• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Half-Life yes was first party

But Tomb Raider on original Playstation was not.

Halo was not for most of its development cycle until it was bought out
Tomb Raider was also out on the saturn and was not exclusive. The exclusive argument that everyone else does it and it's fine isn't a good arugment and fails instantly., Like Linkark said.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Tomb Raider launched also on the Sega Saturn...

And the cut was mainly to entice AAA developers who have their own store to also launch in Steam (and big devs in general), case in point Microsoft, Bethesda or Bungie.

Custódio

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil, Unaí/MG
Either way, we don't know if Sony paied Enix to not release it on the Saturn after it was almost done. Probably not, unless we get some proff or evidence that tells otherwise.

We are not talking about consoles here, though. This shit is new on PC, where it doesn't have a place.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And most EGS exclusives are released on EGS, PS4 and XBO
When the purpose of egs exclusives is to take away games from steam, yeah it is. It's why people have such an issue with it. If they paid to make exclusive games and not specifically pay to take it away from steam. it wouldnt' be an issue. Your points are disenginous.

Either way, we don't know if Sony paied Enix to not release it on the Saturn after it was almost done. Probably not, unless we get some proof or evidence that tells otherwise.

We are not talking about consoles here, though. This shit is new on PC, where it doesn't have a place.
I'm betting they didn't because when the dreamcast was released it got an tomb raider game. They didn't want to port the game to the n64.

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
That's... a take. Devs have every incentive to make great games: to sell more units, to sell more additional content to the players they have, and it's their reputation on the line!

And calling funding "charity", lol.
Funding without any milestones, goals, or oversight is charity.

Devs (or the customers who claim to know the reason of the devs) who take Epics money because they would fail in the free market otherwise, have no incentive to change. To make a game that can compete on the free market, to make a game that would stand out, to make a game that is succesfull even if only 10.000 people buy it (i.e. budgeting realistically).
(I am talking about the argument that the devs are taking the money because they would close or would have no success otherwise.)

Oct 27, 2017
Either way, we don't know if Sony paied Enix to not release it on the Saturn after it was almost done. Probably not, unless we get some proff or evidence that tells otherwise.

Sony did engage in buying temporal exclusivity at the time (Mortal Kombat Trilogy, off the top of my head). But in the end they didnt even need it since the PSX was desirable product for consumers and made business sense to publishers.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
from the wikipedia article on tomb raider:
A month before release, Eidos finalised a deal with Sony Computer Entertainment to keep the console version of Tomb Raider II and future games exclusive to PlayStation until the year 2000.[8][9]

[8]aujam, Mathieu; Price, James (11 April 2006). "Previous Adventures". Lara Croft Tomb Raider Legend Complete Guide. Piggyback Interactive. pp. 174–179. ISBN 1-9035-1181-X.

[9]GameTrailers (17 February 2013). Tomb Raider Retrospective Part One (Video). GameTrailers.

Custódio

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil, Unaí/MG
Sony did engage in buying temporal exclusivity at the time (Mortal Kombat Trilogy, off the top of my head). But in the end they didnt even need it since the PSX was desirable product for consumers and made business sense to publishers.

I've played Mortal Kombat Trilogy on the N64. Wikipedia says it was released on other consoles as well.

Nice. Also:

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Halo was demoed at E3 2000, and that was the PC version. Then MS acquired them, the game came out for Xbox and didn't come out on PC for another two years. People love MS today.

Wasn't GTA3 paid to be Playstation exclusive?

Oct 27, 2017
I've played Mortal Kombat Trilogy on the N64. Wikipedia says it was released on other consoles as well.

Nice. Also:
It had a 6 month exclusivity

Halo was demoed at E3 2000, and that was the PC version. Then MS acquired them, the game came out for Xbox and didn't come out on PC for another two years. People love MS today.

Wasn't GTA3 paid to be Playstation exclusive?
Nice try with the gotcha attempts but it doesnt work like that

TioChuck

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
People have to stop trying comparing EGS from Steam in 2004, the landscape in that era was immensely different than today.

There was no model of digital distribution to be based off, the only digital distribution model at the time was things like emule and shareaza.

EGS has all lay down to then, and they still fucked up with they bare bones model.

We, maybe, can´t even consider Half-Life 2 as an exclusive, because there was nowhere to distribute the game digital besides steam, unless you gave people an exe to download.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
If they paid to make exclusive games and not specifically pay to take it away from steam. it wouldnt' be an issue. Your points are disenginous.
I'm not talking about whether it's ok to pay to deprive certain platforms from access to a game from a moral point of view or whether it "has a place" on PC

I'm saying that what he said rings true from a business development perspective

Custódio

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil, Unaí/MG
I know that console exclusives is a thing. It happened a lot during last gen too. But, just because some shitty thing happens somewhere it doesn't make it ok to bring it to where it doesn't belong.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not talking about whether it's ok to pay to deprive certain platforms from access to a game from a moral point of view or whether it "has a place" on PC

It may ring true from a business prospective but that doesn't make it right or a good thing. Exclusives with how epic are handling it is actively making PC gaming worst for everyone that's a fact as well.

z1ggy

Oct 25, 2017
Argentina

It doesnt because so far doesnt seems to be working well for EGS, which had to do a mega sale. No wonder Epic couldnt secure any big title on E3.

And MS is the real threat for EGS, not Steam 🤷‍♂️

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
GOG are actively in the process of rewriting their client so last year's numbers are going to be down because their spending is way up.

With - it's worth mentioning - a very desirable feature as far as my games collection is concerned that is currently pretty much unique to GoG, and - if they pull it off - an excellent selling point against Steam's feature set.

And I'd hazard a guess that CDProjekt don't have the same amount of resources to throw at this development than Epic do.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
Yep, and you probably saw in Tim's tweets in the OP his comment that Steams 30% of every sale often ends up being more money than the profit a developer makes. Let's say a game cost $5M to make, sold $10M on Steam, developer got 70% means profit of $2M, Steam got $3M with zero risk and little cost. That's not enough to self-fund the next game.

So?

In the real world said game would also release on consoles, and if they're smart, other PC launchers.

Nobody's stopping them from doing these things, so I'd blame the developers for mishandling their game. They should be putting their game on as many platforms as possible, and not limiting it to one single outlet.

Edit: On a side note it's disgusting that cherry picked console exclusives across different generations are used to justify Epic starving launchers of a multitude of games.

I guarantee y'all will be holding up consoles paying for online as justification for anyone that tries to do the same on PC. Whatever serves the billion dollar corporations.

BrutalInsane

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
It makes me shake my head that people still don't understand why what he's doing is a step back for PC gaming and are willing to go to bat for some Jeffrey Dahmer looking motherfucker that doesn't give a shit about them.

Jun 14, 2019
Why are people comparing this to console exclusive.

They are literally buying thing to stop it releasing on one major distribution store.

The best comparison would be some new game store opens up and uk wise stops amazon and game uk from selling the last call of duty for a year because reasons.

It would be completey ridiculous and stupid

XR.

Nov 22, 2018

If what he says rings true to you, I assume there's some precedent (or assumption) that the EGS will be profitable at some point. So the question is, how and when will that take place?

History has shown us that in order to maintain a sustainable business you need consistent exclusives (that is dominantly self owned/published) and/or a good service people want to use. There's no guarantee EGS will have any of those considering they've said they're not going to use this strategy long term and that they're not going to compete with Steam in terms of features.

Even if people buy all current exclusives that are available on EGS, what's their incentive to stay invested in their ecosystem? Why would they buy a game that is also available on other stores?

thebishop

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
People have to stop trying comparing EGS from Steam in 2004, the landscape in that era was immensely different than today.

There was no model of digital distribution to be based off, the only digital distribution model at the time was things like emule and shareaza.

EGS has all lay down to then, and they still fucked up with they bare bones model.

We, maybe, can´t even consider Half-Life 2 as an exclusive, because there was nowhere to distribute the game digital besides steam, unless you gave people an exe to download.

lol yep. imagine if Stadia came out, and Google was freely admitting that it's inferior to PS Now, it's laggy and blocky, etc. And Phil Harrison is openly saying if PS Now reduces their streaming fees, he'll pull the plug on Stadia.

But they bought Cyberpunk 2077 as a one year exclusive, and they're giving away Rime.

"you can't expect them to start with all the features!"

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
Well, that didn't work some years ago. Hopefully will never happen again.

Consoles are used to justify Epic's buying up as many exclusives as possible.

They'd be used by the same people as an excuse for online multiplayer fees, because in their eyes what happens on consoles is okay to happen on PC.

There's no shortage of people that put what's best for corporations over what's best for them.

Demacabre

Nov 20, 2017
Consoles are used to justify Epic's buying up as many exclusives as possible.

They'd be used by the same people as an excuse for online multiplayer fees, because in their eyes what happens on consoles is okay to happen on PC.

Yet consoles are exempt from the discussion when talking about the 70/30 cut to publishers...

Cause then, well, they aren't related for some reason. Consoles deserve the 70% cut. And licensing fees.

Funny how the TimmyDefenseCore likes cherry picking when and when not to invoke the console comparison.

Edit: And you expect a good faith discussion? Just put them on ignore and let them spout their hollow EGS talking points into a vacuum.

Last edited:

Custódio

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil, Unaí/MG
Yet consoles are exempt from the discussion when talking about the 70/30 cut to publishers...

Cause then, well, they aren't related for some reason. Consoles deserve the 70% cut. And licensing fees.

Funny how the TimmyDefenseCore likes cherry picking when and when not to invoke the console comparison.
And that's when even Nintendo, from all people, has more features than EGS.

Asriel

Dec 7, 2017
So?

In the real world said game would also release on consoles, and if they're smart, other PC launchers.

Nobody's stopping them from doing these things, so I'd blame the developers for mishandling their game. They should be putting their game on as many platforms as possible, and not limiting it to one single outlet.

Edit: On a side note it's disgusting that cherry picked console exclusives across different generations are used to justify Epic starving launchers of a multitude of games.

I guarantee y'all will be holding up consoles paying for online as justification for anyone that tries to do the same on PC. Whatever serves the billion dollar corporations.

Oh, the horror. /s

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018

Cause then, well, they aren't related for some reason. Consoles deserve the 70% cut. And licensing fees. Steam does not.

Consoles cost a lot of money to design and create, and are often sold at a loss at first. The software subsidizes that hardware investment. It's been that way for decades. Not only is your post a whataboutism, why would you even argue for Steam having a high royalty rate? Are you worried Steam making fewer billions would make your store experience worse? Has your Steam experience gotten worse since they cut that rate in December?

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017
Funding without any milestones, goals, or oversight is charity.

So the only way that funding is an investment is if there are milestones, goals, or oversight? Otherwise it is always charity and the resulting product should be free?

That's a pretty narrow definition. What about funding to gain exclusive access to the product?

Oct 25, 2017
Consoles cost a lot of money to design and create, and are often sold at a loss at first. The software subsidizes that hardware investment. It's been that way for decades. Not only is your post a whataboutism, why would you even argue for Steam having a high royalty rate? Are you worried Steam making fewer billions would make your store experience worse? Has your Steam experience gotten worse since they cut that rate in December?
yea, it takes no money to design and create software functionality, thankfully

Oct 31, 2017
Halo was Mac exclusive before MS bought Bungie. Bungie was a Mac developer.
No, it wasn't. I'm not sure why this myth is going around so much here.
Halo was claimed to be coming on PC, was shown to journalists, published and commented on all the PC magazines of its time, this at least two years before it became the XBox megahit we know now.

Also yes, Bungie was born mainly as a Mac developer, sure, but after Marathon all their subsequent titles (MYTH 1 and 2, Oni, etc) were developed as multiplatforms.

At no point during the development and promotion of Halo (pre MS) ANYONE ever said a word about it being a Mac exclusive.
It would have also been quite bizarre, in a time where gaming on Machintosh was as its direst in terms of market share and Apple actively looked down at it.

PepsimanVsJoe

Oct 26, 2017
Seems odd to even mention the Playstation 1 in these arguments.

This console was $100 cheaper than its competitor (the Saturn) and much easier to develop for.
An appealing product for both consumers and developers. What a great idea!

Shame Epic can't even begin to understand it.

EDIT: Oh wait. Now we're back on the "Valve doesn't have a console, so they don't deserve their cut." nonsense. God damn.

Deleted member 3058

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
You weren't here during the days when Microsoft initially announced Games For Windows Live and said that there would be a monthly fee for online play?

We already heard those arguments. Haha

Deleted member 3058

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
With - it's worth mentioning - a very desirable feature as far as my games collection is concerned that is currently pretty much unique to GoG, and - if they pull it off - an excellent selling point against Steam's feature set.

And I'd hazard a guess that CDProjekt don't have the same amount of resources to throw at this development than Epic do.
Strongly agree RE the bold. I'm really looking forward to that feature