• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Unreal on PS5

Unreal+Engine%2Fblog%2Fa-first-look-at-unreal-engine-5%2FUnreal_Engine_5_Gallery_1_ALT-2160x1214-6599ca93295364b5d9cd0c34a203426baf38c4b8.jpg

Unreal on PC

PC_Game.png
PC officially dead, boys
The context provided by the article seems to be talking about AAA development on PC, which yeah is basically dead outside of stuff like Star Citizen.
????

it most certainly is not. lol

Expy

Oct 26, 2017

orava

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 10, 2019
Consoles take PC hardware and give something back too. Everybody wins.

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
Well yes, that's my point. It isn't the hardware itself that will drive future upgrades, it's new games.
Yea, I think that's the point. If the console hardware causes the software developers to start pushing towards a new standard (minimum level of SSD I/O) then this is what PS5 hardware is pushing.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
Yea, I think that's the point. If the console hardware causes the software developers to start pushing towards a new standard (minimum level of SSD I/O) then this is what PS5 hardware is pushing.

If that is Tim Sweeney's point then I have absolutely no idea how this is any different than any other previous console generation. It has been the case since I don't know how many years that consoles as products aimed at the mainstream market set the baseline for a number of years.

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
Same as every generation. It's great!

As usual, PC and Console inform each other in a lot of interesting ways. At the start of a generation, generally the console capabilities more fixed nature establishes where games go, an PC augments that. The PC hardware is already there (or in the case of nvme drives, already exceptionally close) and with even more capable hardware out before the console even release

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
What other big budget games are being made as PC exclusive or PC first at this point? Outside of a handful, everything is developed for the lowest common denominator, i.e. console ports.
Games like Cyberpunk and Control were developed on PC as a lead platform regardless of whether they are "exclusive". I think that was the point they were making.

In terms of actual exclusives though, sure it's a handful. I suppose you could include Gears Tactics and Flight Sim perhaps.

But I like the fact that PC is more powerful than consoles, and that games are developed first and foremost with consoles in mind, because it means those games run at 60fps+, 4k and with all the bells and whistles on PC. If that makes sense.

Jroc

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
I can't wait for us to find out the real non-marketing scoop on SSDs.

How fast is "fast enough"? Will 2.4GB/s lead to a compromised experience? Will 5.5GB/s be placebo-tier?

I want to get an SSD for games on my PC, but I don't want to spend $200 for a 1TB drive that will be outdated come 2021.

-Tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Oct 26, 2017
Games are software no?

PC have had SSDs for years yes, but how many games require them?

PlayStation Studios pretty much have one SKU to focus on (outside of multi-plat games like MLB etc.) so they have a minimum spec SSD to target.

So when Sony actually puts out a game that requires that much data, then they release that game on PC... this is when it will drive PC as a platform to adopt SSDs? Which it already did years ago?

Dream_Journey

Oct 25, 2017
All right, I get it, that makes sense if SSDs are a standard, though I'd say it makes it a standard for all gaming, not "PC gaming" specifically, it's that wording that tripped me up. But yeah it'll be nice if we stop seeing "squeeze through gap in cave" sequences to mask loading once and for all. (Although that demo did show that anyway... 👀)

I think they did this because to show how amazing were those rocks, i said god daaamn!..

Oh, also release the PC 2 already! xp

Elios83

Oct 28, 2017
I simply take this with the fact that PC games will see a big uplift in minimum requirements in the next couple of years.
Seems pretty realistic to me.
Having such powerful CPU, GPU and fast SSD in a closed architecture where everything is optimized to reduce bottlenecks will have consequences.
I find more interesting the comments about Sony's involvement in the development of the engine and the fact that the system seems to be really fast and balanced in all the aspects of the pipeline.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
I can't wait for us to find out the real non-marketing scoop on SSDs.

How fast is "fast enough"? Will 2.4GB/s lead to a compromised experience? Will 5.5GB/s be placebo-tier?

I'm already excited for when benchmark organizations like GamersNexus get their hands on next-gen consoles and start to run SSD tech benches against what is available on PC.

Give me all that raw non-marketing flavored performance data!

Deleted member 35631

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 8, 2017
It's so weird to me that Sony will not (seemingly) sell their SSD as an option to upgrade for PS5.

I know they said they will support off-the-shell SSD, but I'm the meantime, they should be packing the same SSD on the console and sell them! Many people will buy them for PS5 AND PC.

Dec 15, 2017
I still remember the supercharged PC architecture... I don't buy any of those console pre launch claims. Hell if my GTX 670 had 4 GB of Vram I would still be gaming on that just fine.

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
So when Sony actually puts out a game that requires that much data, then they release that game on PC... this is when it will drive PC as a platform to adopt SSDs? Which it already did years ago?
Not PCs to adopt SSDs.

For PC games to start using SSDs are a minimum spec, so that the I/O is expected at minimum.

Perfectsil

Nov 8, 2017
San Diego
PS5 will support external SSDs, so even PS5 exclusives will need to run on these off the shelf SSDs as a baseline, whatever lowest speed SSDs they allow

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
The majority of PC owners don't have SSDs, I think. It would be required from that point on.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
People are really questioning this? Multiplat devs are absolutely going to get tired of speccing their games to work on HDDs given how easy next-gen dev will be in that regard. I remember 8-core CPU adoption picked up pretty damn quick after 2013, as well.

PS5 will support external SSDs, so even PS5 exclusives will need to run on these off the shelf SSDs as a baseline, whatever lowest speed SSDs they allow

Incorrect, they said you can use any external drive you want for fridge storage. They will release a list of approved SSDs that meet the requirement that you will be able to install in the expansion bay, you won't be able to play a PS5 game from a drive slower than the stock SSD

Deleted member 35631

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
It is really weird that he is saying the PS5 SSD is beyond anything you can buy on PC because it is factually not...?

There are PCIe gen 4 SSDs on PC doing 8 or 9 GB/sec UNCOMPRESSED...

so it's just marketing lies now?

What I got from Mark Cerny conference is that it's not only the speed, but the way it was built. I think it has many more "threads" or something to access information more quickly simultaneously, which normal SSD in the market don't have yet. That's the reason that Sony will have to approve SSDs to be used in the PS5.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
What other big budget games are being made as PC exclusive or PC first at this point? Outside of a handful, everything is developed for the lowest common denominator, i.e. console ports.
Total War Games, Age of Empires 4;

Basically everything Firaxis or Sega Europe, or Paradox Game Studios makes;

Every MMO out there (not my genre, but there are tons of them)

Dec 4, 2018
Billionaire CEO praising hardware of a company his own company has close ties with including marketing deals.

Im shocked.

I am curious. Do you also follow comments made by Carmack and make the same comments?

Wonder what that last part is about. If that close collaboration is substantial then it might mean a lot for (multiplatform) games running on UE5 on the PS5/PC's with a faster SSD.
I think it's mostly marketing speak though and I don't expect any significant upgrades compared to the XSX versions of games.

I don't think so. There is custom hardware and the article is saying Epic has been there along the way which implies they've been working with the API / interface and possibly helped in its development. What this means is that UE5 is ready to take advantage of the PS5 SSD which is what you want to advertise to game developers / studios. This is more than some generic "take advantage of SSD speed."

Perfectsil

Nov 8, 2017
San Diego
Incorrect, they said you can use any external drive you want for fridge storage. They will release a list of approved SSDs that meet the requirement that you will be able to install in the expansion bay, you won't be able to play a PS5 game from a drive slower than the stock SSD

how is what you said different than what I said?

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
It is really weird that he is saying the PS5 SSD is beyond anything you can buy on PC because it is factually not...?
There are PCIe gen 4 SSDs on PC doing 8 or 9 GB/sec UNCOMPRESSED...
so it's just marketing lies now?
PCs don't have hardware decompression.
We also don't know how things like 4K random reads perform on the PS5 compared to NVMe drives on PC. That's where a lot of NVMe drive performance falls short even if they can do 5GB/s sequential.
What I'm waiting for is next-gen Optane drives - those are the real upgrade over earlier NVMe SSDs.

Even if you're a PC-only gamer you should always be excited for a new console generation because it significantly ups the baseline hardware.
I'm not exactly thrilled about having to wait until there's hardware fast enough to push these 30 FPS games to 90–120 FPS. Or paying for it.

Oct 27, 2017
5.5GB/s ... not so overkill afterall?

Seems storage throughput will be a key improvement for pushing visual fidelity.
The effective typical throughput of 8 to 9 GB/s compressed is what is really impressive. The fact this thing can handle 22 GB/s compressed in ideal albeit limited scenarios is almost unbelievable. It's not just the SSD but the whole of the hardware-accelerated architectural improvements to the I/O Pipeline in general that's making this possible. I think people really underestimated Cerny when it came to this decision. This really is looking like it was indeed a game changer.

Jroc

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
People are really questioning this? Multiplat devs are absolutely going to get tired of speccing their games to work on HDDs given how easy next-gen dev will be in that regard. I remember 8-core CPU adoption picked up pretty damn quick after 2013, as well.

Not really.

AMD only started selling a mainstream 8-core in 2017, and Intel only jumped in with the 9900K in late 2018.

The FX 8350 was closer to a 4C/8T chip due to the way the "cores" were set up (according to Windows 10 anyway lmao). The PS4 CPU was so weak that a 4C Sandybridge i5 could still dominate it with half the threads.

Deleted member 61469

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 17, 2019
Sony doesn't have to show the console or any game to trounce MS attempts at marketing. Shows how out of touch their marketing department is.

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
All right, I get it, that makes sense if SSDs are a standard, though I'd say it makes it a standard for all gaming, not "PC gaming" specifically, it's that wording that tripped me up. But yeah it'll be nice if we stop seeing "squeeze through gap in cave" sequences to mask loading once and for all. (Although that demo did show that anyway... 👀)

lol I remember that cover, classic
I don't think that was to mask loading.

Smashed_Hulk

Jun 16, 2018
how is what you said different than what I said?
You were implying that games would need to be designed based on external USB SSDs since the ps5 supports usb ssd, but games cannot be played directly from the usb ssd, which can only be used as cold storage for games or to run bc ps4 gamws.
To actually play the ps5 games, it needs to be installed to the internal ssd or the expandable ssd slot for ssd drives approved to work.

Azerach

Oct 29, 2017
User Banned (3 Days): Platform warring
A coffin dance gif of an alienware PC would be nice to rile up the warriors.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Lol come on folks, you cant possibly think that the cave squeeze was to mask loading after watching the flight sequence.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
I find the fact that this demo ran at 1440p kinda cool

Just so pointless going for true 4k and i'll always say that, especially with how many upscaling techniques that we have now.

4k is objectively nice, it's super clean and i've seen it with my own eyes toggling between 1440p and 4k on the Witcher 3 + AC Unity, but it is a massive waste of resources when there's so many other things that could be prioritised.

isahn

Nov 15, 2017
Roma
I'm really curious to see what are going to be the recommend PC specifications for the Unreal Engine 5 titles. Expecially for storage bw, host and device memory

Deleted member 19533

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is false. Sony already said they'd let us know which drives we'll be able to use as they will not be in the consumer space at launch (meaning current hardware we can buy will not work). Faster drives will be releasing at a later date after PS5 launch. They will not allow drives slower than their internal drive--it will be the new standard.