• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
I'm the guy who bought a copy and is posting my personal opinion in a thread about discussing the game?
Rather you're the guy that doesn't like something and determines it's as a result of a design flaw and something not being fit for a genre of game, over something that* just simply doesn't appeal to them.

Last edited:

Mobyduck

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
The game does contain some amount of progress, including shortcuts you can open to later floors, allowing you to skip the initial ones. You can also unlock new weapons and upgrades, as long as you make a bit of progress every new run. These are all things that have been added to the genre as it evolves, and something that a few complain about, even.

I can see room for improvement, obviously. Maybe an easy mode that gives you more life, but doesn't allow for full progression.

Deleted member 14649

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How can anyone say you don't get 'lives' anyway - that's what those big red hearts in the top left corner are!

This game is seriously addictive. I thought Isaac had me bad but this is on another level.

Andokuky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If I liked Rogue Legacy, will I enjoy this? Would you guys recommend on Switch or Xbone? It's half off on Xbone.

Mr_Blue_Sky

Oct 25, 2017
So I found a pretty significant glitch that seems to work every time if peeps are looking for a guaranteed way to get a no hit run on a single floor. If you happen to find a Glass Guon Stone in a secret area on the floor, it seems like you can pick up an infinite amount of them as long as you don't leave that specific room/spot where it was originally. You can basically make a force field that eats all the shots around you. It does return to the normal amount you should have after dropping to the next floor though. I've done this about 5 times during runs so its definitely reproducible.

TYRANITARR

Oct 28, 2017
So how do you unlock the elevator ? I have that guy in my town that says "Come back later" or something. I've cleared the third floor and died there. I thought I was supposed to get a mission that enables me to unlock it?

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So how do you unlock the elevator ? I have that guy in my town that says "Come back later" or something. I've cleared the third floor and died there. I thought I was supposed to get a mission that enables me to unlock it?
Did you drop down the elevator shaft in the gungeon? He is at the bottom and gives you specific missions to unlock shortcuts to floors. When you arrive on the second floor and step a bit away from the crashed bullet elevator it will move on and there should be a construction sign pointing downward into the elevator shaft.

TYRANITARR

Oct 28, 2017
Did you drop down the elevator shaft in the gungeon? He is at the bottom and gives you specific missions to unlock shortcuts to floors. When you arrive on the second floor and step a bit away from the crashed bullet elevator it will move on and there should be a construction sign pointing downward into the elevator shaft.
I guess... not? Not sure what you're talking about. After I beat a boss there's that button thing on the wall who tells me that I can save my game there, that's it. I mean what elevator shaft are you talking about, the thing after beating a boss? I'm not following the terminology, I can take some screen shots and post them....

These are the only two guys in my gungeon, neither one of them do anything. You can see this dude with the backpack tells me nothing, I thought he was supposed to give mthe level skip missions?

DRxTUzhVoAAI_z_.jpg

DRxTQ4SVoAASh6s.jpg

Last edited:

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I guess... not? Not sure what you're talking about. After I beat a boss there's that button thing on the wall who tells me that I can save my game there, that's it. I mean what elevator shaft are you talking about, the thing after beating a boss? I'm not following the terminology, I can take some screen shots and post them....
So, when you beat the boss of the 1st floor, proceed down the elevator. You'll be dropped off at the start of floor 2 by the elevator, and after taking a few steps away from it, it will depart. You need to enter the hole that is left after it departs. There is usually a sign there as well.

Oct 28, 2017
The elevator shaft as soon as you walk into the new floor. You walk out, elevator departs, then there's the shaft.

Edit beat

TYRANITARR

Oct 28, 2017
The elevator shaft as soon as you walk into the new floor. You walk out, elevator departs, then there's the shaft.

Edit beat
So, when you beat the boss of the 1st floor, proceed down the elevator. You'll be dropped off at the start of floor 2 by the elevator, and after taking a few steps away from it, it will depart. You need to enter the hole that is left after it departs. There is usually a sign there as well.

Ahhh okay! I've never done that before, thanks! That's what I was missing!

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
Is this fun coop? Looking for fun multiplayer games.

Considering getting this. Is there any persistence or character growth in this?

I'd recommend Hammerwatch, personally. The gameplay is designed around co-op (online being patched in soon) which is super fun and addictive, and there's definitely character progression.

Too bad nobody's heard about this wonderful little gem sitting on the eShop right now.

Oct 28, 2017
Ahhhhhhhhhh was having a great run and about to fight the floor 5 boss. Then the game crashed with a Switch error pop up and lost all progress :(

Edit: whoa nevermind. Loaded the game back up and started me back at the beginning of the floor. Wonder if people can exploit this and try to reload a floor if doing poorly.

Last edited:

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think I've ever enjoyed a game that I'm so crap at it as much as I enjoy this. I've managed to finally get to the floor 3 boss which I realise looks pitiful compared to some of you lot, but I felt like it was a big achievement for myself haha.

The annoying thing was I could have beaten the floor 3 boss (tank) if I had just some ammo left for my decent weapons, but because the shopkeeper wasn't selling any I had to use my starter pistol which was obviously rubbish against it. Nevermind.

What am I supposed to do with the floating eyeballs on floor 3 that have little hearts next to them?

OnanieBomb

Oct 25, 2017
I am so hooked on this game, love it.

I think chamber 4 is the farthest I've gotten. But those chamber 1 bosses are pretty easy now so I must be getting better in some way.

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Never even made it to the 2nd floor boss. I don't understand the appeal of games giving you one life with no other options. Seems like it could have easily been an optional super hard classic mode, not the entire game. This isn't a genre, it's a massive design flaw. $15 to play the first floor over and over again and barely see anything else.
That's ridiculous. As someone who's really bad at twin-stick shooters I've completed the game and unlocked almost all the unlockables. Just because something doesn't sit with you, doesn't mean it's inherently bad, you just have to learn to use the blanks and the roll.

Deleted member 14649

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Games like this take me back to my arcade visiting days in the 80s. You youngsters today don't know how easy you have it!

Zekes

Oct 25, 2017
The old times seem a little long (is it just me?) but otherwise it plays like I remember it.

The joycons suck for dual analog control through

Anton Sugar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'd recommend Hammerwatch, personally. The gameplay is designed around co-op (online being patched in soon) which is super fun and addictive, and there's definitely character progression.

Too bad nobody's heard about this wonderful little gem sitting on the eShop right now.

Ooooh, thanks! Think I'll pick this up right now.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
I saved a run once only to find the continue option gone.

I played some Gungeon on another profile in the interim, could that somehow mess it up? I genuinely wonder if I continued that run without remembering lol.

I have another fortitous run saved up right now. Hope nothing happens.

Gheeron

Oct 25, 2017
So I found a pretty significant glitch that seems to work every time if peeps are looking for a guaranteed way to get a no hit run on a single floor. If you happen to find a Glass Guon Stone in a secret area on the floor, it seems like you can pick up an infinite amount of them as long as you don't leave that specific room/spot where it was originally. You can basically make a force field that eats all the shots around you. It does return to the normal amount you should have after dropping to the next floor though. I've done this about 5 times during runs so its definitely reproducible.

I found a glitch last night where this happened
DR1TAmYVQAAUe2d.jpg

Yaw, i will remember that.

Gila Moo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
So if I wanted to discover secret walls, I gotta be holding a different weapon other than that character's primary weapon?

JJShadow

Oct 25, 2017
UK/Spain
Yep, game is dope and fun as hell. Today I managed to get to the third chamber boss, he kicked my ass though lol That feeling of getting more and more skilled after every play session is so rewarding

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
If I'm not a fan of roguelikes/procedurally generated content will I enjoy enter the gungeon?

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
If I'm not a fan of roguelikes/procedurally generated content will I enjoy enter the gungeon?

Possibly, I mean it is one of those, but the action on its own is strong enough that it makes for a great dual-stick shooter regardless. The many guns are fun to find and use, but you will still be rubbing against the RNG aspects and dealing with some BS runs quite often. The mega patch hitting early next year sounds exciting and attempts to flatten the 'feel' of the rogue aspects a bit for newcomers.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Possibly, I mean it is one of those, but the action on its own is strong enough that it makes for a great dual-stick shooter regardless. The many guns are fun to find and use, but you will still be rubbing against the RNG aspects and dealing with some BS runs quite often. The mega patch hitting early next year sounds exciting and attempts to flatten the 'feel' of the rogue aspects a bit for newcomers.

Yeaaah that's exactly what kills me with these kinds of games. Any links to how the mega patch changes things?

I do enjoy them hence this game having my interest, but I've never been able to enjoy a procedurally generated game for very long before dropping it. Even the creme of the crop games like BoI I get bored after 15-20 minutes regardless of how my run goes

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
Sorry to sound like a complete noob, but what are they talking about when they mention synergies?