• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, I know what their goal is. I don't understand why they thought this would work.

My honest opinion:

Because after a year of their PR campaign spinning the narrative on PC, portraying themselves as fighting for the good cause with altruistic motivations, they thought it would work out the same way on iOS.

And while Epic has the right to be as selfish and aggressive in this capitalist world as they want to be. I'm glad people can see through their manipulative hashtags, empty contradictory statements and selfish motivation this time around.

Tecnniqe

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Antarctica
Lmao at Sweeney saying Steam and EGS is built the same way. The day EGS works like Steam will be a day I don't think we'll experience.

not to mention Valve spends a lot of money on more niche tech.

idk, seems like another bad argument from Tim Epic

OP
OP
dex3108

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
Just because people are willing to pay for it doesn't mean it's not overpriced. What kind of logic is that?

Because that's how market works. As i said MTX are literally fog, nothing, just a number without any costs of production and publishers are selling it up to 100$ per transaction. But market says that those prices are fine.

Wing Scarab

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Because that's how market works. As i said MTX are literally fog, nothing, just a number without any costs of production and publishers are selling it up to 100$ per transaction. But market says that those prices are fine.
People say those prices are fine because they feel like they don't have a choice, just like how Apple don't give developers a choice on their platform.

Last edited:

BoJack

Banned
Apr 4, 2018
It's kinda hard to be the asshole when you have a huge corpo like Apple on the other side. Epic you've done an amazing job. What a disgusting company.

Jhn

Oct 28, 2017
psx_20200826_224245s5kmi.jpg

Perfect.

Sean Mirrsen

Banned
May 9, 2018
Why would people not like a trillion dollar company that doesn't pay its taxes I have no idea
So... envy? XD

I really find it funny, that, with the whole thing Apple has with their locked-in ecosystem, with the multitude of ways they actually abuse their power inside that ecosystem, like selling monitor stands separately for a grand, it is the one thing they're doing that's the least objectionable and the most similar to how the rest of the industry operates, that Epic decided to target and label as "abuse' here. :P

Stacey

Banned
Feb 8, 2020
I genuinely feel sorry for those people who bought a *Rare* Fortnite iPhone *used* *good condition* from eBay.

Deleted member 2809

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So... envy? XD

I really find it funny, that, with the whole thing Apple has with their locked-in ecosystem, with the multitude of ways they actually abuse their power inside that ecosystem, like selling monitor stands separately for a grand, it is the one thing they're doing that's the least objectionable and the most similar to how the rest of the industry operates, that Epic decided to target and label as "abuse' here. :P
yes people are jealous that a trillion dollar company doesn't pay its taxes where it owes them smh

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
Oh man, I sure wish I could also not support society in a fair way. Why can't *I* be a soulless entity that could make the world better by sharing wealth, and doesn't, even though it's supposed to?
Green with envy over here.

This is not Apple specific, every single huge company and filthy rich person out there doing their best to not pay taxes are scum.

dstarMDA

Dec 22, 2017
So... envy? XD

I don't get the point about the Pro Display Stand. You can attach almost any monitor you want to your Mac, and you have third party stand option for the Pro Display. There's no "abuse of power" here I can think of.

phonicjoy

Banned
Jun 19, 2018
So... envy? XD

... You know you can actually use any monitor, right? If you want to point at anything, point at the ridiculous memory prices. Those are ACTUALLY eggrious, not some fan boy theory of how much a limited quantity, fully articulating, precision milled piece of hardware should cost.

cyba89

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The biggest trick Epic ever pulled was to convince people that those fantasy Fortnite bucks have any real value assigned to them, besides the one Epic solely dictates.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Some people still don't understand that you can want Epic to fail while really disliking Apple at the same time.

Sean Mirrsen

Banned
May 9, 2018
I don't get the point about the Pro Display Stand. You can attach almost any monitor you want to your Mac, and you have third party stand option for the Pro Display. There's no "abuse of power" here I can think of.
... You know you can actually use any monitor, right? If you want to point at anything, point at the ridiculous memory prices. Those are ACTUALLY eggrious, not some fan boy theory of how much a limited quantity, fully articulating, precision milled piece of hardware should cost.
Setting their prices arbitrarily high for their brand, selling an already expensive monitor without a stand to make it appear lower in price, and sell the stand separately for an exorbitant sum. In hardware space, thanks to all the competition, Apple is free to do as they please, and they leverage their clients' attachment to the brand name and ecosystem to get them to pay any costs. I just used the stand as a particularly memorable example of their pricing strategy, it extends to everything they sell. There is no Apple product I can think of, that isn't grotesquely overpriced. And with all that, on the digital side they still charge the same as everyone. So specifically calling out the one part of their ecosystem that's consumer-friendly in terms of cost, and isn't being abused in any way in comparison to the rest of the market, seems extra ridiculous.

Shadow

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I genuinely feel sorry for those people who bought a *Rare* Fortnite iPhone *used* *good condition* from eBay.
Hah yeah. Flash back of flappy bird. At least now there's a somewhat easier way to side load Fortnite if people go looking, so I don't think it'll get it that level.

phonicjoy

Banned
Jun 19, 2018
Setting their prices arbitrarily high for their brand, selling an already expensive monitor without a stand to make it appear lower in price, and sell the stand separately for an exorbitant sum. In hardware space, thanks to all the competition, Apple is free to do as they please, and they leverage their clients' attachment to the brand name and ecosystem to get them to pay any costs. I just used the stand as a particularly memorable example of their pricing strategy, it extends to everything they sell. There is no Apple product I can think of, that isn't grotesquely overpriced. And with all that, on the digital side they still charge the same as everyone. So specifically calling out the one part of their ecosystem that's consumer-friendly in terms of cost, and isn't being abused in any way in comparison to the rest of the market, seems extra ridiculous.

You pay for what you get with the monitor and that specific piece of hardware has nothing to do with their closed ecosystem. I guess you have a problem too with things like windows pro, which puts essential networking features behind a paywall for no reason whatsoever.

I personally value the OS very highly and other then buying a Mac every ten years or so and paying what I think is fair for that experience. I don't care for brands, and there is nothing in their Mac ecosystem that I couldn't get on a windows machine. Your perception of value is yours alone, and you're conflating that with some sort of ecosystem misuse.

literally the only thing I have a problem with wrt the hardware is the memory upgrade prices, which are I think are a dumb business decision, especially on machines where you can add third party memory.

Olrac

Oct 26, 2017
California
It really strikes me as tone-deaf, giving the fact that we are in the middle of a pandemic and with so many people focusing on racial inequities. People are literally dying because of the color of their skin, but this company is trying to play the "victim" just to make more money. Obviously, my two sons who play don't get this, but as the parent who buys the season passes and v-bucks, I do.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I do think 30% is too much but if anything I think Apple should be making deals with smaller developers not larger, so that they can more easily publish their games onto the store. Epic should be paying 30% - principally because they can afford to, and they're benefiting from the ecosystem and user base that Apple have cultivated - but garage game devs that need money to eat and keep their businesses going, should not be paying 30%.

Sean Mirrsen

Banned
May 9, 2018
I can't even begin to tell you how bad of a take this is.
Bad take? Really?

A person replies to "why would someone not like a trillion dollar company that doesn't pay taxes", with "envy" and a laughing smiley, and "bad take" is your takeaway?

I swear, people have stopped understanding casual humor nowadays.
Or maybe it's just russian humor - in which case by way of explanation: no, "envy" as the reason to not like someone far richer than you that also doesn't pay taxes, is a reasonably funny reply here. Because we see people like that all the time, and we'd like to be in their shoes thankyouverymuch. Let's call it a cultural misunderstanding and move on.

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
"envy" as the reason to not like someone far richer than you that also doesn't pay taxes, is a reasonably funny reply here. Because we see people like that all the time, and we'd like to be in their shoes thankyouverymuch.
I gotta disagree. Would I like being rich? Yeah, wouldn't mind. But never in my entire life have I ever thought "I wish I were rich and didn't pay taxes".
Wanting to be wealthy while avoiding taxes is a typical "fuck you, got mine" mindset, and I'd posit that people who hold that mindset are bad people.

I think the joke fell very flat because "and doesn't pay taxes" was part of the original statement.

Jan 13, 2020
I gotta disagree. Would I like being rich? Yeah, wouldn't mind. But never in my entire life have I ever thought "I wish I were rich and didn't pay taxes".
Wanting to be wealthy while avoiding taxes is a typical "fuck you, got mine" mindset, and I'd posit that people who hold that mindset are bad people.

I think the joke fell very flat because "and doesn't pay taxes" was part of the original statement.
This, basically. Let's not paint being a piece of shit, tax-dodging billionaire as something to be envious of, thanks.

rntongo

Banned
Jan 6, 2020
First of all, that's not the relief Epic is asking for. They are asking the court to order Apple to allow Epic to put the Epic Games Store on the App Store, like any other app, and further order that Apple gets zero revenue for the purchases in the EGS. This is the essence of their lawsuit against Google, too: they want EGS in the Play Store.

Second, I think you're wrong that people will blame the other storefronts (particularly if they're installed through the App Store). Some customers will 100% blame Apple and bring their bricked phones to an Apple Store demanding a replacement device or a refund. Apple would be taking one that risk with zero compensation. Epic is even objecting the warning screens Google puts on side loading.

That sounds ridiculous when you think about it. Any game developer can make their own store in the apple store if that happens. A store within a store. And what's the added benefit to the consumer? Nothing! I don't understand what they're looking for with all this. Epic should just go install Epic Stores on windows phones.

rntongo

Banned
Jan 6, 2020
I do think 30% is too much but if anything I think Apple should be making deals with smaller developers not larger, so that they can more easily publish their games onto the store. Epic should be paying 30% - principally because they can afford to, and they're benefiting from the ecosystem and user base that Apple have cultivated - but garage game devs that need money to eat and keep their businesses going, should not be paying 30%.

This makes a lot more sense. The 30% cut across the board seems easier to implement though. But developers making less than a certain amount could really benefit from lower Apple tax.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017

Agreed. While better than nothing, Steam's approach of developers getting a larger piece of the pie as they earn more is a little counterintuitive from a fairness perspective, which is what lowering the cut is supposed to be about. It makes business sense, sure. The inverse approach also wouldn't be as appealing to big shots like EA or Microsoft -- presuming Valve didn't give them a better offer under 30%, which I think is likely.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
The inverse approach wouldn't draw big shots like EA or Microsoft -- presuming Valve didn't cut them a better offer under 30%, which I think is likely.

When EA delisted Crysis 2 and Dragon Age 2 in favour of doubling down on Origin, there was a rumour that it was because EA wanted a higher cut to "offset" having to sell DLC for future releases on Steam, but Valve refused.

Publishers have come back to Steam because games these days are given life beyond their shipping date and there's net positive value to be had in reaching a wider audience, especially if your own service has done little to shed its god-awful reputation (Microsoft) or Valve is willing to go the extra mile and, say, lay the groundwork for a subscription service (EA).

Last edited:

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Publishers have come back to Steam because games these days are given life beyond their shipping date and there's net positive value to be had in reaching a wider audience. No more, no less.

I don't discount that possibility, especially with back catalog stuff. But I find it very difficult to imagine that EA would put their new games, service games and subscription on Steam without a few incentives. It's very possible, of course. I just don't get that kind of vibe from EA. Microsoft's gaming division under Phil Spencer, maybe. Not EA though.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
I don't discount that possibility, especially with back catalog stuff. But I find it very difficult to imagine that EA would put their new games, service games and subscription on Steam without a few incentives. It's very possible, of course. I just don't get that kind of vibe from EA. Microsoft's gaming division under Phil Spencer, maybe. Not EA though.

I've always been of the opinion that it was very telling EA's performance measure for Origin switched from total number of accounts to total number of "installs" (i.e. the amount of times the Origin PC installer and mobile app were downloaded) and its back catalogue always shot up the Top Sellers list on Steam whenever those titles were on sale (i.e. user uptake had slowed). Of course, Origin was clearly successful enough that EA could justify ignoring Steam for almost a decade, but I'm sure there was some beard stroking internally here and there, given the aforementioned metrics, and Valve finally being open to the idea of supporting subscription services is what prompted EA to finally let go of the other shoe.

Similarly, I'm of the firm belief Ubi will return to Steam in the not-too-distant future, Uplay+ in tow, and Acti will follow suit after it has figured out how to "subscriptionalise" Bnet (how to do so without potentially cannibalising WoW subs is presumably the tricky question).

Last edited:

Myself

Nov 4, 2017
There is no "monopoly of the App Store". Apple sells a unique product, a place in the ecosystem that they themselves have made, top to bottom, hardware, software, middleware, everything.
Many companies have done that. Microsoft being one and they have faced numerous anti-trust suits. Just because you make a unique product by yourself, doesn't mean you aren't a monopoly. That's why there are monopoly laws, so stop a corporation gaining such holds.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Btw, I don't know if it's just because of my internet activity or whatever, but I went to update my apps today and the main page has a massive ad that shows:

"PUBG MOBILE'S NEW ERA"

Definitely not a coincidence.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Btw, I don't know if it's just because of my internet activity or whatever, but I went to update my apps today and the main page has a massive ad that shows:

"PUBG MOBILE'S NEW ERA"

Definitely not a coincidence.

9to5mac.com

Apple features Fortnite competitor PUBG in App Store on same day it will terminate Epic’s developer account - 9to5Mac

Amid the ongoing legal battle between Epic Games and Apple, a Fortnite competitor is receiving some beneficial publicity in the...

It's not just you. They are being savage.

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Sorry for the double post, but wanted to bump to say that Apple has just revoked the developer account associated with Fortnite, meaning you can no longer even redownload it from your app history even if you had downloaded it before. To be fair, even if you could, it wouldn't do you much good since the iOS version didn't get the most recent update required to play the game.

As far as I'm aware the only developer account affected is the one responsible for publishing Fortnite on iOS and macOS, among a few other apps. Epic has multiple developer accounts, and other ones are associated with their developer tools that a judge granted a temporary restraining order for.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
Sorry for the double post, but wanted to bump to say that Apple has just revoked the developer account associated with Fortnite, meaning you can no longer even redownload it from your app history even if you had downloaded it before. To be fair, even if you could, it wouldn't do you much good since the iOS version didn't get the most recent update required to play the game.

I didn't know this happened when a developer account was terminated. What happens if you paid for the app? Will Apple refund you the money you paid?

Typhoon20

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
When keeping it real goes wrong lol.

I find it pretty funny tbh. Fortnites success has given them the false sense of power and they thought they could do this and get away with it because they have a popular game lol turns out they're not and their cockiness is costing them A LOT of money. I bet they're regretting this so so much.