• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Castor

Oct 29, 2017
New York City
Ohh my boss list is so different. Trigger Twins and Gatling Gull are switched. If I get his room with the water in the sides I'm getting hit. Tread and Balrog are switched. Balrog just randoms me out so much it's sickening >_<. Also find 4 easier then Wall for some reason.

If anybody wanna do some co-op runs sometime PM me. I want to get the Cultist stuff legit but nobody I know likes the game unfortunately. Have almost everything unlocked but High Dragunfire, that thing from Tonic, and the Beholder shrine synergies. Not gonna be critical or impatient or anything just really looking to play with someone.

BayonettasBuddy

Lead Producer at Cold Symmetry
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
I've finally got done a couple of runs, killing the past for the Hunter and Marine. I've only scratched the surface, haven't I?

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Count me in for the "Gatling Gull is the hardest floor 1 boss if you get a layout with no columns". And Ammoconda can go fuck itself.

Ohh my boss list is so different. Trigger Twins and Gatling Gull are switched. If I get his room with the water in the sides I'm getting hit.

Yeah, that's the fucking worst. Gatling Gull with the water moats has no business being a freaking floor 1 boss.

Clone is so fun and OP. If I get clone I kill myself before dragun just so I can continue my build.

Also love doing rainbow runs, specially with the pilot. Alpha and Omega bullets and the one that fires a bullet on reload and hopefully some spice - you have no problem winning the game with the starting crossbow.

I may be missing something but:
1) Shouldn't you kill yourself after the Dragun (assuming you haven't unlocked Hell)?
2) I'm assuming you meant the Hunter?

A Path Finder

Developer at ioi
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I may be missing something but:
1) Shouldn't you kill yourself after the Dragun (assuming you haven't unlocked Hell)?
2) I'm assuming you meant the Hunter?

You are correct on both accounts :) I am playing pilot right now since that's the only one of the og four that I have not killed the past in yet, think that's why I messed it up. Pilot is...not that fun imo.

I'd say Bullet King > Gatling Gull > Trigger Twins

I cannot deal with Bullet King. Is there some kind of good tactics around that I don't know about?

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
You are correct on both accounts :) I am playing pilot right now since that's the only one of the og four that I have not killed the past in yet, think that's why I messed it up. Pilot is...not that fun imo.

Yeah, for me there's quite a huge difference between Marine / Hunter (fun), and Pilot / Convict (not fun). It's a shame because I love the idea behind the Pilot, it just doesn't translate well to game mechanics.

I'd say Bullet King > Gatling Gull > Trigger Twins

I cannot deal with Bullet King. Is there some kind of good tactics around that I don't know about?

I find that with Bullet King, just keeping your distance makes most of his attacks relatively easy to dodge. He's the easiest to kite because he can't pincer attack you like the twins, and his room is always large unlike Gull. You have to kind of circle the room so that he never corners you, sometimes this means hugging the wall and luring him so you can quickly go around the other side without getting too close (it's hard to explain in words, hahah). I also kill the chancellor first thing in the fight, aint nobody got time for him getting hit with a stray bullet and screwing your dodging.

Old King, though... that one is a veritable bastard. I avoid the Abbey for that reason, half of the times it's a run ender.

jml

Mar 9, 2018
What do you guys recommend for killing double Lich?

I'd say just do rainbow runs until you get a run that's absolutely batshit broken. You'll win it eventually. I beat it with a clone run where I had a Yari Launcher, Vulcan Cannon, and a bunch of bullet upgrade passives. It made the final boss a joke.

And if you're not doing it already, you can get some extra chests out of rainbow runs to make it easier. For example you get an extra chest if you go the Oubliette route (and yet another chest if you feel daring and want to go to the Abbey). You get another rainbow chest if you go to the rat's lair too. Don't fight the rat though, just leave the lair as soon as you can.

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
No, unfortunately... like the one for completing all Frifle's challenges, that's one of the trophies that take a bit of time to unlock.

So annoying blegh. I know it's just trophies but it bugs me. Frifle burned me out so bad on this game, so coming back to grind out just a chance to get this trophy is so annoying.

Deleted member 49179

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2018
So annoying blegh. I know it's just trophies but it bugs me. Frifle burned me out so bad on this game, so coming back to grind out just a chance to get this trophy is so annoying.

I know he has a chance to spawn on floors 1 to 4, but from my own non-scientific experience I usually see him a lot more on floors 2 and 3. Maybe take the elevator, do a quick run there, and immediately restart at the end of the floor (before the boss) if you don't see him?

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017
I had a pretty good run going but I forgot that the game doesn't save progress between sessions. :(

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
I know he has a chance to spawn on floors 1 to 4, but from my own non-scientific experience I usually see him a lot more on floors 2 and 3. Maybe take the elevator, do a quick run there, and immediately restart at the end of the floor (before the boss) if you don't see him?

I'll give it a shot. Just did probably my 15th run since picking this back up and have yet to see him. Pretty ridiculous.

pixeldreams

Oct 27, 2017
Haven't jumped in too much since the update as I'm juggling a few games and want to dedicate a lot of time to this. Last time I left off I was doing Boss Rush in order for the Lead God achievement and managed to choke it away on the final boss no less than a half dozen times now. Does Rainbow Mode make that any easier? Or the new characters?

jml

Mar 9, 2018
Haven't jumped in too much since the update as I'm juggling a few games and want to dedicate a lot of time to this. Last time I left off I was doing Boss Rush in order for the Lead God achievement and managed to choke it away on the final boss no less than a half dozen times now. Does Rainbow Mode make that any easier? Or the new characters?

Yes and yes

The new Gunslinger character is the strongest character in the game, his starting passive is nuts

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
Been playing for a week now, picked this up again after failing to get into the game before and now I have 3 dragun kills under my belt lol.

From what I played so far, the game seems a lot more manageable and the synergies really do have a positive effect on your run most of the time and helps make otherwise not so useful items have a purpose. I only played the supply drop(?) update and have not gone back to the game until now but that is what it feels like that to me anyway.

Idk if they had as many bullet upgrades as before but I noticed they really can make a huge difference to you run also. I got scatter shot and bouncy bullets one run and I ended up using my starting weapon over everything else because I could spray with abandon. Before it was a necessity to keep using your starter weapon until floor 3 but now here I was doing it anyway because off the bullet upgrades I got.

Overall the bigger selection of items just seems to help you find more avenues of improving your runs over just getting better guns. But I think probably the less brutal ammo and key changes to the game in previous updates coupled with me unlocking more items in the game (and a generous dose of git gud) contributed to me getting that first dragun kill. Managed to get 2 pasts done as well.

I am just glad to finally be able to get into this game having failed to do so previously, have a lot of shit to unlock but excited to get into it.

h0tp0ck3t

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
yYPMHxo.jpg
NOOOOOOOOO! I was so close!! At least I unlocked Rainbow mode this run so it should be easy to start killing pasts. I hope lol

Zocano

Oct 26, 2017
I love it when I'm an hour+ in a run cause of clone and get to hell in a broken build so I can unlock paradox and the game hangs on the loading screen into Bullet Hell and force close doesn't do anything on PS4 so I just lose the run entirely. Super fun.

Oct 27, 2017
OKC
the new update convinced me to buy it this weekend, pretty hooked rn. beat dragun for the first time last night. definitely scratching the Binding of Isaac itch i've had for a while that no other rougelike has been able to.

Avengers23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Beat the Dragun.

Didn't smash the Dragun's skull to get the last component for the bullet.

Damn it.

jml

Mar 9, 2018
Beat the Dragun.

Didn't smash the Dragun's skull to get the last component for the bullet.

Damn it.
I'm pretty sure literally everyone who has beaten the game has either made that mistake or has forgotten to ask the blacksmith for the bullet at least once. It's frustrating for sure.

Balbanes

Oct 25, 2017
Bought this back when it launched, but never really played it. Started playing a couple days ago and I'm really enjoying it. I've gotten to the third floor boss a few times, and the fourth floor boss once.

Should I be worrying about NPCs or "quest lines" or unlocking certain things, or should I just be farming bosses to buy new weapons and items?

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017
Bought this back when it launched, but never really played it. Started playing a couple days ago and I'm really enjoying it. I've gotten to the third floor boss a few times, and the fourth floor boss once.

Should I be worrying about NPCs or "quest lines" or unlocking certain things, or should I just be farming bosses to buy new weapons and items?

You want to free trapped NPCs because most of them become shopskeepers in the hub area or the gungeon. The elevator shortcut unlocks are nice too, although like a lot of Roguelikes starting further in is actually handicapping yourself, but it's nice if you're trying to do something on a specific floor.

Balbanes

Oct 25, 2017
I'm getting kinda nervous because things have been going a little *too* well so far haha. I'm about 5 hours in and I've made the 4th floor twice and the 5th floor once. I was really low on health and ammo when I got to the 5th floor, so I got rocked almost immediately. It's very possible that I've been getting lucky with items, so I wouldn't be surprised if I slow down soon. The first two floors have seemed pretty easy so far on every run.

I'm glad that the items show the names instead of how it is in Isaac. I'm hoping I'll start unlocking some crazy stuff soon.

Balbanes

Oct 25, 2017
OK question about Doug. I freed him, and I want to make sure I understand his mechanics.

The way I understand it is: He'll show up randomly with two items. He'll stay in the breach until I've bought both items (this is the main part I want to confirm). At that point, he'll disappear until I find him again in the gungeon. After I find him, he will randomly appear in the breach and the process starts over. I want to make sure I understand how it works because his items seem really good, so I'm trying to buy his stuff as quickly as possible.

So far, I've mostly been buying from Cadence and Ox. Since I've freed but haven't purchased something from Trorc and Professor Goopton, they aren't in the breach yet.

ginnokane

Oct 28, 2017
OK question about Doug. I freed him, and I want to make sure I understand his mechanics.

The way I understand it is: He'll show up randomly with two items. He'll stay in the breach until I've bought both items (this is the main part I want to confirm). At that point, he'll disappear until I find him again in the gungeon. After I find him, he will randomly appear in the breach and the process starts over. I want to make sure I understand how it works because his items seem really good, so I'm trying to buy his stuff as quickly as possible.

So far, I've mostly been buying from Cadence and Ox. Since I've freed but haven't purchased something from Trorc and Professor Goopton, they aren't in the breach yet.
I'm fairly sure all the NPC vendors are found for good once you free them. There is one NPC (not vendor) that needs to be found several times, but that's specifically your fault, and you will know what you did to make it happen.

As for how buying works, I think the items refresh the next run after being purchased, but sometimes doug disappears for a few runs and comes back with more items. Other vendors stay there, even if they have no more goods to sell.

Avengers23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Something clicked since the time I beat the Dragun and forgot to pick up the last piece of the bullet from it. I've beaten the Dragun twice more and killed the pasts of the Hunter and the Soldier in the last 3 runs.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
I just got the paradox and I'm doing the run to unlock the gunslinger. It's a rainbow run and I'm excited because I got lucky with a ridiculously good combination of items:

Super hot watch
Gunther
Gundromeda Strain
Spice

Still a few more floors to go because I'm doing the optional floors for more rainbow chests. Gonna try to find more damage boosts.

Rainbow mode is OP as hell but I'm enjoying it a lot more than normal mode. I think I've had my fill of normal chests lol.

Oct 25, 2017
Yep after hundreds of hours of normal runs, it's nice have a mode that is "just give me my choice of good shit." Binding of Isaac could have used that.

h0tp0ck3t

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Is there any reason not to do rainbow runs? I've gotten the Vulcan in my first chest three times now XD

h0tp0ck3t

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
So after the most bonkers rainbow run that landed me 2 clones a super hot watch and master rounds for all five bosses, I switched off rainbow mode. I can't even reach the third floor now XD

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
Gunslinger unlocked. After that super OP Paradox run, the Gunslinger didn't have great choices in each floor. I was a bit low on health and not confident I'd clear, but on Floor 5 I got the Black Hole gun and it turns out with the Gunslinger's passive, it was a complete run winner on its own. That gun carried me through the rest of the game.

Deleted member 49179

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2018
Just received a new patch on PS4. It should contain all the following:

Patch 2.1.9 (Now live on Steam, GOG, and PS4, coming to Xbox One and Switch soon)
  • Fixed (again) an issue which allowed the Unfinished Gun to show up in shops even after the Finished Gun is unlocked
  • Fixed (again) an issue which could cause door and pedestal sprites to show glitched textures (finally reproduced this one and confirmed it's fixed)
  • The 360 No Scope synergy is no longer dependent on framerate, which should make this more reliable (especially on some controllers)
  • Fixed another issue related to infinite dog petting (caused by table flipping)
  • Reverted the change which started the speedrun timer when opening a rainbow chest
  • Fixed the speedrun timer format (now uses a period between seconds and milliseconds instead of a colon)
Patch 2.1.8
Major
  • Updated our Unity version to fix the Citrix Workspace issue and several Unity-related crashes
Gameplay Changes/Improvements
  • Chain lightning effects no longer damage friendly companions
  • Added better crash recovery for Paradox progress and the Gunslinger's past
  • The new characters now show up in the breach even if you can't afford runs with them
  • We now accept mouse clicks for advancing dialogue in boss intros (like other NPC conversations)
  • Added milliseconds to the speedrun timer by default and improved timer performance
  • Removed an invisible collider in the Breach (lol)
  • The Breach now has a visual indication of whether or not the alternate starting guns are active
  • Improved the interaction between beam weaponry and Orbital Bullets (the circle portion no longer collides with walls)
  • Several QoL improvements to Duct Tape, particularly with large clip guns
  • Improved the interaction of the Triple Gun with ammo capacity increases
  • Improved the interaction of the Chamber Gun with ammo capacity increases
  • Improved the interaction of the Bloodbulon with freeze status
  • Reverted the control change to the Bloodied Scarf introduced in FTA (this caused several issues and cursor jumping on mouse controls)
  • The Big Shotgun can now consume the new shotgun kin types
  • Made 360 No Scope synergy more consistent on controller
  • Added a fallback to the Chest Teleporter; if a chest fails to spawn, it will spawn on the next floor
Bug fixes
  • (Consoles) Fixed a number of crashes, including ones related to:
    • Throwing a gun in the coop past
    • Finishing the coop past
    • Reflecting the DraGun's knives
    • Paradox and certain animation combinations
    • Dying in coop while firing certain shotguns
    • Some Blooper synergies
    • Several issues related to quick restarting
    • Entering some rooms in the rat maze after reviving with the Gun Soul
    • Several issues related to reload aura synergies
    • Several issues which could occur during loading/generation screens (particularly the one which occurred frequently while loading Bullet Hell)
    • Feeding the rat to the baby dragun while he's speaking
    • Running to the edges of the payday drill room with some followers
    • Player followers being transmogrified by projectiles returned by Gunjurers
    • Flipping a table in a room that never contained enemies with some table tech items
    • Flipping a table with Table Tech Rocket and items which increase projectile size
    • Projectiles growing larger than intended due to stacking effects like Snowballets
    • Some hovering weapon synergies
    • Rare issue while encountering the Lost Adventurer for the first time
    • Rare issue during a wall mimic transformation
    • Rare issue with some screen shake values
  • Fixed a softlock caused by shooting Patches and Mendy in coop while one player is interacting with them
  • Fixed a softlock/freeze that could occur on the Blobulord, Fuselier, Resourceful Rat and new secret boss fights (hopefully, we couldn't reproduce this directly)
  • Fixed an issue which prevented entering the new secret floor if the player teleported away immediately after opening the entrance
  • Being cloned while being on fire will no longer result in the clone being on fire
  • Fixed an issue where some unlocks for the DraGun didn't trigger on the Advanced DraGun
  • Seven-Leaf Clover now works correctly when loading midgame saves
  • Fixed issues with several starting items in Paradox runs
  • Fixed several issues where the Unfinished Gun would show up even after the Finished Gun was unlocked
  • Fixed an issue where the new secret floor wasn't always accessible (after loading a midgame save)
  • Fixed an issue which could cause infinite generation screens, particularly in Bullet Hell (hopefully, we couldn't reproduce this one directly)
  • Fixed an issue which could prevent revives in coop when Paradox started with an item that grants Armor
  • Fixed an issue where some Tubo Mode effects were increased in coop
  • The railgun should no longer appear to have "chunky" aim while using a controller
  • Fixed an issue where Junkan's projectiles could grow indefinitely with Snowballets
  • The Number 2 item should no longer be occasionally invisible
  • Fixed an issue where Meat Bun's effect could remain permanently after loading a midgame save
  • Fixed an issue where Paradox could start with double blasphemy
  • Fixed an issue with goop in the Aimless Void
  • Katana Bullets now work with beam weaponry
  • Companions should no longer be worse in Turbo Mode
  • Fixed some text issues with accented characters on the run complete screen
  • Fixed an audio issue with the Payday Drill
  • Fixed an issue where the Ammonomicon could display incorrectly
  • Fixed an issue where players could get stuck in the pet animation if started while dodgerolling
  • Fixed an issue with the Chamber Gun in the fourth secret floor
  • Fixed an issue with the Trigger Twins synergy
  • Fixed an issue where a save button wouldn't appear on the second floor when loading a midgame save
  • Tweaked volume levels for the new secret boss
  • Fixed a bug caused by the Sprun triggering on level load
  • Fixed some volume issues in coop
  • Fixed an issue where Winchester's arcade gun could lose ammo unintentionally
  • Fixed a bug where the Gun Soul would sometimes not properly function in coop
  • Fixed an issue which could cause door and pedestal sprites to show glitched textures (hopefully, we couldn't reproduce this one directly)
  • Fixed some visual issues with Tiny UI in conversations
  • Fixed audio issues with some weapons and synergies (including the Lower Case R and Sprun)
  • Fixed an issue where some synergy auras could become permanent
  • Fixed a typo Chance Bullets' description
  • Fixed an issue where coop players in a Rainbow Run could sometimes pick up two items simultaneously
  • Paradox's random items should now work correctly with shortcuts
  • Fixed several issues with the mimic gun (including entering a past or finishing this weapon during a Gun Queue challenge room)
  • The Gunsling King will no longer issue gun challenges if you have a locked weapon (e.g. gun mimic)
  • Fixed a bad interaction between cooperative play, resurrection chests, and the Clone item
  • Fixed an issue where enemies could become stuck inside NPCs but not directly shot
  • Fixed an issue where the Antichamber synergy would not function
  • Fixed an issue where the in-game timer would not start on chest interaction in Rainbow Runs
  • Fixed an issue where chest spawning noises were too loud in Rainbow Runs
  • Fixed a display issue where certain boss names would be missing accented characters in certain languages
  • Fixed an issue where transformed guns were not properly maintaining ammo across midgame saves
  • Reward pedestals should not appear on the minimap in Rainbow Runs
  • Fixed an issue where quick restarting with an alternate costume resulted in mismatched hands
  • Fixed an issue where secret rooms could interpenetrate with normal rooms
  • Fixed an issue where the Crown of Guns (and related weapons) could appear over the elevator
  • Fixed auto-aim in the Pilot's past
  • Handle companion mirror vollies correctly for challenge modifiers
  • Fixed a visual issue caused by teleporting away from a room while sign text is displayed

https://www.reddit.com/r/EnterTheGungeon/comments/boolwu/a_farewell_to_arms_patch_notes_218/

h0tp0ck3t

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Well I just ruined a great run by getting greedy. Stealing from the shop using smoke bombs, picking up the suitcase of cash, and blowing all of it at Cursulas. Now I'm in the Abby with lord of the jammed and half a heart ;_;

h0tp0ck3t

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
After not being able to make it passed the third floor for something like 10 runs I get a nice broken clone run with wax wings and a glass cannon duct tapped to a Thompson. I beat the Lich on my first try lol

Avengers23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Working on killing the past with the Robot now and trying to unlock the other characters since I've killed the past with the base four characters. Using Rainbow mode to try to get the item that generates armor on every floor so I have at least some way to replenish health on every floor with the Robot.

Oct 25, 2017
After not being able to make it passed the third floor for something like 10 runs I get a nice broken clone run with wax wings and a glass cannon duct tapped to a Thompson. I beat the Lich on my first try lol
It never occurred to me to duct tape the glass cannon to something. I assume that makes it not breakable, right?

Jan 10, 2018
Just started playing this and I'm wondering how it differs from other rogue like games. I've yet to make it past the second floor and I'm waiting for typical rogue like things, like upgraded health, shortcuts, permanent item unlocks etc. But that's not what this particular game is about or am I just not far enough in the game?

h0tp0ck3t

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Just started playing this and I'm wondering how it differs from other rogue like games. I've yet to make it past the second floor and I'm waiting for typical rogue like things, like upgraded health, shortcuts, permanent item unlocks etc. But that's not what this particular game is about or am I just not far enough in the game?
Eventually you'll start rescuing NPCs and they'll move up to the breach and open up shops that you permanently unlock stuff to find on future runs. These items are bought with the hegemony credits that drop from bosses

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
This is more of a "unlock chance to get item" than "upgraded health and permanent item unlock" game. One might even say those are rogue LITE things, not rogue like

h0tp0ck3t

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
My first attempt at a blessed run was also my first encounter with the door lord on the 2nd floor. Nice waste of 6 credits :/

Edit: also had a really nice Bullet run and saved at the start of the third floor cause it was late and I wanted to try resourceful rat when I wasn't tired. Booted up this morning and the run was gone :/