• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
Didn't they lower the price from $9.99 to $7.99, which is 20% discount, while Apple takes a 30% cut? So, in the end, they profit even more and pretend they're passing the savings to the players? It's ridiculous.

It's less than the 12% the use on their own store for payment processing + other stuff.

blaze

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Best case scenario here is that both companies lose in the end, Fortnite numbers dwindle and Apple get told their marketplace lacks competition given the amount they charge and are forced to make changes.

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
DazzlingPeriodicGnatcatcher-size_restricted.gif

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
The wording trying to induce people to believe Apple is actively acting against Fortnite players is veeeery shady.

Doctor Avatar

Jan 10, 2019
Sony/Nintendo/Microsoft aren't as ubiquitous for games/etc as Google(Whom they're also suing) and Apple.

Sony own ~50% of the console market - that's MORE ubiquitous than Apple at ~30% of the mobile market.

"Monopoly" accusations and law have nothing to do with the absolute numbers of devices, they are whether your have a monopoly of your particular sector no matter how niche your sector happens to be.

If it's illegal to create a closed platform and run your own store on it because it is a "monopoly" of your own platform well... that's bad, bad news for console gaming. If 30% of a market also counts as a "monopoly" then again, bad news for consoles.

The issue is that none of the arguments that Apple have any kind of monopoly make any kind of sense, it's just Epic trying to brainwash people so they can cut Apple out of their own platform and make more money.

kiguel182

Oct 31, 2017
What about Sony, MS, Google, Nintendo, Steam and Amazon? 30% cut is an industry-wide standard, Apple are doing nothing more wrong or more evil than literally every single other entity in the same position.

Do you think Sony should allow other stores on PS4/5? MS should on XSX/XBO? Nintendo should on Switch?

This is a very dark and dangerous pandora's box epic have decided to open in the name of making more money than they already are.

They all should reduce the cut.

should all of them allow other stores? maybe, maybe not.

But the cut needs to go down.

gl0w

QA Tester
Verified
Mar 23, 2018
They still see themselves as the victim.
Wow... they are worst than i thought.

Clap Clap to Apple

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
They could and Apple wouldn't mind.
Only as long as there is no indication in any way in the iOS version of how you can buy V-Bucks. iOS apps can't bypass Apple's payment structure by telling people how to go make purchases outside of the store to get something inside of the app. And I don't think this would be a good solution for consumers.

Jun 20, 2019
It is, compared to other markets.
Gaming is by far the largest entertainment medium by revenue and consoles are a huge chunk of that. GTAV's launch hit $1 billion revenue faster than any entertainment product in history, including movies, and that was exclusively on consoles.

Epic will have no trouble arguing that the console gaming market is large enough to meet the "public interest" standard.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
If people like the game enough they should know where else they can play it. Get Android, so much better, and open. Cut the chain.

degauss

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
No mention of Google Play Store, Xbox, PS Store, Nintendo all asking for 30%... I wonder why?

Dog-piling on Apple in the current climate?

Is it just that they are targeting their most lucrative consumers? (young children on phones buying IAPs - shiny trinkets designed to lure them in)

So Apple should just let Fortnite on their store, distribute the probably 10GB game to millions and millions of their customers worldwide every single point release, over and over again, for free for all time to Epic, giving Epic access to possibly the most lucrative market, and not ask for anything in return?

That just seems like the stupidest business decision any company could make, never mind a company that generally doesn't make stupid business decisions like Apple. Of course they are not going to do it, because it means probably losing millions of dollars per month distributing Fortnite for Epic for free so Epic can make millions and millions of dollars from it with no store overhead.

Are Epic stupid enough to think this will work? Probably not, they probably know an App Store with free apps and 0%-overhead-IAPs is completely untenable business model for Apple or any company, and the real play is to push past that and to expanding Epic Games Store to more platforms.

Epic Games Store is currently on 'open platforms' (Windows/Mac)...and the strategy is probably just "where else can we sneak EGS on, which closed platform is profitable yet potentially vulnerable to a little bit of chaos if we shake things up?..."

DrowsyJungle

Oct 25, 2017
What about Sony, MS, Google, Nintendo, Steam and Amazon? 30% cut is an industry-wide standard, Apple are doing nothing more wrong or more evil than literally every single other entity in the same position.

Do you think Sony should allow other stores on PS4/5? MS should on XSX/XBO? Nintendo should on Switch?

This is a very dark and dangerous pandora's box epic have decided to open in the name of making more money than they already are.
The difference with MS and Sony, they actively subsidize the cost of the console with software sales (which is inline with the business model). Apple's profit margins for their products are insanely high (which is not inline with the business model).

Ayirek

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like Epic is doing this because they want to sell Fortnite on their platform only but didn't have the guts to just remove it from other storefronts.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017

Apple's response to the Judge's temporary order:
We thank the court for recognizing that Epic's problem is entirely self-inflicted and is in their power to resolve.
Our very first priority is making sure App Store users have a great experience in a safe and trusted environment, including iPhone users who play Fortnite and who are looking forward to the game's next season.
We agree with Judge Gonzalez-Rogers that 'the sensible way to proceed' is for Epic to comply with the App Store guidelines and continue to operate while this case proceeds.
If Epic takes the steps the judge has recommended, we will gladly welcome Fortnite back onto iOS.

We look forward to making our case to the court in September.

RadzPrower

One Winged Slayer
Jan 19, 2018
distribute the probably 10GB game to millions and millions of their customers worldwide every single point release,
It's obviously conjecture, but I'm pretty sure that neither Apple or Google host the full application on their stores. After you launch, it has to download the bulk of the game before you can play it, so I have to assume it's downloading that data from the Epic servers directly. All you really download from the store is a launcher like an MMO.

XR.

Nov 22, 2018
The difference with MS and Sony, they actively subsidize the cost of the console with software sales (which is inline with the business model). Apple's profit margins for their products are insanely high (which is not inline with the business model).
Why is this at all relevant? That's how they chose to do business; that's their own prerogative. Why should the public opinion change depending where they place their margins?

This is completely arbitrary and vague since it's not always clear how each company operates, where they place their margins and how big they are expected to be. The store cut should be expected to be the same across the board because it's all the same to the rest of the eco-system - i.e. the developers and consumers. It's of no consequence to a developer whether your platform sells hardware at a loss or not. The only relevant factors are a) is the X% cut worth it and b) what can this platform offer for us.

Jun 20, 2019

Zutroy

Oct 25, 2017
I doubt that would stand in court. That's their business choice to be competitive with each other.

Doctor Avatar

Jan 10, 2019

How is that difference relevant to anything?

"Apple make more money off their model therefore it's different and it's ok to punish them but not MS, Sony or Nintendo" isn't an argument.

Which is where you run into problems in discussing this. People struggle to separate their personal feelings (especially feelings of "Apple makes too much money, therefore it must be wrong something needs to be done about it") from any actual logical or legal argument.

Nothing stopping Sony charging more for PS5, for example, and making a profit on the hardware. They choose to take a slight loss on hardware to sell more units. Apple choose to sell fewer units but at a higher price. These facts have nothing to do with the monopolistic arguments, they're simply two different approaches to selling hardware that have no logical or legal relation to software selling practices.

Remember companies exist to make money. Apple being better at it than Sony isn't a reason to punish Apple or give Sony a free pass.

And as others have pointed out - they currently sell their consoles for a profit, it's only at launch time they are sold at a loss. So that argument completely falls apart anyway, even if it was logical. They also charge to play online (which is free on iOS).

Only as long as there is no indication in any way in the iOS version of how you can buy V-Bucks. iOS apps can't bypass Apple's payment structure by telling people how to go make purchases outside of the store to get something inside of the app. And I don't think this would be a good solution for consumers.
Plenty of apps do it. I can't movies from amazon in the app. The first time I saw it I was pissed but I've gotten over it.

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Epic are fighting a battle that could have severe ramifications to more than just the target, including companies they work with. They put the 30% ahead of developers using their software on a gamble that the courts would side with them when they could have stopped breaking TOS and still taken it to court regardless.

They've decided that during a pandemic they'd rather their young playerbase be on twitter fighting their battles for them, while opting to remove an avenue for those kids to keep themselves entertained and an avenue to socialize with their friends all in an effort to rile them up to fight that battle for them.

Don't even like Apple and have never bought a product of theirs but Epic have shown themselves to be absolute scum in this whole affair.

Nome

Designer / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
Could you explain this part for me? I don't have enough understanding on the value of virtual currency, so I'd like to get a clearer picture if you could elaborate.
The short of it is that the value of virtual goods in a closed economy (in which virtual currency cannot be used to buy real currency or be traded for real goods) is entirely arbitrary and decided by the developer. Closed virtual economies, and the prices of virtual currencies, are designed around what the developer believes will earn the highest revenue from their audience, and thus balancing occurs from a consumer's POV of value/dollar pre-platform cut, not the developer's POV of value/dollar post-cut. This is all just to say that the platform cut does not figure into economy balancing and SKU design, and that savings will not be passed down to the player.

Epic increasing the value/dollar of their currency packs only makes sense in the context of a platform cut. In a hypothetical post-lawsuit world where there is no platform fee, there would be likely no change to value/dollar for consumers for the above reasons.

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
In 2018 alone....Apple sold approx. 220M iPhones. Are you mentioning sales of Sony consoles since 1995? Yes, console gaming is niche.
comicbook.com

Sony CEO Calls Console Gaming "Niche"

Both Microsoft and Google believe streaming is the future of gaming. Meanwhile, despite [...]
"If you look at the game industry as a whole, the console market is not a major market, rather it's a niche market if you will."

Come on, dude. What you're saying is a huge stretch. A multi-billion dollar a year industry is not "niche" by any definition of the word.

ZugZug123

Oct 27, 2017
Pretty sure the Judge yesterday stated that Unreal is safe/should not be messed with but Fortnite is fair game since it actually was the app that broke TOS. They really need to stop playing victim.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
It's kicked off the Google Play Store for exactly the same reasons.
I'm sure there are ways to download Fortnite on Android. I download apps that aren't available on Google Play all the time. It's like a PC, and I'm sure it's able to update too. Fortnite started on Android as a non google play app. I wouldn't be surprised if EGS is on Android.

RadzPrower

One Winged Slayer
Jan 19, 2018
I'm sure there are ways to download Fortnite on Android. I download apps that aren't available on Google Play all the time. It's like a PC, and I'm sure it's able to update too. Fortnite started on Android as a non google play app. I wouldn't be surprised if EGS is on Android.
EGS is on Android, but they only have two games...and I think they're both free...

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
Sucks for Apple fortnite players I guess, I guess both Epic and Apple views them as expendable for their case.

Heruderu

Oct 29, 2017
The short of it is that the value of virtual goods in a closed economy (in which virtual currency cannot be used to buy real currency or be traded for real goods) is entirely arbitrary and decided by the developer. Closed virtual economies, and the prices of virtual currencies, are designed around what the developer believes will earn the highest revenue from their audience, and thus balancing occurs from a consumer's POV of value/dollar pre-platform cut, not the developer's POV of value/dollar post-cut. This is all just to say that the platform cut does not figure into economy balancing and SKU design, and that savings will not be passed down to the player.

Epic increasing the value/dollar of their currency packs only makes sense in the context of a platform cut. In a hypothetical post-lawsuit world where there is no platform fee, there would be likely no change to value/dollar for consumers for the above reasons.
Thank you very much for your response. Now I understand it better.