• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sqrt

Oct 26, 2017
Dutch authorities are investigating after a Boeing 747-400 cargo plane dropped engine parts shortly after takeoff from Maastricht airport.

The Longtail Aviation Flight 5504 cargo plane scattered mostly small metal parts over the southern Dutch town of Meerssen on Saturday, causing damage and injuring a woman.

The Bermuda-registered plane, which was headed from Maastricht to New York, was powered by Pratt & Whitney PW4000 engines, a smaller version of those on a United Airlines Boeing 777 involved in an incident in Colorado on Saturday.

Dozens of pieces fell, Hendriks said, measuring about 5cm wide and up to 25cm long. The aircraft landed safely at Liege airport in Belgium, 19 miles (30 km) south of the Dutch border.

www.theguardian.com

Engine parts drop from Boeing 747 cargo plane in Netherlands

Longtail Aviation cargo plane scatters small metal parts over Meerssen, injuring woman

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
This is pretty darn close chronologically to the United incident. Odd since this is an ultra rare occurrence. What a crazy coincidence.

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
What the hell is going on with these planes recently? I thought they were increasing safety checks as a result of what happened a few days ago in Denver?

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
Uhhhh getting flashbacks to the stores for the Max plane before it was grounded, just thankfully without the death and destruction this time.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
Thankful they landed safely but the fuck is going on? I know this kind of thing can and has happened, but why does it keep happening? Especially so close to each other seeing as I feel these incidents are pretty damn rare?

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
They manufacture the structure the engine sits in.
Still statistical outliers. Boeing planes are doing thousands of flights per day. Not to defend them. Their MAX fiasco is unforgiveable.

But the human mind hates these associations. Causes a lot of panic. Hopefully, they can resolve it.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
This seems more Pratt & Whitney's problem than Boeing. Hopefully they get it fixed before an Airbus falls out of the sky.

Oct 27, 2017
They manufacture the structure the engine sits in.
But the issue seems to be the engine themselves. The nacelles, so far, have done their jobs which is to contain any issue or explosive force with the engine like the blade separation in this incident. The fact that all these planes landed safely without any hull breach means the structures performed as expected.

Koukalaka

Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
Still statistical outliers. Boeing planes are doing thousands of flights per day. Not to defend them. Their MAX fiasco is unforgiveable.

But the human mind hates these associations. Causes a lot of panic. Hopefully, they can resolve it.

This is important context - I'd wager more people probably die worldwide in single popular model of car over a few weeks than die in any Boeing model of aircraft over the course of a year.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
This is important context - I'd wager more people probably die worldwide in single popular model of car over a few weeks than die in any Boeing model of aircraft over the course of a year.
Oh definitely. But something about air travel that creates a lot of panic. It's not rational either. It's our mind playing tricks on us.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
Boeing's not having the best time of their lives are they...

You mean Pratt and Whitney.

Boeing is coming out looking good because the planes have had engines fail and still land safely.

Keep in mind we're talking about the 747 and the OG 777. These are old planes. It's possible that the MTBF on the PW engines isn't as high as advertised and they're unexpectedly hitting EoL early.

What the hell is going on with these planes recently? I thought they were increasing safety checks as a result of what happened a few days ago in Denver?
Thankful they landed safely but the fuck is going on? I know this kind of thing can and has happened, but why does it keep happening? Especially so close to each other seeing as I feel these incidents are pretty damn rare?

This incident happened the same day as the Denver incident. It was talked about in the other thread.

Issue appears to be with the PW engine, not the airframe.

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
You mean Pratt and Whitney.

Boeing is coming out looking good because the planes have had engines fail and still land safely.

Keep in mind we're talking about the 747 and the OG 777. These are old planes. It's possible that the MTBF on the PW engines isn't as high as advertised and they're unexpectedly hitting EoL early.
I am aware that Boeing doesn't build the turbines. Nevertheless the news headings are all going to have Boeing in them and the general public won't care about such OEM/Supplier details...

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
Dunno about the 747 engine but the FAA said the 777 engine is only used in 777 planes so Airbus should be fine

That is because the FAA is being very precise.

To use a rough PC comparison, that's like saying that the 3070 and 3080 are completely different video cards, so if Nvidia has an issue with the platform, only one is potentially at risk.

Both the 777 and the A330 use PW4000 series engines.

One uses the PW4000-100. The other uses the PW4000-112.

The 747, A300, A310, 767, and MD-11 use the PW4000-94.

Oct 27, 2017
Dunno about the 747 engine but the FAA said the 777 engine is only used in 777 planes so Airbus should be fine
There are 3 different versions of the same engine. These are the different models and the planes they're used on. From Wikipedia.

PW4000-94
Thrust range: 231–276 kN (52,000 lbf – 62,000 lbf)
  • Airbus A300-600
  • Airbus A310-300
  • Boeing 747-400 (and Scaled Composites Stratolaunch)
  • Boeing 767-200/-300(Including ER Version and Boeing Converted Freighter version except -300F)/-2C/Boeing KC-46A
  • McDonnell Douglas MD-11
PW4000-100
Thrust range: 287–311 kN (64,500 lbf – 70,000 lbf)
  • Airbus A330
PW4000-112
Thrust range: 329–436 kN (74,000 lbf – 98,000 lbf)
  • Boeing 777-200, -200ER, -300. (Note that this does not include the -200LR or -300ER).

SilentPanda

Nov 6, 2017
Earth
After Saturday's engine failure, Boeing says many 777s should be grounded

"Boeing is actively monitoring recent events related to United Airlines Flight 328," the company stated on Sunday. "While the NTSB investigation is ongoing, we recommended suspending operations of the 69 in-service and 59 in-storage 777s powered by Pratt & Whitney 4000-112 engines until the FAA identifies the appropriate inspection protocol."

There are versions of the 777 aircraft with engines built by three different manufacturers. For about the last 15 years, new 777s have all been delivered with GE-made engines. So this recommendation applies to older models of the aircraft still in service.
Also on Sunday, engine manufacturer Pratt & Whitney withheld detailed comment about the investigation, pending findings from the NTSB. "Pratt & Whitney is actively coordinating with operators and regulators to support the revised inspection interval of the Pratt & Whitney PW4000 engines that power Boeing 777 aircraft," the company said.

arstechnica.com

After Saturday’s engine failure, Boeing says many 777s should be grounded

Many of the engine components fell over populated areas.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
My fav Boeing story in recent memory was when they put out a press release early in the pandemic when politicians were trying to figure out how relief should happen for individuals/businesses and spent 3-4 paragraphs talking about how the lack of flying/pandemic decimated their business and how they needed a bailout bad...with no mention of the Max incident.

Quiet as kept, the pandemic was probably the 'best' thing to happen to them; I remember reading reports that due to the grounding of the Max there were questions that they would not be able to deliver 2020 airplane orders and as a result travel would have been disrupted travel before the pandemic did the job for them.

www.nytimes.com

Problems Pile Up for Boeing as 737 Max Delays Continue (Published 2019)

The timing is as precarious as ever. Global regulators still need to approve a software fix.

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Now are these brand new manufactured planes that are breaking, or old planes that have just been flown into retirement or not maintained properly

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
The last 747-400 was built in 2009 so it is an old one. The last BCF model in 1998.

Isn't this the third one in the last week? The Texas one happened the same day as another one in Europe iirc.
This topic is like three days too late, it is the europe one that happened becks the Texas one.

ShadowAUS

Feb 20, 2019
Australia
Now are these brand new manufactured planes that are breaking, or old planes that have just been flown into retirement or not maintained properly
The last 747-400 was built in 2009 so it is an old one.
I'm pretty sure this particular airframe involved in the incident is about 30 years old.

Longtail Aviation VQ-BWT (Boeing 747 - MSN 24975) (Ex 9V-SMI D-ACGC EW-511TQ PH-MPQ VT-AIQ ) | Airfleets aviation

Longtail Aviation VQ-BWT (Boeing 747 - MSN 24975) (Ex 9V-SMI D-ACGC EW-511TQ PH-MPQ VT-AIQ ) details, operators, engines, seating, photos

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Short sellers going into hangers with screwdrivers and loosening up engine parts

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I'm pretty sure this particular airframe involved in the incident is about 30 years old.

Longtail Aviation VQ-BWT (Boeing 747 - MSN 24975) (Ex 9V-SMI D-ACGC EW-511TQ PH-MPQ VT-AIQ ) | Airfleets aviation

Longtail Aviation VQ-BWT (Boeing 747 - MSN 24975) (Ex 9V-SMI D-ACGC EW-511TQ PH-MPQ VT-AIQ ) details, operators, engines, seating, photos

Well, in that case I guess the blame is less on Boeing and more on the Airlines not doing proper maintenance, or running the aircraft beyond their lifespans.

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
Well, in that case I guess the blame is less on Boeing and more on the Airlines not doing proper maintenance, or running the aircraft beyond their lifespans.
Until we actually know what happened we have no idea what's gone wrong or where to apportion blame.