• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

MaLDo

Oct 27, 2017
In what way is EGS hitting you? Yes if you were a backer for Shenmue or had Metro pre ordered and the like I understand being up set but I doubt everyone here happened to be a backer of each kick starter game EGS money hatted. But thinking about it more everyone has a right to complain about what they want. I guess I'm just use to not having access to every game growing up with a genesis, a saturn and a dreamcast. I just enjoyed the games available to me.

1. They are spending lots of money to move already announced games in my preferred platform away from it.

2. They are cheating small developers with short term plans that will ruin the confidence of the players

3. They are rejecting games in their store if devs don't allow exclusivity deals.

4. They are reducing the threshold of minimum list of features expected in a gaming platform

5. They are affecting in Kickstarter projects setting a precedent about not being available on the original platform

Dr. Ludwig

Oct 31, 2017
I'm surprised that they haven't pulled their old unreal games from steam yet.

Their backend is so shit and are operating on the absolute minimum, it'd take them weeks just to get the Epic classics to their store.

Plus it's not useful ammo on their war against Steam so they won't bother.

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
7796931950a34c965da0150e09ee1580aee684eec2690bcd314e80831a43ed8b5d557e47.jpg

images

Look at the 3 titles in the middle

Please tell me what I'm missing here, I can't tell what I'm supposed to be seeing.

Deleted member 11008

User requested account closure
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Please tell me what I'm missing here, I can't tell what I'm supposed to be seeing.

The Goose game, Shenmue and The Sinking City as games you can be interested if you google skatebird. Dant21 offer me a reasonable explanation, but I think it happened too fast o_O it would be cute (and creepy) if Google could know somehow which games are in danger to be involved in a EGS controversy before even happen xD

This could just be Google itself making the association since all 3 are being discussed across the internet with the commonality of "EGS/Epic Game Store" being attached to most of it.

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
The Goose game, Shenmue and The Sinking City as games you can be interested if you google skatebird. Dant21 offer me a reasonable explanation, but I think it happened too fast o_O it would be cute (and creepy) if Google could know somehow which games are in danger to be involved in a EGS controversy before even happen xD

OHHH that's what he meant by titles. I was staring at the video titles in the middle of the screen and I couldn't understand what I was missing.

Jun 26, 2018
Those anime rape games probably won't make it.

What do you mean? QuanticDreams' games made it unto EGS just fine.

Steams failures in preventing harmful and bigoted content to appear on their platform is something that is worth going after them for, and they have been and will continue to be for as long as it remains a problem. Inversely they are also dragged for their overzealous restriction on LGBT games. This does not mean that Epic automatically is a better platform, because they let no one, but a privileged few unto their store. Also if you failed to understand the joke, QuanticDreams' games almost all feature one or more creepy rape scenarios.

Last edited:

HellofaMouse

Oct 27, 2017
i mean, it sure is an interesting tidbit.

but throwing a storefront with infinity money that may eventually become your business partner under the bus isn't a good move for your own business.

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017
I have never heard of this game till now.

Epic marketing is brilliant.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
This. It's obvious that in a time when store is rolling out and they're taking in limited number of games and if there's a game without exclusivity deal and a game with one, that they choose to focus on option that takes the deal, which is much more beneficial for them.

Which is completely at odds with their "developers first" PR.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
I honestly just don't get it.

here, i'll solve the mystery for you
I honestly don't care

People care about having access to the games on the service of their choice. Nobody is happy to have their libraries fragmented. Nobody is happy they have to use so many services to get the content they watch, nobody likes being inconvenienced, be it by logging in to so many different services, not having access to the features they use (controllers, family share) or having to remember which service offered which game. It's all a giant headache, more barriers to bullshit you don't have to put up with in the console space. Playnite/GOG are bandaid fixes to the bigger problems of the market. And even then, they can't fill in all the gaps. None of this is a boon to the customers, the persons you and I are. So lets stop pretending that this is for the consumer good, when the big man himself can't find even one grounded reason as to why people should buy their games from their store outside of "we're not letting developers sell it anywhere else"

Vash63

Oct 28, 2017
It's pretty clear to me that Epic is just after Steam (and to some extent GOG), they don't seem to mind games being on other closed but not hugely significant platforms like the Windows Store. I don't see why the outrage is so hard for people to understand, they're coming into this whole thing with the most anticompetitive methods possible... anyone who likes to see open markets should be completely against their goals of paying the creators to limit consumer purchasing choice. At every level this is anticonsumer.

In related news, Valve has been busy funding the open source XRDesktop (not tied to SteamVR, open for all headsets), Proton 4.11 including a new kernel futex feature for synchronizing memory across multi-threaded scenarios (open source, patches go back to wine and are also not restricted to Steam in any way), glibc and linux kernel updates for the futux feature (again open to all applications not Valve only) and plenty more things that are generally GOOD for the consumer instead of just paying to hurt your competitors. Nice sarcastic summary I saw earlier today that covers the last month or two of some of their development, but this goes back many years and is always done in an open and pro-consumer way.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017

but throwing a storefront with infinity money that may eventually become your business partner under the bus isn't a good move for your own business.

That is what I was thinking, it is a nice short term gain over the popularity of hating on Epic and getting your game more exposure, but if you are making more games in the long term this could bite you in the ass

olag

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
That is what I was thinking, it is a nice short term gain over the popularity of hating on Epic and getting your game more exposure, but if you are making more games in the long term this could bite you in the ass
Why? Outside of limited competition the main advantage of being on epic is the fees associated but at this point if your not on the epic gamestore this early getting on it later isn't gonna be any better than going on steam/origin/gog cause it's gonna get increasingly hard to get noticed anyway

Oct 27, 2017
What if Tim "Delboy" Sweeney is playing 4D chess with us ? He knows we don't like this exclusive bullshit and EGS is getting a lot flack for the exclusive bullshit they are doing. Sooooo by making skatebird a defacto steam "exclusive" he can spout verbal diarrhoea on twitter crying "wah wah why you picking on poor little me and my poor little company when steam has exclusives too wah wah wah". After all it isn't the first time Tim has tried to lay the blame for Epics tactics at steams door.

Well it is either that or Tim and co couldn't manage their way out of a paper bag.

PrimeBeef

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What if Tim "Delboy" Sweeney is playing 4D chess with us ? He knows we don't like this exclusive bullshit and EGS is getting a lot flack for the exclusive bullshit they are doing. Sooooo by making skatebird a defacto steam "exclusive" he can spout verbal diarrhoea on twitter crying "wah wah why you picking on poor little me and my poor little company when steam has exclusives too wah wah wah". After all it isn't the first time Tim has tried to lay the blame for Epics tactics at steams door.

Well it is either that or Tim and co couldn't manage their way out of a paper bag.
But it won't work. Steam has never money-hatted a product to be on Steam only. They don't require or force games to be Steam only.

PrimeBeef

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Believe it or not, a lot of people in the world are capable of doing multiple different things in a day.
That is a classic deflection technique. Of course people do ot spe d the entire day ot all the time they have bitching about EGS. But posters like the one you quoted want to make that the issue instead of the BS EGS is doing.

Drek

Oct 27, 2017
Y'all just really want reasons to rage at Epic huh?

They rejected a developers application for free money when that developer is definitely releasing primarily on Steam. Wow, what a surprise.

Their indie grant program is obviously in service to stocking EGS with exclusive content. Not surprising.

Their PR about just doing it for the devs was obviously bullshit, we've known that for months.

At some point you'd think people would just get the point of what EGS is doing here and move on with their lives. When they do something actually relevant then the rage might be justified, but this is just a bitch-fest fueled by already known issues with EGS and probably more by their lack of bandwidth than their market strategy/policy.

Good on the dev using the Epic hate boner to rack up extra sales though, get that paper.

Primal Sage

Virtually Real
Nov 27, 2017
I just have to say its absolutely nuts seeing the PC platform getting the equivalent of "console exclusive games"

It's not equivalent though. With console exclusives you need to buy a new piece of hardware. You might not have the room for it or the money.

Nothing is stopping a pc user from getting a game on Epic's store apart from brand loyalty and the aversion to have a second launcher.

PrimeBeef

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean.... that is how business works? Epic has a specific strategy and not every game is a fit for that. They are a storefront selling games. People acting like this is Epic taking a personal jab or something at the developer are completely missing the mark here.
I understand the point of a store and they are well within their rights not to sell items they do not wish. The issue is quite different. The issue is the money-hatting field exclusives that prevent or delay releases on other storefronts and removing other games that were once on other storefronts for preorder. Also removing games from platforms/storefronts that were kickstarted with those in mind. Has nothing to do with not wanting a particular game on theirs.

elyetis

Oct 26, 2017
It's not equivalent though. With console exclusives you need to buy a new piece of hardware. You might not have the room for it or the money.

Nothing is stopping a pc user from getting a game on Epic's store apart from brand loyalty and the aversion to have a second launcher.
quoting myself from a similar comparison with console exclusivity :
What is the biggest differentiator for you ? how much it cost to buy a console compared to the ( free ) price of a new launcher ?

If so, let's ignore any other issue other than price then, and take Metro Exodus as an example, a steam key before the game became exclusive : 39.5€; EGS price in europe after the exclusivity deal : 59.99€.
If every games were to be similary impacted, the increase in cost given how much I spend in games, would cover more than the cost of a ps4 pro.. every year.

Cecil

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017

"The aversion to have a second launcher" is quite the simplification of an issue that there's more to.

Using the brand loyalty term is also a sign of you perhaps not completely understanding the situation fully.

LabRat

Mar 16, 2018
I mean.... that is how business works? Epic has a specific strategy and not every game is a fit for that. They are a storefront selling games. People acting like this is Epic taking a personal jab or something at the developer are completely missing the mark here.

the thing is Tim Sweeney keeps saying how he is doing this for the industry and especially for indie devs who are suffering under the 30% cut that valve takes on steam

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Naaaahhhh i think you really did tell someone to check the hyperbole while claiming they were comparing tim sweeney to hitler. I think there was a theme going about calling anyone with choice words an unhinged rage gamer and you got a little carried away.

This situation is confusing to me but fuck epic and damn that's a cute bird.
I did not claim they were comparing Sweeney to Hitler at all. What? I just think "sick fucks" is reserved for actual sick fucks, not people like Sweeney. He's an asshole no doubt, but language matters and "sick fucks" doesn't apply here and is indeed a hyperbolic thing to say. That's all I said.

Maybe don't read too much into things and tell others what they actually meant next time lol.

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017

Imagine calling yourself a sage, thinking you are wise and that you know your stuff so you gotta make a post and end with nonsense like this.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
I did not claim they were comparing Sweeney to Hitler at all. What? I just think "sick fucks" is reserved for actual sick fucks, not people like Sweeney. He's an asshole no doubt, but language matters and "sick fucks" doesn't apply here and is indeed a hyperbolic thing to say. That's all I said.

Maybe don't read too much into things and tell others what they actually meant next time lol.

It seems like we both get up for work at the same time and both dislike putting words in people's mouths.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It seems like we both get up for work at the same time and both dislike putting words in people's mouths.
Problem is I never did that. I never said they compared Sweeney to Hitler, I said "sick fucks" isn't applicable to Tim Sweeney and brought examples where it actually is.

While you act like I accused the other poster of comparing Sweeney to Hitler, which is the very definition of putting words in people's mouths.

If you can't see the difference I don't know what to say, have a nice work day.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle

But you spelled Skatebird wrong.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
At some point you'd think people would just get the point of what EGS is doing here and move on with their lives. When they do something actually relevant then the rage might be justified, but this is just a bitch-fest fueled by already known issues with EGS and probably more by their lack of bandwidth than their market strategy/policy.

Epic has put up a "we're doing this for the struggling developers" PR facade. This situation is an example of them not actually caring much for developers if they can't use them as a weapon against Valve.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017

Just my opinion, but she's totally fine to say her game didn't make it into the store. She honestly doesn't seem to fussed with it and even said in her tweet that things could change after launch. The game not making it into the store isn't 'throwing your business partner under the bus', it's simply stating a fact and I highly doubt Epic would hold it against them, they're a business and deal in money, not hurt feelings.

Anyways, combing through Tim's recent tweets, these seem to suggest that they are purposely limiting the amount of games they're accepting because of infrastructure not being in place yet and IIRC a while back he said that they're choosy about titles because they need to be set-up manually so deals get priority.

InspectorJones

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Epic not being interested makes me 1,000 times more interested in this title. Your loss Tim, it looks like a fun game but I guess that's not the most important factor when deciding which games to put up on your storefront.

Teh_Lurv

Oct 25, 2017

The cost of the platform providing access to the game doesn't change the fact that if the game is restricted to single platform for the purpose of boosting the desirability of that platform, it's an exclusive game.

The contention people have with EGS is that it was initially billed as a platform to open up PC digital gaming from the near-monopoly of Steam, with lower prices for consumers and better terms for developers. What we're fast approaching instead are competing walled-garden platforms, which does nothing to improve competition for consumers.

Daouzin

Oct 28, 2017
Arizona

Yeah, this is all I see as well. I assume it's because I don't follow interviews and what TS has said or official statements from EGS, but if EGS spends money to keep a game off Steam I 100% get it and it has zero effect on me since I don't have strange brand loyalty to Steam.

HOWEVER, it appears people in other parts of the world are forced to spend more money in their region so it's actually a big deal if they can't get it on Steam with the prices they are used to paying. That's 100% a good enough reason for me to be like, yeah, that sucks. I'd be upset too.

So carry on.

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
EGS business model right now is that they want exclusives. I don't know why this is surprising or bad. It's just what their business is. Exclusive new products is what they want.