• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

MillionIII

Banned
Sep 11, 2018
I'd reckon that this gen we had more bad remasters than good ones, stuff like the master chief collection, ezio trilogy, bioshock remastered and the dark souls remaster just on top of my head.

While companies like Bluepoint do a great job at remastering games, their talent truly shined with the shadow of the colossus remake. It was just a fantastic way to revisit this masterpiece and thankfully they're not the only one; Ratchet and clank...yakuza...crash...Spyro and now Resident evil 2.

What makes video games such an interesting medium is that technology is very much tied to the quality of a game, sometimes a game is too old and it needs major improvements than just hd and other fluff. There is a charm there sure, but sitting back and playing remasters is often a reminder of how much games evolved since the original release.

Deleted member 426

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
With the PS4 era we definitely have seen a change in mentality with consumers where many people are simply not willing to put up with the jank of old games. I put it down to the extreme high quality of new games.

It's a shame because I actually think the old games are great as they are, once you spend a little time getting acclimatised.

But regardless we've not seen more remakes because this change in mindset is relatively recent. I predict we'll see many more full remakes of PS1-2 era games going forward.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
I think everyone wants the same? I doubt many people would prefer a texture upres of a single generation old game compared to a total new engine remake of one several generations old.

More work I guess and I don't know if people creating remasters is slowing down the progress of people making remakes so not sure it matters. I will say that I wish people on this forum were more enthusiastic about wanting remakes though. There are probably a ton of several generation old games that would be amazing if remade, and some more begging for that over a Demon's Souls remaster would be nice.

Stoze

Oct 26, 2017
But regardless we've not seen more remakes because this change in mindset is relatively recent.
I don't think it has anything to do with the consumer "mindset". We don't see more remakes because they take way, way more time and resources to make than a remaster. They're basically brand new games.

Deleted member 35598

Banned
Dec 7, 2017
Spain
Just give me Metroid Prime Trilogy ( pretty much confirmed ), Ninja Gaiden 1 & 2, Vanquish and Max Payne 3 and I'm the happiest man on Earth !

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The time and energy it takes to remake a game could be used to make a new game instead and while Remake 2 is amazing there are also bad remakes like Ratchet and Clank, which barely resembles the original game. I'm fine with faithful remasters, basically the game equivalent of a good Blu Ray movie re release.

Makoto Yuki

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I'm still down for remasters as long as a they are the quality of SOTC or Halo: Anniversary. Looking amazing, but underneath it all is the same tried and true gameplay with tiny adjustments at most. Wish they would all come with Halo: Anniversary's push to change graphics option. Really showed what the game was running on.

As for Remakes, Resident Evil has had the right idea all along. REmaster and RE2R are pretty much how to modernize older playing games into new master crafted games.

Also, I personally define a game as a "remaster" if they play the same and are just prettier. While "remakes" are games who have gone through drastic overhauls.

gitrektali

Feb 22, 2018
Nothing really wrong with remasters, but I hope backward compatibility is a norm going into next-gen. Remasters sometimes tweak a few aged elements, which is nice, and it's a good way of preserving stuff. But you're essentially paying more for a remaster than you could pay for grabbing a used copy and run it on a console that supports backward compatibility.

OP
OP
MillionIII

MillionIII

Banned
Sep 11, 2018
Uh, I don't agree with this. For example, while the RE2 remake is cool, it is no substitute for the original, which remains a very fun game even if it is much more limited in its tech than the remake.
While the original is still fun I'd take the new one and day of the week, it's just the definitive way to play re:2.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The things I'd do for a Eternal Darkness remake...

But so far, I think the only remaster I've bought are Gravity Rush and FFXII. I wouldn't consider Bayonetta 2 a remaster on the Switch, but that's also the only port I have. So for me it's not much of a problem, but I do understand that there's a weird balance.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
Remakes on the scale and quality of RE2 are new games from the ground up.

Why make a Remake when you can just make a new game? Very few companies have the right ips

Rabalder.

Dec 8, 2018
It's not either/or. Remasters can be cooked up in a few months by a small team. Remakes on the scale of RE2 take a full team years to create. It's more a case of, do you want remakes or new games?

Deleted member 426

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think it has anything to do with the consumer "mindset". We don't see more remakes because they take way, way more time and resources to make than a remaster. They're basically brand new games.
Right but now fewer people want remasters because they can't put up with the issues with older games. There will always be remasters, but they're proving less viable than remakes in many cases.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Why not drop the remaster and remake idea altogether and make completely new games instead?

Knowing the story and general theme and what the bosses are etc beforehand takes away sooo much enjoyment for me when I play a game, it's like reading through a spoiler thread before playing the game.

OP
OP
MillionIII

MillionIII

Banned
Sep 11, 2018
Remakes on the scale and quality of RE2 are new games from the ground up.

Why make a Remake when you can just make a new game? Very few companies have the right ips
It's a rather safe way to insure fans will enjoy the game and buy it. They have the foundation already and the legacy behind the title, and it's not like we didn't get a new resident evil game because of re:2. We can get both.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
It's a rather safe way to insure fans will enjoy the game and buy it. They have the foundation already and the legacy behind the title, and it's not like we didn't get a new resident evil game because of re:2. We can get both.

It's also a good way to piss people off if you gamble on the wrong changes.

Resident Evil is a strong legacy ip, same with Final fantasy. Not many other ips you'll see a strong demand for remakes.

JoRu

Oct 25, 2017
No thanks. Remasters are harmless because the required time and investment is fairly low, whereas remakes are much closer to the cost of making an entirely new game. And in that case I choose a new game, every time.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
I agree OP, take Onimusha for instance - I would have paid a bit more for a remake that takes away some questionable design decisions and bolster the aspects that work. Right now I'm wary of spending more money on any remaster from that gen.

OP
OP
MillionIII

MillionIII

Banned
Sep 11, 2018
It's also a good way to piss people off if you gamble on the wrong changes.

Resident Evil is a strong legacy ip, same with Final fantasy. Not many other ips you'll see a strong demand for remakes.
Well if they don't like it they can just go back to the original, it's not going anywhere. Many many old games could be remade with up-to-date enhancements, it's just that companies would rather have a quick cash grab in the form of a "remaster". Dark souls in the ds3 engine is something that I would buy, not the crap they've released.

Auctopus

Self-requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Easier said than done. A remake on the scale of SOTC or RE2 take considerably more resources than your average upscale.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
PS2 Classics flopped. PS1 Classic flopped. You can see where remasters chart these days, compared to the likes of Spyro, Crash and Shadows of the Collossus. There's a gigantic gulf between performance of remasters and remakes on the PlayStation platform.
There is also a huge difference in costs

Randdalf

Oct 28, 2017
I would rather have original games made in the spirit of the game that's being remade. So you get a new experience and an old one.

Gavin Stevens

Team Blur Games
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Telford, Shropshire
More like Spyro, then yes please. That game was an utter joy to play.

RE2 though while a fantastic game, has changed way too much. Awful, awful music, some odd padding that wasn't really needed, and story beats that don't quite hit the same level as the original.

So yeah, I would be happy to get remakes that are essentially just the original game with a few control and issues touched up and brand spanking new graphics, but change too much and you risk changing what made the original so great.

Gelf

Oct 27, 2017
Well if they don't like it they can just go back to the original, it's not going anywhere. Many many old games could be remade with up-to-date enhancements, it's just that companies would rather have a quick cash grab in the form of a "remaster". Dark souls in the ds3 engine is something that I would buy, not the crap they've released.
It's a lot easier to go back to the original if a remaster exists. No need to dig out old consoles. I'm liking REmake 2 right now but I'd still love a re-release of the classic version.

This is the wrong either/or choice, remasters are cheaper side projects alongside making new games whereas a remake requires the resources of a new game. Sometimes I appreciate those so called quick cash grabs because I never got to play them originally anyway and remakes never fully replace the originals.

Stoze

Oct 26, 2017
PS2 Classics flopped. PS1 Classic flopped. You can see where remasters chart these days, compared to the likes of Spyro, Crash and Shadows of the Collossus. There's a gigantic gulf between performance of remasters and remakes on the PlayStation platform.
PS1 classic aren't really remasters, it's the original games running on an emulator. And it flopped because it's pricey and people didn't like the lineup among other reasons. Regardless, how does support the conclusion that people can't "put up" with older games though? If anything popular remakes like Crash showcase the opposite, considering they have identical controls and level design to the originals.

OP
OP
MillionIII

MillionIII

Banned
Sep 11, 2018
Without having the numbers of how much it costs to make a remaster compared to how much it costs to make a remake, it's irrelevant
Remasters are cheaper to make it's logical, but seeing how more and more companies remake older titles it's safe to assume that they have an incentive to do so.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Remasters are cheaper to make it's logical, but seeing how more and more companies remake older titles they probably have an incentive to do so.
Also keep in mind that while remasters do not take away new games, remakes do. In an ideal world in which companies had unlimited resources, remakes would be preferable in all cases, but this is not always the case.

Dark_Castle

Oct 27, 2017
I mean it's nice to want things. Remakes are a lot costlier and take longer time, remasters are cheaper ways for publisher to bring in quick bucks.

tyfon

Nov 2, 2017
Norway
Remakes are good..
Remasters.. eh.. I'd rather play it on the original system usually.

Resolution isn't that important to me and there is something about playing stuff on the hardware it was intended for even with the performance issues that can pop up. I think the only game I'd really like remaster of is demons souls.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
I dunno about SOTC, that really was just a plain remaster, Resident Evil 2 is a proper remake that incorporates new ideas & cut ones from 1.5, if SOTC was a remake, we would have gotten a few cut Colossi, new abilities like Wander being able to sword swipe on Agro & a few Colossi being redesigned.

I wish the industry would go in the REmake 2 route instead of a safe remaster.

Deleted member 426

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
PS1 classic aren't really remasters, it's the original games running on an emulator. And it flopped because it's pricey and people didn't like the lineup among other reasons. Regardless, how does support the conclusion that people can't "put up" with older games though? If anything popular remakes like Crash showcase the opposite, considering they have identical controls and level design to the originals.
I mean...just look at the OP.