know the split will be in favor of Steam.

Mobyduck

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
What I'm focusing on is
"SkateBIRD promised Steam keys in its KS, therefore, nah."
Which implies Epic now isn't going to consider games being crowdfunded and specifically promising Steam keys to backers.

I think I'll ask Megan about this, if she's okay with it.
In the thread she answers she is not quite sure what is the real reason it was rejected.

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Confirmation of what I've thought: the only three ways of getting onto EGS is currently 1) signing an exclusivity deal, 2) giving the game in question away for a week or 3) be so monumentally massive for PC gaming that EGS not selling it would raise questions from the games press.

It's hilariously short-sighted, but that's basically describing everything Epic's done with the store so far, so it's not out-of-character either.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
So they turned away a small indie developer because reaching a larger audience was more important than taking Epic's money hat.

But who cares? Free games right??

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
A lot of the people posting in this thread are way more riled about this than the developer themself. It's interesting but I'm not morally outraged. EGS sees exclusives as the path to differentiating themself and drawing more customers to their storefront and since Skatebird can't offer them an exclusive, Skatebird is less valuable to them. This is particularly true because EGS still it seems has to spend significant resources simply to add games to their storefront.

Interesting but not outrageous. At any rate it changes nothing for me because even given the option I wouldn't be purchasing from EGS.

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
When asked why Epic's own legacy titles are available for sale on Steam and GoG buy not EGS, Sergei implied it was all a manual process. I would have to imagine its a combination of not wanting to bother with small, non exclusive games because it's extra effort and more space on their store which currently has no meaningful discoverability mechanisms. From a business perspective part of their pitch is that they don't have a crowded store but even now with the relatively modest offerings they have, it's starting to get a bit that way.

I can understand the curation pitch, but if it's true that this game (and presumably others) would be accepted onto the Epic store if it's exclusive it refutes that as a premise. At the very least it calls into question their management with this.

petethepanda

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
chicago
I'm not inherently against Epic going for exclusives (when it's not pulling the rug out from under something that has already promised other storefronts), but yeah, it sucks if they're not even interested in something they can't have for themselves. Glad to see Fox taking it in stride, though. (Which reminds me I still need to go back and finish Hot Tin Roof.)

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
A lot of the people posting in this thread are way more riled about this than the developer themself. It's interesting but I'm not morally outraged. EGS sees exclusives as the path to differentiating themself and drawing more customers to their storefront and since Skatebird can't offer them an exclusive, Skatebird is less valuable to them. This is particularly true because EGS still it seems has to spend significant resources simply to add games to their storefront.

Interesting but not outrageous. At any rate it changes nothing for me because even given the option I wouldn't be purchasing from EGS.
It's confirmation more than anything else. It's effectively proof that the main factor in whether a game gets on the Epic Games Store or not is whether the developer/publisher is willing to go exclusive or not, whereas before we could come to that conclusion, but not definitively.

I'm not inherently against Epic going for exclusives (when it's not pulling the rug out from under something that has already promised other storefronts), but yeah, it sucks if they're not even interested in something they can't have for themselves. Glad to see Fox taking it in stride, though. (Which reminds me I still need to go back and finish Hot Tin Roof.)
Shit, this the same developers? I backed that a long time ago and never really played it.