• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Keits

Designer at Iron Galaxy Studios
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Orlando, FL
You'll waste tons of runs because the game puts you in situations in which you don't get any items, bad items, or no keys/money to obtain items.

You'll have to develop the skill to improvise and use what you can find. That is a large part of the fun of these types of games for many of us. Its not about winning or making progress. Its about learning, getting better, and improvising to do our best with what we can find.

chubigans

Vertigo Gaming Inc.
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Sounds exactly like Binding of Isaac to me. Which I loved.

Funny, I think your post about why you don't like it may have sold me on the game.
I love love love love LOVE the Binding of Issac and I would warn you that this game is a very different kind from Issac. Part of the fun of Issac is finding new synergies and making a bad run into a good one, where I felt like Gungeon could make it to where you were just completely screwed and you had no control over the run.

That said I bought it again on Switch despite not being overly fond of it as I think the big update will address a lot of my issues that's coming out early next year.

Bosh

Oct 26, 2017
Is the loop /strategy still the same as when launched on PS4?

If I remember right when playing (and it's been a while) collect as much as you can, first two floors only use your pistol and then floors after use a mix of guns collected and pistols?

I love Isaac and Nuclear Throne but only found Gungeon okay. If you wanted a serious run you had to stockpile all the cool stuff to hope you could use it later. Besides that mechanic the game was awesome but that was a big deal for me at the time.

chubigans

Vertigo Gaming Inc.
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I just don't agree with this at all.
I did play the very first version of Gungeon so maybe they've changed it, but I remember being out of money and having bad guns and feeling like I couldn't do anything to improve the run. Whereas with Issac you had plenty of choices you can make with consequences (self sacrifice rooms, curse rooms, deals with the devil, etc.). It's very possible I just didn't understand the fundamentals properly.

chronomac

Oct 25, 2017
Mobile, AL
Same. You will have unlikely runs, at least in terms of drops, but you can definitely improve your dodging, aiming, etc. By getting better at the bosses you can, at the very least, get an extended amount of health. Plus you learn little things, like not picking up keys on a floor until you get to the shop because that guarantees at least one will be there.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Is the loop /strategy still the same as when launched on PS4?

If I remember right when playing (and it's been a while) collect as much as you can, first two floors only use your pistol and then floors after use a mix of guns collected and pistols?

I love Isaac and Nuclear Throne but only found Gungeon okay. If you wanted a serious run you had to stockpile all the cool stuff to hope you could use it later. Besides that mechanic the game was awesome but that was a big deal for me at the time.

The game drops ammo more often if you use picked up weapons over the unlimited pistol

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Right, the technical skill ceiling is much higher than an Isaac so you can always improve and in addition stay in a run the better you get despite the rng. You really have to learn how to manage resource, keys, what chest to open and how to best use whatever character default abilities and loadout. I think it's by far the best one of these roguelikes/lites.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
Pulled the trigger on impulse without reading the impressions, the game is now downloading, so glad to hear the port isn't borked.

How do single Joycons work?

Bosh

Oct 26, 2017
The game drops ammo more often if you use picked up weapons over the unlimited pistol

Thats good to know! I enjoyed everything else and got the end twice (never beat it unfortunately) but it killed me having all these cool guns and it hurt my chances of winning overall if I used them before the last few stages.

Now that more ammo drops for guns you use I will give it another go

Ain't Nobody

Oct 30, 2017

I agree with your disagreement. In Gungeon, your default weapon has unlimited ammo and it's viable through the game. It's rarely the BEST choice to fight a boss, but I've beaten all the first two level bosses with it, and one of the level three bosses. You're never screwed; your mobility is your biggest asset.

Protip: Do not open any treasure chests and do not pick up any weapons in level 1. This will force the boss to drop something usually quite nice. After the boss is dead, go back if you want to.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
When you die in this do you keep your money and items, or do you start from zero on every death?

Ain't Nobody

Oct 30, 2017
When you die in this do you keep your money and items, or do you start from zero on every death?

There are two currencies. Hegemony Bucks, which look like the letter H. These carry over between deaths. You buy weapons with these, but you don't get to keep it. It unlocks the ability for that weapon to spawn in the gungeon. The money you get from killing enemies is gone when you die.

You don't keep items. You can choose between four characters who have their own starting gear though.

Protip: The marine is easy mode. Get used to the game with him. He has the best starting weapon, he has an extra point of armor, and he can call in an ammo supply drop.

Yolkghost

Oct 25, 2017
This is one of the indies that I've been patiently waiting for on Switch. Sadly i'm wrapped up in Xenoblade 2 and already feel like I have too many games but i'll definitely pick this up when I finish Xenoblade 2's story!

Oct 28, 2017
Any demo by chance?

Love the game on PC but preferred mouse over Xbox controller.

Wouldn't mind double dipping for this.

dralla

Oct 27, 2017
I did play the very first version of Gungeon so maybe they've changed it, but I remember being out of money and having bad guns and feeling like I couldn't do anything to improve the run. Whereas with Issac you had plenty of choices you can make with consequences (self sacrifice rooms, curse rooms, deals with the devil, etc.). It's very possible I just didn't understand the fundamentals properly.
They've adjusted drop rates quite a bit so you'll get keys (and weapons since you can open more chests) and ammo more often earlier in runs. Even still I would recommend not opening every chest you see, I wouldn't open any brown chests. I know people like to compare this to Isaac but it's quite different in that you need to be a little more selective with how you spend your resources.

chubigans

Vertigo Gaming Inc.
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
For some reason this game already feels way better on the Switch. So I'm looking forward to learning all the intricacies as I knew I was probably missing something. :p

Also I can't for the life of me see any difference in the three visual settings. Game looks sharp and runs well.

Askherserenity

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Ok, so it does seem to have single joycon co-op...

From a Destructoid article they put up today.

"Speaking of local co-op, Gungeon even offers single Joy-Con compatibility by using the built-in motion control feature. Instead of aiming with the right joystick, players will have to tilt the controller in the direction that they want to shoot. It's hardly the ideal way to play, and you won't have to assuming you own another Joy-Con set or Pro Controller, but it's a fun addition nonetheless."

https://www.destructoid.com/enter-the-gungeon-and-the-switch-are-a-match-made-in-heaven-477946.phtml

Askherserenity

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Ended up buying it.

Game is fantastic so far! LOVE having roguelikes on my Switch.

It plays perfectly so far and a lot of options.

Seriously, perfect port so far.

Nine

Oct 27, 2017
Kentucky
Hmmm. I have this on PS4 though I've barely touched it. Not sure I want to double dip here yet. I am very interested in Nuclear Throne so maybe I'll just hold that itch until it potentially comes out on Switch.

I also don't have Steamworld Dig 2 yet and that's 14.99 at the moment as well. Probably will go with it as I haven't heard a single bad thing about that game.

Blackie

Oct 25, 2017
Wherever
I liked Binding of Isaac on Switch but am loving Gungeon! Great atmosphere and slick bullet-hell gameplay, quite addictive ^_^

Rokal

Oct 25, 2017
I thought Isaac felt a bit more unfairly random, though I enjoyed both games immensely. Gungeon doesn't have anything like pills for example, which are a total crapshoot.

This is my most-played game on Steam by total hours and it feels like a perfect fit for portable Switch gaming. Very happy to double dip.

Papaya

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
California
This game is a lot of fun! I really want the update though, as it is very hard. I feel like bosses are the main reason it is so hard, too.

Also, I have experienced some pretty big slow down. Nothing too big, except one time. I fought the medusa boss and used a mini-gun. The game slowed down so much, I died almost immediately. I just wasn't able to dodge any bullets effectively :P I've played it almost exclusively undocked.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
I played the tutorial and made two runs, both thwarted at the first boss, before dressing up for work this morning.

This is the first rogue like I have ever touched.

Oct 27, 2017
The Facility
It was just a quick test to check out the game.

Not that I don't expect to get destroyed repeatedly even while trying for realz though.

For what it's worth, the bullet King seemed far more easier than the the ripped bird.

Bullet King is pure, straightforward bullet Hell. Use your Dodge Roll as often as needed, and watch out for his chancellor! That little guy will go OFF if you shoot/Blank him!

Gatling Gull is hard, but the trick is to keep your distance UNTIL he flies away. Once he does that, he'll usually spit up some rockets, standing still long enough for you to get some good damage in! There's no time limit, so keep your distance until he uses the rockets!

There's another boss too, but I'll stay silent on that unless you want me to elaborate!

Davey Cakes

Oct 27, 2017
Massachusetts
I likely won't get this on Switch, but I'll admit it's probably a good fit.

On PC, it's just a struggle for me. Even getting past the first and second stages is just...fuck. That's how I can describe it. I mean, it's hard. It's repetitive. I want to like it more. I feel like I'm missing something.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
Bullet King is pure, straightforward bullet Hell. Use your Dodge Roll as often as needed, and watch out for his chancellor! That little guy will go OFF if you shoot/Blank him!

Gatling Gull is hard, but the trick is to keep your distance UNTIL he flies away. Once he does that, he'll usually spit up some rockets, standing still long enough for you to get some good damage in! There's no time limit, so keep your distance until he uses the rockets!

There's another boss too, but I'll stay silent on that unless you want me to elaborate!
I am pretty damn spoiled on the early game, watched a fair few northernlion vids back in the day.

So don't worry.

Oct 27, 2017
The Facility
What does this mean? Do blanks affect the enemies themselves?

One of the blanks made bullet King look green and uncomfortable for a sec? Was that a coincidence or do they stun enemies?

Normally they'll make enemies kinda flinch and stop shooting for a moment. Bullet King has a little dizzy animation after one of his attacks, if I recall correctly.

Some enemies, like the chancellor, will react badly to being Blanked. He's basically a Bullet Kin, but you don't really want MORE bullets, right?

I am pretty damn spoiled on the early game, watched a fair few northernlion vids back in the day.

So don't worry.

Oh, alright then!

The Trigger Twins are probably the easiest of the Chamber 1 bosses, in my opinion. Just don't get between them, and try to keep their health relatively even. When one dies, the other will get faster, shoot more bullets, and heal a bit. Stay calm! And don't let their Bullet Kin minions distract you!

General Chamber 1 tips:

•Save your keys on Brown chests. They're normally not worth it.
•The most dangerous enemies in Chamber 1 are probably the Hollowpoints (ghosts); don't let their teleport catch you off guard!
•If your only chests are brown, it may be fruitful to wait till you kill the boss. If you haven't gotten a gun yet, bosses are guaranteed to drop one.
•Gun Nuts (Knights) LOOK nasty, but have a dirty secret: just circle them; they're too slow to keep up!
•Don't stand under chandeliers. Shoot down chandeliers over enemies!
•RARE, but watch chests carefully before opening. They can be Mimics even this early on. A Mimic will occasionally have to open up and breathe.

Last edited:

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Gungeon is so good, the only reason I'm not double dipping is because I don't have a Switch. :D

Same, although I probably played after they adjusted the drop rates.

Any demo by chance?

Love the game on PC but preferred mouse over Xbox controller.

Wouldn't mind double dipping for this.

What would you need a demo for? You already know how the game plays with a controller.

Haunted

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Glad to hear it seems to be running smoothly on Switch!

From what I've been reading, they're aware of some of the difficulty/lack of synergy/overly long and repetitive 1st chamber complaints and have been taking steps to alleviate those for the Advanced Gungeons and Draguns update.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
Ooooh, might grab Gungeon this weekend. Love playing it on PC, but this is the perfect game to have in portable form.