• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Luchashaq

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
Is this the type of roguelike with cool upgrades you keep like Rogue Legacy or does it do the stupid you just unlock items thing from Binding of Isaac and many others?

hyuckwut

Oct 27, 2017
I play lots of games, and I've never really considered myself bad at any of them. Hell, I play the shit out of souls games.

I am not good at this game. I can't touch, let alone beat a boss lmao.

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
The whole dowsing out the fireplace situation is annoying me. I've finally done it twice now thanks to having a water based gun, I've gone in and unlocked the secret room, only to find I need another two keys to open the darn trap door.

There's barely any chance I'm going to have two spare keys when I've already used one up to get the water based gun!

And I haven't seen any water barrels in the room with the fires yet either?

Bosh

Oct 26, 2017
The whole dowsing out the fireplace situation is annoying me. I've finally done it twice now thanks to having a water based gun, I've gone in and unlocked the secret room, only to find I need another two keys to open the darn trap door.

There's barely any chance I'm going to have two spare keys when I've already used one up to get the water based gun!

And I haven't seen any water barrels in the room with the fires yet either?

I think there is a water barrel almost Everytime, you just have to be careful you or the enemies don't shoot it

Praxis

Sausage Tycoon
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Any help for a none pro controller owning peasant... What are your favourite key bindings for this game?

The default ones are bad, I don't think anything is going to help switching weapons either. I only ever played this on PC and in that you have no problem running and gunning at the same time, but I ran out of ammo earlier and I was fucked when I had to change weapon!

Balphon

Oct 25, 2017
The fireplace room will always have a water barrel in it, though enemy bullets (as well as yours, obviously) can destroy it if you're unlucky and/or not careful.

Deleted member 14649

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So I bought the PC edition to support the devs, as I felt bad for cheaping out by buying from the Russian store, and the loot dropping is far more generous on the computer version.

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully they can get that running on Switch without any sacrifices...the game had lots of stuttering issues on a beefy PC, but I think those have been ironed out.
It runs on my laptop (core i5 I think?) at a pretty flat 60, so I reckon the switch could handle it fine. Hyped to hear it's officially coming out!

fierrotlepou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just exited floor 1 with some really good gear and armor and then my game closed because of an error.

I'm beyond pissed.

Valahart

Oct 25, 2017
I was very excited about it on the Switch, Gungeon has been a passion for me ever since it launched, it is by a large margin the game I've played the most on Steam.

I don't think I'll get it on the Switch, because from what I've seen of the next planned content update, the devs just caved and decided to turn it into Isaac in the Gungeon. They made so many new synergies that seem to transform the game from a highly technical difficult but fair roguelite that uses randomness mostly for the sake of variety into a brainless casual mostly just visually appealing RNG-fest.

Hope I'm wrong.

Deeks

Oct 27, 2017
Just bought the game, mostly getting through floor 1 alright and getting stuck on floor 2.

Any esoteric (or non esoteric) tips I should know about the Gungeon?

Fireblend

Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Made it to the fifth floor before dying shortly afterwards. Screwed up several times too, the RNG and loadout I had was very forgiving. Oh well, baby steps :P

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
My brother and I tried it in co-op last night. You'd think it would make things easier, but it certainly did not!

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
20 hours later, I'm still unable to get to the fourth chamber.

The two times I had a real good shot, I was denied by the accursed Mind Flayer. Fuck his Cthulhu ass and his bell boy-toys too!

Still, I noticed I'm getting to third boss more consistently, here's hoping I haven't hit the skill ceiling quite yet!

Any tips for that DnD reject?

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
God damn it, God damn this game!

I entered floor 3 feeling really good about myself. I somehow had 5 guns, four full hearts and a piece of armour, three decent passive items.

And it all went completely tits up :(

Evilmaus

Oct 27, 2017
I played this on PC when it released a d gave up after maybe 10 hours because I felt like I'd hit a wall and couldn't make any meaningful progress.

Maybe I could give this another go on Switch as it'll be great to just drop in and out of on the fly, but I still worry I'll just get frustrated and give up after a while.

Duffking

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone got any advice for clearing
Bullet Hell
?

I always run out of ammo before I get to the end.

Looking forward to the patch, I've beaten the past for 5/6 characters. Just need to do it on one more but can't because of the bug.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
Cleared for the first time yesterday! Didn't beat the past or anything, but cleared all floors and saw the credits. I think I got lucky in that I had an excellent gun that shredded bosses, and enough normal guns to handle room clearing. Going through one of the bonus floors relatively unscathed helped arm me up for the later floors.

I also got a little sentient bag of junk who had a sword and shield. He was my best friend on the last floor because he'd just chase stuff off screen and cut them down with no risk to me.

I guess now I need to get those items that the forge lady was asking for. I was hoping there was a list somewhere in the Breach, but it doesn't look like it.

My brother and I tried it in co-op last night. You'd think it would make things easier, but it certainly did not!
Haha, I think it's actually harder in co-op because there's more to keep track of. Things are more predictable when you're the only target. Definitely a lot of fun, though. It's a really good co-op game.

I love the co-op character. He's so derpy.

Any help for a none pro controller owning peasant... What are your favourite key bindings for this game?

The default ones are bad, I don't think anything is going to help switching weapons either. I only ever played this on PC and in that you have no problem running and gunning at the same time, but I ran out of ammo earlier and I was fucked when I had to change weapon!
I have no pro controller either, but I love using the joycons because I can position my hands separately. I use these keybinds:
shoot: ZR
reload: R
dodge: A
interact: B
change weapon: X
cycle weapons: left and right directions
use item: left stick click
blank: ZL
map: L

I like how shoot and reload are right next to each other, because I manual reload a lot. I hold X and use the pause weapon change if I need to change weapons mid-fight.

Last edited:

GDGF

Oct 26, 2017
Well that was nifty. Was on the first floor and I find a chest that's all glimmery and glitched out looking. I click it and it sends me to a room called Floor 2 Proper or some such that led directly to the Beholster. Checked the wiki and apparently there is only a 0.1 percent chance of this happening :D

OP
OP
cbrotherson

cbrotherson

Freelance Games & Comic Book Writer
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Birmingham
Well that was nifty. Was on the first floor and I find a chest that's all glimmery and glitched out looking. I click it and it sends me to a room called Floor 2 Proper or some such that led directly to the Beholster. Checked the wiki and apparently there is only a 0.1 percent chance of this happening :D

I saw one of those today - I thought the game was glitching. Dammit!

The annoying thing? It was a chest which had an explosive fuse set to it. And I didn't have a key, so I couldn't even backtrack to it after. Gaaaaaah.

GDGF

Oct 26, 2017
I saw one of those today - I thought the game was glitching. Dammit!

The annoying thing? It was a chest which had an explosive fuse set to it. And I didn't have a key, so I couldn't even backtrack to it after. Gaaaaaah.

We are the lucky 0.1 :D Sucks that you couldn't get back to it. I should have recorded it or taken a screenshot or something but the significance didn't hit me until I went to the wiki. Slim chance we'll ever see it again.

Oct 28, 2017
Anyone got any advice for clearing
Bullet Hell
?

I always run out of ammo before I get to the end.

Looking forward to the patch, I've beaten the past for 5/6 characters. Just need to do it on one more but can't because of the bug.
I feel like there's not much except "git gud". The enemy's bullet patterns are relentless and it's just a grind to get through it. I guess leading up to the chamber if you can handle enemies with your basic weapon, do that to save ammo, especially if you have lots of cover in chambers 4 and 5. Also I wouldn't feel the need to progress much more in chamber 6 once you find the boss entrance as there are no shops or treasure rooms. Get it over with!

Just recently had my best run ever in my over 80 hours of experience across this and PC version. The RNG gods definitely smiled upon me. Had Clone all the way up to the very final chamber, then died and had to go all the way back. Having 2 Gunknight items certainly helped at that point! Had like over 5 ammo type modifiers lol

*this pic was right before the final boss*
DSjPgQlV4AAJZVe.jpg:large

DSjPrL_VAAAiV6k.jpg:large

OP
OP
cbrotherson

cbrotherson

Freelance Games & Comic Book Writer
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Birmingham
We are the lucky 0.1 :D Sucks that you couldn't get back to it. I should have recorded it or taken a screenshot or something but the significance didn't hit me until I went to the wiki. Slim chance we'll ever see it again.

Ah well. I'm kinda glad you mentioned it at least, so I know the game itself was fine (I'm trying to avoid reading too much stuff on the wiki as discovering things in a game like this is half the fun).

I'll take us finding a such a rare thing as a good omen for our luck in 2018 ;)

Balphon

Oct 25, 2017
The one time I found the glitch chest I proceeded to get murdered by the two beholsters. It was harder than it sounds.

feelingkettle

Nov 5, 2017
I want to like this game so much, but it just isn't happening. Everything just seems so tedious and slow. I put hundreds of hours into Isaac and there's definitely a flow to that game that I really like. Also, I find the soundtrack to be bland and unmemorable. Not sure what the deal is, but perhaps this game is not for me. Which is a shame, because I really want to like it.

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like there's not much except "git gud". The enemy's bullet patterns are relentless and it's just a grind to get through it. I guess leading up to the chamber if you can handle enemies with your basic weapon, do that to save ammo, especially if you have lots of cover in chambers 4 and 5. Also I wouldn't feel the need to progress much more in chamber 6 once you find the boss entrance as there are no shops or treasure rooms. Get it over with!

Just recently had my best run ever in my over 80 hours of experience across this and PC version. The RNG gods definitely smiled upon me. Had Clone all the way up to the very final chamber, then died and had to go all the way back. Having 2 Gunknight items certainly helped at that point! Had like over 5 ammo type modifiers lol

*this pic was right before the final boss*
DSjPgQlV4AAJZVe.jpg:large

DSjPrL_VAAAiV6k.jpg:large

How,

just how.

That's a crazy number of hearts and armour.

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
Man I love this game so much. Finally got over the hurdle and made my way to chamber 5 recently. I only need a decent weapon by floor 3 now to keep progressing.Oddly enough I can easily perfect almost every 2nd chamber boss. But I have yet to perfect the 1st chamber. No idea why it keeps happening.

Phife Dawg

Oct 27, 2017
Man I love this game so much. Finally got over the hurdle and made my way to chamber 5 recently. I only need a decent weapon by floor 3 now to keep progressing.Oddly enough I can easily perfect almost every 2nd chamber boss. But I have yet to perfect the 1st chamber. No idea why it keeps happening.
I think Gatling Gull is super easy to perfect, just circle strafe, if you get caught in his gatling spread move to one side shortly, forcing him to adjust his aim and move to the other side again. Go ham once he unleashes the rockets. The other two can always get a hit in, depending on the bullet spread (at least vs my mediocre self).

Haunted

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
So is it confirmed that the Switch version already has some of the "improvements" that were supposed to hit with the AG&D update?

I'm eager to learn more about the mechanics of the game.

Cliff Steele

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Finished Floor 1 with the Master Round for the Elevator. Trying to get 120 shells and 3 keys in 2 floors and it just is hard as nails.

Kelanflyter

Banned
Nov 9, 2017
France
Finished Floor 1 with the Master Round for the Elevator. Trying to get 120 shells and 3 keys in 2 floors and it just is hard as nails.
I've managed to to that on PS4, but it was a Lucky run.
Really hard to do. And t's only for 2nd floor. It's even harder for 3rd floor.

For now on this Switch version, my best is to encounter the boss from 4rd floor (the wall).
The game is really harder than Binding Of Isaac where we could really become a powerhouse with some luck in drops

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The game is much harder than Isaac but at the same time much more enjoyable to play, I really like the sort-of danmaku feel of the bossfights. Even though I can't pass second floor.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Did all the past but the last one that is bugged currently (secret character), really hope the update will be released very soon.

Corporal

Oct 27, 2017
I really wish there was some sort of info popup at vendors. Especially in the beginning, seeing a price attached to a bunch of pixels can be pretty daunting. Is it a gun? A consumable? A normal item - and if so, active? Passive? ....and that's even long before considering what it actually does.

Plus, it really bugs me that exiting out of the book isn't aware of how you entered it. It's ok to go to the menu if that's where you opened it from, but I'd rather directly return to the game immediately if I opened it by pressing [-]. I know that's a tiny nitpick in the grand scheme of things, but it still bugs me.

The next minor thing I'd love to see "fixed" is the generating screen animation. Those feel like they take ages at times, and it's exacerbated by the twitchy gun loading animation. I wish it just played in a smooth loop. (Well, Ideally, they would offer a training mode where you could avoid bullets or shoot enemies to pass the time. Or some sort of minigame instead of a black screen. It worked wonders in Splatoon 1. But that's a bit much to ask for, really.)

Not a fan of the bullet sponge and simultaneously bullet hell bosses. I don't really like that kind of gameplay. But oh well. I knew what I was signing up for when I bought this. Or at least, I strongly suspected it.
That said, a baby tutorial mode could be fun. No vendors, no bosses, no unlocks, endless floors, difficulty and enemy count adjusted by number of hearts, armour and floors beat. One dog pet, only a single weapon, no other starting equipment/abilities. Upload run time and floor count to a shared high score list, similar to the Neurovoider daily runs.

Also, dammit, only getting a tiny payout after beating a whole roomful of baddies is kind of a letdown. I wish payout was relative to the amount and difficulty of the enemies. At least, somewhat. This would be hard to balance, admittedly.

Game needs unlockable log passages in the book. Like, "on 01.01.2018, Hunter rolled ______ into _______ to unlock _______ where you can spend two keys to ______". I know I will put down this game for a while to focus on something else, then return and puzzle over what everything does all over again. This would certainly help with that. Plus, it could work as some sort of mini achievement system. Some people like those, and it could give you something to aim for.

It's odd how they couldn't code in a tiny selection menu for quick retries so you can change classes easily after a run. I guess there's a reason for that, it seems like such an obvious thing to add.

Loving the game so far (despite the bullet-hell boss fights). Especially the title screen music, for some reason. Such a nice touch.

Deleted member 9971

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I love like how it references lots of games just like Isaac, theres Mario + Zelda and even more references.

Honestly it adds to the games charm imo.
It does not feel like bad fan service, but neat.

Kelanflyter

Banned
Nov 9, 2017
France
I've managed to to that on PS4, but it was a Lucky run.
Really hard to do. And t's only for 2nd floor. It's even harder for 3rd floor.

For now on this Switch version, my best is to encounter the boss from 4rd floor (the wall).
The game is really harder than Binding Of Isaac where we could really become a powerhouse with some luck in drops
Ok, i've made some runs today and just managed to give the 120 gold and 3 keys for unlockings 2nd floor access.

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
So is it confirmed that the Switch version already has some of the "improvements" that were supposed to hit with the AG&D update?

I'm eager to learn more about the mechanics of the game.
Yup The switch version has better drop rates for items, money, and guns. While also adding in more teleporters to make traversing the map easier. Other version will have to wait for AG&D to get the improved rates.