• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

elLOaSTy

Oct 27, 2017
I met JJ once when I was working at the Apple store.

To say I'm a huge JJ fan might even be an understatement. It was the first and only time I ever met a celeb that actually made me nervous.

I can say for a fact with at least the small time I spent speaking with him that he was incredibly nice to me. Which isn't a big deal on the face of things, but working at The Grove in LA means you run into lots of celebs with their crew and they're usually just disappointing to interact with.

I didn't even recognize the guy at first, he came in wearing just w.e clothing and was kinda sweaty and messy like he rode his bike to the grove or went for a run. He politely asked me for help while I was in the middle of finishing something so he told me he could wait no problem, I also clearly didn't recognize him in the moment. Dude just happened to have bought the wrong size Nike Fuel band and needed a new one, could have easily gone and just found anyone and played the "Do you know who I am?" card. When I returned I was like "OH SHIT YOU'RE JJ ABRAMS". I straight up told him I was a hiuge fan and he was super nice the whole time, asked me about myself and even gave me some advice and wished me luck in my entertainment career. None of this sounds like much but almost every celebrity I met at the grove was at best just in a hurry or impatient.

It was really fucking cool to get to have one of the creators of so many of my favorite things live up to my expectations. I'm glad he's keeping that going, the man is rich and 10 million is not Bad Robot nor his savings, but it's also a real sizeable donation and it comes with a strong and clear message. This is great to see.

Nida

Aug 31, 2019
Everett, Washington

To say I'm a huge JJ fan might even be an understatement. It was the first and only time I ever met a celeb that actually made me nervous.

I can say for a fact with at least the small time I spent speaking with him that he was incredibly nice to me. Which isn't a big deal on the face of things, but working at The Grove in LA means you run into lots of celebs with their crew and they're usually just disappointing to interact with.

I didn't even recognize the guy at first, he came in wearing just w.e clothing and was kinda sweaty and messy like he rode his bike to the grove or went for a run. He politely asked me for help while I was in the middle of finishing something so he told me he could wait no problem, I also clearly didn't recognize him in the moment. Dude just happened to have bought the wrong size Nike Fuel band and needed a new one, could have easily gone and just found anyone and played the "Do you know who I am?" card. When I returned I was like "OH SHIT YOU'RE JJ ABRAMS". I straight up told him I was a hiuge fan and he was super nice the whole time, asked me about myself and even gave me some advice and wished me luck in my entertainment career. None of this sounds like much but almost every celebrity I met at the grove was at best just in a hurry or impatient.

It was really fucking cool to get to have one of the creators of so many of my favorite things live up to my expectations. I'm glad he's keeping that going, the man is rich and 10 million is not Bad Robot nor his savings, but it's also a real sizeable donation and it comes with a strong and clear message. This is great to see.
Have you talked about any of your other encounters in other threads?

OP
OP
DiipuSurotu

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Great post!

Zaied

Oct 27, 2017
Props, J.J. This is one of my favorite statements so far, because while it is important to preach racial equality in these times like most are doing, we need more commentary specifically highlighting police brutality and the absence of justice, especially in light of the protests, and what scumbag cops are doing on video to upset them right now. Investing in these causes is always a great sign, too.

Trejo

Oct 25, 2017
Okay fine JJ, I forgive you for Rise of Skywalker.

All jokes aside, good on him for putting his money where his mouth is. The more the message gets spread out the better and he has a larger reach than most thanks to his position.

Doggg

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Nov 17, 2017
Always nice to see celebrities not spouting dumb shit.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
good on him, and that donation will help a lot of people with bail and organizing

dsosarod

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017

It's awesome that you had that ecounter :)

And even more awesome is the fact that they are giving away that kind of money and that they said what they said!

Bor Gullet

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
He was a clown in TFA and TROS. Rian didn't do any better, but the damage started with TFA. Rian could have turned it around, he didn't.

Finn was maybe a bit too jokey in TFA, but he still felt like a mainstay character with a lot of potential.

TLJ gave him a crappy storyline and TROS did nothing with him.

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
"J.J. Abrams"

Who?

"(Star Wars director)"

Oh cool I loved The Last Jedi.

Seriously, awesome news though.

elLOaSTy

Oct 27, 2017
Have you talked about any of your other encounters in other threads?

No mostly because I think its hard to tell if someone is just having a bad day or just sucks, and most of the people I met were kinda rude and or impatient. So I dont want to just write someone off because of a few minutes when maybe they werent at their best.

I will say that Andy Dick was an insane disruption and is a jackass, and Bob Odenkirk is so nice and would just hang and chat with people often.

It's awesome that you had that ecounter :)

And even more awesome is the fact that they are giving away that kind of money and that they said what they said!

It really is, Im tired of seeing brand bs, put your money where your mouth is and really say something, it's great they did both.

Calvinien

Banned
Jul 13, 2019
User banned (2 weeks): Inappropriate commentary. Prior bans for inappropriate commentary.
I can't wait for Rian Johnson to made a similar pledge, but in a stunning subversion of expectations, steal 10 million from charities fighting racism.

Surakian

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Good!

Oh JJ, I can't stay mad at you forever when you've literally made some of my favorite television shows but made me so mad over Star Trek and Star Wars. Ugh. He's a really good man.