• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kittenz

Oct 28, 2017
Minneapolis
1st person doesn't make a game a shooter.
Well in fairness, OP didn't put Fallout. Elder Scrolls and presumably Starfield in the shooter column, and they're first person. Fallout 4 feels more like a shooter than Dishonored imo.

Shooters: Halo, Gears, Prey, Dishonored, Doom, Wolfenstein...

WRPG: Fable, Avowed, Fallout, Elder Scrolls, Wasteland, Starfield...

I know Obsidian is making Avowed and Grounded already, but I wonder if The Outer Wilds ever reappears somewhere. Like use the MS $$ to build out the Grounded team after they get that launched and squared away as full access.

Oct 28, 2017
If Bethesda's output had been stronger this gen I might agree but they were pretty mediocre so right now I'd have to disagree.

Skulldead

Oct 27, 2017
Bethesda games were a laughing stock this generation except for Doom, which I honestly don't see being xbox exclusive. I don't think MS ponying 7,5bn$ is gonna change that a lot. After all, Mojang is still minecraft.

Got to agree, Betheda didn't really shine that much this year, there are some exception sure, but in PR they were the worse of them alll.....

Ruisu

Banned
Aug 1, 2019
Brasil
Also I kind of feel like ID Soft has done all it can do with Doom after eternal. I don't see it getting much better, and I absolutely don't see the next Wolfenstein being any good at all.

Deleted member 6511

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The only franchise I gona miss from this is Doom. Really love 2016 and was planning to buy Eternal on ps5.

j.zed

Oct 29, 2017
I'm kinda invested in the current Wolfenstein series, so hopefully Wolfenstein 3 will come to PS5 at some point. If not, then I'll have to maybe stream it on PC or something. Other than that, can't say I'm terribly interested in anything they offer.

Deleted member 25128

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
The purchase is massive in terms of quality IP and new studios, but I think there has been a little bit of an overreaction. MS will own some great franchises, but they still need to decide to make something of them. Putting them on gamepass is great for those on gamepass but most serious gamers would/should have played these titles by now. I mean seriously who hasn't played elder scrolls or fallout 4 by now....

So unless they fund a new wolfenstien (and not like the last hot mess which was shockingly bad) or a new prey, then these are just Ip's that are available.

I think the key IP's are doom, Elder and Fallout, and a new Elder/fallout won't be coming for a good few years, so the benefit of them won't hit until then, elder scrolls was reportedly still about 5 years away...

So I guess what I am saying is, when those titles hit, its going to be a hard decision for people what to do depending on what platforms they are on, until then, they've just got some great IP that some people might not have played. So I think maybe we can all just calm down a bit until then :D - no doubt this purchase is a longer play by MS and certainly covers some areas they were particularly weak in (open world games)... It could definitely be game changing, but longer term.... so do I need an xbox ecosystem - for the moment the answer is still no. If in the future theses titles are available on Steam/PC without gamepass the answer is still no. Of course this will definitely drive people to pay for gamepass, even if its just for a month at a time.

Scruffy8642

Jan 24, 2020
As a fan of WRPGs and Shooters, can't say I'm a big fan of most of these tbh... Guess lucky me? Arkane's stuff is probably the biggest loss for me.

Again though, with how long Bethesda's big releases take, it doesn't change the fact that XGS releases seem pretty meh/barren for probably the next 2 years.

OP
OP
lunanto

lunanto

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
I know Obsidian is making Avowed and Grounded already, but I wonder if The Outer Wilds ever reappears somewhere. Like use the MS $$ to build out the Grounded team after they get that launched and squared away as full access.
I think I read somewhere they would like to make a series of it.

Kittenz

Oct 28, 2017
Minneapolis
Bethesda games were a laughing stock this generation except for Doom, which I honestly don't see being xbox exclusive. I don't think MS ponying 7,5bn$ is gonna change that a lot. After all, Mojang is still minecraft.
Laughing stock?

Do tell. I've never heard anything resembling that other than the beloved Bethesda jank in the open world games. I'm curious. Most of the games reviewed pretty well and sold decently if not spectacularly - (RIP Dishonored).

The only blah ones I can think of were the Fallout '76 launch and Wolfenstein: Youngblood. Rage 2? (Though I am a Rage 2 apologist. That game was so fun at times in combat - - it was just there wasn't enough of it, especially of challenging nature when powered up late game.)

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Not if they keep publishing these on Steam as well. There are also still a lot of other developers that aren't tied to the Xbox system. And Gears, Halo and Wolfenstein aren't as good as they used to be.

But maybe let's wait 2-3 years until the first new games arrive ;)

Macross

Nov 5, 2017
USA
Wrong.
I like all of those genres and have not bought any titles in those series other than the first new Wolfenstein.

Yes they bought a chunk of the market, but no, they didn't corner it.

Oct 27, 2017
I'll just stop playing these games. Frankly, I don't have the time or money to invest into getting in a new ecosystem that offers me basically the same as the one I'm currently in except for a few games (which I could have played if Microsoft hadn't bought them to keep them out of PS5).

Maybe, MAYBE, I'll get a cheap GPU for 1080p gaming on PC further down the line. But that's as far as I'll go, even having Game Pass Ultimate ubtil Jan. 2022...

Folks already downplaying these IPs.

Welp.

The premise of your OP is extremely aggressive. No wonder people feel defensive when you're telling them that they MUST get into the Xbox ecosystem.

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America
Does ecosystem include gamertag, friend list and achievements?

Will MS steam games use the steam equivalents of those or the real deal, kinda like Ubisoft or Square make you download their launchers and tings.

Karlinel

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Mallorca, Spain
Laughing stock?

Do tell. I've never heard anything resembling that other than the beloved Bethesda jank in the open world games. I'm curious. Most of the games reviewed pretty well and sold decently if not spectacularly - (RIP Dishonored).

The only blah ones I can think of were the Fallout '76 launch and Wolfenstein: Youngblood. Rage 2? (Though I am a Rage 2 apologist. That game was so fun at times in combat - - it was just there wasn't enough of it, especially of challenging nature when powered up late game.)
Fallout 4 was derided by fallout fans, 76 I don't even have to detail, youngblood was as well. Wolf 2 was at best very divisive. Arkane was ok but sales-wise a non element. TESO is cool. Doom is amazing.

OP
OP
lunanto

lunanto

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
I'll just stop playing these games. Frankly, I don't have the time or money to invest into getting in a new ecosystem that offers me basically the same as the one I'm currently in except for a few games (which I could have played if Microsoft hadn't bought them to keep them out of PS5).

Maybe, MAYBE, I'll get a cheap GPU for 1080p gaming on PC further down the line. But that's as far as I'll go, even having Game Pass Ultimate ubtil Jan. 2022...

The premise of your OP is extremely aggressive. No wonder people feel defensive when you're telling them that they MUST get into the Xbox ecosystem.
Extremely aggresive? lmao

I say that in the future, if you like those genres and don´t want to give up on these games, you will probably have to enter the Xbox ecosystem, playing on PC, console or whatever. How is that aggresive? It is what it is buddy.

Spacejaws

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
Yea as a big fan of WRPG's these don't really make me sweat lol. Maybe if another Pillars came out but just like Wasteland I'd rather play that on PC.

Avowed is the only one I'm marginally interested in but we've seen nothing as of yet. Elder Scrolls and Fallout can spin on it which really breaks my heart but since New Vegas they've done nothing but disappoint me.

Deleted member 1698

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you like shooters such as Doom, Wolfenstein or Skyrim, then you probably also like Halo and probably already have an xbox. So nothing really changes there.

And yes, 99.99% of Skyrim was aiming and left clicking, so it is a shooter. Bethesda do not make RPGs.

It is what is it buddy.

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
Yet their controller still does not have gyro. That's one of the main reason why I'm hesitant to jump on the Series S right now. Too many games require aiming these and I refuse to do that with a stick only.

Larrikin

Oct 25, 2017
I would've loved to get into the xbox ecosystem if the Australian websites didn't all crap their pants trying to pre-order one today :lol

DCBA

Dec 12, 2018
Most of the biggest shooter games are all Multiplattform:
Fortnite, CoD, PubG, Battlefield, Rainbow Six, Overwatch are all bigger games right now than the shooter you listed.
If you like shooter, PC is the best place to play with exclusive games like Counterstrike and Vallorant.

Karlinel

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Mallorca, Spain
Extremely aggresive? lmao

I say that in the future, if you like those genres and don´t want to give up on these games, you will probably have to enter the Xbox ecosystem, playing on PC, console or whatever. How is that aggresive? It is what it is buddy.
If you Love those games, surely you already have a Xbox. If not, nothing there for you. It will marginally improve the perception of xbox as more than "halo/gears/forza" but not change a lot else.
It is what it is buddy.

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I absolutely love Doom and Wolfenstein. But CSGO and Valorant are already bigger than all "Shooters" you've listed combined.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Or if you like.

- superior hardware
- better looking/performing 3rd parties
- better services
- better multiplayer offerings
- more 3rd party games in general
- consumer friendly decisions
- backwards compatibility beyond one generation
- saving money via game pass
- not paying for upgrades to old games
- not paying higher prices for 1st party games
- having a more diverse variety of games
- a guaranteed future of having the largest amount of studios via acquisitions that are purely to give you the player the best bang for your buck

Dec 27, 2019
Seattle
Bethesda games were a laughing stock this generation except for Doom
Yeah. I really don't know where all this excitement is coming from. MS is buying up really cool some indie/AA developers. But the larger developers they're buying are all looking pretty long in the tooth these days... It's like, "Hey, remember that franchise that was great 20 years ago? We bought the studio that fucked it up after the founders/leads left!"

I am so much more excited about the smaller teams they've been buying than all these big old studios.

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
It is pretty nuts. Especially the RPG aspect. They now own like half the major RPG studios/IPs out there.
I kind of don't like it? It always starts feeling uncomfortable when something gets too big or has too much control. And you would always prefer studios maintain their independence and freedom. But I'm sure that's not easy. And it could've been worse, could've been Embracer.

And there's a vague hope that maybe Zenimax will become less of a business asshole. From what I've heard of how they scummed around to buy studios on the cheap, It can only be good if those people get less control. They basically canceled Prey 2 and nearly Human Head along with it, because HH wouldn't sell the studio after they'd been backed into a corner through loans and failed milestones.

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
generalizing but if wrpgs and FPSs are your go to very unlikely you were a Sony only gamer to begin with

Yeah I'll agree with this from what I've noticed as well. Most people I know who are excited of this acquisition and/or seeing it as a game changer for them in terms of platform choice were already in the Xbox ecosystem for quite some time.

OP
OP
lunanto

lunanto

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
If you Love those games, surely you already have a Xbox. If not, nothing there for you. It will marginally improve the perception of xbox as more than "halo/gears/forza" but not change a lot else.
It is what it is buddy.
Marginally? sure lmao a 7.5B purchase to marginally improve the perception of your brand.

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm. It is certainly making it a more enticing option. But many of these games will be on PC. Though in terms of budgetary choices, getting a Series S and Gamepass is a great way to go for sure, giving easy access to these great games.

Oct 27, 2017
Marginally? sure lmao a 7.5B purchase to marginally improve the perception of your brand.

See how confrontational you're being? Karlinel didn't say that the perception of Microsoft as a whole would change, but rather that if you personally weren't interested in those games to begin with, these acquisitions won't make much to change that perception.

You read whatever you wanted to read and then shot down their comment, just like you're shooting down any comment that doesn't outright agree with you, buddy.

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
One worry in all this is that companies generally suck ass. This can take form in many different ways.
Today, for me, the problem with Microsoft is and has been for a while, that actually buying Microsoft games, is horrible.

I still have no idea what's going on with mods for games acquired through Microsoft. Can they even exist at all?
Games in the Microsoft Store are 599kr, which is overpriced by at least 100kr when compared to anything beyond EGS and Steam, which are also overpriced.

Microsoft games released on Steam....
jahp56k.png
And this game was released five months ago.

Compared to this game, released this month.

I expect this will become hugely worse when the likely 200kr next-gen tax is added.
So that then makes me worried about buying and modding games like those from Bethesda.
And prices of PC games in general.

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
Racing too. I'm convinced that they have the two most acclaimed racing franchises in the past gen unless we include Mario Kart as a racing game. Forza Horizon is so good.

The Series X|S or an equivalent Windows 10 PC will be a great console to own.