• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

yumms

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I should've done more research before buying this game...this is a permanent death game with no save points!

Anyway at all to start the game on the chapter you died on instead of always starting the game on chapter one?

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
I should've done more research before buying this game...this is a permanent death game with no save points!

Anyway at all to start the game on the chapter you died on instead of always starting the game on chapter one?
You will find a character who will offer you to make a shortcut to skip a floor (first chamber at the very least) in exchange for materials.

A "side quest" of sorts for the shortcuts.

Haven't done it yet.

I met him outside the elevator in chapter two.

Haunted

Banned
Nov 3, 2017

You unlock elevators to go to later chambers eventually.

That said, starting at a later chambers is a double edged sword as your equipment will obviously be weaker than if you had played the first couple chambers.

Oct 28, 2017
Whew. This game is tough. Anyone got some good pointers for a beginner? Is there any way to permanently upgrade your starter pistol or health?
Don't pick up any keys on the first floor until you clear it all. Unless something changed since I last played, the chances are greater for a key to appear if you have none. And keys won't disappear or be taken by the rat. So just leave them.

Health upgrades come from perfecting bosses or finding items.

Also you can mash the fire button to fire faster for pistols than holding down the button.

yumms

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Thanks guys...

"After defeating a boss without taking damage for the first time, the Tailor will begin to appear in elevator shafts."

That may be tough.

Mistouze

Oct 26, 2017
Thanks guys...

"After defeating a boss without taking damage for the first time, the Tailor will begin to appear in elevator shafts."

That may be tough.
Once you know what the bosses from the first floor are about it's easilly doable if you don't forget to use blanks. Remember that you only need to do it once for the NPC to start appearing, thus initiating its "quest line" for the shortcuts.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
Thanks guys...

That may be tough.
I think trigger twins are easiest to pull that off with.

I'm no Gungeon badass, in fact I can be pretty sloppy, but I managed to improve to the point where I pulled it off once. I expect these bosses to become progressively easier as I become familiar with them from fighting them repeatedly.

Shouldn't be different for you.

Phife Dawg

Oct 27, 2017
I think trigger twins are easiest to pull that off with.

I'm no Gungeon badass, in fact I can be pretty sloppy, but I managed to improve to the point where I pulled it off once. I expect these bosses to become progressively easier as I become familiar with them from fighting them repeatedly.

Shouldn't be different for you.
For me Gatling Gull is still the easiest to not get hit, just circle and roll and go ham once he stands around and shoots rockets.

Deleted member 9971

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's up in EU ^^ will buy now just got my paycheck early too cuz of the upcomin holidays :D

I am getting stardew valley, shantae and maybe rocket league but i don't think it will hold me long, i quit the ps4 version after a while so that's my worry :/ so it's better to skip i think might get Unepic instead then that game was really fun on PC it feels like castlevania + board RPG in one it also is a nice parody game on the metroidvania genre.

Edit: hmmm i will add in mummy demastered aswell. Already played steamworld dig 2 on pc :P already bought shantae on ps4 but i just love shantae games will get all the dlc too.

Anyway time for some gungeon play first ;)

Last edited:

jackissocool

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Ohio
Just bought this last night (on PS4, but I just want to talk about it a bit in an active thread!). Spent a few hours doing share play online/game local with a friend and damn, it was fun. At work today and can't wait to get back home. I've been away from indie games for a while and right now I'm wondering why.

XaosWolf

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Just bought this last night (on PS4, but I just want to talk about it a bit in an active thread!). Spent a few hours doing share play online/game local with a friend and damn, it was fun. At work today and can't wait to get back home. I've been away from indie games for a while and right now I'm wondering why.

Indies are better than ever. Toma has a thread on here dedicated to Indie games so check it out if you've been out of the loop.

OP
OP
cbrotherson

cbrotherson

Freelance Games & Comic Book Writer
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Birmingham
The game is hard, but YOU can get better and outskill the entire thing. Remember that.

Yup. Tough but fair. I've found so far it has a similar learning curve of difficulty to Nuclear Throne (another classic, in my eyes). However, Gungeon's tutorial is nicely paced to set you up for the (very) basics.

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yup. Tough but fair. I've found so far it has a similar learning curve of difficulty to Nuclear Throne (another classic, in my eyes).
Nuclear Throne is definitely my favorite of the twin sticky roguelikelikes. Gungeon's fun but the runs take too long for my taste. I'm very much looking forward to the expansion.

Deleted member 9971

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What is the expansion going to add? Can someone give a nice small summary? I have not really followed EtG alot these days.

Also is it free?

deathsaber

Nov 2, 2017
Wound up buying this for PS4, since its currently half price there ($7.50)- never even heard of the game until now, but I love these kind of games. Portability on Switch would have been nice, but $7.50 is a good point of entry for me to take a chance on something. If I'm really into it, maybe I'll grab on Switch too if there is a sale.

Last edited:

The Cellar Letters

lmayo
Oct 25, 2017
Would up buying this for PS4, since its currently half price there ($7.50)- never even heard of the game until now, but I love these kind of games. Portability on Switch would have been nice, but $7.50 is a good point of entry for me to take a chance on something. If I'm really into it, maybe I'll grab on Switch too if there is a sale.
It's $7.50 on the Mexican eShop too!

XaosWolf

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
What is the expansion going to add? Can someone give a nice small summary? I have not really followed EtG alot these days.

Also is it free?

From the Wiki:
Enter the Gungeon's Advanced Gungeons & Dragons Update is a free update that will be released early 2018. It features 20 guns, 20 items, new rooms, a secret floor with the Resourceful Rat as a boss, over 500 synergies, and various balance changes

We don't have the full details yet but it will be a free update.

Lozjam

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
Hellos everybody. I'm actually having a really hard time with the bosses. For the most part, I don't really have any problems taking out enemies in the rooms, but I find myself being completely swarmed by bullets that I have a really hard time rolling away, and I feel like whatever guns it gives me, doesn't do enough damage(if they do give me guns in that room).

Deleted member 9971

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I edited my controls to:
ZR = shoot
ZL = Roll
Left analoge joystick click = blank
Item use = R
Map = L

Works like a charm.

Maybe will switch B and A around.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Just bought and played this having not played my PS4 version for quite some time but I do like this game. I'm not good at it but I like it more than TBOI, which whilst I understand the appeal it just wasn't for me. Quite difficult, more so than TBOI in my opinion but it's a rewarding and encouraging difficulty like Dark Souls.

Between this, Rocket League, Snake Pass and Golf Story I have 4 really quality download only games on the system already and they all feel great on it, particularly in handheld.

Keits

Designer at Iron Galaxy Studios
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Orlando, FL
Hellos everybody. I'm actually having a really hard time with the bosses. For the most part, I don't really have any problems taking out enemies in the rooms, but I find myself being completely swarmed by bullets that I have a really hard time rolling away, and I feel like whatever guns it gives me, doesn't do enough damage(if they do give me guns in that room).

Don't roll away. Roll through. You have a large invulnerability window when you dodge roll.

Use the environment to your advantage if you can and be patient.

Tendo

Oct 26, 2017
How do I find secret rooms and floors?

I know for rooms I shoot walls with guns that require ammo and look fora crack then fire a blank. But is there any clue what rooms may have a secret room? I know in Isaac you can narrow down where to check - is there a way to do that here as well?

Balphon

Oct 25, 2017
How do I find secret rooms and floors?

I know for rooms I shoot walls with guns that require ammo and look fora crack then fire a blank. But is there any clue what rooms may have a secret room? I know in Isaac you can narrow down where to check - is there a way to do that here as well?

Maps will reveal the entire floor including the secret rooms, and there's another item that makes a ghost spawn and point at secret rooms.

Beyond that you'd just have to be aware of where they can be given a floor layout and where they usually appear in rooms. They frequently show up in the shop and the exit room.

Hidden floors have special requirements:

Oubliette: The first floor always contains a fireplace. Put out the fire either by pushing a water barrel into it (there's always one in the room) or by using a gun or item that generates water or another liquid. Walk into the fireplace, hit the invisible switch, and a hidden room will open with the trapdoor to the Oubliette. It requires two keys.

Abbey: Take the Old Crest from a room in the Oubliette to the room on the second floor with the altar and tombs. Place it on the altar and the stairs to the Abbey will appear. The Old Crest counts as armor so you will lose it if you take damage by carrying it.

Bullet Hell: Complete the initial four characters' pasts and you will be pulled into Bullet Hell as you walk down the bridge towards the Gun That Can Kill The Past. On subsequent runs there will be a hole in the floor you can jump into to enter it.

Last edited:

Rizific

Oct 27, 2017
I've been having a fucking blast with this game. I think I'm gonna have to say that it's a better game than Isaac.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Isaac never did anything for me, while Gungeon is amazing. Frankly I'm puzzled about what people see in Isaac (not that I mind people liking stuff I don't, I just don't get it).

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
Woah guys, Binding of Isaac is legendary, that's steep praise... might have to check this out though, as somebody elsewhere on this page said, charging £40 for Binding of Isaac is cheeky as fuck.

Deleted member 9971

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Woah guys, Binding of Isaac is legendary, that's steep praise... might have to check this out though, as somebody elsewhere on this page said, charging £40 for Binding of Isaac is cheeky as fuck.
Yeah with Isaac i will surely wait on a eshop sale, i personally prefer EtG anyway.
Game is mega cool btw if you like bullet hell games you will like this it might look hard in the beginning but if you keep doing runs you will learn and become good. It's a very addicting game and just like isaac can hook you for multiple 100s of hours.

It's like a Zelda game with guns lol. Well the action part of Zelda mostly but still quite awesome!

Oh and finally the graphics pixel style looks awesome. I totally recommend this game. Already played it a whole lot today :P (EU so got it today)

GDGF

Oct 26, 2017
I got careless at the Beholster and ran into his beam :(

Also, anybody know what these alters are for?

Edit Nevermind! Saw Balphons post.