• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 30, 2017
Millie Brown was fantastic and so was the Duke kid. Really good chemistry between the two. Mycroft was a dick and Henry Cavill was a cardboard cutout of a man named Sherlock. Hopefully the inevitable sequels flesh him out a bit more. Otherwise, it was a solid if forgettable flick.

Apr 19, 2018
Did anyone else think there were some bizarre tonal shifts in this flick? Fun movie, but there were some weird moments.
Like the moment she was being drowned by the assassin and then played dead, and then the camera held on her pale, drowned, eyes-opened face for a few seconds before she winks at the audience in a return to quirky, fourth wall breaking form? Then followed by a relatively brutal fight that's capped off with her being saved by her corset.
Just hit me weird, tonally.

Loved that feigned drowned moment personally. It's almost the culmination of the fourth-wall mugging-to-the-camera shtick the movie went for.

But yeah, she does take quite the beat-down from the fookin' legend of Gin Alley (heeeeyyyy, alley fight! Get it? Get it??).

Uhtred

Alt Account
Banned
May 4, 2020
Will my 7 year old daughter like this? Don't care at all about book consistency. Is it a fun watch for dad and daughter?

I personally loved it. Lots of whimsy and intriguing in points. Some heavy/dark plot threads in the background (terrorism) and violence would have me suggesting probably no for your 7 yo, or screen it for yourself first and decide.

I thought my 7yo would be fine but my wife vetoed it after a scene with someone shooting at characters with a shotgun and slamming a crowbar into someone's head. YMMV.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I had some quibbles with it (Enola was more "girl Sherlock" than her own unique thing, pacing was weird, Sherlock seemed under-capable to boost Enola which only diminished Enola's accomplishments) but it was enjoyable and I'd watch a sequel.

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
Loved that feigned drowned moment personally. It's almost the culmination of the fourth-wall mugging-to-the-camera shtick the movie went for.

But yeah, she does take quite the beat-down from the fookin' legend of Gin Alley (heeeeyyyy, alley fight! Get it? Get it??).
The idea isn't bad, I just think it's executed in a way that comes off as really disturbing for what is ostensibly a children's film.

The assassin getting completely brained also felt tonally off.

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017

The Llama

Oct 27, 2017
Watched it over the weekend and my girlfriend and I both really enjoyed it, so I'm surprised to see the lukewarm reception here. I've never read the books so maybe that helped, but I think maybe we got lucky because about 45 minutes in (right when they arrive in London) we turned it off to go watch the newest episode of Ted Lasso with my roommate, and then went and watched the rest (with my roommate, who also really enjoyed it despite missing the first 45 minutes). That may have helped us not notice any pacing issues, since we intentionally screwed up the pacing for ourselves lol.

4 Get!

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 8, 2019
Fun film, a bit longer than it needed to be and there was one part you could have completely cut and it would have zero impact on the plot and would have helped the pacing too. Overall I give it an A-.

Peru

Oct 26, 2017
The movie is fun if lightweight and probably the first great role given to Millie Bobby Brown. She has tons of charisma, who knew after given thrilling characters like 'exasperated kid in Godzilla' to wrestle with.

This will surely be a crowd-pleaser and go on to have several franchise entries.

Cheerilee

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I read the first two (of six) books, and was pleased to see Millie Bobby Brown take on this franchise, since she was great in Stranger Things, and this property seems well-suited to her. I really enjoyed the movie. MBB was great, and Henry Cavill as Sherlock was just a joy to watch. I really hope they make more of these.

One thing to note though, is that the book is significantly different from the movie. And from the looks of it, most people's complaints about the movie are things that the book did differently.

Off the top of my head...
Sherlock was a bigger dick in the books, and a scarier well-meaning antagonist (runaway Enola is literally being hounded by debatably the greatest detective of all time, and he's normally the hero, but from this tilted point of view he's the bad guy, and yet he's unfamiliar family and Enola likes him more than she likes Mycroft, it's a delightful mix of light and dark), while Mycroft was less of a dick, and more just lazy. Sherlock and Mycroft in the books are explicitly not looking for their mother, since Sherlock deduced that she left of her own accord. There was no "mother is Sherlock's problem, and Enola is Mycroft's problem." Mycroft takes point with Enola's guardianship simply because he's the elder and his name is the one on all the paperwork. He's technically responsible, not maliciously motivated. Sherlock and Mycroft don't care why their mother left (and abruptly abandoned Enola), they're just "Eh, whatevs. It's mom. She's free spirited and never does what she's told. Her running away is like, the least surprising thing ever. If she doesn't want to be found, then she won't be found." They (just Sherlock, really) chase after Enola, because unlike their mother who is a capable adult making bad choices, Enola is a child in their care and therefore an incompetent. Enola (unlike their mother) "needs to be saved."

Mycroft in the book seemed to be far less concerned about "breaking" Enola's wild spirit than the fact that child-raising was suddenly dropped on him by his money-embezzling runaway mom, and he doesn't know anything about children (and even less about Enola), except that Enola has seemingly been raised badly, so he plans to have her shipped off to a boarding school where the professionals can deal with the problem (there was no creepy thing with the headmistress crushing on Mycroft). After Enola runs away, Sherlock and Mycroft are like "I think maybe this is our fault. It would seem that we suck as guardians."

It's the combination of Enola not wanting to be shipped off to boarding school (and Mycroft's refusal to listen to anything on the subject) AND Sherlock and Mycroft's refusal to conduct an investigation into their mother's disappearance which prompts Enola to run away from home. If the police can't do anything, and her brothers won't do anything, then it's up to Enola to find her mom and confirm her safety and get some much-deserved answers. And she can't do that from the apparent hell of boarding school.

And, those answers do not come, at least not in books one or two (of six). Enola did not witness her mom's terrorist cell meetings. Enola did not immediately find a karate instructor who is able but unwilling to provide answers or at least pass a message along. Enola has to work to find small clues (mostly wordgame puzzles) that might eventually lead her to her mother over an entire series.

And then, for the immediate mystery of the first book (the Missing Marquess), that whole mystery was basically different, aside from the presence of Tewksbury. In the book, Tewksbury was a runaway because his mom treated him like a dress-up doll, and he wanted a manly adventure. Then an uninvolved kidnapping ring took advantage of the runaway situation by claiming credit and trying to demand a ransom (for the missing kid they didn't have). Enola and Tewksbury didn't meet on the train, while dodging an assassin. They didn't romance. Tewksbury's grandma wasn't trying to kill him to change his vote. There was no politics, beyond Tewksbury's family being wealthy.

Enola's landlady didn't rat Enola out to the cops for the reward money. IIRC, the book-version landlady risked death by standing up to the local mafia and lying to their faces to protect Enola and Tewksbury. And Enola didn't let herself get captured by the police in an act of self-sacrifice, to save Tewksbury (from... the police?).

Since Enola never got caught in the books, she never went to that finishing school, and Sherlock never showed up to have a warm family moment with her, and Tewksbury never showed up to rescue her. (Book-Enola also never stole an automobile.)

After beating the armed-and-dangerous kidnappers, Enola walked Tewksbury right under Sherlock's nose as she brought him safely to the police station, so he could be returned to his overprotective mother, so she could get back to trying to find hers.

And one thing that the book placed some emphasis on was that Enola is no "mini Sherlock". Enola cannot do the things that Sherlock does, nobody can, but Enola is gifted in her own ways.

Last edited:

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
I had no idea it was Millie Bobby Brown. The poster makes her look so different cause it's photoshopped to hell.

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
I thought the first half was fun and cute, but honestly felt like the second half just dragged incessantly and felt out right torturous at times. It was just pointlessly long and drug out at times.

Maturin

Oct 27, 2017
Europe
We watched it as a family over the weekend. Really enjoyed it. Millie really is very talented. Was a shame Mycroft was such a dick, and Sherlock had no real character. But it was a fun family adventure, really nicely made, and the two leads were very good.

Oct 25, 2017
Millie was fantastic and this was a really great role for her. It could have been edited a little bit tighter, it really didn't need to be 2+ hours. I will definitely watch a sequel.

Goodlifr

Nov 6, 2017
I was surprised when it finished, I felt like nothing had actually happened and the mystery was still waiting to be solved.
Was bizarre.

Easy watch though, fairly enjoyable

LiQuid!

Oct 26, 2017
Randomly clicked on it when I was looking for something to watch, went in with no expectations and I was thoroughly charmed. The Stranger Things girl was fantastic in this. Kind of shocked to see such a mild reception to it. Some of the side characters were kind of overcooked but I didn't feel any drag in the pacing or plotting. I was pretty gripped from the start. I guess it helps when a movie is buoyed by such a charismatic lead. It's been a long time since I finished a movie wishing I could spend more time with those characters in that world and immediately wanted to see more. Thrilled to see this is based on books. I typically avoid YA but I'm a sucker for teen detective stories so I'm gonna rocket them up my to-read list and I really hope I like em

Vinimaw

Oct 28, 2017
Fell asleep during the film, didin't get into the "speak to the camera thing", the pace was also good at the beginning but once there is the boy, the story gets kind of boring.
I would much prefer a Sherlock movie with Cavill with some Elona instead of the other way.

kinoki

Oct 28, 2017
Fun movie. Horrible editing. Millie was great. Cavill got too little screen time. Hopefully there's a sequel where the two of them go on an adventure.

Gashprex

Oct 25, 2017
Enjoyed It when she was Enola focusing on solving crimes/her life/society - did not enjoy the weird teen "romance" angle at all.

Dr Doom

Oct 25, 2017
this is like watching a tv series made into movie with the switching storyline. There's like three storylines.

ItIsOkBro

Happy New Year!!
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
That was quite the violent death lol isn't this a kids movie

Edit: nvm he's not dead

Edit 2: nvm he is dead