• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mad_Rhetoric

Banned
May 7, 2019

08-Plug-Front_1024x1024@2x.png

10-Super64_1024x1024@2x.png

06-Box-with-Manual_1024x1024@2x.png

07-Bottom_1024x1024@2x.png

The EON Super 64 is the latest product in the EON catalog of HDMI plug and play adapters. This patent pending design is the first adapter of its kind to offer a complete plug-and-play solution intended for use with the original Nintendo 64 console (NTSC, NTSC-J).

The Super 64 delivers a clean 480p zero lag image over HDMI without the need for external power. Additionally the Super 64 features a new "Slick Mode" button that when activated buffs out hard pixelated edges, giving an all-new look to our favorite N64 games.

Designed with aesthetics in mind, the Super 64 is visually consistent with the original N64 console so that when seated, it feels and looks right at home. The Super 64 also comes in a custom designed box that faithfully represents the original console.

Enjoy playing all of your original N64 games, on your original N64 hardware, with the only adapter whose form is as beautiful as its function.

• The Super 64 is a plug-and-play HDMI adapter for the Nintendo 64
  • No mods Required
  • Provides the best visual signal possible on original hardware
    • Pulls N64 S-video and scales to 480p
    • Custom tuned colors and audio to create the most true-to-form N64 experience
  • Lagless input – controller inputs appear on screen instantly
  • Custom designed plug to match original N64 aesthetic
  • Utilizes standard HDMI
  • "Slick Mode" feature produces a more polished image

Available for pre-order here: https://castlemaniagames.com/collections/frontpage/products/eon-super-64

Costs $150 which is def pricey, but this is a great solution for N64 owners who dont want to pay/wait for an UltraHDMI and want something thats just plug and play and doesnt need a mod or another power source. There's also a few coupon codes floating around on youtube for 10%($15) off if you look.

Also has feature called "slick mode" activated with a button on the side. Slick mode smooths out jagged edges.

Pretty cool this exists. Now I can play my OEM N64 without worrying about emulators. Im also aware of the Retrotink, but this Eon super 64 doesnt require another power source and I dont have an S-Video cable (using composite now, ew I know lol) so after my discount code the cost of this and a retrotink pretty much even out to me. This suits my personal needs better imo. UltraHDMI is best but is hard to find and I cant install it myself so it would be more expensive than I'd want. Wonder if Eon will make a v2/lower the price or if Insurrection Industries will make their own N64 HDMI plug and play adapter like they did with the Carby hdmi adapter for the Gamecube.

Deleted member 23212

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I don't understand how this would provide the best solution possible on original hardware? The N64 only outputs up to S-Video natively, in order to get RGB or the raw digital data you have to mod it. And those do exist.

Indelible

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I don't understand how this would provide the best solution possible on original hardware? The N64 only outputs up to S-Video natively, in order to get RGB or the raw digital data you have to mod it. And those do exist.
Agreed, I don't see how this would give you any better quality than S-Video, which is a lot cheaper than this device.

JershJopstin

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, it's pulling S-Video according to their own description. This makes way less sense than their GCN adapter.

DrEvil

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada

I bet you if you cracked this open it's just an S-Video to HDMI adapter.

Elfforkusu

Oct 25, 2017
Worth noting the "no input lag" is just for the signal conversion, these devices aren't magic and won't make your modern TV have speed of light 0ms input lag e.g. CRTs

Madao

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Panama
damn. i got my UltraHDMI for roughly the same price minus shipping.

this thing is a ripoff. there's no magic that can make an N64 look good without any kind of hardware mod.

mntorankusu

Nov 13, 2017
If this thing provides good, proper upscaling from 240p and doesn't just treat the output signal as interlaced (which every cheap composite/s-video to HDMI adapter does), then $150 isn't a terrible price. The Retrotink is the only other thing on the market that is cheaper, and this doesn't require an additional power supply or an s-video cable.

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
Open the box, plug it in and then plug in an HDMI. There's a big market for these types of plug and play devices. The main issue with this device would be the insane price tag. The lesser issue with this device would be that an unmodded N64 maxes out at svideo which will leave much to be desired in terms of image quality. In comparison to an UltraHDMI mod this is going to look very poor for not much less money.

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
I like the idea of it, but that price is insane! I'll probably stick with my RGB modded N64 though.

Oscillator

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Canada
The issue with this is that it doesn't scale the image to 1080p, meaning that unless you want the image to just be a small box in the middle, the TV has to do the scaling, which is hit-and-miss, and not just in quality - some TVs apparently have trouble even accepting a 480p signal over HDMI.

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I typically think im pretty technically versed, but when it comes to addons like these and output conversion, ive never felt more stupid.

I just wanna make my N64 and PS1 games not look like dogshit on modern tvs :/

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Agreed, I don't see how this would give you any better quality than S-Video, which is a lot cheaper than this device.
This is a tricky thing. Most TVs today do not support S-video at all and, even if they do, even fewer actually interpret 240p properly. So you end up with horribly scaled results where 240p is presented as 480i. It's not pretty!

This should at least present a signal that a modern display will be able to work with over HDMI.

The main issue, of course, is that it only outputs 480p. It will look fine but won't be sharp. You'd need to pair this with an external video processor to improve it but then you're already moving into even more expensive territory. The question is how this compares to analog s-video when using an external box.

Really, though, these guys were in a tough position on this. S-video is the best you can do without modding an N64 and that's where prices really shoot up. This is the best option for a plug-n-play solution right now. If they had implemented nearest neighbor scaling to 1080p, though, it would have been significantly more impressive.

TheStebe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
London
Sorry for derailing but slightly similar, I have my ps2 that i would love to crack open again and play but all i have in my house is a pc monitor. Does anyone know what the best converter is for that console? or is it basically the same as this n64 one?

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Sorry for derailing but slightly similar, I have my ps2 that i would love to crack open again and play but all i have in my house is a pc monitor. Does anyone know what the best converter is for that console? or is it basically the same as this n64 one?
I suggested waiting a bit longer. Dan and Chris behind the DCHDMI are nearly finished the PS2HDMI mod which will almost certainly provide THE best image quality possible on a modern TV.

That would require displaying it in a box of some kind, presumably, since 1080 is not evenly divisible by 240 or 480.

480 doesn't even go evenly into 2160 *shakes fist angrily at sky*
Yes and DCHDMI supports this. It draws the image with small black borders along the top and bottom. Not a huge deal. It also supports 960p output which fills the screen but not all displays support this.

Deleted member 23212

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I suggested waiting a bit longer. Dan and Chris behind the DCHDMI are nearly finished the PS2HDMI mod which will almost certainly provide THE best image quality possible on a modern TV.
WTF?!? That's awesome!! I have a ton of PS1 and PS2 games I wanted to capture for let's plays but I only have a modded post-BC PS3 so it only provides PS1 and PS2 emulation.

Jun 2, 2019
Really. Sorry guys but there's so much ignorance running rampant over here. It's as Dark1x already said. This is the best solution out there to play an unmodded N64 on modern TVs because these doesn't read the 240p signal properly (Or just doesn't at all) and S-Video is already deprecated.

Modding the console isn't really a better solution because of the prices. The ultra hdmi mod can get up to 400 € for example, wich is absolutely nuts, and I'm not sure the rgb mod scales the signal.

My only issue with this is that it only works with ntsc systems. I won't judge the price before knowing what's really inside there.

AusGeno

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That off/on picture is hilarious. They turned the Mario steps into a slide and are acting like that's a good thing.

TheStebe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
London

Yes and DCHDMI supports this. It draws the image with small black borders along the top and bottom. Not a huge deal. It also supports 960p output which fills the screen but not all displays support this.

Oooh fantastic! I am certainly in no rush! Im sure you will be checking that out in a future video when released no doubt!

Oct 25, 2017
Long ago, I somehow managed to get a cable that has port plugs for PS2/Xbox OG/and what appears to be the port for the SNES/N64. It has S-Video out. What sort of TV do I need that will properly use this with an N64?

I am going to test it out this weekend on a TV from circa 2003/4 that doesn't have HD functionality (RGB component is the 'highest' setting available) but does indeed have an S-Video port.

If this EON device seems like the simpler and easiest option, on modern TVs, I will definitely consider it.

(I'm in PAL region).

Jun 2, 2019
Long ago, I somehow managed to get a cable that has port plugs for PS2/Xbox OG/and what appears to be the port for the SNES/N64. It has S-Video out. What sort of TV do I need that will properly use this with an N64?

I am going to test it out this weekend on a TV from circa 2003/4 that doesn't have HD functionality (RGB component is the 'highest' setting available) but does indeed have an S-Video port.

If this EON device seems like the simpler and easiest option, on modern TVs, I will definitely consider it.

(I'm in PAL region).

You need and NTSC console to use this

Calverz

Oct 28, 2017
No pal support?? Disappointing.

Im currently trying to play Doom 64 on a 4k tv where its plugged in using RCA!! Its like looking through water.

TSM

Oct 27, 2017

(I'm in PAL region).

Yeah, the device itself will be very appealing to many N64 owners. The big issue with it is that the price they are charging for this has to have an enormous markup. It's a simple svideo to hdmi upscaler in a fancy plastic housing. There are many cheaper alternatives, but I don't think any of them are quite as plug and play as this device.

Pop-O-Matic

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Short answer: There are some cheap PS2 HDMI converters on the market, but they're generally pretty shite. Getting a RetroTINK and a set of decent PS2/PS3 component cables (like Sony's official cables or Monster cables) would run you about the same price as this and get you decent results (assuming your monitor supports 480p signals). Of course, if you're willing to spend a bit more cash, then something like a Framemeister, OSSC or even a PS2 compatible PS3 would work much better.

Long answer:

Last edited:

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
No pal support?? Disappointing.

Im currently trying to play Doom 64 on a 4k tv where its plugged in using RCA!! Its like looking through water.

People are going to need to keep their expectations in check for this. It will not make the N64 output less blurry. It will take the normal blurry N64 output and make it as clean as svideo will allow. Even a normal RGB mod will end up with a blurry output. In order to get rid of the blur inherent in the N64 video output you need to mod your system with either an UltraHDMI or a Tim Worthington v1.2 RGB board with deblur.

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
People are going to need to keep their expectations in check for this. It will not make the N64 output less blurry. It will take the normal blurry N64 output and make it as clean as svideo will allow. Even a normal RGB mod will end up with a blurry output. In order to get rid of the blur inherent in the N64 video output you need to mod your system with either an UltraHDMI or a Tim Worthington v1.2 RGB board with deblur.
Yep, this is pretty much true.

Nessus

Oct 28, 2017
The main issue, of course, is that it only outputs 480p. It will look fine but won't be sharp. You'd need to pair this with an external video processor to improve it but then you're already moving into even more expensive territory.
This was my concern as soon as I saw it was only 480p. Glad to see my understanding of this stuff is getting better, otherwise I might have jumped at this. I feel like the announcement trailer is being a little deceptive by showing super sharp pixels.

I really don't understand why they wouldn't do 3x scaling to get it to 720p.

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
Yep, this is pretty much true.

Well it's mostly true. The blur is caused by a post process "anti-aliasing" step done in hardware by the N64. It's actually possible to disable this step with patched roms and have clean output on a stock N64. But that means you only have access to clean video when using an Everdrive 64 or 64drive flash cart on a stock console. For legit carts you are left with modding as your only solution.

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
Really. Sorry guys but there's so much ignorance running rampant over here. It's as Dark1x already said. This is the best solution out there to play an unmodded N64 on modern TVs because these doesn't read the 240p signal properly (Or just doesn't at all) and S-Video is already deprecated.

Modding the console isn't really a better solution because of the prices. The ultra hdmi mod can get up to 400 € for example, wich is absolutely nuts, and I'm not sure the rgb mod scales the signal.

My only issue with this is that it only works with ntsc systems. I won't judge the price before knowing what's really inside there.
There are RGB mods with deblur for $30 and if you have an OSSC the difference between Voultars RGB mod and Ultra HDMI is barely noticeable.