• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

De-mon

Oct 27, 2017

Ennio Morricone, the Oscar winner whose haunting, inventive scores expertly accentuated the simmering, dialogue-free tension of the spaghetti Westerns directed by Sergio Leone, has died. He was 91.

The Italian composer, who scored more than 500 films — seven for his countryman Leone after they had met as kids in elementary school — died in Rome following complications from a fall last week in which he broke his femur.

A native and lifelong resident of Rome whose first instrument was the trumpet, Morricone won his Oscar for his work on Quentin Tarantino's The Hateful Eight (2015) and also was nominated for his original scores for Terrence Malick's Days of Heaven (1978), Roland Joffe's The Mission (1986), Brian De Palma's The Untouchables (1987), Barry Levinson's Bugsy (1991) and Giuseppe Tornatore's Malena (2000).

Known as "The Maestro," he also received an honorary Oscar in 2007 (presented by Clint Eastwood) for his "magnificent and multifaceted contributions to the art of film music," and he collected 11 David di Donatello Awards, Italy's highest film honors.

Morricone's ripe, pulsating sounds enriched Leone's low-budget shoot-'em-ups A Fistful of Dollars (1964), For a Few Dollars More (1965), The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (1966) — those three starred Eastwood — Once Upon a Time in the West (1968) and Duck, You Sucker (1971).

"The music is indispensable, because my films could practically be silent movies, the dialogue counts for relatively little, and so the music underlines actions and feelings more than the dialogue," Leone, who died in 1989, once said. "I've had him write the music before shooting, really as a part of the screenplay itself."

Source

Last edited:

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
s60kT0V.gif

Lihwem

Mar 17, 2020
One of the GOATs composers for sure. His influence and legacy will keep on living through melodies, new and old, for decades to come.

Hayama Akito

Oct 25, 2017
HOLY SHIT NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO... I don't have words, he is probably with John Williams my favorites. 93 years is still a matter of celebration though. RIP to a REAL legend.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Oh my god no. An absolute master of his craft. Rest in peace you legend of a creative.

Stuntman

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
"Goodbye to Ennio Morricone. The composer has died last night on a Roman clinic affected by a fall. He was 93 years old"

Made a translation, it was an accident. RIP master.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
ohhhhhh man

one of the all time greats. probably second only to john williams imo

so god damn influential. the man's sound literally defines an entire genre.

RIP :(

Yabberwocky

Oct 27, 2017
Fuckkkkkkkkkkkkkkk, that was a headline I never wanted to read. I've always hoped Morricone and John Williams would just... magically become immortal somehow.

Morricone will live on through his extraordinary work, but he will be so very dearly missed.

Terror-Billy

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fuck this year, man. I'm fucking crying right now. This man made me love film music. He was an absolute legend and up there with some of the best composers, if not the best. Thank you for everything you gave to the world, Maestro.

NateDog

Jan 8, 2018
Rest in peace, can't say I know his works as well as others but I've heard enough to know his stature as well as having a few friends that adore his work.