• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 28, 2020
Still a month and a half away from my second dose of Pfizer juice, joyyyyy. I'm 1 of 3 people in our 100+ work staff that still wears a mask at work (and we plan to continue doing so). The only place that actually stuck to social distancing rules near me was the hospital I got my vaccine at. People generally don't seem to care anymore.

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I need to quote that person from weeks ago that they said that they wouldn't do it, but they did, I was right. Vaccines work people, they just do.

Kingdizzi

Banned
Aug 11, 2019
I have a 4-hour train journey planned shortly after that date and the thought of being on a train with a bunch of people without masks or social distancing is giving me considerable anxiety.

Fella, you're fucked.

This is going to be a shitshow, people already walking into my dental practice with no masks on telling me to go fuck myself and this has been the case since Feb really. After July 19th, everything is gonna go to shit. This government don't give two shits and after the Whitty fella got manhandled, he probably thinking everyone can go fuck themselves and he's not better shit to do than tell morons to stay safe with social distancing.

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
I'm so glad we're doing this after everyone has had a chance to have both jabs, especially youngsters working in retail.

..oh wait.

Fucking idiots.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
Only 'comforting' fact is that hospitalizations aren't following suit... yet.
Yeah, about that...

Scotland is up 10x from its low point in May.

Same story as it's always been, people see small increases and say not to worry, but ignore the fact that small increases on small increases eventually mean big increases.

MoosGoMoo

Banned
Jan 27, 2021
The common cold knocks you on your ass for a week?
Most people get an illness once a year that takes a week or so to get over yeah.

You don't get the annual cough/fatigue/sore throat/headache?

I was going to say flu not cold but I know there's a difference between them and I'm not sure what it is.

Croc Man

Oct 27, 2017
I hate their new favourite phrase - "personal responsibility".

You wear masks to protect others, especially the most vulnerable in society.

Of course that's an alien concept to the Tories.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
England in 3 months
maxresdefault.jpg

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
In an ideal world, this would act as a cautionary tale to the rest of the world, but I expect some other governments to follow it and say "if they can do it, why can't we?" with lower vaccination rates.

Oct 27, 2017
They're just going to treat it as if it was the flu basically. People will get it - some people will get a mild dose, some people will get it badly and feel like shit for a couple of weeks, a certain percentage will die from it.

It was inevitably going to go this way, the question is what will the percentages be between mild/bad/dead. That remains to be seen and we all get to be part of the great experiment, huzzah.

Turkoop

Oct 25, 2017
Cologne, GERMANY
I'm working at the medical department in Germany and we all have Delta in our minds and already preparing for necessary steps when it will overrun us.
Russia has its issues since few weeks, England had around 23k cases yesterday. It's spreading and we are concerned that the vaccines won't help.

Oct 27, 2017
But hey, now Covid is over in the eyes of the government, there's no reason not to start the promised public enquiry into the government's handing of it, right? Right?

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Fella, you're fucked.

This is going to be a shitshow, people already walking into my dental practice with no masks on telling me to go fuck myself and this has been the case since Feb really. After July 19th, everything is gonna go to shit. This government don't give two shits and after the Whitty fella got manhandled, he probably thinking everyone can go fuck themselves and he's not better shit to do than tell morons to stay safe with social distancing.

Yeah, my trip is long but completely unnecessary, I'm quite tempted to just not go. I haven't booked tickets for anything yet so there's no money lost.

DSync

Oct 27, 2017
Nah man fuck that I'm still going to wear my mask

I've been lucky enough to have both of my shots at the start of the year mainly cuz of my weight and age but it's other people i care about

zuf

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, my trip is long but completely unnecessary, I'm quite tempted to just not go. I haven't booked tickets for anything yet so there's no money lost.
Push it back a few weeks if possible. With the rising cases and removal of restrictions, I'll be much more cautious from 19th July than I was a couple of months ago when everything looked to be getting better.

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017
In hindsight it should have been obvious that as soon as the powerful were able to get vaccinated and remove the one slight risk to themselves that may have caused them to begrudgingly act with some caution, it would just be full speed ahead and let em die

Bobson Dugnutt

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
replying from the earlier thread that got closed.

It's hard to say right now, because despite the current status of the UKs vaccination program, hospitalisation is still growing exponentially.

my understanding is that hospital stays are shorter than they were during the last two spikes due to it not effecting older/vulnerable people as much now due to vaccinations and natural immunity. So it might be something that is able to be managed.

If vaccine efficacy craters and/or there's a big rise in long covid then I could see that there might be a need for winter restrictions. one more time. But with zero covid being really unfeasible there has to be zero restrictions at some point and that should continue if those two things don't happen. Deaths are still very low considering the rise in admissions.

Jeeeezzz I feel so bad for the UK.

I remember when folks would ask if Brexit or Trump was worse, but the fact that England has the Tories holding an iron grip on the country with no end in sight is fucked.
Erm, Covid is letting rip through many US states in populations that have way lower vaccination rates than the UK doesm it's not the best country to make a comparison with when you could have chosen almost any developed country lol

Plus free and fair elections could be all but over in many of their states soon, if not already. let's not look longingly at the US or anything.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why now? This seems so arbitrary to go from some restrictions to fully opened.

They've been waiting to fully lift the restrictions for a while. They had this road map and everything that they had to delay by a month or so because of the new variant. Evidently they care more about the optics of another delay than they do about the spread of the virus.

Snarfington

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Why now? This seems so arbitrary to go from some restrictions to fully opened.

Cuz Boris gave a date and his party will give him hell if he pushes it back again.

There might be some modelling reason to do it now vs in another month, but with cases how they are let's not be under any illusion that the core reason for this ISN'T to placate the weird alt-right SCOAR MOR GOLS NO MOR MASK wing of the Tory party.

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
It's fucking peak 4 and STILL people don't get that hospitalisations lag by two weeks and deaths lag by 4.

Every. single. time. People and news reports and politicians say "well it's not going up yet" when knowing full well it's just a matter of time.

Yes the vaccine will/should mean that the case to death ratio will be much much lower...but deaths will still.follow case numbers on a relative basis. Double cases, double deaths.

No point whatsoever getting rid of masks, they should stay compulsory...it's an absolute minimum hardship for keeping infections less out of control than they would be otherwise.

Hellers

Oct 27, 2017
We're in the middle of a culture war that boils down to people willing to work with the idea of collective responsibility and those who essentially say "Fuck you. I'm alright"
Unfortunately for us the media have latched onto this like the dying industry they are and are stoking the flames as high as they can go. Shit like Johnson's announcement today are just the latest round.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
In the coming weeks random testing is being scrapped, face masks requirements have been removed and the 10 day isolation is being abolished.

so the massive increase in kids being sent home will stop, and they'll have no idea how many actually are infected and pass it on. The only saving grace is summer holidays may save the day before every school becomes Covid Soup

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
I wonder if the economy is doubly screwed by covid and brexit that they had to do it or really, Boris just wants to save summer headline, probably both.
It's like how, despite all warning, he wanted to be seen as the guy who saved Christmas...then last minute had to pull it back, but people just got confused or ignored it and thus we had a huge January/February issue

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
Seems stupid to push if not every adult had the chance to get fully vaxxed.

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
As an American I'm a bit confused by the rise in cases, as a majority of people in the UK had at least one dose of a vaccine (85% according to the BBC). Why are American cities not seeing the same rise in cases given a similar or even lower vaccination rate? From what I understand, the delta variant is now in major metro areas in the U.S. Perhaps we're just behind the curve a bit?