• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

twisted89

Oct 27, 2017
Which would require you to purchase two to even get this kind of speed. Like I understand skepticism, but some of you are borderline concern trolling at this point. Sony isn't stupid enough to make a comment knowing that a majority of you are going to pull up Newegg on a tab and try to pull a gotcha!

Yeah, because they have a great track record for never misleading customers, like claiming 4k when it's up scaled 2k...

Oct 28, 2017
User Banned (5 Days): Trolling, prior ban for similar behavior
oooooew gurl, some of you are getting hot 'n bothered over these quotes 😂

Uhtred

Alt Account
Banned
May 4, 2020
Obsolete? 99% of PC's next year will be weaker....

Uhm... according to Hardware Steam stats it's more like 94%, and that's today. Nevermind when these things are actulaly out, much less years later as the poster you quoted is actually stating.

6% of PC gaming is still a lot of PC's, Over 10 million easy. And that's months before these consoles come out, and with a lot of people waiting to upgrade once new GPU's form AMD and Nvidia and the consoles and new games like Cyberpunk hit.

It took Sony like 8 months to sell that many PS4's? And it looks like this time around the PS5 is probably not going ot be the same price.

It was better for consoles in the 360 generaiton, when literally no GPU's could match the console hardware for like a few months after they came out. And even then PC's surpassed them pretty quick.

By mid gen it was actually HARD to build an entry level gaming PC that wasn't running games at much higher resolutions and frame rates than a 360.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
Which would require you to purchase two to even get this kind of speed. Like I understand skepticism, but some of you are borderline concern trolling at this point. Sony isn't stupid enough to make a comment knowing that a majority of you are going to pull up Newegg on a tab and try to pull a gotcha!
We will wait to see if this is true.

Dec 8, 2018
Uhm... according to Hardware Steam stats it's more like 94%, and that's today. Nevermind when these things are actulaly out, much less years later as the poster you quoted is actually stating.

6% of PC gaming is still a lot of PC's, Over 10 million easy. And that's months before these consoles come out, and with a lot of people waiting to upgrade once new GPU's form AMD and Nvidia and the consoles and new games like Cyberpunk hit.

It took Sony like 8 months to sell that many PS4's? And it looks like this time around the PS5 is probably not going ot be the same price.

It was better for consoles in the 360 generaiton, when literally no GPU's could match the console hardware for like a few months after they came out. And even then PC's surpassed them pretty quick.

By mid gen it was actually HARD to build an entry level gaming PC that wasn't running games at much higher resolutions and frame rates than a 360.

And how does 5-10% of PC's being more powerful make console obsolete.... 95% of PC's being more powerful would not make them obsolete...

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
While I agree it's skewed. I don't think it's that skewed based on the GPU stats. Like 70% of the listings are discreet GPUs, and it's telling that the top GPU is the 4 year old 1060 which is basically for a 1080p gaming machine.

As I said I don't think it will be that big of an issue, but I also think folks are overstating how many have SSDs, and more specifically higher end SSDs.
The 1060 is still king because the PC GPU market has been mostly stagnant since 2016, there is really no affordable successor to it at the moment with a big enough performance increase for the price.
Turing is a joke outside of RTX/DLSS, it performs like a Pascal refresh, but double the price.

trembli0s

Oct 28, 2017
This forum is going to explode in rage when the Ampere gets unveiled and the pc/console wars ramp up to fever pitch.

Uhtred

Alt Account
Banned
May 4, 2020
And how does 5-10% of PC's being more powerful make console obsolete.... 95% of PC's being more powerful would not make them obsolete...

True, I took his post as saying they would be overhsot in terms of performance. YEah, consoles will probably never be obsolete, until a new gen comes out (or streaming takes over).

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
I think today effectively punctured that narrative, promoted data throughout into a new light as far as visual performance goes. I think a more nuanced outlook is required now, if it wasn't already. Both these machines may each have strengths over the other on different aspects of the tech stack shown today.
What's wild is logically one should have thought this already just looking at specs. Even this gen, for whatever reason the PS4 wasn't using AO or AF well or like it should, I can't remember which now. And some base XBO games looked sharper.

There will always be pros and cons, always.

Sabin

Oct 25, 2017
The 1060 is still king because the PC GPU market has been mostly stagnant since 2016, there is really no affordable successor to it at the moment with a big enough performance increase for the price.
Turing is a joke outside of RTX/DLSS, it performs like a Pascal refresh, but double the price.

Jup, there is a reason why Nvidia stopped producing and pulling the 1080TI from the shelves super fast because turing is pretty much pascal with some RT cores attached with a minimal performance uplift. I would even argue that turing is the worst chip series nvidia has produced in the last 7-8 years.

Uhtred

Alt Account
Banned
May 4, 2020
Jup, there is a reason why Nvidia stopped producing and pulling the 1080TI from the shelves super fast because turing is pretty much pascal with some RT cores attached with a minimal performance uplift. I would even argue that turing is the worst chip series nvidia has produced in the last 7-8 years.

It wouldn't have been if they ahd launched with:

1. DLSS 2.0 out of the gate.
2. With official support for RTX and DLSS 2.0 on as many games as they could get on board.

But alas.

Oct 25, 2017
Let's say that the Unreal Engine 5 demo had an initial load time of the average UE4 demo you can download from the Unreal Marketplace, or the average UE4 AAA game. What I want to know is how much of the work of the fancy PS5 SSD could be offloaded to RAM? Could we see dual system requirements going forward?

Like:
32GB ram, PCI-E 3.0 3.5GB/s SSD
16GB ram, PCI-E 4.0 7.5GB/s SSD

I'm fine with either as someone planning for a 64GB rig, but this seems like a potential (short term) pain in the ass for people with small form factor pcs.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
"Storage architecture" encompasses more than the drive itself. The PS5 has custom hardware dedicated to I/O that you won't find in off-the-shelf PC parts. That's the point he's making:

He's saying, yes, you can buy an SSD of similar speed, but there's more to processing data than simply reading it from a drive.
Thank you. I came to post this after reading that reply.

I think some ppl get to a certain point and come to post without reading the whole article. I'm guilty of it at times.

Uhtred

Alt Account
Banned
May 4, 2020
Let's say that the Unreal Engine 5 demo had an initial load time of the average UE4 demo you can download from the Unreal Marketplace, or the average UE4 AAA game. What I want to know is how much of the work of the fancy PS5 SSD could be offloaded to RAM? Could we see dual system requirements going forward?

Like:
32GB ram, PCI-E 3.0 3.5GB/s SSD
16GB ram, PCI-E 4.0 7.5GB/s SSD

I'm fine with either as someone planning for a 64GB rig, but this seems like a potential (short term) pain in the ass for people with small form factor pcs.

We might be able to guesstimate based on Cerny's numbers in his presentation and what was said mentioned by the devs in the UE5 demo. But it's would be super speculative at this point. Anyone remember what Cerny's numbers were about how much data throughput he expected to be required for streaming a frame's worth of assets? I would watch the video again, but that man is so zen, than I would last 2 minutes before I would fall asleep.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have to imagine that more Sony first party games will be coming to the PC in the future and they'll probably land on EGS first. That would probably help explain how this reveal came about. Sony scratches Epic's back and vice versa.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Because they are still in the market for PC and Xbox games. PC gaming is pretty big so there already was an incentive for devs to target SSD's and scale it down for consoles. They didn't.

But sure about the how the SSD was being used, but the Epic folks said the engine was scalable.

If both MS and Sony make it easy to take advantage of the speeds, I wouldn't be shocked to see it happening sooner than some think.
You're comparing apples and oranges here, since when SATA SSD's compare to 5.5GB/s NVMe SSDS?
Not only that, how many PC games are being developed with SSD in mind, or as a minimum requirement?

Hell, MS just started using a Blu ray drive this gen for games.

If there is a component you are not targeting when developing, you can't just say "well, this has been out for x amount of years, are being used by so n so".

iswasdoes

Nov 13, 2017
Londinium
Even if you're a PC-only gamer you should always be excited for a new console generation because it significantly ups the baseline hardware.

great point. The gains we're getting will be felt across the board

Wont be truly felt for a few years but this gen will start to push boundaries we can only imagine pretty soon. Much more than a spec bump I feel

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
Upset? Lol

Nobody is upset. Early on in this thread people tried to rewrite history and act like this hyperbole never happens leading up to a new console launch. When, in fact, it always does. Both consoles will be great, but acting like these unique architecture designs will cover up other key specs is laughable. Just like it was with the PS2's emotion engine, just like it was with PS3's cell, just like it was with PS4's RAM, and now just like it is with PS5's situation.

How about a compromise? I'll agree there's always some hyperbole heading into a new console generation if you agree some disingenuously conflate reactions of one thing, such as the Cloud, with the speed of the SSD and complementary chips as if they are similar at all. Deal?

Moebius

Oct 28, 2017
This really goes to show how pc game graphics are generally limited by the consoles. Yes, games can run and look better on pc, but the underlying technology is only pushed forward by whatever becomes popular in the console space. It's going to really be insane to see what pc games look like next gen if this is how they look on consoles. Very exciting times.

Mecha

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Honduras
This really goes to show how pc game graphics are generally limited by the consoles. Yes, games can run and look better on pc, but the underlying technology is only pushed forward by whatever becomes popular in the console space. It's going to really be insane to see what pc games look like next gen if this is how they look on consoles. Very exciting times.
That's only because the PC space is an open non regulated platform, it's hard to norms to stick when there isn't a single entity pushing for it. There sure are some exceptions like Raytracing and how Nvidia has push it forward with RTX, now AMD is following suit and implementing it in their graphics cards and next gen consoles. It goes back and forth, but consoles backed by multimillionaire companies helps a lot.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
That's only because the PC space is an open non regulated platform, it's hard to norms to stick when there isn't a single entity pushing for it. There sure are some exceptions like Raytracing and how Nvidia has push it forward with RTX, now AMD is following suit and implementing it in their graphics cards and next gen consoles. It goes back and forth, but consoles backed by multimillionaire companies helps a lot.

NV didn't make ray tracing a thing from thin air with 2000 series announcement.

It has been coming for long time now. NV, AMD and MS even worked together on standardizing needed technologies into DX12 API. It's why AMD is able to come out with their own solution for ray tracing now, they have been working on it for years too.

sun-drop

Banned
Aug 21, 2018
wellington , new zealand
this just underlines how sony have maybe made the smart call as to where to invest silicon, its all that custom tech they have put between the core and SSD .. that's where series x, and PC fall way behind ..its not just a case of finding an SSD that's a match of the one in PS5

Mecha

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Honduras
NV didn't make ray tracing a thing from thin air with 2000 series announcement.

It has been coming for long time now. NV, AMD and MS even worked together on standardizing needed technologies into DX12 API. It's why AMD is able to come out with their own solution for ray tracing now, they have been working on it for years too.
Of course, what I mean is the industry moves forward from innovation in the console, PC and even the mobile space.

I'm very positive and happy to were the industry is headed, including streaming.

AZ Greg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How about a compromise? I'll agree there's always some hyperbole heading into a new console generation if you agree some disingenuously conflate reactions of one thing, such as the Cloud, with the speed of the SSD and complementary chips as if they are similar at all. Deal?

Why do you guys keep bringing up the cloud thing and trying to make this a Sony vs. MS thing? Hyperbolic marketing is hyperbolic marketing.

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
Why do you guys keep bringing up the cloud thing and trying to make this a Sony vs. MS thing? Hyperbolic marketing is hyperbolic marketing.

Because time and time again in threads discussing SSDs, especially Sony's SSDs, people talk about "power of the cloud" or "secret sauce" as if there is anything comparable to the tech or the discussions that stem from the tech.

Alex840

Oct 31, 2017
Even though the PS5 seems like the lower spec machine on paper, so many devs seem to be impressed by it. Super intrigued to see what folks like DF think of it when it comes out.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
But he says Epic's strong relationship with Sony means the company is working more closely with the PlayStation creator than it does with Microsoft on this specific area.

We all know Sweeney's previous (or maybe he still does) issues with Microsoft and Windows as well. Until I see the same game performing on each system I will remain skeptical of his comments. He's already had Epic game store deals with Sony's titles.

Jonnax

Oct 26, 2017
Is 1440p/30 something the pc world aspire to??
Yes. Totally:

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 11.46%
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 8.10%
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 5.17%
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 4.04%
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 2.43%
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 Ti 2.43%
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 2.38%
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 2.21%
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 2.10%
AMD Radeon RX 580 1.85%

The top 35% of GPUs are not going to do much better.

But in PC world somehow everyone has the most expensive GPUs and NVMe SSDs.

The PC gaming baseline is less than a PS5/XBX today.

But also 2.14% of or people have a 4k display.
And 5.91% have a 1440p display.

63.83% have a 1080p display.

Oct 27, 2017

Good ol' Tim has been on the front page of Era a few times and is always lambasted due to the BS he says.

www.resetera.com

Tim Sweeney (Epic Games): Companies should divorce from politics, Android is a fake open system, iOS is worse, "respect Gamer rights and freedoms"

https://venturebeat.com/2020/02/12/tim-sweeney-android-is-a-fake-open-system-and-ios-is-worse/ https://www.ign.com/articles/epic-games-boss-says-all-politics-should-be-removed-from-games Thats also the same guy, that, after Alex Jones was banned from Twitter, that companies should not decide...
www.resetera.com

'Tim Sweeney implies that due to the EGS, Valve implemented new features and HL:A'

Competition lead to the release of a game thats been in development for 4 years and Client features that have been released and teased before.

Jonnax

Oct 26, 2017
who's saying that?

but even just 1% of Steam users thats 1% of 100+million people

So if you're making a game are you making your potential audience 1% or at least 50% of users?

Even the steam survey says most people have 4CPUs. Fine with Jaguar but with Zen2 will that work?

Plenty of people are saying that PC already has this technology. That SSD tech isn't going to change games and that it's all marketing because they've got a PCIe4 SSD in their PC.

ChrisJSY

Oct 29, 2017
I'm just glad this is going to push development behind having games utilise much faster drives.
Games now don't even really fully utilise SSD.

It's going to ruffle feathers, but HDD's need to be relegated away from high performance & games.

Perfectsil

Nov 8, 2017
San Diego
So if you're making a game are you making your potential audience 1% or at least 50% of users?

Even the steam survey says most people have 4CPUs. Fine with Jaguar but with Zen2 will that work?

Plenty of people are saying that PC already has this technology. That SSD tech isn't going to change games and that it's all marketing because they've got a PCIe4 SSD in their PC.

100+ million is a huge diverse user base , if you're making a graphics intensive game you're not targeting people with low power laptops. And targeting only the pc gamer enthusiasts (let's say the top 5-10%) is not some niche market it's millions of users

Jonnax

Oct 26, 2017
100+ million is a huge diverse user base , if you're making a graphics intensive game you're not targeting people with low power laptops. And targeting only the pc gamer enthusiasts (let's say the top 5-10%) is not some niche market it's millions of users
Okay. The list of GPUs I posted are not laptop GPUs.

And yes. Games are made for consoles. And then You scale it up for PC.

The new consoles are much more powerful so if they're running at 1440@30 then you're going to need a much more powerful pc for 4K@60.

But the majority of PC users have mid range systems.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN

Is this where we pretend that current-gen has given any real and forcing reason to go for 8c / 16t CPUs or 1080 or above GPUs?

Hardcore will have latest shit, that is just name of PC gaming, so they have latest Ryzens and 2080Tis. That more casual PC gamer who is fine with 1080p at high FPS or 1440p with bit less FPS? They haven't had real reason to get new HW in long while. Maybe they got spicey and got bit bigger SSD, but CPU and GPU upgrades?

Also you are right, SSDs are nothing new. Speeds PS5 and XSX are doing with custom solutions are very intriguing and as a whole a lot more convincing packages than current-gen.

Next-gen may be that push that PC player hasn't had in long while to build with latest HW. What kind HW average gaming PC packs in 2023 will be interesting see, hopefully needle moves as everyone would benefit.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I never caught up with all the next gen stuff, is there a difference between the ps5 and series X SSD's?

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
I'm not sure why people are so resistant towards newer consoles bringing up the baseline of games from 1080p to 1440p. All it does is make the PC versions better. It's pretty puzzling.

Not to mention, ~88% of Steam users are using a primary monitor 1080p or lower.

Smashed_Hulk

Jun 16, 2018
This is great for PC gamers because we should all want the low bar to be pushed higher when new consoles release.

Sweeney is right about the SSD in the PS5 and even the XBSX. The PS5's is pretty much above what you can get right now with it's raw 5.5 GB/s max and the XBSX is 2.4 GB/s, but, more importantly, both have hardware to reduce latency, compress/decompress, drastically reduce cpu overhead. This is key right here. The additional hardware "acceleration" for the i/o.

No, the PC won't be left behind as the 2nd gen of pcie 4.0 nvme ssd drives start coming out, and more importantly, when MS releases DirectStorage on PC as it will bring some of those features in XBSX to PC.

I can see a day when requirements will not only list storage size, but storage type as well. "50 GB storage, nvme SSD"

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
Yes. Totally:

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 11.46%
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 8.10%
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 5.17%
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 4.04%
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 2.43%
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 Ti 2.43%
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 2.38%
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 2.21%
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 2.10%
AMD Radeon RX 580 1.85%

The top 35% of GPUs are not going to do much better.

But in PC world somehow everyone has the most expensive GPUs and NVMe SSDs.

The PC gaming baseline is less than a PS5/XBX today.

But also 2.14% of or people have a 4k display.
And 5.91% have a 1440p display.

63.83% have a 1080p display.
OK but why would Epic, who are traditionally PC developers, suggest they only create games that can only do 1440p and 30fps because that is what the console is capable of with this demo? There is nothing wrong with supporting a platform that can scale as time goes by just as there is nothing wrong with a console gamer who wants a system that doesn't change for 7 years. I don't know why you seem to be suggesting they ignore the top end just because there isn't as many.

We want the bar raised but we also don't want that bar to stop for 7 years just because you enjoy consoles more.

Smashed_Hulk

Jun 16, 2018
I never caught up with all the next gen stuff, is there a difference between the ps5 and series X SSD's?
Yes. Sony uses a custom 12-channel SSD controller to give it crazy speed. 5.5 GB/s raw data, 9 GB/s compressed data.
Series X has a decent SSD at a sustained 2.4 GB/s raw data, 4.8 GB/s compressed data. Both have dedicated hardware to reduce latency and to handle the compression/decompression.

it's basically twice as fast as Series X, but both are very fast in comparison to the max 150 MB/s found in the One X.

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
I'm not sure why people are so resistant towards newer consoles bringing up the baseline of games from 1080p to 1440p. All it does is make the PC versions better. It's pretty puzzling.

Not to mention, ~88% of Steam users are using a primary monitor 1080p or lower.

In the "post-resolution" future, if AA techniques are good enough that games look crisp and clean at 1080p on a monitor, that may mean that weaker PC hardware would be able to manage console-competitive graphics at least.