• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Respawn

Dec 5, 2017
Can people cut this sort of shit out?

I fucking read the article, that's why I'm posting what I did.

why don't YOU work on your reading comprehension?

From the fucking article ^
Keep cursing like that at me and it won't be good for you. The capability of the drive is beyond what the consumer PC sector can do is not there yet. His Unreal 5 engine takes full advantage of the drive to saturate and take advantage of it's bandwidth. So much anger at the reveal of great tech. If it it was Disney revealing something like this for their cg movies much of this angry commenting wouldn't exist but since it's on a console we must arm ourselves.

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
PS5 will support external SSDs, so even PS5 exclusives will need to run on these off the shelf SSDs as a baseline, whatever lowest speed SSDs they allow
The SSD will be internal, there's an expansion bay. And the SSDs need to be "certified", they don't guarantee support for any SSD.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
It will be a long while before we see any of that on PC.

Sony uses heavily modified architecture. Will they sell their method or something?

IMO windows 10 is a (the) bottleneck. MS's architecture sucks so much...
I wished game developers would have moved to Linux at the least, I doubt a gaming OS would be made, but at least Linux could be customized around gaming, or can avoid all the bloat that comes with Windows 10. (video title) "Follow this guide to make Windows 10 update 2934.4b v.2 game ready". I hate going through all of that stuff when I get a big update and it re enable some things or add more things to disable.

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
www.resetera.com

PC Gaming Era Poll: Are You Using A HDD Or SDD To Run Your Games?

i have 2 nvme SSD drives for my PC. :) 1tb Samsung 970 Pro and 1tb Samsung 970 Evo :)

Not scientific, but I bet these results are reflective of the PC Gaming community writ large. Anyone in the last ten years that's put a GPU in their computer to play games has almost definitely also put in a SSD. Knowing about GPUs and knowing that SSDs are dollar for dollar the most impressive performance enhancement hardware available goes hand in hand. I'm sure there are millions of PCs being used to game that don't have SSDs, but most PC Gaming is done by ultra casuals that use a box they got from Dell or HP and wouldn't even dream of installing a graphics card, let alone swapping the OS drive. The audience playing AAA games on PC is already defaulting to SSDs. I don' think it would be controversial if AAA games right now started listing SSDs as minimum hardware.
We also shouldn't forget that the people who actually regularly buy AAA games on PC, even today, are a small subset of PC gamers, and so any references to things like the Steam hardware surveys don't really go anywhere. And despite it being only a portion of PC gamers, that hasn't stopped devs/publishers from putting out AAA games on PC by the truckload.

Carbon

Deploying the stealth Cruise Missile
Oct 27, 2017
I'm sure the SSD in the PS5 IS impressive, but no one outside of Sony first party is going to fully utilize and design their games around that throughput.

NVMe 3.0 speeds will be the standard eventually, but I can't see mulitplats abandoning SATA SSDs support ANYTIME soon. I don't expect NVME 3.0 as a min spec until at least 2023 (very likely later than that) with the current rate of adoption.

dep9000

Banned
Mar 31, 2020
Define "near".

PCI-E 4.0 should bring really nice speed increases to NVMEs, but that is 2021 - 2022 stuff.

Surpassing PS5 and XSX spike top speeds can be bit grayer area because both consoles use those custom compression and decompression chips to enhance storage performance.

I give it few years once big publishers move away from cross-gen.
Thanks for the response. That's further out than I would have thought! But I guess few PC games will TRULY take advantage of the SSDs until devs focus on next gen only and not the cross gen stuff. And that isn't likely to happen until at least the end of 2021.

I guess I will hold off on building a new PC for now.

Nov 2, 2017
We also shouldn't forget that the people who actually regularly buy AAA games on PC, even today, are a small subset of PC gamers, and so any references to things like the Steam hardware surveys don't really go anywhere. And despite it being only a portion of PC gamers, that hasn't stopped devs/publishers from putting out AAA games on PC by the truckload.
That's true for all platforms though.

AZ Greg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ah, the lead-up to new consoles. Some things never change. And yes, these things happen every generation. Nobody was calling the PS4 CPU a low-tier laptop CPU at the start of the generation. That is revisionist history. It was all sparkles and rainbows and things developers had never been able to do before.

How quickly people forget about "Supercharged PC Architecture" lol

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
header.jpg

In b4 'that doesn't count because it's not a behind the back third person story game with trees'

I think I was pretty clear with my caveat for "a handful of games". This is in comparison to the heyday of PC gaming in the 90s and early 2000s where a huge part of the industry was largely focused on the platform and pushing the medium forward from a technical and design perspective. DOOM, Deus Ex, Thief, Half Life, FarCry, Wing Commander, WRPGS, Battlefield etc. The PC gaming arena has recovered significantly over the last generation from a very bad period during the mid and late 00s, but it's obviously not the same. In that that context, in regards the what Sweeney said back then, and what happened to developers who were PC focused(like Epic) prior to the arrival of the Xbox 360, the market for making AAA and exclusive PC games absolutely did die off, entire genres and companies disappeared, and it has only very recently recovered. I mean I think it's telling that Microsoft essentially killed it's PC gaming efforts for a decade, and only recently came back to it.

Even the most shitty prebuilts come with a 240gb SSD these days.

Steam stats tell us that ~25% of users still have dual core CPUs, and only ~45% have 16GBs+ of RAM. In that context it's pretty likely that the number of users who are playing games from SSDs, let alone SSDs and related systems even close to what we are talking about here, are probably fairly low at the moment. It's still seen as non-essential compared to say a new GPU.

I'm sure there will be fairly rapid adoption because of what is happening in the console space, but taking advantage of newer SSDs essentially requires a new build all together, whereas it's a little bit easier with GPUs you can plunk them into systems 5+ years old and get most of the benefits.

Rats

Oct 25, 2017
Can people cut this sort of shit out?

I fucking read the article, that's why I'm posting what I did.

why don't YOU work on your reading comprehension?

From the fucking article ^

"Storage architecture" encompasses more than the drive itself. The PS5 has custom hardware dedicated to I/O that you won't find in off-the-shelf PC parts. That's the point he's making:
Sweeney isn't saying that you can't get a comparable M.2 drive for your PC, even now if you want to shell out for it. Rather, he's saying the custom drive Sony created and the way it interacts with the overall PS5 data management system makes it faster and more impressive from a development standpoint that anything a consumer could readily buy today, especially considering PC developers aren't yet building games that take advantage of such speeds.

He's saying, yes, you can buy an SSD of similar speed, but there's more to processing data than simply reading it from a drive.

Corine

Nov 8, 2017
I think I was pretty clear with my caveat for "a handful of games". This is in comparison to the heyday of PC gaming in the 90s and early 2000s where a huge part of the industry was largely focused on the platform and pushing the medium forward from a technical and design perspective. DOOM, Deus Ex, Thief, Half Life, FarCry, Wing Commander, WRPGS, Battlefield etc. The PC gaming arena has recovered significantly over the last generation from a very bad period during the mid and late 00s, but it's obviously not the same. In that that context, in regards the what Sweeney said back then, and what happened to developers who were PC focused(like Epic) prior to the arrival of the Xbox 360, the market for making AAA and exclusive PC games absolutely did die off, entire genres and companies disappeared, and it has only very recently recovered. I mean I think it's telling that Microsoft essentially killed it's PC gaming efforts for a decade, and only recently came back to it.

Steam stats tell us that ~25% of users still have dual core CPUs, and only ~45% have 16GBs+ of RAM. In that context it's pretty likely that the number of users who are playing games from SSDs, let alone SSDs and related systems even close to what we are talking about here, are probably fairly low at the moment. It's still seen as non-essential compared to say a new GPU.

I'm sure there will be fairly rapid adoption because of what is happening in the console space, but taking advantage of newer SSDs essentially requires a new build all together, whereas it's a little bit easier with GPUs you can plunk them into systems 5+ years old and get most of the benefits.
I wouldn't rely on Steam hardware stats for anything. I don't know anyone who opts into those. I don't give info to anyone and haven't for years.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018

This is what i mean by steam stats are shit, people sign in on their old laptop to play DOTA2 & people pretend that's the average PC, the most popular resolution gives away that laptops muddle the stats.

Airbar

Oct 26, 2017
Never realized I played on a dead platform back then. Seems all the PC communities didn't get the memo either :(

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
"Storage architecture" encompasses more than the drive itself. The PS5 has custom hardware dedicated to I/O that you won't find in off-the-shelf PC parts. That's the point he's making:

He's saying, yes, you can buy an SSD of similar speed, but there's more to processing data than simply reading it from a drive.

If that were the case, the CPU overhead of decompressing, even if you use a i9-9900k to its fullest, would surpass 9GB/sec.

It's certainly BETTER to offload that workload on a fixed platform, but it's not faster...

CrispyGamer

Banned
Jan 4, 2020
This thread is so embarrassing. How are some of you so in your feelings, salty, defensive, and fanboyish over this statement?

Lmao i just finishing up reading the comments and it's absolutely embarrassing...we should all be excited about the future after today's showing of actual real time gameplay instead of the usual smoke & mirrors

Gemüsepizza

Oct 26, 2017
If that were the case, the CPU overhead of decompressing, even if you use a i9-9900k to its fullest, would surpass 9GB/sec.

It's certainly BETTER to offload that workload on a fixed platform, but it's not faster...

The hardware decompressor in the PS5 equates to 9 Zen 2 cores, and the DMA controller equates to 2 Zen 2 cores, and then there are also co-processors for I/O and memory mapping which means that you would probably need a 20 core Zen 2 CPU to decompress that amount of data while playing a game. An i9-9900K can't do that, you might even struggle with a high-clocked 3950X, but a 3960X threadripper for ~1500€ should have enough processing power.

www.eurogamer.net

Inside PlayStation 5: the specs and the tech that deliver Sony's next-gen vision

Sony has broken its silence. PlayStation 5 specifications are now out in the open with system architect Mark Cerny deli…

-Le Monde-

Avenger
Dec 8, 2017
Dunno what people can't grasp what he's saying. It will help push things forward by raising the baseline. There's no need to get all nasty over it.

John Omaha

Oct 25, 2017
This is what i mean by steam stats are shit, people sign in on their old laptop to play DOTA2 & people pretend that's the average PC, the most popular resolution gives away that laptops muddle the stats.
Are they really muddying the stats though? If the vast majority of PC users are playing MOBAs on low-spec hardware, then that's just what the market is. Those playing on high-end rigs are the exception, not the norm.

twisted89

Oct 27, 2017
"The new drive, which Sony claims is faster than any on-market device available right now"

Hahaha what? Calling BS on this, if you can't provide hard numbers to back this up you might as well just go the whole mile and claim the entire console is better than anything ever invented, ever...

Kuma

alt account
Banned
Apr 15, 2020
"The new drive, which Sony claims is faster than any on-market device available right now"

Hahaha what? Calling BS on this, if you can't provide hard numbers to back this up you might as well just go the whole mile and claim the entire console is better than anything ever invented, ever...

I thought the SSDs in PS5 aren't even out on the market for PC yet?

Gemüsepizza

Oct 26, 2017

But it's true? The fastest single-drive SSDs you can buy right now can only do 5 GB/s. The PS5 can do 5.5 GB/s, and 9 GB/s with decompression.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
The hardware decompressor in the PS5 equates to 9 Zen 2 cores, and the DMA controller equates to 2 Zen 2 cores, and then there are also co-processors for I/O and memory mapping which means that you would probably need a 20 core Zen 2 CPU to decompress that amount of data while playing a game. An i9-9900K can't do that, you might even struggle with a high-clocked 3950X, but a 3960X threadripper for ~1500€ should have enough processing power.

www.eurogamer.net

Inside PlayStation 5: the specs and the tech that deliver Sony's next-gen vision

Sony has broken its silence. PlayStation 5 specifications are now out in the open with system architect Mark Cerny deli…
Yeah this seems a bit much, reminds me of PS4's early hype. We will see anyway, gonna be some bans when we see PC vs NG Console benchmarks for sure, the shitposting gonna be on point.

XR.

Nov 22, 2018
Are they really muddying the stats though? If the vast majority of PC users are playing MOBAs on low-spec hardware, then that's just what the market is.
If you sell a graphically intensive game, then no that's not what the market is. You cater to a different market, you look at different numbers.

Kuma

alt account
Banned
Apr 15, 2020
PC owners don't worry your open box will always be superior. Nothing wrong in admitting that things like this move gaming and especially dev time forward. We all win.

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017

It's not hard to look up, just find an NVMe SSD that can push 5.5GB/s available for sale.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL

www.eurogamer.net

lol c'mon bruh

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
It's not hard to look up, just find an NVMe SSD that can push 5.5GB/s available for sale.
It's seem a lot of people are pretending PS5's are in their living room right now, E18 NVME's are not out yet, just like PS5. Sweeny/Sony bragging about the PS5 SSD is a half truth, there is no SSD on the market that fast at the moment, but PS5 isn't out yet either.

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
That off-the-shelf SSD only has two levels of data-criticality (vs six on PS5) and is only just a part of the puzzle. It's the surrounding I/O as well (like the Kraken hardware decompressor, DMA's etc.). You need an 7GB/s of-the-shelf m.2 SSD to have a chance of having it work with the PS5 in the first place (and again, leaning on the surrounding PS5 I/O).

Raguel

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Christ this thread is a fucking embarrassment. Like literally it just implies that ps5 allows for greater development across the board due to baseline improvements but some of y'all so damn insecure that you feel attacked and are looking at stuff to attack. Jesus

Last edited:

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017

The fastest consumer SSD is 5GB/s atm, we'll have 7.5GB/s coming out in a few months...probably before PS5 launch.
Additionally Ryzen 3 CPUs are the only CPUs that can actually make use of PCIe 4.0 speed, every other CPU including every single Intel CPU tops out at PCIe 3.0 speed i.e. 3.5GB/s.

twisted89

Oct 27, 2017
The fastest consumer SSD is 5GB/s atm, we'll have 7.5GB/s coming out in a few months.
Additionally Ryzen 3 CPUs are the only CPUs that can actually make use of PCIe 4.0 speed, every other CPU including every single Intel CPU tops out at PCIe 3.0 speed i.e. 3.5GB/s.
Fair enough, I didn't see those specs listed in the OP and the wording made it sound like they had yet to provide them. 2 of those in RAID would beat the ps5 though.