• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
People have been appropriating identity politic rhetoric in order to make a crusade against developers for a LONG time. Going on two years now...

How many posts I see leading posts "as a consumer" as if some people have to crouch their dislike of shopping methods (among other things) as if they were a marginalized group is tiring. Personally. I really don't know what it is but I'd love for it, and the harassment that stems from it, to go away.

Going on 5 years at least.

ArnoldJRimmer

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
This should probably be in the OP.

This was essentially an inexperienced dev doing some really bad PR, followed by people jumping on the hate bandwagon.

I heard someone suggest that as part of these deals Epic should include some help with PR, especially for tiny devs like this. This is a good idea.

If the dev would not have been so condescending on that first blog post he probably would have avoided most of the negative feedback he got. And responding to assholes being toxic never gets you anywhere.

The negativity is his fault, and it's mostly again a lack of PR experience. He just assumed everyone would see it his way. And he probably would have been right, had he worded things a bit differently.

The abuse is obviously not his fault, and it's good that it's being picked up at least and good that EGS is making it known. Unfortunately, toxicity and gaming have a long history.

Last edited:

Velg

Jan 6, 2018
Honestly, fuck this hobby sometimes. It's just fucking video games. I'm so sick of hearing about EGS. This shouldn't have gone any further than vote with your wallet. Gamers are terrible people sometimes. It's fucking gross. Death threats over a fucking video game store? Fuck off. People here who are still attacking Epic need to get a life. Go get angry and call your senator over climate change or gun control. The amount of entitlement is unbelievable...

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Can I be honest? I'm just glad we're making any kind of progress on this at all.

When I made my thread earlier, I had people (not everyone, but more than one) bring up the following things:
Accusing me of gaslighting EGS critics
On some level, deserving the harassment I got
Death threats are unacceptable, but.

But.

Those posts were, to be honest, disgusting, and stuck with me personally.

When the Gamebiz thread earlier discussed the Ooblets devs receiving the gargantuan amount of abuse they got, we saw more of the same:
That blog post was bad, they should've just been nice like all the other devs
Epic's CEO shouldn'tve trolled, this is his fault
We should be able to criticize devs without being accused of death threats
We don't condone harassment here, but.

But.

It was pretty demoralizing, to be honest. We had almost regressed worse than we had gone before.

Fast forward to now.

We have a line in the sand now. Those kind of things are getting hit, and hit hard. It feels like we at least turned a corner, even if it's a small one.

We know who to blame, it's the people doing the harassment. Nobody else.
If you think you're being accused of something, then this is pretty simple.
Are you harassing or threatening people over this?
No: Then it's not about you
Yes: Then it's about you.

ArnoldJRimmer

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Can I be honest? I'm just glad we're making any kind of progress on this at all.

When I made my thread earlier, I had people (not everyone, but more than one) bring up the following things:

But.

When the Gamebiz thread earlier discussed the Ooblets devs receiving the gargantuan amount of abuse they got, we saw more of the same:

But.

It was pretty demoralizing, to be honest. We had almost regressed worse than we had gone before.

Fast forward to now.

We have a line in the sand now. Those kind of things are getting hit, and hit hard. It feels like we at least turned a corner, even if it's a small one.

This makes sense given the topic of this and your previous thread. You're right, there's no need to try and defend those that are criticizing without being toxic here (there are other threads for that). It takes away from the very real issue of people dealing out death threats and otherwise being obnoxious. I apologize since my last couple of posts were basically doing that.

To make chainlinkspiral possibly even madder at me by drawing ripped from the headlines parallels, it's kind of like yelling not all cops ina thread were cops do bad stuff.

Oct 25, 2017

But.

But.

Fast forward to now.

Good stuff.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
This was essentially an inexperienced dev doing some really bad PR, followed by people jumping on the hate bandwagon.

I heard someone suggest that as part of these deals Epic should include some help with PR, especially for tiny devs like this. This is a good idea.

If the dev would not have been so condescending on that first blog post he probably would have avoided most of the negative feedback he got. And responding to assholes being toxic never gets you anywhere.

The negativity is his fault, and it's mostly again a lack of PR experience. He just assumed everyone would see it his way. And he probably would have been right, had he worded things a bit differently.

The abuse is obviously not his fault, and it's good that it's being picked up at least and good that EGS is making it known. Unfortunately, toxicity and gaming have a long history.
nice, more victim blaming

Zeb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (Permanent): Inflammatory Community Generalizations and Antagonizing Other Users; Ignoring Staff Post; Prior Severe Bans for Bigotry
Nothing unusual here. It's the same mob mentality that allowed gamergate and nazism happen. People just like to pile on what's popular to hate without pausing and thinking if it's really worth it. Usually it's instigated by few but picked by thousands because people love to hate and parroting each other. It seems to be built into our nature.

Anyway I've never heard about Ooblets until a few days ago and I'm buying this game on the release day because fuck you.

ArnoldJRimmer

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
nice, more victim blaming

I don't want to sidetrack this thread anymore, read my apology above, please. But I wasn't victim-blaming. I was referring to the valid criticism he got, from some of his customers/fans. The respectful kind.

As I stated in the post you quoted, I was NOT referring to the abuse. And that's all l'll say. This thread rightfully is about not tolerating this kind of treatment towards devs.

Deleted member 11008

User requested account closure
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Anyway I've never heard about Ooblets until a few days ago and I'm buying this game on the release day because fuck you

IIRC, if you have a Xbox One it will be more profitable for the devs buy it there, so you should reconsider it. I was a bit soured by how the initial announce went, but no one deserve harassment.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't want to sidetrack this thread anymore, read my apology above, please. But I wasn't victim-blaming. I was referring to the valid criticism he got, from some of his customers/fans. The respectful kind.

As I stated in the post you quoted, I was NOT referring to the abuse. And that's all l'll say. This thread rightfully is about not tolerating this kind of treatment towards devs.
You are certainly the 'respectful kind.'

BrassDragon

Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
This is dark and depressing. Couldn't be further from the spirit of the game...

tumblr_pm04tnz0D91w6dg6xo5_r1_540.gif

Hang in there, Ben and Rebecca.

Oct 25, 2017

ArnoldJRimmer

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Okay, if you insist.

So was i supposed to look through my entire post history so that i can find a time when i was rude to a poster.

Jeebus you ve got way too much time on your hands. I envy you. Otherwise id waste my time too looking though your history for a post to attack you with.

Pathetic. What exactly is your goal here?

Are you trying to illustrate the behavior of the people attacking devs? Cause if so brilliant. Im pretty sure thats exactly what some of them did. Dig up the devs old posts to try and fashion a narrative.

Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (Two weeks): Ignoring staff post
So was i supposed to look through my entire post history so that i can find a time when i was rude to a poster.

Jeebus you e got way too.much time on your hands. I envy you. Otherwise id waste my time too looking though your post history for a pistto attack you with.

Pathetic. What exactly is your goal here?

Are you trying to illustrate the behavior of the people attacking devs? Cause if so brilliant. Im pretty sure that exactly what some of them did. Dig up the devs old posts to try and faahion a narrative.
Man, that's crazy growth. You're probably right it's in the 300+ million range now for sure.

I really liked the steamspy guy until he started working for EGS. Now he just spouts corporate bullshit.

It's neat because your post history is so vivid. It's not because you were attacking posters, which, sure, you were. You were nasty to devs and employees. How often by your estimate?

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico

But.

But.

Fast forward to now.

This also happened in this thread before it was rebooted. Several people using the "BUT" to justify the abuse and death threats. It was disgusting honestly.

Zero-ELEC

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
México
Like I said in the other thread, while I've no love lost for Epic, a bit of fucking empathy is all it fucking takes to not fucking send death threats to two people indie devs, jesus fucking christ what the fuck

like what is the mentality of these? i doubt these people are working in good faith, you don't make shit up in good faith

there also seems to be a certain contingent of chan-literate abuse, images of "npc" memes and shit accompanying these... they are not people that'd be interested in ooblets before this ever happened, these people latch on to controversies to be arseholes, to ruffle feathers and shit

and worst of all, are not these, I don't think

worst of all are the people that are otherwise good faith peeps that don't look farther than the surface of these postings, that say token "yeah its shit that these people are suffering emotional distress and harassment BUT EPIC THO!"

can't see the forest for the trees

Sep 14, 2018
At the end of the day, it's just a free launcher. No matter the arrogance, no matter the trolling, no matter if they did a bait and switch with their Kickstarter ..it's...just...a...free....fucking.....launcher you have to download.

Ruh roh, I don't think we're supposed to say this.

Looks like I'm buying a random game I'm not interested in just to support the devs, maybe I'll even like it. Go away weird harrassing people.

giphy.gif

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Feel bad for the devs. I never imagined it would've come to that kind of harassment.

Voicing disappointment and criticizing is fine, but still there's a line that you should never cross.

Tya

Oct 30, 2017
The coordinated harassment of devs on social media (including Discord and Reddit), on top of the creation and promotion of fake materials to gain momentum among the passer-bys, is disturbing. It is even more troublesome as the people engaging in these awful actions have likely never had any intent of purchasing the game at all: they are jumping on the harassment train for the sake of being mean and abusive to the devs, whom they consider easy targets.

It is important to have in mind what the game looks like. It is a peaceful game, there is no way it attracts toxic customers who would try to bully devs.

This is such a sad image given what has happened. 90% of the people who are in a rage about this were never going to buy the game anyway, yet here we are. Sadly, a segment of gamers are very good at disinformation campaigns like we saw with gamergate, and a lot of other people are extremely naive and have terrible critical thinking skills so they end up going along with everything they see whether it is true or not, no matter how absurd. The end result is a gigantic avalanche of hate.

Dodgerfan74

Dec 27, 2017
Harassment and abuse are never okay under any circumstances. No buts or conditions - don't fucking harass people.

At the end of the day, it's just a free launcher. No matter the arrogance, no matter the trolling, no matter if they did a bait and switch with their Kickstarter ..it's...just...a...free....fucking.....launcher you have to download.

That is never worth calls to violence or harassment. It is a simple inconvenience and nothing more. If you don't support those tactics, don't buy it and move the fuck on.

I can't believe Epic actually has to make a post on abuse. The gaming community is an unbelievably toxic community that needs to take a good, hard look at their actions.

This is the part that really gets me though. The abuse and insanity around this is in response to a fucking launcher. Its such a disproportionate thing it's beyond parody. People sending death threats over cloud save functionality. Even in 2019, gaming remains the fucking worst shit.

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (1 week): ignoring staff post
Epic is working together with many game developers and other partners to build what we believe will be a healthier and more competitive multi-store world for the future. We remain fully committed, and we will steadfastly support our partners throughout these challenges.
Are they?
The overall language sweeps the idea that people have legit issues with the store under the rug.

Nax

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 10, 2018
Heard the story on Kinda Funny Games today. I was disgusted hearing about that abuse - to the point of bringing the creators to tears. The EGS backlash on the web has totally spiraled out of control recently.

IamFlying

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 6, 2019
It's just so unbearable that some people are childish, dumb and simply idiotic that they harass people because they don't release a game on their preferred launcher.

Have this people no live outside of the internet or no real friends to talk to? I mean if you did such things or plan to do them and speak it out loud a sane person would think. "WTF what am I doing here!?"

Walnut

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
Austin, TX
Fools in this thread be like

giphy.gif

Is it so hard not acting like an entitled asshole in a thread about harassment?

At the risk of going a little off-topic, why is that?
Posts like this are antagonistic. It feels like you're trying to bait somebody who feels really strongly about the drama into slipping up.

As for the thread itself, harassment isn't ever justified. I'm one of those people who are still seething over the whole Epic thing, but at the end of the day everyone involved is human, and we all deserve the decency of not being told to kill ourselves for making a business decision. There's really not much to say about it honestly. Harassment sucks.

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
It has everything to do with it.

You don't see this level of insanity when say Friends leaves Netflix to go to HBO MAX even though that actually requires you to pay for another service.

Why?

Because tv watching isn't an identity.

Sorry I will spare no words about gaming as an identity is a problem and how much I think that's part and parcel with why the unique toxicity takes hold in gaming

Nor do you see such behaviour when say a brand of shampoo decided to have exclusivity period for their new product with a supermarket for a few months before launching in other stores. No one goes "rise up shampooers!" and proceed to harass everyone involved.

Hucast

alt account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
The deal devs make with EGS are about certain number of copies. So they are not paid on the platform for each sale until it pass certain threshold. I doubt this game (or any game at EGS) is going to make it.
That is kind of lame. So you dont support the devs when you buy the game. Wish that was the case instead

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
That is kind of lame. So you dont support the devs when you buy the game. Wish that was the case instead
Pretty sure that's backwards.

Epic gives them a minimum guarantee. So if they say you'll get revenue for 100K copies sold, Epic gives them that amount of money even if the game only sells 5 copies.

The Living Tribunal

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Posts like this are antagonistic. It feels like you're trying to bait somebody who feels really strongly about the drama into slipping up.

I'm calling out other posters on their disgusting behaviour. Interestingly, I don't give a rat's arse if anyone feels that strongly over this to be "baited".

The deal devs make with EGS are about certain number of copies. So they are not paid on the platform for each sale until it pass certain threshold. I doubt this game (or any game at EGS) is going to make it.

Thanks, I guess I'm getting this on Xbox then.

Last edited: