• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

see5harp

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
This game is much better on a controller than Isaac IMO. The issues with the game mainly lie with how long each run takes and how slow the default movement is IMO. Otherwise the art, animation, presentation, polish, is way higher than Issac, especially the flash version.

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
Hmm, I feel like I may double dip on this but I don't know how it'll feel without mouse and keyboard. Guess I can use a controller on the PC version and see.
It actually felt easier going from Mouse to Controller. Though that's probably due to the aim assist they give to controller players.

Blabadon

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
This game is much better on a controller than Isaac IMO. The issues with the game mainly lie with how long each run takes and how slow the default movement is IMO. Otherwise the art, animation, presentation, polish, is way higher than Issac, especially the flash version.
Most games are better than BoI.

FlashFlooder

Oct 30, 2017
This is a great game. Own it on PS4 and always wished they'd put it on Vita as well... you Switch owners are lucky!

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017
Is this an endless game or does it have an ending at some point?

It's not an endless series of levels and each character does have an ending but the game is built around replaying it. The game is about how the systems that generate the layouts, enemies, and loot interact to create a unique experience each time rather than a defined end point.

Phife Dawg

Oct 27, 2017
Another must-have for me, day one. But I don't really have time for it... I think I have a problem.

Chojin

Oct 26, 2017
This is going to sell well because Switch is starved

/s

You know I never played this as I hate wasd controls. But this on Switch with twin stick?

Okay I'm in!

Zekes

Oct 25, 2017
Been wanting to go back to the PS4 version and when I heard they were making a Switch version I knew I'd wait for it. Glad it's coming so soon

DeanBDean

Oct 27, 2017
For the people saying Gungeon is like Isaac with guns...I'm going to strongly disagree.

On the surface it may look like it. However, Isaac is more about strategizing from the items available to build the most powerful run possible. You have to maintain in your head how active/passive items and consumables all intermingle to craft a unique experience every time.

Gungeon isn't really like this. In Isaac, you essentially have one weapon that you modify in a startling number of ways. Gungeon you pick up weapons, most of which aren't that great, and you have very few synergies. The moment to moment gameplay in Gungeon does feel tighter to me, but it's also more difficult than Isaac. For me personally, these differences soured gungeon, along with some of the sparse ammo problems and the longer floors than Isaac. I am still probably going to pick it up for the Switch, especially because I'm hoping the Gungeon & Dragun update fixes a lot of my complaints.

Snkfanatic

Oct 25, 2017
Just got this during the Steam sale and I have had it on PS4 since it came out...still tempted to triple dip. Would be awesome to have mobile.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
Dying to play this with the Advanced Gungeons expansion(whenever that hits).

Never had much issue with the controller, but I always felt floor 1 was far too unfavorable at giving the player some reliable boost. Felt like a majority of my runs were forcing me to face down the boss with no real beneficial upgrades wayyyy too often. I know this is one of the big changes coming, but it bothered me having such a massive list of guns to obtain and never really getting them until overcoming that first hurdle with the standard peashooter. RNG just seemed a bit off and left me frustrated more than not.

thebisonxrc

Oct 25, 2017
Been curious about this one due to it being so highly regarded, but I have never really known what it's about. Seeing that it's got some Isaac to it gets me very interested. I'll definitely be looking into it more thoroughly now!

Yoshi88

Oct 26, 2017
Fantastic. Finally. I love this game. Christmas holidays are huge this year.

I'm a fan of Isaac but gungeon is the way more pleasant, polished and simply funnier experience.

Don't miss this, ERA!!

Dingotech

Oct 25, 2017
I really enjoyed this game at first but I quickly got very bored with it.

The amount of time you spend replaying the boring first level just killed my interest in the game. They needed to mix it up more, or make it shorter or something.

I just wasn't interested in playing that level over and over again with the pea shooter type guns.

Footos22

Oct 25, 2017
Double dip baby

Game plays amazing with a controller for ppl worried. Platinumed the ps4 version pretty easily.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
The game plays fine with a controller, there's a generous amount of aim assist.
This is also my biggest complaint by far. Floor 1 takes so long and it's so incredibly boring. Hell, each floor is too long. I'm bad at the game and rarely reach floor 3-4, partially because I zone out and make stupid mistakes on floor 1-2. There's a big gulf in difficulty between each floor, so if you're bad like me, literally half of your playtime may be spent grinding through the first boring-ass floor time and time again.

This is a common problem with roguelites, but I thought ETG's solution is pretty good: enemies only drop money if they didn't hurt you, and if you kill bosses without being touched, they drop an extra heart container.

Miker

Oct 25, 2017
This is a common problem with roguelites, but I thought ETG's solution is pretty good: enemies only drop money if they didn't hurt you, and if you kill bosses without being touched, they drop an extra heart container.

If you mean that as a solution to first floor boredom, I disagree. It asks for more attention from me to get a perfect run through a boring floor, which for me just enhances how tedious the first floor is. I would so much rather they simply make the first floor generate half the rooms as it does right now. Maybe trim the second floor a bit as well. I'm sure some people would be angry at that change, but for me, it would be a 100% upgrade.

Ausroachman

Oct 27, 2017
Bought it on ps4, absolutely love the art and all the gun puns , but felt the game was wayyy too hard on the first level (plus the fact I suck at schmups doesn't help.

Just felt it was wayyy too slow repeating that same dungeon over and over , not sure if they ever addressed it in future patches as I have yet to go back .

However the portability of switch is the perfect platform for this type of game .

Papaya

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
California
I was thinking about grabbing this. I played a bit on PC at a friends. It was fun, but was too long :P Apparently, reading from this thread, it's gonna get patched though?

I think a game like this, may be what my Switch needs. I got bored of Isacc and sold it, but this game always seemed more promising, if they could fix the problems.